The Best Advice You Can Give...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

The Best Advice You Can Give...

Postby jdeanut » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:03 pm

What are the best things you've learned about preparing for Burning Man?

Mine:

1) Have everyone at camp plan one meal for everyone- if you have enough people, you only have to cook once.

2) Use deodorant (spray on works well) on your feet before you put on your socks every day. It's an easy way to keep your feet sweat free and clean.

3) You've got nothing but time on the Playa. Don't worry about scheduling too much. Enjoy things in the moment. You'll relax more and have more fun that way.
jdeanut

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:58 am

This sort of plays off of #3. The only commodity that has any real value on the playa is time. There is a very finite amount of it so use it wisely. You can get more beer, wine, and bacon, but you cannot get more time.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby masho » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:03 am

Relax and take it all in :wink:
masho

Postby LindseyRaeFace » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:04 am

Anything you think you'll need... Bring extra... Someone else will undoubtedly need it too.

Spend time with y -our partner/frient/etc, but also spend time apart. Have your own experience, but also share some of it with them. At BM you either grow together or your grow apart. Its your choice.

Dont think gifts are just trinkets. The best gift you can give is yourself. Your time, energy, assistance, love, hugs etc. Much more valuable.
LindseyRaeFace

Postby dinks » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:24 am

Ride your bike in advance. If you have not ridden a mile on your bike in the past month your gonna have some serious bike butt by day #2.
dinks

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:37 am

dinks wrote:Ride your bike in advance. If you have not ridden a mile on your bike in the past month your gonna have some serious bike butt by day #2.

I know.

...I haven't ridden a bike since Burning Man last year. :shock:

:cry:
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Kinetik V » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:18 am

1: Go out to the temple at night. If for no other reason the view of BRC at night from out there makes it worthwhile.
2: Write on the temple. In all seriousness, the years I wrote wishes on the temple I've had them come true (4x now). The temple has also given me closure when I've lost family and friends. And I've met some great people while out there and heard stories I have not forgotten...a few that changed me forever. It's a powerful place.

3: Go explore the space between 10:00 and 2:00 and out past the temple. Some of the coolest art I've seen in all the years I've been in BRC at least for me was found out there. It's interesting during the day but I really enjoy going out there exploring at night. It's a long walk or ride but so worth it.
4: Don't let the old hats scare you off about visiting Center Camp. Pass through it at least twice. Try the Chai and bring your own cup. Sit and check out what's happening. It's always got something going on.

5: Don't be shy. If it's interactive, try it. Climb up, go in, immerse yourself in the experience. Sign the artist's guest book. Leave comments.
6: Use the Who, What, Where guide and check out something that you are interested in but are kinda unsure of. I did that with a hooping class and ended up learning how to make my own hoops. 40+ hoops later that 1 hour I spent has paid off over and over again.

7: Be prepared for it to get cold at night. Bone chilling cold for those not used to the desert at night. Does your costumes look good at night and allow you to be seen by others if you go into a darker area? And if a dust storm comes up, will your goggles let you see at night? Tinted goggles that work great during the day can suck bigtime in the dark.
8: Go to the Meet & Greet. Check out Barbie Death Camp and meet Doc Pyro, he's great to talk to and just a great guy. Once you put a face with the names you see on the board your eplaya experience isn't the same. For a lot of people it gets even better.

9: Go to the bathroom before you head out for Exodus. Put some extra food / snacks where you can reach them while sitting in the Exodus line or you're crawling down 447.
10: Jungo Road is horrible. Everything you've heard about it is true and then some. It slices tires, eats spares for breakfast, and will break at least two things on your vehicle before you get to the end of it. Steer clear!
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:19 am

When the dust storm and whiteout comes, laugh! It's the only way to get thru it with your sanity intact.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Token » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Don't be the first person to take a crap after the potty has been pumped. Let others build a base first or risk the blue splash.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:08 pm

Token wrote:Don't be the first person to take a crap after the potty has been pumped. Let others build a base first or risk the blue splash.

F that. I'd rather a blue splash than olfactory domination of stuff that came out of your ass. Not talking about the roses or your postings, either.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Remark » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:18 pm

Don't forget your ticket at home.
Remark

Burning Since: 2001

Postby Raven9940 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:55 pm

1) Bring a camelbak - It's so much easier than lugging a canteen or bottle with you and you're far less likely to put it down and forget/lose it somewhere.

2) When getting a camp address from someone, get specifics - Just saying the crossroads isn't enough. Know if the camp has a sign, which side of the road it's on, what the camp/tents look like, if it's right on the road or if you have to go deep into the camp. I can't tell you how many people told me to come by their camp and I couldn't find it. Just kept peddling around wasting time trying to find it. And don't bother asking people around, they won't know.
Raven9940

Burning Since: 2010

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:52 pm

Think reasonably about the bedding you will need. Pack it in a tote/garbage bag/whatever. Smile at your handiwork and then double it. With you body used to the heat of the day many times the usual blankets don't cut it at night.
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:42 pm

Half as much food as you think you'll need and twice as much water.

..and blinkies. Tons of them. NO CHEMICAL GLOW STICKS.. just LED blinkies.
junglesmacks

Postby Elorrum » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:26 pm

enjoy a nap. After the stress of prepping, and arriving and setting up, you're there, relax.
Elorrum

Postby H.G.Crosby » Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:26 pm

a wheelbarrow full of cocaine and a posse of strippers.

thats all you'll need.
Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby Elorrum » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:08 pm

H.G.Crosby wrote:a wheelbarrow full of cocaine and a posse of strippers.

thats all you'll need.

yes, but first a nap, o.k.?
Elorrum

Postby Sham » Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:27 pm

Bring a gift to give your greeter when you first roll down your window on the winding road to BRC. It sets a nice tone for the week!

Make eye contact with other people and greet them with something pleasant. This is how people interacted a few generations back.

If you bring an apple for an afternoon snack, bring two and offer the other to someone along the way and make a friend.
Sham

Postby peacesista » Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:52 pm

1. Take naps....LOTS of naps.

2. Baby wipe showers.

3. Hop in an art car. You never know where it might take you.
peacesista

Postby lucky420 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:35 am

Bring more beer...and don't forget the bbq/firepit, cold hotdogs suck after a week.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby ¡Niers! » Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:07 am

More Tequilla!
I don't mean the cheap, crappy (Jose Cuervo) stuff. Hornitos!
I can't stress how heavenly a margarita in a thermos is while exploring in the heat.
Golden.

Don't get dust in your ass crack! You think playa-foot is bad? Forget it!
¡Niers!

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:15 am

Blinkies are a rip-off, and el wire is a pita.
For simple and cheap go glow. Just remember to take the used ones home with you to throw out.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:29 am

¡Niers! wrote:I can't stress how heavenly a margarita in a thermos is while exploring in the heat. Golden.

Hmmmm...*adds "thermos for margaritas" to the list.*...now that's a good one!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby lucky420 » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:56 pm

I did the thermos of margaritas on one of our first day bike rides out on the playa. It gave me heartburn...I'm a puss :lol:
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby BAS » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:10 pm

For God's sake, TEST your shade structure before going to the playa! I learned this one the hard way, and would rather no one else do so.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Nov 21, 2010 1:39 pm

Make sure you put alot of thought into having a comfortable place to sleep or nap at anytime, day or night.

Party as hard as you like, but when its time to crash have a place for a soft landing so you can completely recharge for round 2, 3, 4............
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby baconqurlyq » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Chef Boyardee straight out of the can is HEAVEN.

Having something tasty to mix into your water (kool-aid, gatorade mix, hydration tablets, etc) after drinking plain for two days is yummy and will help you piss clear.

A small pad of paper with a pen (fine-tip sharpie works best) is not optional. Have this with you at all times. You will meet people who will invite you to their camp, or give you ideas, and you will want to jot all that down.

You will wear blinkies/LEDs/glowsticks/EL wire/etc, at night, and you will be annoyed by the enormous numbers of people who do not.

People will envy your head lamp when you use the portos at night.
Popped the playa cherry!
baconqurlyq

Postby brushfire on the playa » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:28 pm

Bring as little food as possible that needs to be cold at all times. Sure, some is good, but when it gets melty and packaging begins to leak, you're headed for a food disaster of epic disgusting proportions. Think beef jerky, canned tuna and beans, granola bars and top ramen.
(on this note, a good tip I learned last year - bring some ziploc bags to put the cubed ice in. This way, when it does melt, you at least have cold DRINKABLE water and less cooler soup to avoid.)

Bring grocery bags to carry in your backback when you head out onto the playa for MOOP pickup. This way, that dusty can won't get stale beer all over your backpack necessities and you can always find that feather that you were sure you picked up earlier.

Buy some mini-flashlights. I like to attach mine to a string for nighttime easy access when you need to check the gross factor of a porto-potty at 4am on the playa. (I'm buying lots of extras, string attached, to give as gifts to some people in need of nighttime potty lighting - so helpful!)

Bring some multi-vitamins. You are never getting the nutrients you need and multi-vitamins are great to keep you healthy and energized with plenty and vitamin-C. It has all the good-for-you help you'll need to get over that tequila hangover in the morning so you can keep exploring! (Plus, it's good to be able to give to your neighbor that looks destroyed at sunrise. It might just save their day).

BRING WAY MORE WATER THAN YOU EVER THINK YOU COULD CONSUME!! YOU WILL DRINK IT!!! (it's good to bring something to mix with a jug for a tasty refreshment. I like Emergen-C as you get an extra boost of the vitamins you need out there. Or powdered lemonade - it's good to mix with vodka. yum.)

I like bringing a carton of cuties (of clemintines, whatever you call them). They're small and easy to bring with you out on the playa for a mid-day snack. Plus, you can bring a few to give to a new friend who maybe hasn't eaten much in 2 days. Just make sure you have somewhere to put the peels so you can lug them away at the end of the week! MOOP=bad karma
i'm on the playa, bitch!

bigger and better next year, every year...
brushfire on the playa

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Miso Horny

Postby brushfire on the playa » Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:45 pm

Oh ya, one more. If you plan on bringing veggies (which you should, delicious and nutritious :D ), cut them up before you leave for the playa and put them in separate ziploc bags and in your cooler. Trust me, you do not want to be cutting an onion or slicing a bell pepper in the uncomfortable and mostly unsanitary conditions of the playa. (Plus, if you like bell peppers - which I LOVE - cutting them on the playa with undoubtedly result in a big mess of seeds, creating little tiny pieces of MOOP that are a nightmare to try and clean up. Having your peppers pre-sliced will allow to avoid this kind of situation entirely).
i'm on the playa, bitch!

bigger and better next year, every year...
brushfire on the playa

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Miso Horny

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:10 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Blinkies are a rip-off, and el wire is a pita.
For simple and cheap go glow. Just remember to take the used ones home with you to throw out.

Seriously? You're advocating dim plastic chemical land fill filling glow sticks?

..and how are blinkies a "rip off"? You can see an LED light 50X farther than you can see a glow stick.
junglesmacks

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks