New Family Seeks Help

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

New Family Seeks Help

Postby djmattcope » Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:07 am

Hello,

We are posting this in light of a new member of the family coming soon. Yup, she's pregnant and will be expecting around mid-December. This has, unfortunately put a damper on our Burning Man plans. This will be my fourth year and her first. We already have our tickets, but we have had to use the money we had for a tent and supplies to go towards pre-natal care. We are seeking gifts, trades, or cheap deals for a good shelter and good cooler; most any camping gear would be nice. Some we have, but not the forementioned. We live in the Sacramento area; maybe someone might know of a great bargain in the area...that would be nice. Point is we are going, prepared or not, because this will be the last time for a few years due to the upcoming arrival. Best wishes!

Matthew J. Cope
**Here's to the burn that keeps on burning inside myself -- CHEERS!**
djmattcope

Re: New Family Seeks Help

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:31 am

djmattcope wrote:Point is we are going, prepared or not, because this will be the last time for a few years due to the upcoming arrival. Best wishes!

I'm sure you meant that light-heartedly but having been to the playa with a wife who was 7 months pregnant, let me assure you that you had better come prepared or not at all. The heat can be a real bitch for someone in their third trimester, and it can be fatal to the child if Mom gets dehydrated or suffers heat stroke. After a day or two your lovely bride will be GOOD FOR NOTHING other than taking care of herself and her child (which is exactly what she is supposed to be doing) and there's a good chance she'll be crabby about it.

We would certainly do it again at 7 months pregnant, and we encountered many people who positively worshipped my wife's bulging belly -- but you'd best be ready for the worst because the paramedics can't get you out of there in time to prevent a miscarriage.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more.

Alpha

Postby Isotopia » Wed Apr 28, 2004 8:51 am

Point is we are going, prepared or not, because this will be the last time for a few years due to the upcoming arrival....

Pregnancy aside, the idea of knowingly heading to the event unprepared seems exceptionally irresponsible on the part of both of you. Were it not for the fact that people in such situations have done the same thing in the past I'd almost think the OP was trolling.
Isotopia

hmmmm

Postby bloodroses917 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:26 am

going to the desert pregnant or not- if youre not prepared- is just a big silly mistake, asking for disaster. burning man is worth more than anything else in my LIFE- but its not worth the life of a baby. i would say skip this year and make sure youre baby is born healthy. take the baby with you next year- camp with the family camp- bring lots of water and juice and your baby will survive MUCH MUCH easier- as will your wife- OUT of the womb rather than in. plus youll have more fun with a wife who isnt suffering like HOLY HELL in her thirs trimester. trust me - women are NOT pretty little gals when carrying a baby too long! :-) just ideas---
never trust me 100% ;-)
there are no ladies like the playa ladies!!
bloodroses917

Postby djmattcope » Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:48 pm

Well I appreciate the replies and concerns for the well being of my family. Some respondents have assumed that I do not think I plan ahead and took my words too literally. I did not intend on this to start a conversation about how irresponsible I must be; rather, as I said, we have most everyhting needed to go we just need a decent tent or shelter to stay under. We have gone before, we have checked what we need to do to make sure the baby and mother stay healthy. We are not unprepared outright, we just need a tent...that's all. Comments regarding extra preparation for a 5 month pregnant mother are accepted, but please don't judge my integrity or responsibility as a father. As it stands we will be shortening our days there to about three or four so that there is less stress on the two, but we have information, lots of water, food, and other items to keep my precious child and its mother comfortable and safe. What we do lack is, again, a decent tent, and hopefully we can get a nice cot or air mattress for the mother to sleep on. All I am asking is for generosity or help in this matter; not judgment. However, I do take honesty to heart, and I know that if it will be too much for them, or if we don't really have a shelter then we can then decide to not go or simply hope for generous hospitality through trade.

We want to do this because we feel it can be pulled off at this early of a stage in the pregnancy, but we will it would be even more risky if she were further along at the time, or to wait until it is born. It will be this year, a baby-sitter for next year, or wait a few years. I am not ignorant thank you. But for those who are honestly helpful and worried, thank you and best wishes.

Matthew
**Here's to the burn that keeps on burning inside myself -- CHEERS!**
djmattcope

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:02 pm

This is the Newbie topic area.

Under the eplaya Index there are topic areas titled I need & I have.

The Preparation ( http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ) section of the main website, and the Structures topic area on the eplaya are full of info and links on doing things economically.

Beyond that, I have no opinion, and no spare gear.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Alpha » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:17 pm

Matthew,

Consider bringing a piss-pot for your wife. Big belly = compressed bladder! You can spend $50 on a nice one at the store or you can make your own from a bucket with an air-tight lid. See this other thread for info about that: viewtopic.php?t=3208

Oh, and gear yourself up for carrying it to the JOTS once or twice a day.

Test your sleeping mattress before you go. You might find that the normal blanket / foam cushion / air mattress isn't comfortable enough. We used a queen-sized air mattress and Dana was uncomfortable but not unbearably so.

The tent may be too hot to lounge in, so bring something for your wife to relax on during the heat of the day. We used one of those tri-fold lawn lounges.

Bicycling pretty much doesn't work. Consider a wagon or some way that you can get your honey around without her having to do too much work.

I can't emphasize shade and water enough. Buy one of those misting fans for her to use, too.

I wish I had a tent to loan you but alas...
Alpha

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:33 pm

Hey I have a question,

Has a baby ever been born at Burningman? Call me crazy (the door is open again) but it seems like it may be kinda neet if done safely.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby shitmouse » Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:55 pm

djmattcope,

we might be able to help you out.
i have a 15 man tent, big enough for a main storage room and two separate rooms to sleep in. -(it's only been playa'ed once).

to be honest, i think we are taking our first year off in a string of many, and you would be more than welcome to use it.

if your into it, pm me, and i will see if it's in good enough shape to offer to you without causing probs out there. -(just need to see if one of pole straps ripped last year. wouldn't want to set you uo to fail. especially being your expecting.)

-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby Captain Goddammit » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:01 pm

I've never heard of a baby being born on the playa, but methinks a few have been concieved out there...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks