How to stay warm at Burning Man?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

How to stay warm at Burning Man?

Postby phil » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:57 pm

Any tips? Besides this I mean:

At MacWorld 2011: the comforts of home in your VW van by Civilized Explorer, on Flickr

It was cold last year, and I'm thinking of bringing a heater, and this seems to fit the bill.
phil

Postby Elderberry » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:04 pm

Were bringing a propane heater this year, even if we don't need it!

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Rice » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:20 pm

Pants.

Pants would have been nice. Especially Monday night after the rain.
Rice

Postby Elorrum » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:32 pm

I'm reconsidering the wisdom of hanging out by a fire barrel, and then expecting to have any level of comfort after moving away from it and trying to stay out longer.
Elorrum

Postby Major Krash » Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:43 pm

A Cape for walking around (several, if you want to coordinate with various costumes) as they can easily be taken off for dancing and look better than most coats while walking around...

Try to avoid sleeping on an air mattress, as the cold of the ground gets transferred to you through the air in the mattress (and they tend to spring a leak). If you must use one, insulate under the air mattress with a few blankets or carpet (with a tarp under all if your tent does not have a floor). I like to use a futon mattress (with or without a frame).

A scarf, or other decorative neck warmer.

Just before you turn in for the night, eat or drink something high in calories to help fuel your body (I like to drink Warm Tang or Hot Cocoa).

Sleep with a Partner!
Major Krash

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:13 pm

Hats, especially beanies or ski masks. Keep your head warm and the rest of you will stay warm too.
Orphan Endorphin Camp
Micro/Homebrew - Infused Vodkas - Magic Goats
http://orphanendorphin.com/
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby geospyder » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:24 pm

Hugs keep you warm.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:34 pm

Remember, if you intend to hang out near fire, wear cotton, wool, linen or leather clothes. (I suppose you can wear hemp too, but I don't want to know about it.) Turns out that fusing polyester to your skin doesn't keep you warm enough to be worth it.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:45 pm

You'll forgive me, but THIS deserves a thread? What are you people, retar... no I can't say that.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Are you hoping that one of us mentions the back of your rv?

Edited to enter a crucial [s]world[/s] word.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Ogdenhousedj » Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:02 pm

Light yourself on fire???
Ogdenhousedj

Postby Trishntek » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:47 pm

Full length, Harris Tweed, herringbone-weave top coat. Two shemaghs, one around the head with goggles and one around the waste. The one around the waste is all I wear during the day anyways, so the coat just adds a layer for night.

edit: The coat was $4 at the thrift store.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Eric » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:53 pm

Trishntek wrote:Full length, Harris Tweed, herringbone-weave top coat.

I bring an overcoat as well. I wear full suits & hats at night, but having the option of another layer is great. Also a thrift store find.

Think layers- last year got really cold a couple of nights, a few years ago it stayed warm all night, in 2006 it got really really cold one night.

Ya never know.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby gaminwench » Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:19 pm

Yes, Eric... but do you wear pants??
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby ygmir » Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:26 am

Eric wrote:
Trishntek wrote:Full length, Harris Tweed, herringbone-weave top coat.

I bring an overcoat as well. I wear full suits & hats at night, but having the option of another layer is great. Also a thrift store find.

Think layers- last year got really cold a couple of nights, a few years ago it stayed warm all night, in 2006 it got really really cold one night.

Ya never know.

I"m hoping, at some point this year, you might be willing to help me find a tux or two at the "cheap tux" places you mentioned some time ago.

Gaminwench: you should stay warm...........'cause you're so HOT!!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:23 am

Major Krash wrote:Sleep with a Partner!

This is the best idea ever! :D

But as my "armstrong heater" has elected to stay home :( and I have not found a BRC Bed-Share board, I'll bring some HotHands and fleece blankets to tuck inside my sleeping bag.
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

FREE THE SHERPAS
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Postby phil » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:40 am

ygmir wrote:I"m hoping, at some point this year, you might be willing to help me find a tux or two at the "cheap tux" places you mentioned some time ago.

Suggestions:
phil

Postby lambert13 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:24 pm

http://outersports.com/navy-100-polypro ... -2856.html

Polypropylene underwear. I use it during the winter under my regular clothing. It is extremely lightweight and warm.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:28 pm

I'll be bringing my fleece footie pajamas this year. :D
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Freesponge » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:22 pm

Maybe its just the Canadian in me but I never had a problem with the cold at night or the heat during the day. :S It can actually get hotter where I come from too so I get a kick out of people complaining when it dips to the 40's or 50's at night.

I just wore some of my more elaborate costumes at night and I stayed moving but I never had issues with the cold.
Noodles
Freesponge

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:42 pm

gaminwench wrote:Yes, Eric... but do you wear pants??

Please girl. Not only do I have pants to match every suit, I have a pre-playa dry cleaning bill to go with them. What kind of queen do you think I am?

I also wear undies.... :shock:
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby gaminwench » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:48 pm

well, that kitty in the other thread said...
I'm certain that you are just THAT sort of queen - polished down to the nines... now if you can just help that big nordic pagan get a grip on his 'look'... that'd be some 'public service' points, for sure...
gaminwench

Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:58 pm

Maybe its just the Canadian in me but I never had a problem with the cold at night or the heat during the day. :S It can actually get hotter where I come from too so I get a kick out of people complaining when it dips to the 40's or 50's at night.

I just wore some of my more elaborate costumes at night and I stayed moving but I never had issues with the cold.

Well, la di da. :D The trouble starts when you stop moving; i.e. sleep. It got into the 30's this year. I just piled a wrap on top of my comforter and slept, but footed pajamas would have been righteous as well as amusing. And sure, you can pile a sensible duffel coat on top of an evening gown, but an ankle-length faux fur Inverness with sleigh bells, why not? Or having a freshette & a bottle when it's so cold that it's nice not to have to leave the tent.

Is anyone going to die of hypothermia? Probably not. Can you be more comfortable & cheerful if you plan for greater cold than usual? Absolutely. And if everyone takes it seriously you wont have to listen to campmates, friends or neighbors whine. So there is a benefit even for Canadians. :)
Savannah

Postby Elderberry » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:08 pm

Savannah wrote:

Well, la di da. :D The trouble starts when you stop moving; i.e. sleep. It got into the 30's this year. I just piled a wrap on top of my comforter and slept, but footed pajamas would have been righteous as well as amusing. And sure, you can pile a sensible duffel coat on top of an evening gown, but an ankle-length faux fur Inverness with sleigh bells, why not? Or having a freshette & a bottle when it's so cold that it's nice not to have to leave the tent.

Is anyone going to die of hypothermia? Probably not. Can you be more comfortable & cheerful if you plan for greater cold than usual? Absolutely. And if everyone takes it seriously you wont have to listen to campmates, friends or neighbors whine. So there is a benefit even for Canadians. :)

Not sleeping in a tent is the first way keep warm at Burning Man.

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Savannah » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:11 pm

I've done so every single time. I can't stop!
Savannah

Postby teardropper » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:06 pm

Bring some clothes that will get you through some nights with temps in the 40's, maybe high 30's. It's not that hard. I carry a fleece and a wool hat in my backpack when I go out at night and put it on when I get cold. But my daytime hat works MOST of the time. These may not be such a great match with costumes but warm is warm. And if you just go dancing, well...

Plan, prepare and bring what you need.

But I'm with the Doc. It's just not that hard... move along now, there's nothing to see here.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:16 pm

It's not like TTITD is in January. Duh.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Battery-heated chair

Postby phil » Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:58 am

from http://www.chaheati.com/

Not sure where they got the name, but here's a heated chair for those nippy playa nights.
phil

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:57 am

McMurdo Regional!
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:19 pm

If you seriously by this point in your grown, semi-adult life can't figure out how to stay warm outside, then I suggest you A) give your ticket to me now and B) just stay inside and watch Maury re-runs.

OK.. edit time. :)

For a real answer, it's all about the base layer. Spend a little money and get yourself some Patagonia Capilene long underwear.. it's the best $$ you'll ever spend on your own comfort. It's super thin for how warm it is, breathes incredibly, and wicks away moisture. Get some grade 3 I would say for BM. I wore that under just my normal clothes last time and had a fleece sweatshirt with me that I would take on and off and I was perfect temp the whole time. I actually had a grade 2 and 3 top and some nights just wore the 2.. and it's micro thin and I was perfect. Seriously.. don't skimp on the base layer. Get the good stuff and you'll be comfy for years.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks