Anybody know what's allowed at Temple?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Anybody know what's allowed at Temple?

Postby C.f.M. » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:28 pm

People put mementos and such...and I need to add something. But I'm pretty sure my pan full of bacon grease won't fly.

I guess it has to be burnable, right?
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:33 pm

I don't know what the official rules are but it doesn't have to be completely burnable. There's a crapload of nails/metal in it already. Just for symbolism though, it'd be better for it to burn than wind up in a landfill someplace.
mudpuppy000

Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:55 pm

"Official rules". Thanks, I needed a laugh.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:18 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:"Official rules". Thanks, I needed a laugh.

I know, I know...I just don't want to put something there that I fail to get back before it burns...and leave it for somebody else to throw away/haul out.
C.f.M.

Postby EmilyD » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:03 pm

C.f.M. wrote:

I know, I know...I just don't want to put something there that I fail to get back before it burns...and leave it for somebody else to throw away/haul out.

I'm sure you could burn photos of bacon but it won't smell as good. ;-)
EmilyD

Re: Anybody know what's allowed at Temple?

Postby Foxfur » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:21 am

C.f.M. wrote:People put mementos and such...and I need to add something. But I'm pretty sure my pan full of bacon grease won't fly.

I guess it has to be burnable, right?

Bacon grease would be great! It would lend a delicious aroma to the conflagration! I'd think if it was poured into a paper container it would serve as nature's perfect accelerant.
Ooh, ooh! How about oil soluable pigment mixed in and makin bacon paintings to be taken by incineration? (There's a song in there somewhere...)
Got my gears turning...

Ff
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Bob » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:41 am

Pretty sure a boom box playing "It's A Small World (After All)" on a loop is not allowed.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Risky » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:39 am

CFM - I have wanted to fill a jar of bacon grease and then add a wick for a bacon candle. Damn you would think that would smell good.

Our crew will be there Sunday removing the stained glass and chandeliers, etc before we burn the Temple. Let me know if I can help you out.
Risky

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:45 am

Is it the pan you want to keep or the bacon?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby pizzamancer » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:12 am

C.f.M. wrote:

I don't know. If the pan doesn't just completely disintegrate in the heat, there has got to be someone out there who wants a burnt to shit disfigured pan from the temple burn.

Cleaner A: Dude...I found a melted frying pan.
Cleaner B: That is the coolest thing ever...
pizzamancer

Burning Since: 2008

Postby TomServo » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:57 am

Bacon Grease? Did you lose a pet pig?
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:35 pm

A salesman is lost in a rural area and stops at a farm to get directions. As he is talking to the farmer he notices a pig with a wooden leg. "How did the pig get a wooden leg?", he asks the farmer.

"Well", says the farmer, "that is a very special pig. One night not too long ago we had a fire start in the barn.

"Well, sir, that pig set up a great squealing that woke everyone, and by the time we got there he had herded all the other animals out of the barn and saved everyone of them."

"And that was when he hurt his leg?" asked the salesman.

"Oh no" says the farmer. "He was fine after that. Though a while later I was in the woods out back and a bear attacked me. Well, sir, that pig was near by and he came running and set on that bear and chased him off. Saved me for sure."

"So the bear injured his leg then," says the salesman.

"Oh no. He came away without a scratch from that. Though a few days later my tractor turned over in a ditch and I was knocked unconscious. Well, that pig dove into the ditch and pulled me out before I drowned."

"So he hurt his leg then?" asks the salesman.

"Oh no," says the farmer.

"So how did he get the wooden leg?" the salesman asks.

"Well", the farmer tells him, "When you have a pig like that, you don't want to eat him all at once."
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby swampdog » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:25 pm

But I'm pretty sure my pan full of bacon grease won't fly
There's a joke in here somewhere about when pigs have wings, but I'm just too tired to make it work.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Trishntek » Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:42 pm

I'm sure the grease would burn nicely! Would it not work to put the solidified grease in a box? Or is the pan just as special as the content?
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Oldguy » Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:12 pm

Bring a sharpie to leave rememberences or prayers. There is usually an area designated for such writing. Remember to not put graffiti on any other artwork, unless you have permission first.
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby C.f.M. » Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:27 am

Elorrum wrote:A salesman is lost in a rural area and stops at a farm to get directions. As he is talking to the farmer he notices a pig with a wooden leg. "How did the pig get a wooden leg?", he asks the farmer.

"Well", says the farmer, "that is a very special pig. One night not too long ago we had a fire start in the barn.

"Well, sir, that pig set up a great squealing that woke everyone, and by the time we got there he had herded all the other animals out of the barn and saved everyone of them."

"And that was when he hurt his leg?" asked the salesman.

"Oh no" says the farmer. "He was fine after that. Though a while later I was in the woods out back and a bear attacked me. Well, sir, that pig was near by and he came running and set on that bear and chased him off. Saved me for sure."

"So the bear injured his leg then," says the salesman.

"Oh no. He came away without a scratch from that. Though a few days later my tractor turned over in a ditch and I was knocked unconscious. Well, that pig dove into the ditch and pulled me out before I drowned."

"So he hurt his leg then?" asks the salesman.

"Oh no," says the farmer.

"So how did he get the wooden leg?" the salesman asks.

"Well", the farmer tells him, "When you have a pig like that, you don't want to eat him all at once."

Hahahahahahahahaha. Ha.
C.f.M.

Postby geospyder » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:33 am

Oldguy wrote:Bring a sharpie to leave rememberences or prayers. There is usually an area designated for such writing. Remember to not put graffiti on any other artwork, unless you have permission first.

Thanks for the reminder. I forgot to add sharpies to my gifting list.
Don't believe everything you think.
geospyder

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:40 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:I don't know what the official rules are but it doesn't have to be completely burnable. There's a crapload of nails/metal in it already. Just for symbolism though, it'd be better for it to burn than wind up in a landfill someplace.

Where do you think the DG (and all it contains) from the Temple ends up? Yes, a landfill.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby incubus_pantomime » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:31 pm

Would anyone happen to know a less MOOP-y way to attach something to the temple? My initial thought was a staple gun, but the staples won't disintegrate. I understand that there's a lot of MOOP when the construction materials of the temple are considered, but I would like to be able to contribute without adding to the MOOP. My new thought is Mod Podge or some other adhesive. If this idea will not work, or if anybody happens to know of a better solution, lemme know! Thanks! :D
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:59 pm

How about a piece of jute(natural material) cord or rope and tie it to the temple? There are usually lots of easy to tie to shapes there. If it is not something that suits securing by tying you could make a wood holder for it in Defaultia using wooden pegs to hold things together. Good luck!!!!!
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:07 pm

I refuse to worry about staples.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:12 pm

Wire, staples, pushpins, 2" binder clips, nails, screws, whatever. Raid the office supply cabinet.

Bob

Postby incubus_pantomime » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I refuse to worry about staples.

Consider this my effort to be the best Burgin I can be (since a significant number of people here on ePlaya have lambasted me in the most ugly, paltry, misdirected way, and I've essentially been turned into a social pariah against my will).

Thank you for the tip on jute and other natural materials as an alternative, motskyroonmatick! I think this is the best solution. Now that I think about it, I guess adhesives could create fumes when burned that could be less "green."
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:49 pm

Is every thread going to become a pity fest now?

Correction on the binder clips -- medium (1-1/4") might be big enough, Best typically uses a couple tractor-trailer loads of half-inch plywood in that thing.

Bob

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:08 pm

Bob wrote:Is every thread going to become a pity fest now?

Indeed.
We are a crusty lot, and we get the same questions over and over. But we're not mean people. Not coddlers, but not vicious. If you last a week here, you're practically a lifelong friend.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby incubus_pantomime » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:25 pm

Bob wrote:Is every thread going to become a pity fest now?

Correction on the binder clips -- medium (1-1/4") might be big enough, Best typically uses a couple tractor-trailer loads of half-inch plywood in that thing.

No, I'm not trying to garner pity, though my comment was admittedly very passive-aggresive. What I'm trying to say is that I am not a sparkle pony Birgin that lives in luxury and is gaming the system so I can party for a week in the desert. I want to do this right, and I want to stand up for all Birgins who are doing the same as me. I am going to ask any and all questions I have so that I can arrive on the playa and (hopefully) be mistaken for a veteran because I'm so well prepared. That's what my comment was getting at. Consider the passive-agressiveness as residual hurt from being a temporary punching bag of sorts.

Crytofishist, I've been on ePlaya for more than a week, and I'm learning more every day. This is a crusty lot, and very different from the type of people I encounter in my day-to-day life in Defaultia, so consider the learning curve very steep for me.
incubus_pantomime

Postby lemur » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:51 pm

whats that line ?

'you always hurt the ones you love'

something like that...
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:42 pm

This is the stuff the Temple would be skinned with, up close. Half-inch Russian birch, recycled from a toy factory, typically. People usually just use a Sharpie. They also leave odd scraps of ply to write remembrances and attach pictures; so, craft glue or any basic art supplies would work for that. Soft enough to push a staple into, probably. This year's plan looks like it affords an immense amount of surface for all the stuff people add.

Disclaimer: I still hate the fucking Temple.

Bob

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:47 pm

No, I'm not trying to garner pity, though my comment was admittedly very passive-aggresive. What I'm trying to say is that I am not a sparkle pony Birgin that lives in luxury and is gaming the system so I can party for a week in the desert. I want to do this right, and I want to stand up for all Birgins who are doing the same as me. I am going to ask any and all questions I have so that I can arrive on the playa and (hopefully) be mistaken for a veteran because I'm so well prepared. That's what my comment was getting at. Consider the passive-agressiveness as residual hurt from being a temporary punching bag of sorts.

Coupla things here....

A) Why do you give two shits about what anyone thinks of you? Show up, be yourself, and have the time of your life.
B) As for eplaya, if you are even remotely hurt or offended by whats said here, I have some doubts you are ready for the "real" playa. Are you ready for someone to yell obscenities at you through a bullhorn? If so, whats the difference between that and a few snarky remarks to your posts?
C) If you have never been to the playa, what makes you think you are going to be well prepared? The playa can and will chew you up and spit you out, and to claim that you will be mistaken for a veteran is not only naive, but potentially dangerous. Treat the playa with respect and reverence.
Drugs may take you down the road to nowhere, but at least its the scenic route.
ranger magnum

Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:58 pm

SO, how Was Coachella?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks