Good idea/bad idea? gifting little bottles of hand sanitizer

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby tamarakay » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:44 pm

tractor supply has a ten pack of led flashlights (batteries included) for 10 bucks right now. Tie a lanyard around em and i think would make nice little handouts to those in the dark. pretty solid little flashlights.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Bob » Mon Jan 17, 2011 2:46 pm

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby LostinReno » Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:07 pm

C.f.M. wrote:I've had the idea for years to set up a table outside the toilets, with tampons, hair spray, mints, all that sort of stuff, wear a tuxedo, have hot towels for people, etc.

Gifts (ie, free hand sanitizer) incorporated into action/volunteer/"performance art" are always more memorable.

Do it!!! We had the cutest couple in '09 at about 7 & I that set up a little table every morning in front of the porto's. They had everything you could ever need! They didn't do the tuxedo thing but it was still cool and much appreciated!
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Shawn til Dawn » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:24 am

If there is no little cap to lose, you are gtg.
Shawn til Dawn

Burning Since: 1998

Postby MyDearFriend » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:02 pm

LostinReno wrote:
C.f.M. wrote:I've had the idea for years to set up a table outside the toilets, with tampons, hair spray, mints, all that sort of stuff, wear a tuxedo, have hot towels for people, etc.

Gifts (ie, free hand sanitizer) incorporated into action/volunteer/"performance art" are always more memorable.

Do it!!! We had the cutest couple in '09 at about 7 & I that set up a little table every morning in front of the porto's. They had everything you could ever need! They didn't do the tuxedo thing but it was still cool and much appreciated!

I could totally get into doing that. If I don't fall into that whole "ferrets on crack" thing. Oh well the first thing is to get there, right?

8)
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:42 pm

Hand sanitizer. Fucking pathetic.

Why not offer to darn people's socks, or treat their toenail fungus?

Fucking hippies.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby TomServo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:45 pm

Bob wrote:Hand sanitizer. Fucking pathetic.

Fucking hippies.

I dont think hippies use hand sanitizer....let alone treat their toenail fungus.
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby maryanimal » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:18 pm

sambojones wrote:
TomServo wrote:That would be a good gift. Can you make it into a necklace...on a lanyard or something?

i was thinking about trying to rig something up for that they sell keychain holders for em in funky colors but the holders cost $.50 each which isn't a lot but I was thinking of getting 100-200 hundred which would add up fast. i think i'll try and figure out a way to rig em up myself

Making your own holders would be easy. Go to Michaels or any craft store to get ideas. Then google what you want like...Wholesale lanyards...etc. you'd get a better idea of what you'll need.

sanitizer would be great! Good idea!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby TomServo » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:08 pm

maryanimal wrote:
sambojones wrote:
TomServo wrote:That would be a good gift. Can you make it into a necklace...on a lanyard or something?

i was thinking about trying to rig something up for that they sell keychain holders for em in funky colors but the holders cost $.50 each which isn't a lot but I was thinking of getting 100-200 hundred which would add up fast. i think i'll try and figure out a way to rig em up myself

Making your own holders would be easy. Go to Michaels or any craft store to get ideas. Then google what you want like...Wholesale lanyards...etc. you'd get a better idea of what you'll need.

sanitizer would be great! Good idea!

anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby skibear » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:09 am

tamarakay wrote:tractor supply has a ten pack of led flashlights (batteries included) for 10 bucks right now. Tie a lanyard around em and i think would make nice little handouts to those in the dark. pretty solid little flashlights.

I need to find a Tractor Supply near here!!

One year I gifted cheap "shake to recharge" flashlights to darkwads.
They came from a $0.66 cent store and were a fraud. Probably worked
the duration of the event but, as a workmate who disassembled one found
out the wires from the coil around the moving magnet were not connected
to anything. A medium bright LED bulb connected to 3 LR-44 type button cells.
I've gotten some LED flashlights (with batteries) from Harbor Freight for
$1.50 each but this is an even better deal.

Thanks.
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby Zhust » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:33 pm

GAH!

Buy one cheap flashlight. Hold it up high and drop it on a hard floor. How many pieces are on the floor? Be sure to count the little plastic bits that used to align one half to the other. Count each battery separately.

Dump out your container of Playa dust on the pile of parts. Collect all the parts. Wasn't that fun?

Now, don't buy any more — they do not belong on the Playa.

Better idea: buy 5 good lights (that survive the drop test) rather than 50 cheap ones.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby AntiM » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:57 am

Commissary on base cleared out full sized hand sanitizer for fifty cents a bottle. It is intended for gifting at the regional, but any unused bottles will find their way to the potty banks. Set in a bracket, of course, and removed on Sunday.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:16 pm

how about flavored, deodorizing K-Y...........for those late week encounters.....

just sayin'............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Super Evil Brian » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:33 am

jkisha wrote:Personally speaking, I wouldn't put it around my neck. I wouldn't waste the time or money on that and buy more bottles to gift.

JK

My first thought was "choking hazard."
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Super Evil Brian » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:40 am

AntiM wrote:Commissary on base cleared out full sized hand sanitizer for fifty cents a bottle. It is intended for gifting at the regional, but any unused bottles will find their way to the potty banks. Set in a bracket, of course, and removed on Sunday.

They "gave" us small, dark green bottles of the stuff in basic training. In my nearly 12 minutes of exhaustive searching over the past three years, I haven't been able to find the same bottles. (We had certain thigns we had to buy and were charged for it with money they "advanced" us.)

I'm not a huge fan of anything "anti bacterial," but the stuff does have some uses. Maybe a small, funky bottle one can refill or something is better than the clear bottles in which it's normally packaged.

I've put it on my face in lieu of a shower when away from plumbing in humid areas (I hate feeling greasy and "moisturized"), I heard of someone disinfecting a cut or scrape with it (ouch) and I imagine it's flammable being mostly gelled alcohol. Of course the last one is the only one that matters :) It's like napalm that not only defoliates and burns but also makes skin feel "fesh" and kills poop-bourne bacteria.

I should wander over to the commissary during lunch to see what they have. Maybe Amazon or US Calvalry has it.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby lilapeas » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:38 pm

[quote="Bob"]Hand sanitizer. Fucking pathetic.

Fucking hippies.[/quote]

I usually tend not to use Hand Sanitizer because of all the rumor about it being bad for your skin. I have heard rumors that it weakens your immune system. It also kills all the "good bacteria" that are supposed to help your skin. When I searched for this on the good guide, it showed its rating to be 8 because it does not harm human health. From now on, I will use hand sanitizer more often.
It's better to prevent it than to worst.. This is the importance of first aid. We must have a basic training of first aid and we should have always first aid kits and first aid supplies in case of emergency.
lilapeas

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:41 pm

So, Bob, how many times have you brought your holey socks to the playa in the hopes that someone would darn them for you?
And do you bring a "mushroom" as well?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Zed the Mailman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:40 am

I like the idea of gifting sanitation but don't particularly like the trash generated by the packaging of such a small item.
Monorail Survey Crew
Grease Fairy
Predictive Postal Service
Zed the Mailman

Postby Sail Man » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:46 am

oneeyeddick wrote:Buy the bottles and re-label them as KY jelly before you pass them out.

theCryptofishist wrote:Remind me never to have sex with you anymore, Dick.

:P
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Trishntek » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:45 pm

ygmir wrote:
geospyder wrote:I gave out about 400 small .5 oz bottles of Purell two years ago. Very well received, especially near the end of the week when the JOTS were running out.

Another thing you could do is have a larger dispenser in your pack and give out squirts to people - clean hands and no moop.

and, you know TrishnTek could come up with some sort of sexual device, as a visual aid..........

Actually, Kryptonite Kum kills all germs. And the Green Faerie protects us all from microbial infestations.

sorry,,, never looked at this thread until now,,,
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Zed the Mailman wrote:I like the idea of gifting sanitation but don't particularly like the trash generated by the packaging of such a small item.

I think a two ounce bottle would make it through the entire event--depending on the OCD rating of the recipient, of course.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Zed the Mailman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:28 pm

[quote="theCryptofishist"][quote="Zed the Mailman"]I like the idea of gifting sanitation but don't particularly like the trash generated by the packaging of such a small item.[/quote]
I think a two ounce bottle would make it through the entire event--depending on the OCD rating of the recipient, of course.[/quote]

The bottle itself I bet will last considerably longer.
Monorail Survey Crew
Grease Fairy
Predictive Postal Service
Zed the Mailman

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:15 am

A rubber O ring might be a suitable way to attach these to a lanyard. They are available in a lot of sizes at most hardware stores, stretchy enough to force over the neck of the bottle, but the small sizes are not easily stretched enough to be pulled off too easily.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby graidawg » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:26 am

Sail Man wrote:
oneeyeddick wrote:Buy the bottles and re-label them as KY jelly before you pass them out.

theCryptofishist wrote:Remind me never to have sex with you anymore, Dick.

:P

hahahahaha!

trishntek wrote
Actually, Kryptonite Kum kills all germs. And the Green Faerie protects us all from microbial infestations

small bottles of kryptonite cum?
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Trishntek » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:50 am

Just give Superman a hand job for hand cleanser and a blow job for infection control. Unfortunately, Kryptonite Kum cannot be contained once issued and the Green Faerie can only help those who help themselves.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:28 pm

CFM: excellent idea! Please proceed.

The original question was: gifting hand sanitizer

I have been intimately involved with the potties for lo these 11 years and pre-date hand sanitizer stations altogether. I was the FIRST one hired to replenish these units required by the Health Dept (loving you Cindy). They are currently replenished by the hard working men of USS. They do the best that they can given the circumstances. Self sufficiency is our job.

Here's my 2 cents: The playa is desiccating. Bacteria is fragile. Just don't put your fingers in your mouth!
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks