Totally clueless englishman

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Totally clueless englishman

Postby Mitch » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:21 am

nosebag wrote:Where is the best for us to fly in to?
Best place to Rent car/van?
Ball park figure of what you are likely to spend at the festival?
General advice for noobs?

nosebag

If you want to try a ride share, you can fly into Reno and hope for the best. It's much closer than anyplace else you can go but there aren't any direct flights (so then you have the question of whether you'd spend more time on the ground driving or more time in airports and on planes).

More likely, though, you want an major international airport that has direct flights from London on mulitple carriers (keeps the prices down). That rules out Sacramento and Reno and pretty much leaves you with San Francisco, Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Salt Lake City.

If you have other business in Los Angeles or want to visit there, you can consider that, otherwise it's too far. I'd give San Francisco a miss, too many Burners vying for finite resources and the car-rental companies WILL know where you're going.

That leaves Las Vegas and Salt Lake. LV car rentals are expensive but you might find something reasonable if you start now. I don't really know about Salt Lake City, but a lot of international Burners do come in via Vegas (and that's not a bad place to begin/end your trip). I haven't studied it, but I think there are more flights to Vegas, thus lower prices.

Either of those cities will probably be a two-day drive, but you probably can't do it in one day from San Franciso anyway unless you're good at sleeping on the plane and want to zoom down the highway immediately after escaping the airport.

As to expenses, anywhere from $500 to $5000 per person. If you rent a big car or a van you'll be able to carry all your provisions with you; if you don't have room for water (and a way to remove gray water), you'll have to arrange with a camp. It's a good idea to stay with an established camp if you can find one you like and that has room for y ou and reasonable camp fees.

If money is no object, rent an RV in Las Vegas or Salt Lake, but do it now. Solves your water problems (though you should probably bring extra) and gives you cooking facilities. If you come on your own, you won't have them unless you want to buy a lot of stuff and throw it out or give it away at the end ofyour trip. Smallest one will run you about $4000 if you reserve now, much more later on, but you'll have complete independence.
Mitch

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:34 am

Why does it matter if you're flying in from overseas to go all the way to Reno or not? The cost of the connecting flight outweighs the hassle and BS of flying into somewhere else and then coordinating a ride to Reno. Just get yourself all the way there already and rent yourself the box truck. Come on now..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Mitch » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:44 am

junglesmacks wrote:Why does it matter if you're flying in from overseas to go all the way to Reno or not? The cost of the connecting flight outweighs the hassle and BS of flying into somewhere else and then coordinating a ride to Reno. Just get yourself all the way there already and rent yourself the box truck. Come on now..

It matters a lot. If you have to "coordinate' the ride, then, yes, , Reno makes sense. If you're going to rent a vehicle of your own, then it's much smarter to fly to one of the airports I suggested. Reasons include:

1. The connecting ticket can be a signifcant expensive, depending on where the airline's hub is.

2. You have to clear customs at before you can connect. That can mean half a day or more at the connecting airport because you have to leave LOTS of time...have to get your luggage and check it in again too. THAT's a hassle. Driving an extra day, not so much.

3. Reno auto rental rates get jacked up for Burning Man. If they're really going to rent a box truck (which, being English newbies, they're not), much cheaper to do so from LV or SLC.
Mitch

Postby graidawg » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:09 am

I have been looking at prices for flying A LOT lately as its damn sight more expensive than the last time i looked, the cheapest i have found san fran from london is 440 quid, Reno 457, so reno makes a lot of sense.
Bizzarely cheapes t i have found to new york? 454 go figure?
Now all i need to do is get a friend to lend me a glider and i can go from reno to BRC by plane (no chance of taking my own water that way though
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:17 am

Mitch wrote:(which, being English newbies, they're not)

Now now, no underestimating this years crop of burgins. They're coming along quite nicely..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:57 pm

Salt Lake is not a bad option, they haven't caught on about Burning Man yet. Lots of trucks and RVs for rent, we are a state with many parks and many people doing the outdoor things. Lots of folks going off road, so they aren't as fussy. Prices here tend to be lower. Another reason to reserve early though.

Do NOT buy booze in Utah. Wait until you are over the state line into Nevada.

The drive from SLC can be done in a day. A very long drive, but we leave late in the afternoon and arrive around dawn, taking our time. We stop and nap in Winnemucca. We do take two days back. One to exit the playa and spend the night in Reno to clean up and refresh the drivers, one for the drive itself. We leave Reno late morning~noonish and return after midnight.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Mitch » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:04 pm

graidawg wrote:I have been looking at prices for flying A LOT lately as its damn sight more expensive than the last time i looked, the cheapest i have found san fran from london is 440 quid, Reno 457, so reno makes a lot of sense.
Bizzarely cheapes t i have found to new york? 454 go figure?
Now all i need to do is get a friend to lend me a glider and i can go from reno to BRC by plane (no chance of taking my own water that way though

Prices are likely to go down closer to the date. I think they do a dip, and you want to start looking 3 months to 1 month before the departure date (after which they may climb)
Mitch

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:15 pm

Of course New York is cheapest, not only is it closer, but there's a lot of traffic between New York and Europe so there's competition for the passengers.

Gasoline prices have been creeping up steadily. Now, in many ways I think that's a good thing, but it's tough on the far distant burners. I dont' know how that effects air tickets, but it's probably a factor. We may have a slow creep.
However, I don't know for sure. And people who are travel agents are much fewer and farther between, and those would be the people to go ask. (Of course if their cut is based on percentage, then they have an impetus to have you buy at a higher price. If it's based on a body, then whatever. I think that the structure has changed since my youth, and not in a way that makes that sort of "meta-information" easier for the average civilian to get.)
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks