4. dont bother trying to get on a MV

5. have a way to secure your valuables, 'specially on burn night
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:30 am

Fire_Moose wrote:1. center camp is lame

I swear that I tripped on this concept more than a few times while in um.. "deep thought" during the night. It started feeling like a whole conspiracy theory to have a place for those not in the know to congregate and gravitate to, leaving the rest of the playa for.. well.. you know.

Don't read too deep in to all that.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ¡Niers! » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:23 am

lucky420 wrote:I did the thermos of margaritas........on the playa. It gave me heartburn...I'm a puss :lol:

Bring lots of "Daddy candy." (TUMS)
For those of us that are starting to feel the effects of aging, Tums should never be a far reach.

Also, here's something I'm gonna try for grey water management.
http://www.minimus.biz/PUR-Purifier-of-Water-J04-0148201-1000.aspx
The idea would be to purify the grey water that cumulates through the week with these packets and strain out the gunk that separates and just pour out the purified water in the road. You would be pouring out water that's cleaner than what comes out of those water trucks.
Or you could just drink it. Perfectly safe, though I'm not sure how many people would want to drink it knowing where it came from.
¡Niers!

Postby TomServo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:30 am

Go with NO expectations! No matter what the media says!
anything worth doing is worth overdoing..
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:20 pm

If they happen to work at all. And far too many will not allow you to change out batteries.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lucky420 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:42 pm

doesn't most everything end up in a landfill?
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:51 pm

I dunno. Our office is somewhere over 80% (by weight) of trash produced being out of the waste stream. We have composting, and of course, since so much of what we produce is paper, that part is easy. We're heading for "zero waste"--I've heard two figures on that 90% and 94%.
There are still a lot of things that we, in general, could be doing, although I agree that most of the low hanging fruit is gone. Depending on where you live and your commitment to the idea, of course.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby BAS » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:11 am

If you really want to see waste, try hauling the trash out of a ten story tall, twin towered dormitory for a few years! Especially during Move Out, the experience will really make you wonder how fast those landfills fill. :shock:
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby JStep » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:03 am

BAS wrote:If you really want to see waste, try hauling the trash out of a ten story tall, twin towered dormitory for a few years! Especially during Move Out, the experience will really make you wonder how fast those landfills fill. :shock:

my favorite time to curb browse for new furniture. I've found stereos, stereo cabinets, booze, CDs... fun stuff!
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:52 am

JStep wrote:
BAS wrote:If you really want to see waste, try hauling the trash out of a ten story tall, twin towered dormitory for a few years! Especially during Move Out, the experience will really make you wonder how fast those landfills fill. :shock:

my favorite time to curb browse for new furniture. I've found stereos, stereo cabinets, booze, CDs... fun stuff!

Hm. maybe I'll do that this may...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby BAS » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:33 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
JStep wrote:

You'd be amazed at what gets thrown out around here (Madison, Wisconsin, home of one of the largest universities anywhere.) Some of the students are really affluent and/or haven't yet learned money is "real". Next time I make it to the playa, I'll have to stock up from the UW's dumpsters! (Actually, dumpster diving is kinda like BM-- approach them with no preconceptions!)
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:15 pm

BAS wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
JStep wrote:

You'd be amazed at what gets thrown out around here (Madison, Wisconsin, home of one of the largest universities anywhere.) Some of the students are really affluent and/or haven't yet learned money is "real". Next time I make it to the playa, I'll have to stock up from the UW's dumpsters! (Actually, dumpster diving is kinda like BM-- approach them with no preconceptions!)

WEll at this point I expect the uc students to be pinching every penny...
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby JStep » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:20 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
BAS wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
JStep wrote:

WEll at this point I expect the uc students to be pinching every penny...

My theory is that they accumulate stuff, often have no one to save it for them when they go home for the summer and since they probably didn't pay for most of it anyway, easy come easy go. My theory on the all too common discarded booze bottles and bongs is that they can't very well take the stuff home to moms house so they toss it if their friends wont take the stuff for them.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby ¡Niers! » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:06 pm

I used to live in Madison. I lived in Nottingham Coop for 3 years. Me and a bunch of friends used to go dumpster diving all the time......not just in May either....all year those fucks would through tons of perfectly good stuff out.
HEHE we also used to show up at frat and sorority parties naked.....good thing I could run fast.
¡Niers!

Postby BAS » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:44 am

Yeah, and for a while there I was in prime position to go through what they threw out (although I could have gotten fired for taking anything home if I got caught.)

I also had the job of prodding, ramming, picking at, etc. clogs when someone threw something down the trash chute which got stuck. And there was nothing quite like getting covering in an unidentifiable, chunky liquid when a clog finally let loose...

Weirdly, the trash chutes weren't that much of a factor when I decided to transfer out of Housing.
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Postby Miles » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:11 am

1. Dont use an air mattress
2. Put your cooler food in separate ziploc bags. No dirty cooler water!
3. cook meals ahead of time, and freeze them.
I like bikes and stuff
Miles

Postby delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:30 am

So if not an air mattress, then what? I'd just presumed self-inflating air mattress all along.
GYPSY! We need your opinion on this. STAT!!
delle

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:32 am

I bring a foam matress.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:38 am

....if a suggestion from someone who's never been is allowed...

Costco here has instant mashed potatoes that really rock! Honest Earth brand - the only ingrediants are dehydrated potatoes, butter, seasalt and a bit of powdered milk.

To prepare, all you need is to boil some water, add a bit of butter and milk (my sister suggested powdered milk would do fine). I always add a nice dolop of garlic (dried would do - tho I prefer the prepared stuff in a jar) and a healthy shake of Mrs Dash Extra Spicy.

I'm thinking that this would be well appreciated on the playa for the zero-prep & minimal waste aspect for those who love their potatoes.
delle

Postby delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 am

FIGJAM wrote:I bring a foam matress.

Not knowing the integrity of the tent we'll end up in, I'd pretty much ruled this out.... after getting flash after flash of a soggy sponge base as a bed should it rain into the tent....
delle

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:43 am

delle wrote:So if not an air mattress, then what? I'd just presumed self-inflating air mattress all along.

The bed sized ones which are pumped up can suck. The air under you gets cold, they leak, or sleeping on plastic is nasty (in my case). If your air mattress fails, you're stuck. Many people are unaware of self-inflating types.

We use a self-inflating backpacker model, although it is a double which takes up most of our tiny tent. We put a memory foam pad on top of that (eggcrate works too), and flannel sheets plus plush blankets. We cover everything with a denim quilt or a cotton sheet to keep the minimal dust down. Very plush arrangements and nearly dust free. The tent is used for nothing but sleeping, so no dust comes in on shoes or clothes, we even wipe our feet off before climbing in.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:48 am

It's easy to make a plastic sleeve to put the foam in.

It also keeps the pad from gaining wieght due to dust. :)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:57 am

FIGJAM wrote:It's easy to make a plastic sleeve to put the foam in.

For me, the whole point is to NOT sleep on plastic, even covered with sheets. I can't, I get wicked night sweats. Our tent has no dust, so the pad never gets dusty under all the bedding. It is in a velour cover anyway. Heavy and bulky to transport, it has a duffel bag all to itself for the ride.
AntiM

Postby Sham » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:14 am

I used an air mattress for a few years, but it was very thick, and tended to sag in the middle when I moved. It also deflated during the night and left me laying on the hard playa.
I switch to the self inflating camping pad. There are two sizes. 15 inch is just too narrow, but the 18 in is perfect. This has worked out great for me, and doesn't deflate at night. Also, it's easy to pack in my luggage.
My understanding is that these have some foam or sponge in them, which also makes sleeping comfortable.
Sham

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:29 am

I use a wide and thick self inflating pad on a wide cot. tip: turn cot on side during the day, put all bedding in big clean bags. I don't dustproof my tent, so this prevents dust buildup on the bed.
Elorrum

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:59 am

AntiM wrote:
FIGJAM wrote:It's easy to make a plastic sleeve to put the foam in.

For me, the whole point is to NOT sleep on plastic, even covered with sheets. I can't, I get wicked night sweats. Our tent has no dust, so the pad never gets dusty under all the bedding. It is in a velour cover anyway. Heavy and bulky to transport, it has a duffel bag all to itself for the ride.

That was for delle's benifit as she seem to be bringing some sort of swiss cheeze art project tent to sleep in. :lol:

Im sure she's just worried about the floor of the tent getting wet and the pad soaking up the water. :shock:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby AntiM » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:41 am

FIGJAM wrote:Im sure she's just worried about the floor of the tent getting wet and the pad soaking up the water. :shock:

Yeah ...... that happens.
AntiM

Postby delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:11 am

FIGJAM wrote:That was for delle's benifit as she seem to be bringing some sort of swiss cheeze art project tent to sleep in. :lol:

Heheheh... Sounds like a delightfully stinky way to ensure minimal protection. I'm liking the porthole idea tho!!!

Fig's right about the soak factor. Fact is, I've never owned a fully waterproof tent, ever. And to save expense and shipping costs we'll be borrowing a tent from my nephew's collection.

I've just read so many stories in here about the impossibility of keeping your contents dry during a wicked rainstorm that I'm trying to cover all the bases. I've always used an inflatable before -- vinyl to the ground with a flocked top. It keeps you off the wet and dries with a quick swipe of a cloth.

So I have to ask -- besides the "looses air" aspect -- if there were major issues I hadn't considered - like it freaking you out as it heaves with temperature changes throughout any given day.

(still -- I'll be looking into some of the alternatives mentionned here. I have a great deal on some cloth-backed uphostery vinyl (pennies per yard x 2 yards wide) that might do for a "bag"... tho I'd have to have the dimensions exactly right, as the actual foam would be going to AZ rather to Quebec, when bought.)
delle

Postby Elorrum » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:28 am

delle wrote: the impossibility of keeping your contents dry during a wicked rainstorm

I haven't had this problem yet at Burning Man. Some rain in 2007, and a beautiful rainbow after. It's fairly certain that the heat will return and dry things up also. I haven't seen enough rain yet for mud and mud puddling, but it's a possibility. I think a normal tent will do what it is designed to do. A tent hammock for keeping gear off the ground is a nice accessory. Going back to camp when weird weather happens is a standard affair. Check in and tighten ropes, batten down the hatches. etc. This is a good reason to know your neighbors and check on their rig, same as they'll check on yours if things are getting too wild. You should have it all secure to prevent it from blowing away all the time. What shape it will be in as to dryness, I haven't invested much worry in. Putting everything away in bags and ziplocks to keep the dust from building up will work as a good prevention for wetness I think.
Elorrum

Postby delle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Elorrum wrote:I haven't had this problem yet at Burning Man. Some rain in 2007, and a beautiful rainbow after. It's fairly certain that the heat will return and dry things up also. I haven't seen enough rain yet for mud and mud puddling, but it's a possibility. I think a normal tent will do what it is designed to do. A tent hammock for keeping gear off the ground is a nice accessory. Going back to camp when weird weather happens is a standard affair. Check in and tighten ropes, batten down the hatches. etc. This is a good reason to know your neighbors and check on their rig, same as they'll check on yours if things are getting too wild. You should have it all secure to prevent it from blowing away all the time. What shape it will be in as to dryness, I haven't invested much worry in. Putting everything away in bags and ziplocks to keep the dust from building up will work as a good prevention for wetness I think.

Mmmmm. Yes. I did catch the importance of heading home if it looks something important is on the horizon.

I found a bunch of huge-ass ziplocks (2'x20" with pleated bottom) at the dollar store near here. They'd be helpful for storing the bedding, I'm guessing - since bins are out of the question for me.

Elorrum wrote:This is a good reason to know your neighbors and check on their rig, same as they'll check on yours if things are getting too wild.

Although it'd definitely be in my nature to help out the neighbours as much as possible in case of need, I do have to be careful....

A few years ago during a huge windstorm here I noticed that my neighbour's clothes had started flying off her clothesline and was flying around the neighbourhood. There was barely anything left on her line by the time I'd gathered it all up, so I ended up taking it all...

....and decided to put it all on my OWN line, with my better-quality pins.

Unfortunately when she came home and saw her empty line, and her entire family's laundry on MY line, it must have been the final straw, because I found out that evening as I returned it all (wondering why she hadn't called on me to get her stuff) that she'd been whisked off to the looney bin for a little stay.

I'm not too keen to recreate that particular experience.
delle

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks