Camp Potties

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Camp Potties

Postby unjonharley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:42 pm

Has this been covered before??

If I have a chem pot in my camp.. Will it be ok to dump into the Port A Pots??
unjonharley

Postby AntiM » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:45 pm

No, not the chemicals. That you get to pack out. Pee seems to be acceptable, but not in large quantities.
I could be wrong.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby unjonharley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:58 pm

AntiM wrote:No, not the chemicals. That you get to pack out. Pee seems to be acceptable, but not in large quantities.
I could be wrong.

The chemicals are he same as the blue water in the Port A Pots..
unjonharley

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:26 pm

The potty people are fine with piss jugs being emptied in the porto potties. Realistically if it came from your body it can go in the potty. Just keep it to one ply camping or RV type toilet paper.

This would be a great question for one of the Mike's that manage the USS operation. They are the former owners of JOTS before they sold it to USS.

I don't know the specific answer on the chemical. Here is the phone # for USS in Reno. (775) 826-5646 ‎ I bet they could give a definitive answer. A great thing to know if they did allow the blue chemical is if there is a specific treatment chemical that they don't want put in the potty. Perhaps they could recommend one brand that they would support people using and for the sake of simplicity exclude all others. It is the weekend otherwise I would call.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby unjonharley » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:33 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:The potty people are fine with piss jugs being emptied in the porto potties. Realistically if it came from your body it can go in the potty. Just keep it to one ply camping or RV type toilet paper.

This would be a great question for one of the Mike's that manage the USS operation. They are the former owners of JOTS before they sold it to USS.

I don't know the specific answer on the chemical. Here is the phone # for USS in Reno. (775) 826-5646 ‎ I bet they could give a definitive answer. A great thing to know if they did allow the blue chemical is if there is a specific treatment chemical that they don't want put in the potty. Perhaps they could recommend one brand that they would support people using and for the sake of simplicity exclude all others. It is the weekend otherwise I would call.

Hey thanks,, I'll call and find out for the rest of us
unjonharley

Re: Camp Potties

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:01 pm

unjonharley wrote:.
Has this been covered before??

If I have a chem pot in my camp.. Will it be ok to dump into the Port A Pots??

Just please let us know when you are on the move toward the porta pots with your sloshing container of gawd-knows-what.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:24 am

motskyroonmatick wrote:The potty people are fine with piss jugs being emptied in the porto potties. Realistically if it came from your body it can go in the potty. Just keep it to one ply camping or RV type toilet paper.

Spoke to USS this morning.. It is OK the dump my human waste toilet into the port a pots.. The waste has to be under the same rule as the port a pots...

My toilet breaks down to a suitcase dump compartment with a discharge tube to control flow.. Used for camping.. It is dumped into the home toilet.. Only urine,crap and one ply paper.. The (blue) water helps break down matter for easyer flow..
unjonharley

Postby Trishntek » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks UJH! We will have something like what you describe this year also. I already thought the blue stuff was okay, but it is good to know for sure!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:11 pm

I think CfM suggested something like this along with 10lbs of cat litter. I have to think this would be a better solution (at least for emergency use) than dealing with slopping blue water.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:26 pm

The toilet I was talking about has a fresh (blue) water tank.. This flashes into a sealed holding tank.. The holding tank when removed (still sealed) can be carried suitcase style.. Attach th dump spout and open the flow gate..

I have a Lug A Lue like the one jkisha posted.. It has been to BM 9 times.. I use ceder saw dust for clumping.. The land fill hee ecepts the bags.. The down side is.. Having to transport and adding plastic to the land fill..

The Port A Potties are dumped onto garlic fields.. That'll ward off your evil spirets :D
unjonharley

Postby Boijoy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:30 pm

Is that why garlic tastes like it does??
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:41 pm

Boijoy wrote:Is that why garlic tastes like it does??

Some can only hope..
unjonharley

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:42 pm

I think I'm going to be eliminating garlic from my cooking.

JK
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:48 pm

unjonharley wrote:The toilet I was talking about has a fresh (blue) water tank.. This flashes into a sealed holding tank.. The holding tank when removed (still sealed) can be carried suitcase style.. Attach th dump spout and open the flow gate..

I have a Lug A Lue like the one jkisha posted.. It has been to BM 9 times.. I use ceder saw dust for clumping.. The land fill hee ecepts the bags.. The down side is.. Having to transport and adding plastic to the land fill..

The Port A Potties are dumped onto garlic fields.. That'll ward off your evil spirets :D

Ya, I've seen them; I think Coleman makes one similar to what you are describing too. It's just the thought of dumping it and then having to clean it. I don't like even cleaning the toilet, but crap doesn't sit there for days, so I can't imagine...or maybe I can imagine, which is why the cat litter idea is more appealing to me. And the plastic--hell, what's one more bag? We carry out probably 20 or more plastic bags of just regular trash.

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:56 pm

jkisha wrote:I think CfM suggested something like this along with 10lbs of cat litter. I have to think this would be a better solution (at least for emergency use) than dealing with slopping blue water.

JK

Indeed. On my other burns/camping trips, that's what I use. Just me, mind you. I stick it in one corner of my tent, it works great and is easy-peasy to haul out.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:46 pm

C.f.M. wrote:
Indeed. On my other burns/camping trips, that's what I use. Just me, mind you. I stick it in one corner of my tent, it works great and is easy-peasy to haul out.

So, do you use it regularly for both peeing and pooping?
And if so, do you use a cat litter scoop to clean it out regularly?

Not meaning to pry to deeply into your personal bathroom habits, but we're thinking of using this, but not sure about how much upkeep and whether it should be used more for emergencies rather than daily use.

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:01 pm

do you use it regularly for both peeing and pooping? Whenever I'm near it, yes. I also use the public ones - but mostly my pee funnel and that toilet.

Ha ha, no. The litter is to absorb the liquid and, I guess, hide the odor (which I've never had a single issue with). No scooping. At the end you just stick the whole bucket in your car or take the bag out and put the bag with your other trash.

not sure about how much upkeep and whether it should be used more for emergencies rather than daily use.

My friend uses one of the camping ones that has the bags with the gel in them, she started that for IBC emergencies. Mine is mostly middle of the night, first thing in the morning or when I'm getting dressed for the evening. And, it just me. Nobody else uses it.
C.f.M.

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:03 pm

jkisha wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:

So, do you use it regularly for both peeing and pooping?

Not meaning to pry to deeply into your personal bathroom habits, but we're thinking of using this, but not sure about how much upkeep and whether it should be used more for emergencies rather than daily use.

JK

You don't clean out the Lug A Lues.. Just add cat litter or saw dust.. I use it part way up then put in a new bag.. Carry an extra 5gal bucket for the soiled bags.. Boys should pee in another jug to keep the water content down..
unjonharley

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:36 pm

Thanks CfM and ujh

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:11 pm

If you're uncertain that you want to bother with chemicals or cleaning a camping toilet out later, I have to say that just having a 2-liter bottle (and a Freshette funnel) saved me a lot of time in 2010. I only used the portos when I was out and about, or for serious business.

It's nice to have an opaque plastic bag to carry the bottle in for the daily emptying into trough or urinal.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:18 pm

Savannah wrote:If you're uncertain that you want to bother with chemicals or cleaning a camping toilet out later, I have to say that just having a 2-liter bottle (and a Freshette funnel) saved me a lot of time in 2010. I only used the portos when I was out and about, or for serious business.

It's nice to have an opaque plastic bag to carry the bottle in for the daily emptying into trough or urinal.

I save useable containers to give away at Burning Man.. There is a camp that gives pee funnels for girls..
unjonharley

Postby Elderberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:19 pm

Savannah wrote:

I stopped worrying about trying to disguise my bottle after the second day!

JK
JK
Elderberry

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:22 pm

jkisha wrote:
Savannah wrote:

JK

lol +1
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby Boijoy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:43 pm

ok, when you use the Lug a Loos with the Wag-Bag system. You should take an extra 5ga bucket with a tight fitting lid to keep the used bags in.
Odors do sneak out of the bags when its hot. when you get home dispose of the whole 5 ga bucket that hold your used bags.. BELIEVE me. you DO NOT want to open or keep this bucket after a week of holding poo bags at burning man.. :?
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby Savannah » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:46 pm

JK

I did at least one trip without the bag as the week progressed . . . :lol:

I'm just trying to be helpful to the shy. I can't even bare my midriff when I first show up in BRC. It's like I have to wash all of that . . . society off me first.
Savannah

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:51 pm

Boijoy wrote:ok, when you use the Lug a Loos with the Wag-Bag system. You should take an extra 5ga bucket with a tight fitting lid to keep the used bags in.
Odors do sneak out of the bags when its hot. when you get home dispose of the whole 5 ga bucket that hold your used bags.. BELIEVE me. you DO NOT want to open or keep this bucket after a week of holding poo bags at burning man.. :?

Use cat litter or cedor saw dust to help with oder control.. Also this will make the bag solid for easy trnsport. You do not want this stuff sloping around..

I'm switching to a chem toilet this year.. Now that I know it is ok to dump in the Port A Pots
unjonharley

Postby LostinReno » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:17 pm

unjonharley wrote:The Port A Potties are dumped onto garlic fields.. That'll ward off your evil spirets :D

The liquid portion of your Burning Man waste gets dumped into a hay field....and they wonder how them California cows became so damn happy! :wink:
LostinReno

Postby Boijoy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:51 pm

unjonharley wrote:
Boijoy wrote:ok, when you use the Lug a Loos with the Wag-Bag system. You should take an extra 5ga bucket with a tight fitting lid to keep the used bags in.

Use cat litter or cedor saw dust to help with oder control.. Also this will make the bag solid for easy trnsport. You do not want this stuff sloping around..

I'm switching to a chem toilet this year.. Now that I know it is ok to dump in the Port A Pots

Yeah.. the little chem toilets are great. Last year we had enoght people & rented our own Porto from United. spendy. but WELL worth the $$
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:38 pm

the garlic is "inedible" and used for odoring natural gas
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby unjonharley » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:43 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:the garlic is "inedible" and used for odering natural gas

Spoil sport :evil:
unjonharley

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks