1st Timers: 1 Question, 1 Answer

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby Elorrum » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Okay I have a question about coffee. How the heck do you get a french press clean enough to use again without running water? I was sure I'd have to settle for drip but lots of people on here talk like using a french press on the playa is no big deal. Are y'all carting out copious amounts of grey water or what?

I stopped using a french press camping because I never had a good experience cleaning it. But... if you just make the one pot in the morning. let it dry. then cleaning is easier. As ygmir notes... how clean? Wipe it out with a paper towel, spray with garden sprayer etc. I use a moka pot, like this bialetti, two chambers, coffee in filter cup in the middle. water steams up through the coffee. coffee grounds are a hard little puck you can tap out of the filter. sure, rinse it if you have company... ;)
Image
User avatar
Elorrum
 
Posts: 5047
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:09 pm
Location: San Jose, CA

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:40 pm

Elorrum wrote:I stopped using a french press camping because I never had a good experience cleaning it. But... if you just make the one pot in the morning. let it dry. then cleaning is easier. As ygmir notes... how clean? Wipe it out with a paper towel, spray with garden sprayer etc. I use a moka pot, like this bialetti, two chambers, coffee in filter cup in the middle. water steams up through the coffee. coffee grounds are a hard little puck you can tap out of the filter. sure, rinse it if you have company... ;)


Thanks! And thank you Ygmir, knocking out the big lumps might be enough that if I let the thing dry, a brush could do the rest. But just one pot? I tend to get weepy :cry: if don't get enough coffee. Maybe a really big pot... 8) Or a moka pot! That looks great! Do you have to let it cool before you can brew again?
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
User avatar
MyDearFriend
 
Posts: 3484
Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 5:22 am
Location: Washington, DC
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:00 pm

ygmir wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:Okay I have a question about coffee. How the heck do you get a french press clean enough to use again without running water? I was sure I'd have to settle for drip but lots of people on here talk like using a french press on the playa is no big deal. Are y'all carting out copious amounts of grey water or what?


clean?
other than knocking the big stuff out......well........I guess we all have our levels of clean.


Agreed.. I would venture to think that you could get away with not using any water to "clean" it whatsoever. Just knock the wet grounds out and re-fill. Shouldn't make a bit of difference really..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5812
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Your mom's tent
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Rilopie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:56 am

Those instant packets from starbucks are yummy imo. Extra trash, but its pretty minimal. I don't go camping without them!
Rilopie
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:18 pm
Location: Sacramento
Burning Since: 2008

Postby graidawg » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:12 am

Elorrum wrote:
MyDearFriend wrote:Okay I have a question about coffee. How the heck do you get a french press clean enough to use again without running water? I was sure I'd have to settle for drip but lots of people on here talk like using a french press on the playa is no big deal. Are y'all carting out copious amounts of grey water or what?

I stopped using a french press camping because I never had a good experience cleaning it. But... if you just make the one pot in the morning. let it dry. then cleaning is easier. As ygmir notes... how clean? Wipe it out with a paper towel, spray with garden sprayer etc. I use a moka pot, like this bialetti, two chambers, coffee in filter cup in the middle. water steams up through the coffee. coffee grounds are a hard little puck you can tap out of the filter. sure, rinse it if you have company... ;)
Image


I was planning on bringing one of these with me, with some of my favorite coffee's - last time i was in nevada I couldnt find one in the wal mart - and i couldn't find a decent coffee anywhere.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
User avatar
graidawg
 
Posts: 3091
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:50 am
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby montanaprometheus » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:50 am

One more.

Question: Why does everyone seem to have a problem with shirt-cockers? Why isn't this considered fucking with their burn?
Nipples; what we used before the invention of Silly Putty.
User avatar
montanaprometheus
 
Posts: 159
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:28 pm
Location: In the Wilderness

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:29 am

montanaprometheus wrote:One more.

Question: Why does everyone seem to have a problem with shirt-cockers? Why isn't this considered fucking with their burn?


Mostly a running joke... but really, to me, it is a poke at how little effort they make. No costumes are required, but just taking off your pants? Euw? Why not go whole hog? T-shirts provide very little real sun protection, why not wear something simple and cool like a cape?
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17670
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby vosam » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 am

For those of you who have to deal with passports, wheres a good place to hide them? I was thinking the car glove box, but is that safe?
vosam
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:00 pm
Location: winnipeg

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:37 am

vosam wrote:For those of you who have to deal with passports, wheres a good place to hide them? I was thinking the car glove box, but is that safe?


Yes. The trick is, where are you going to stash the car keys? Seriously, people lose their keys on the playa on a regular basis.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17670
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TomServo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:38 am

I'd have to say the back trunk, since thats the hardest to get to. Just keep it locked.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6138
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:42 am

TomServo wrote:I'd have to say the back trunk, since thats the hardest to get to. Just keep it locked.


I forgot about the truck as none of our vehicles has one!
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17670
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby TomServo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:45 am

AntiM wrote:
TomServo wrote:I'd have to say the back trunk, since thats the hardest to get to. Just keep it locked.


I forgot about the truck as none of our vehicles has one!


yeah yeah...I drive a truck too. Assuming they are driving a regular 4 wheeler.
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
User avatar
TomServo
 
Posts: 6138
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004 2:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby vosam » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:00 am

yeah we would have a car haha. would a car port be worth while buying? or does the wind just destroy them?
vosam
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:00 pm
Location: winnipeg

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:22 am

vosam wrote:yeah we would have a car haha. would a car port be worth while buying? or does the wind just destroy them?


Carports are used more to shade tents and people than cars. They do hold up, but require good planning to secure them in the wind, and practice to get it right. You will need some type of shade to sit in, even if it is minimal. Your car will be fine. Take steps to reduce exposure to dust in the car: towels or sheets on the dash and seats, don't open it unless you MUST, bring a set of clean clothes and non-dusty shoes for the trip home and keep them in a bag in the car.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17670
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby vosam » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:23 am

you guys are wonderful, thank you !
vosam
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:00 pm
Location: winnipeg

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:50 am

AntiM wrote:
vosam wrote:For those of you who have to deal with passports, wheres a good place to hide them? I was thinking the car glove box, but is that safe?


Yes. The trick is, where are you going to stash the car keys? Seriously, people lose their keys on the playa on a regular basis.


If you can find a wireless keypad for your vehicle, then you can lock the keys in the car where they're nice and safe. :) I know nissan has them, not sure about other car companies. You basically just program a code into it peel off the adhesive tape and stick it someplace on the vehicle and it'll unlock the vehicle like a normal remote.
Orphan Endorphin Camp
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
User avatar
mudpuppy000
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:54 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby moonrise » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:05 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
AntiM wrote:
vosam wrote:For those of you who have to deal with passports, wheres a good place to hide them? I was thinking the car glove box, but is that safe?


Yes. The trick is, where are you going to stash the car keys? Seriously, people lose their keys on the playa on a regular basis.


If you can find a wireless keypad for your vehicle, then you can lock the keys in the car where they're nice and safe. :) I know nissan has them, not sure about other car companies. You basically just program a code into it peel off the adhesive tape and stick it someplace on the vehicle and it'll unlock the vehicle like a normal remote.


If I had passports and such, it wouldn't take much more to hide them better than JUST in the glove box...it'd be easy to try a little harder and find a better hiding place, even in a rental car!

keys; I went low tech, I had 2 extra keys made and did the usual hide one in a magnet key holder on the vehicle (please don't look, mmmk? lol) and the other was hidden well within my camp. You may need to move your vehicle during burning man, for reconfiguration of the camp you're in btw, calling a locksmith would be too costly and a drag no matter what.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:15 am

Maybe I'm old school... but I usually leave them in the ignition with both wind wings unlocked. No one seems to mess with the truck - of course, it's also the anchor for some of our structures, so that may have something to do with it - but I don't worry about my keys becoming moop.

I also have a strongbox that locks that is anchored to the playa from inside, and another attached securely to the bed of the truck (or similar spot). Anything of value goes in there, and I don't worry about it too much.
User avatar
Lassen Forge
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:32 am

Yup, car keys in the glovebox and doors unlocked. Nothing to steal in the car and there's many better targets than my keys in the glovebox.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5812
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Your mom's tent
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby moonrise » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:50 am

@BB, yea, I meandered around that Mash and I think Apokoliptika area of the BRC, any fool that would try to drive off with your vehicle attached to your srtuctures, well this would make the newspapers and dawg help those dumb enough, LOL

@JS, where are you camped again? Maybe i can borrow the big box truck set up? haha, i'm sure you're attached to some sort of other structures too! LOL

eh, i didn't worry so much about theft as i did losing the friggin' key, ya know?
one less distraction (and potential waste of money for a locksmith)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
User avatar
moonrise
 
Posts: 2204
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:07 pm
Location: Silver Circle; Reno, Tahoe, Vegas

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:16 pm

I have a spare set of keys on a lanyard around my neck when not in camp. (It also has my spare ID and led flashlight on it.)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
User avatar
FIGJAM
 
Posts: 8553
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:39 am
Location: apache junction az.

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:23 pm

AntiM wrote:
montanaprometheus wrote:One more.

Question: Why does everyone seem to have a problem with shirt-cockers? Why isn't this considered fucking with their burn?


Mostly a running joke... but really, to me, it is a poke at how little effort they make. No costumes are required, but just taking off your pants? Euw? Why not go whole hog? T-shirts provide very little real sun protection, why not wear something simple and cool like a cape?


Males are lucky enough to pack fat all over their bodies with a little extra on the gut. So a relatively out of shape dude still looks acceptable nude even if he is conscientious of his stomach. hence the shirt and not the full monty.

just a theory.
User avatar
mdmf007
Moderator
 
Posts: 5156
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:32 pm
Location: my computer
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:42 pm

moonrise wrote:@JS, where are you camped again? Maybe i can borrow the big box truck set up? haha, i'm sure you're attached to some sort of other structures too! LOL



Lol yeah I usually get used as an anchor for the carports around me. Last year we were at 7:30 & B.. curious to see what we get this year. My camp (Inspiratum) is pretty well established though, so we usually get either A or B and somewhere between 5-7 o'clock. Last year was pretty perfect.. not gonna lie..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5812
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Your mom's tent
Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Lassen Forge » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:45 pm

mdmf007 wrote:
AntiM wrote:
montanaprometheus wrote:One more.

Question: Why does everyone seem to have a problem with shirt-cockers? Why isn't this considered fucking with their burn?


Mostly a running joke... but really, to me, it is a poke at how little effort they make. No costumes are required, but just taking off your pants? Euw? Why not go whole hog?


Males are lucky enough to pack fat all over their bodies with a little extra on the gut. So a relatively out of shape dude still looks acceptable nude even if he is conscientious of his stomach. hence the shirt and not the full monty.


Awful lot of guys I see have a little more than a little extra. Someone once told me there's a male instinct to build a shelter for that which they love, however I think they built a whole fracking verandah with roll-out pool cover for a vienna sausage...

I've seen guys who may not be totally athletic or buff but aren't aftraid to get their full body allotment of Vitamin D... however, there are some who ARE rather buff, which makes it a damn nice day. ;)

It depends - is it part of a costume, or a look, or is it an easy and cheap way to explore exhibitionism? I dunno. I could imagine that it would be mighty painful once sunburned... then again, maybe that shirt is there for a Quick tie-off in case ol' Willie Peter decides to do its little up periscope trick... while in a group of others...
User avatar
Lassen Forge
 
Posts: 5322
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:35 pm
Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:03 pm

I think last year was MyLarry's first time letting the little guy free in public with his cowboy outfit. He sure got a lot of attention from the guys. LOL. I think he looked dashing. No veranda on him! However, I have a roomy mansion with extra guest cottages, a coach house, and a bowling alley.

Thread drift.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
User avatar
AntiM
Moderator
 
Posts: 17670
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:23 am
Location: Wild, Wild West
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Lucidvegas » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:15 pm

Best way to deal with all the anxiety and excitement about going to my first burning man!? Doing a lot of reading and loose planning already since I will be in charge of all the logistics for me and my little crew. I feel overwhelmed sometimes! But I'm also so excited, I know how healthy and awesome it's is going to be for us!
User avatar
Lucidvegas
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:18 pm

Postby Mojojita » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:22 pm

Make lists - lists of every single thing to do, to buy, menus, packing lists. It helps you be organized enough to not forget much and occupies all that excited energy. Connect with some local burners in your area and ask your list of questions.
User avatar
Mojojita
 
Posts: 1128
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:17 am
Location: Under your bed

Postby delle » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:28 pm

AntiM wrote: However, I have a roomy mansion with extra guest cottages, a coach house, and a bowling alley.

Thread drift.


Sounds like my vagina after my last kid! Damn shame!!! :cry:
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
User avatar
delle
 
Posts: 1910
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:13 pm

Postby BeanTown » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:03 pm

I will be packing food for myself and my girlfriend, both of us have low blood sugar issues and food allergies, mostly nuts and dairy. Any food suggestion and how big of a cooler do you usually take?
BeanTown
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:24 am
Location: Reno

Postby Savannah » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:19 pm

These are some of my favorite food threads:

Playa Food for the Extremely Lazy
viewtopic.php?t=35723

Realistic Non-Cooler Based Menu Planning
viewtopic.php?t=35430

FOOD: What is Your Favorite Fun Item to Bring to Share?
viewtopic.php?t=34828

But there are food threads all over in the Q&A forum if you dig back far enough.

Beantown, what will be important for anyone with low blood sugar issues is to make sure you have enough portable, substantial snacks, and always have at least one for you and one for your girlfriend (and she should do the same) any time you leave camp--in addition to a full canteen. For example, always have a bag of jerky or tuna and crackers pack, or some sort of nutrition bar that meets your standards, and maybe a Pedialyte or similar. It's a very old playa story: you leave camp to go two blocks for "just a few minutes" and see a new friend. Suddenly it's 8 hours later, you are all the way across the playa watching a noir film with some Hungarian ecstatic dancers and you are shaky and starving and have no bike. :)
User avatar
Savannah
Moderator
 
Posts: 11305
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:33 pm
Burning Since: I'm not sure

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], MyDearFriend and 3 guests