22 Manly things to do with an Altoids tin

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:43 am

C.f.M. wrote:Jet, you know what a SUPER BUSY person I am, but do you want me to keep an eye out for hinged-tins? See what I can collect for you?

We'll have to talk. :D
Suck it. -PlayaWaste Raiders
"They're like a bunch of Honey Badgers in a sea of hippies." -Goathead
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby Trishntek » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:37 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:If you keep looking, you'll find hinged tins. Some of them don't even have a past as a holder of sweet treats, but as cash boxes. Which might get them stolen, I don't know. YOu don't have to lock them, but if someone's creepy enough to steal one, he might be creepy enough to steal one without checking it to see if it opens.
Thrift stores, yard sales, the usual suspects.

Harbor Freight has some miniature tool boxes I use. One is my Butt Box, the other is my Shit Box. I'll leave the rest to your imagination.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Elorrum » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:30 pm

is a kid's lunchbox the right size?
Elorrum

Postby Sail Man » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:09 pm

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
robotland wrote:Combined with little rare-earth magnets they make a handy organizer system for little bits in the car while on-playa...Stick 'em to any exposed metal. I really like the new teensy ones! With a scrap of velcro, a pinback and some nips with a shear you've got an iPod Mini holder with storage for your earbuds! The guts from those cheap little solar pathway lights will fit in them too....

Robotland? Is it really you? Where have you been!!?

Altoid tins are wonderfully handy. They remind me of tiny cigar boxes.. now something cigar box sized, but metal, could be very useful.

He's been very busy working on our regional Lakes of Fire, but everynow and then we let him out to play :D
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:16 pm

Elorrum wrote:is a kid's lunchbox the right size?

...as a cigar box. ;)

What I was thinking of, at first, was something more like this, but hinged. Even the hinged ones on this site are very small.

I need to check the areas in the bus that any of these would work to have a better idea on the sizing.
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Sail Man wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
robotland wrote:Combined with little rare-earth magnets they make a handy organizer system for little bits in the car while on-playa...Stick 'em to any exposed metal. I really like the new teensy ones! With a scrap of velcro, a pinback and some nips with a shear you've got an iPod Mini holder with storage for your earbuds! The guts from those cheap little solar pathway lights will fit in them too....

Altoid tins are wonderfully handy. They remind me of tiny cigar boxes.. now something cigar box sized, but metal, could be very useful.

He's been very busy working on our regional Lakes of Fire, but everynow and then we let him out to play :D

Would you mind letting him out more often? We miss him.
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby robotland » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:57 am

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
Sail Man wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:

Would you mind letting him out more often? We miss him.

Awwwwwww!
Yep, THIS year we're up past Muskegon instead of a mere-jaunt-in-the-country away....I might have picked a bad year to take over as Effigy Boss. (I'll PM you about what we're building- It's a secret! My secret wish is to be able to brag about it AND show you pictures.....while in Terminal City!)
Sailman's once more taking on the HUGE responsibility of heading up our Medical/Emergency Response operations, now made even MORE complicated given that Lakes OF Fire actually has A LAKE this year....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby robotland » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:00 am

You can fold up two slices of bacon and fit them neatly into an "Altoids Smalls" tin....a perfect emergency kit! A real pessimist COULD add a band-aid or some matches, I guess.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:47 am

robotland wrote:You can fold up two slices of bacon and fit them neatly into an "Altoids Smalls" tin....a perfect emergency kit! A real pessimist COULD add a band-aid or some matches, I guess.

At first I thought you meant raw bacon and that's just not right at all. How about a crack baggy of bacon, some pain reliever, and powdered electrolytes? Almost a hangover kit...

I'm looking forward to hearing about your effigy! You're a great boss so I doubt you'll have any serious problems. :D
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby Super Evil Brian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:06 am

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
robotland wrote:You can fold up two slices of bacon and fit them neatly into an "Altoids Smalls" tin....a perfect emergency kit! A real pessimist COULD add a band-aid or some matches, I guess.

At first I thought you meant raw bacon and that's just not right at all. How about a crack baggy of bacon, some pain reliever, and powdered electrolytes? Almost a hangover kit...

I'm looking forward to hearing about your effigy! You're a great boss so I doubt you'll have any serious problems. :D

Even better: grind all that up in a blender to make a fine powder. I mean the bacon, pain reliever and electrlytes. Of course one can already buy powdered electrolytes and pain reliever ... now that I think of it, crunched-up bacon as well. Just in case, throw it all in the blender on "liquefy" or whatever the highest setting is for about an hour.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:09 am

I wonder if baking some bacon dusted with Vitalyte, instead of ground espresso, would affect the Vitalyte's effectiveness....
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Trishntek » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:09 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:

Even better: grind all that up in a blender to make a fine powder. I mean the bacon, pain reliever and electrlytes. Of course one can already buy powdered electrolytes and pain reliever ... now that I think of it, crunched-up bacon as well. Just in case, throw it all in the blender on "liquefy" or whatever the highest setting is for about an hour.

So then would you snort it? ORRrrrrrrr sprinkle it on your breakfast food?
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Super Evil Brian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:10 am

Trishntek wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:

I was thinking of mixing it 1:1 with coffee gounds for a beverage.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:11 am

Trishntek wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:
Dr Jet Sinister wrote:

Sprinkle it like benefiber.
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:13 am

C.f.M. wrote:I wonder if baking some bacon dusted with Vitalyte, instead of ground espresso, would affect the Vitalyte's effectiveness....

We need a chemist for that one. I'm too lazy to go look up the effects of heat on the bonds of the various compounds.
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby Super Evil Brian » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:21 am

I was just kidding, but in reality, what kind of hideous "coffee" product would that make?

Maybe powdered Gatorade instead of a generic electrolyte.

At least powdered Gatorade (and Kool-Ade) is flammable. Non dairy creamer is a fucking bomb.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Dr Jet Sinister » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:31 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:I was just kidding, but in reality, what kind of hideous "coffee" product would that make?

At least powdered Gatorade (and Kool-Ade) is flammable. Non dairy creamer is a fucking bomb.

So what you're saying is you want something explosive with bacon? Look at you! Not even to the playa yet and already a true burner.
Dr Jet Sinister

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:39 am

Super Evil Brian wrote:I was just kidding, but in reality, what kind of hideous "coffee" product would that make?

Gatorade is crap. Vitalyte isn't a "generic electrolyte," it's a real electrolyte (as compared to Gatorade, Powerade, etc.).
C.f.M.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:59 am

It's what plants crave!

What would go into a hangover survival kit?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:06 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:It's what plants crave!

What would go into a hangover survival kit?

Ah, one of my favorite topics (there's a thread for that!).

Most definitely several serving of Vitalyte, to assist with hydrating. BC powder or naproxen sodium. B supplements, a megadose of B-12 and a handful of Plan-Bs.
C.f.M.

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:19 pm

Make microphones out of them.
Gonzo made two for the Pottie-Project last year, and they are da Bomb.
Gotta have a backup. It's a long way to the nearest radio-crap.

Dept of Over-Engineering motto:
"We do it the hard way the first time."
and of course:
Fuck the math.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:39 am

Dr Jet Sinister wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:Jet, you know what a SUPER BUSY person I am, but do you want me to keep an eye out for hinged-tins? See what I can collect for you?

We'll have to talk. :D

I trash picked an old Band-Aids tin and almost sent you a pic to see if you want it, but then I decided to keep it, to actually put Band-Aids in.
C.f.M.

Postby robotland » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:20 am

I like those Olde Schoole Band-Aids tins!

Dropped four bucks on a tin of hot-pepper chocolate...bleccchhh, and not even very hot. But the tin's interesting.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks