Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:12 pm

It's ART damn it! :wink:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:13 pm

delle wrote:
Elorrum wrote:This is a good reason to know your neighbors and check on their rig, same as they'll check on yours if things are getting too wild.

Although it'd definitely be in my nature to help out the neighbours as much as possible in case of need, I do have to be careful....

A few years ago during a huge windstorm here I noticed that my neighbour's clothes had started flying off her clothesline and was flying around the neighbourhood. There was barely anything left on her line by the time I'd gathered it all up, so I ended up taking it all...

....and decided to put it all on my OWN line, with my better-quality pins.

Unfortunately when she came home and saw her empty line, and her entire family's laundry on MY line, it must have been the final straw, because I found out that evening as I returned it all (wondering why she hadn't called on me to get her stuff) that she'd been whisked off to the looney bin for a little stay.

I'm not too keen to recreate that particular experience.

My goodness, that's funny.

Although we shouldn't laugh at the mentally ill...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:22 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:My goodness, that's funny.

Although we shouldn't laugh at the mentally ill...

Shouldn't. But the fact is that humour sometimes overrides what's supposed to be correct. As well it should. It's maybe the best we have to offer....

...and the fact is that when she returned home a few weeks later - properly medicated for the first time in her life - she really found it to be as funny as I had.

So I'm guessing that it's a sane reaction.
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Re: The Best Advice You Can Give...

Postby xaramonkey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:45 pm

jdeanut wrote:What are the best things you've learned about preparing for Burning Man?

Mine:

1) Have everyone at camp plan one meal for everyone- if you have enough people, you only have to cook once.

2) Use deodorant (spray on works well) on your feet before you put on your socks every day. It's an easy way to keep your feet sweat free and clean.

3) You've got nothing but time on the Playa. Don't worry about scheduling too much. Enjoy things in the moment. You'll relax more and have more fun that way.

Yeah, #1 I made that suggestion one year, but nobody listened and "we decided" to go with the standard community kitchen idea. Some genius added a trash can and instead of COOKING once I ended up EATING once with a big ass pile of anonymous Community Trash at the end of the week.

#2 I go barefoot for a few hours a day. Apparently this doesn't work for most people so I must have acidic feet or something. It's like running around in Foot Powder Heaven !! Then rinse, air dry, add clean socks.
I said to the Good Abbot John: "Why would monkeys go from being covered in fur and having thumbs on 4 limbs to being naked and only having thumbs on 2?" He said to me: "Maybe we didn't come from monkeys, maybe THEY came from US."
xaramonkey

Burning Since: 1997
Camp Name: yet Xara still remains

Postby moonrise » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:45 pm

50/50 spray bottle of water and white vinegar worked for me to prevent "playa foot"

Not sure if I needed it but why take a chance? The veterans in my camp taught me this trick.

Then lotion and socks if you can remember; the 50/50 is a minimum MUST for most imho!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Elderberry » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:10 pm

Another thing that works as well as vinegar without the smell is a solution of lemon juice and water. Though I always used the dilution 20/80 or even less if you have sensitive skin. It's more than enough to counteract the alkali of the playa dust. I actually spray this on my hands often during the day, then rinse with plain water then apply Nivea Soft moisturizing cream. (Pay special attention to making sure you work the spray into the cuticle and around the nails.)

JK
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:57 pm

First thought was "Wow. That guy really takes care of his hands. cool. They must be very soft!!!"

Then I looked over to see your avitar and realized why.

I'm not a huge fan of sandpaper under certain conditions either.
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby moonrise » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:52 pm

jkisha wrote:Another thing that works as well as vinegar without the smell is a solution of lemon juice and water. Though I always used the dilution 20/80 or even less if you have sensitive skin. It's more than enough to counteract the alkali of the playa dust. I actually spray this on my hands often during the day, then rinse with plain water then apply Nivea Soft moisturizing cream. (Pay special attention to making sure you work the spray into the cuticle and around the nails.)

JK

Yup, except lemon hurts a LOT when it gets into my cuticles, maybe 20/80 or 10/90 won't hurt? I'll test some, does the jarred store bought juice work or fresh lemons or what?

What about seltzer water? I read that works, without the smell.

I don't mind some dust coating, it is camping for most afterall...I realize one must watch they don't accidently look like a little kid with a dusty/dirty smeared face, grubby hands etc...I used a tiny mirror or my truck/any vehicle's sideview mirror to check my face...also the camp had one, I think.

Within a day or two the veterans in my camp caved in, they called the fine coating of dust "sunscreen", I soon followed suit, then showers in the evenings before sundown, dress up or change uniforms or whatever :roll: and off we would go into the night...it varied but that was the norm.

Also, on hot days a cold midday shower was fine.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Simple chemistry

Postby xaramonkey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:22 pm

Acid feet. The only way to go. Walk around in lemonade pitcher cowboy boots if needed. It's simply Ph vs. Playa. ya don't have to be a chemist. It's simple chemistry. One of my nick names is Playafoot. It don't hutrS'not like anybody ever complained about about vinegar socks. By rinse and air dry i mean cute girls with rose flavored lemon vinegar. Just don't be akaliguy. Figure it out ....or DIE OF ATHLETES FOOT.

But the barefoot is best. Wanna bet?
I said to the Good Abbot John: "Why would monkeys go from being covered in fur and having thumbs on 4 limbs to being naked and only having thumbs on 2?" He said to me: "Maybe we didn't come from monkeys, maybe THEY came from US."
xaramonkey

Postby Beest » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:57 pm

The best advice I could give?

Hmmm..

"Relaaaaaax. Count to ten. Squeeze my haaaand. I'm here. I'm real. It's all gonna be okaaaaaayyyyy."
"'They' need to fix this bike." -unknown
"No, 'they' don't. YOU need to see what can be done to fix it. I will help you if you wish it of me." -Beest, somewhere on Athens, late week, 2010
Beest

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:28 pm

delle wrote:First thought was "Wow. That guy really takes care of his hands. cool. They must be very soft!!!"

\

delle, you cracked me up twice today!!! you're going to do just fine!
Elorrum

Postby xaramonkey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Elorrum wrote:
delle wrote:First thought was "Wow. That guy really takes care of his hands. cool. They must be very soft!!!"

\

delle, you cracked me up twice today!!! you're going to do just fine!

Oh! that got me too. Didn't see at first, til the reply and scrolled for the avatar. Way beyond the usual LMFAO BS. Genuine laffs. TooFuckinFunny.
...take care of those nails cuz sloths cant walk right side up.

Damn anti-gravity monkeys.

these are the reasons I'm lookin for.

still gigglin',

-e
xaramonkey

Postby AntiM » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:47 am

Rain. In ten years, I've seen it three times, and two of those were in 2010. In 2007 we got a delightful sprinkling. Last year we had early entry and a day went to waste because we were holed up in the vehicles. Can't set up shade structures in the wind, and getting everything wet would have been counter-productive. We had heavy rain on ... crap, my memory sucks... Tuesday? We had to scramble to get the stuff under the camo shade over under the carports, then we put the interior side walls on and huddled. It was fucking COLD. Enough to puddle? Hell yes. Cold enough we had ICE on the roof of our shade structure in the morning. I wanted my winter parka, our neighbor was wearing one exactly like mine (from the same company, I asked, LOL).

However, the odds are with you for no rain and few such drastic tempurature drops. Anyway, most tents with vents sealed against dust and a tarp on top, or in a shade structure, will stay dry enough. We use a groundcover, so have never worried about water under the tents, although this last storm did have us tucking the edges up under out solid shade.

But yes, rain can happen.

Those giant bags are great.
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:03 pm

We all went barefoot around our camp and had no problems. My daughter got so excited to jump on a passing art car that she left camp with no shoes. The art car went out to the temple when she realized she had to walk to the man to meet someone and had no shoes on. Some really nice guy lent her his size 13 sandals to wear. She came back to camp with these huge thongs on...lol. She returned them later to the guy. Thanks whoever you were...
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Turnip » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:25 pm

SOCKS.

SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS.

When you think you have enough pairs of socks packed, double it.
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Turnip wrote:SOCKS.

SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS.

When you think you have enough pairs of socks packed, double it.

Okay. No socks. That's enough, but double and I get...

NO SOCKS!

Hey the formula works!

Kids, don't try this at home; I am a very special case.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:53 am

I can't give the best advice, because it doesn't exist - well, actually I can think of one thing:

Vitalyte.

Vitalyte in your water before you go to bed, in your first water of the morning, maybe once or twice more throughout the day. I didn't feel thirsty ONCE! (as opposed to the year before, when I felt thirsty every damn day, until about Thursday).

Me, I go barefoot most of the time, except at night.

Air mattress = A-OK. Used it for years and years, anytime I don't have a bed or couch to sleep on. Put a piece of polar fleece between the mattress and the sheet to keep the cold air at bay.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:46 am

Stay grounded.

http://www.esdjournal.com/articles/cober/earth.htm
Grounding the human body to earth reduces chronic inflammation and related chronic pain
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:02 pm

I'm so not touching that, Dougly.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Leo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:45 pm

1. Bring an extra memory card for your digital camera.

2. If you don't have the means of recharging your camera battery at your camp, bring a spare camera battery fully charged.

3. Bring disposable film cameras as a back-up.
Best Regards,
Leo
Leo

Postby PavementBlues » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:21 pm

Beest wrote:The best advice I could give?

Hmmm..

"Relaaaaaax. Count to ten. Squeeze my haaaand. I'm here. I'm real. It's all gonna be okaaaaaayyyyy."

You sound like a Green Dot.

As for advice...well, here:

1. Don't get involved with big theme camps for at least two or three years. Too many virgins run into big theme camps thinking that they need one to survive and end up subjected to politics and unpleasantness. Keep the naivete for as long as you can.

2. If you are unhappy with your current situation, go somewhere else.

3. Read the 'What Where When' and decide on the things that you want to go see, since having things that you are trying to go find often gets you to adventure deeper into the city than aimless wandering. Also, when you find yourself naked, drinking Martinis on top of a stranger's motorhome, you can laugh at the fact that you actually thought that you were going to make it to the Super Hippie Mega Drum Monkey Chant Circle.

4. SMOKE YOUR WEED IN YOUR CAR. Jesus Christ people, come on.

5. The proper location for any barbeque is always in front of the vegan camp.
I volunteered at Burning Man and all I got was this stupid superiority complex.
PavementBlues

Postby xaramonkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:10 am

Vitalyte ? Is that like Emergen-C ? That stuff saved me in '02. It comes in little Dust proof packets, different flavors,kinda fizzy and full of vitamins so it makes hard to Piss Clear but if you drink at least half gallon a day that won't matter.

How to make an easy hot snack: Put a can of ravioli, soup, whatever, on the dashboard of your car with the windows rolled up for a day. About sunset, when your ready for dinner, it will still be nice and warm. Eat it out of the can with a metal utensil for minimum MOOP. Rinse out the can and put it in your tent for an ashtray.
xaramonkey

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:21 am

Relax and let the magic happen.
Ugly Dougly

Postby C.f.M. » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:46 am

xaramonkey wrote:Vitalyte ? Is that like Emergen-C ?

No, not at all. The link in my post will give several reasons explaining why Vitalyte is what you need. Not Gatorade, not Emergen-C.

I bought a spare card for my camera (maybe two? I forget.), took a bunch of batteries, didn't use any of it. My batteries last all week, and I had plenty of memory for...I think it ended up being 600 photos and lots of video.

Of course, if I hadn't been prepared...
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:05 pm

1. Be ok with the fact that you will over pack, every year. No matter what.

2. Don't be paranoid about playa foot...if your feet burn a bit in the playa dust...relegate yourselves to shoes and socks and foot baths. If yours don't get the tingly's it's likely that you aren't susceptible to playa foot and may enjoy lots and lots of naked foot time.

3. make lots of plan, get to the burn, then say, "fuck the plan"
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby PavementBlues » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:48 pm

VeganChoirGirl wrote:2. Don't be paranoid about playa foot...if your feet burn a bit in the playa dust...relegate yourselves to shoes and socks and foot baths. If yours don't get the tingly's it's likely that you aren't susceptible to playa foot and may enjoy lots and lots of naked foot time.

I walked around barefoot for almost the entirety of the 2008 Burn and never got playafoot. Love it!
I volunteered at Burning Man and all I got was this stupid superiority complex.
PavementBlues

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jan 17, 2011 1:55 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Although we shouldn't laugh at the mentally ill...

Why not? They laugh at us. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:35 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Although we shouldn't laugh at the mentally ill...

Why not? They laugh at us. ;)

Oh dear. Do you really want the litany of people who I've seen sucked dry by mental illness? Of course not. Sometimes it's best to take me at my word. You can refer to the recent stuff on the Fuck thread of course.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Lowz » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:47 am

Don't read this thread.
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby CaverX » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:47 pm

I have never been, but...
Save up enough to pay for a full price ticket and buy it in December, so you don't have to deal with the fucked up ticket process...

RAGE FACE!
CaverX

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks