Gifts given and received....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby LostinReno » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:12 pm

Thecatman wrote:
LostinReno wrote:Always my favorite gifting item!
Otter Pops in the heat of the day on Thursday and Friday

Damn I forgot to mention that, I had a gal, maybe late 20s to mid 30s gift me an Otter Pop. She had a box of them and she had a pair of scisorrs to cut the top off. It was late morning or early afternoon I'm pretty sure on Thursday.

I am totaly ashamed of myself for not mentioning that. :oops:

That might have been me! Was it near 6:00 & H? I had colored braids and was probably wearing a straw cowboy hat. I was cutting the tops off and putting them in my pockets, that's the only thing bad about the Otter Pops is the potential Moop factor. I try to make it easy for people to get rid of the wrapper when done. :wink:
LostinReno

Burning Since: 2009

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:56 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:String? String? String!
What a prolifigate moose you are! You think string grows on trees? You think that it can be had for the asking?
Have you learned nothing?

What a great word!!

Thanks for gifting me that superb adjective.

And thanks again Reno!
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Thecatman » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:59 pm

LostinReno wrote:That might have been me! Was it near 6:00 & H? I had colored braids and was probably wearing a straw cowboy hat. I was cutting the tops off and putting them in my pockets, that's the only thing bad about the Otter Pops is the potential Moop factor. I try to make it easy for people to get rid of the wrapper when done.

I'll bet it was you. I do remember she had a cowboy hat on. I don,t remember colored braids though.
I remember the Otter Pop was blue...
I offered to take responsibility for the top that she cut off...
And I offered to spray her with my water bottle...which she did'nt want.
Do you remember any events like that?
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Rilopie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:17 pm

Oh gosh, I just remembered a great one. Our neighbors gave us one of those huge 10 gallon containers full of pre-made margaritas. Holy cow, were they strong and refreshing.
Rilopie

Burning Since: 2008

Postby LostinReno » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:25 am

Thecatman wrote:I'll bet it was you. I do remember she had a cowboy hat on. I don,t remember colored braids though.
I remember the Otter Pop was blue...
I offered to take responsibility for the top that she cut off...
And I offered to spray her with my water bottle...which she did'nt want.
Do you remember any events like that?

That's too funny, yup, that would've most likely been me. Although I really do appreciate the gesture of the spray. I hate being sprayed out there, it reminds me of the misters on the strip in Vegas. Great now your just hot and damp. Blech. LOL!
LostinReno

Postby Snow » Fri Oct 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Gifts I received:
-lots of pins, stickers neclaces and the usual shwag.
-Feed the artist meal (which is really SO much more than just a meal)
-And yet again my favorite gifts were a smile from a stranger, a compliment, a knowing glance and help when pre-burn the wind flattened my carport.
-I also really like the wild turkey feather I recieved from a beautiful girl in the ice line, for some reason it's my physical memory from the burn this year.
-all the eye candy (art AND people and pretty much EVERYTHING)

Gifts I gave:
-fire tools
-some little Ein Hammer thing (ok I had lots of help with that one)
-our theme camp (includes lots of things, again a group effort)
-Last but not least ice cream from the ice cream bike once again. This is my favorite prolly cuz of the one on one interaction and suprise. A few years ago I made a trike that churns (PTO via chain) ice cream within a cooler. We ride around until the finished ice cream stops the bike from rolling (we cheat and make a second batch in camp first), when this happens we start handing out little cups of ice cream with a vanilla wafer as a spoon (we collect moop cups and burn them). My favoite recipients were probably were skydivers as they landed and one particular virgin guy.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Thecatman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:22 pm

LostinReno wrote:it reminds me of the misters on the strip in Vegas.

We have'nt been to Las Vegas to do anything touristy since Presidents Day weekend 2002.
We walked Fremont St and that was about it. We specificaly went to go to Cactus Joe's to look at desert landscaping for our house.
We stopped in Rhyolyte on the way home, and while there, it started to snow. By the time we got to Scotty's Jct it was sticking. It took us 2hrs to drive from Goldfield to Tonopah because of people not having chains and spinning out. NDOT, who was not my employer at the time, briefly closed Hwy 95 from Goldfield north to Coaldale, so we stayed at the Best Western in Tonopah. The next morning the highway was dry before dropping into Big Smokey.
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
Thecatman

Postby geospyder » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:29 pm

We're staying at the Best Western in Tonopah tomorrow night. From there we are taking the ET Highway and heading to St. George, UT for some geocaching.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:33 pm

When I mentioned that it had been 15 years since Id been hugged, I was mobbed in a huge group hug that made up for all those years.

I was to scared to say how long it had been since Id had a blow job.

I may live to regret that one. :)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Thecatman » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:29 pm

geospyder wrote:We're staying at the Best Western in Tonopah tomorrow night. From there we are taking the ET Highway and heading to St. George, UT for some geocaching

We were on that ET Highway back in July, except, comming this way. From Kanab to the north rim to St George to Tonopah. We stayed in Alamo for our last night on the road. The Windmill Ridge Lodge and restaraunt. Real nice place but kinda pri$ey. We'd stay again if we're down that way. I'm off the first week of November so we're thinking about going down for a few days. R&R, go fishing in the Pahranagat reservoir etc.
Have fun and a safe trip!
FIGJAM wrote:I was to scared to say how long it had been since Id had a blow job.

Don't look at me!
*shudder* and chuckling*
Thecatman

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:33 pm

If you haven't got herpes from that blow job in the eighties yet, figjam, I think we can give you a clean bill of health now.

With a doctor's certificate, of course.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Mr.? » Fri Oct 08, 2010 8:01 pm

Gifting is a fabric of Burning Man and one our theme camp Black Rock Syndicate is going to make a staple of our camp for years to come. There are lot's of places that offer open bars and give away plenty of booze, but not many places have other things to offer. One thing that was received very well this year was assorted fresh brewed teas; 300 gallons of tea and 30 cases of liquor we gave away this past year, but in 2011 BRS is going to have an industrial frozen drink machine, brewed teas and other refreshing juices. (We are a day sound camp) In addition to our bar we also hand theme parties each day and gave our guest things like umbrellas (300) @ Parasol Twist , dozens capes and masks @ Villains and Super Heroes, dozens of crazy hats @ Mad Hatter party (and 2 gallons of mushroom tea for the lucky 100 people) and pirate hats @ Sea Merchants.
We plan to keep the Parasol Twist and Villains and Super Heroes, but also have other themes that we can give things away. The cool part about the theme parties is we raise the funds for these gifts thought the year at events in Las Vegas; these events determine the amount of money we spend on each set of gifts. The participants at the parties know that their funds go toward the gifts we give and donation boxes get filled with donations all night long. It's another way the community get involved and with any luck this year we want to give away 700 umbrellas, and so many countless other gifts all through the communities contributions.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
Mr.?

Postby LostinReno » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:55 pm

FIGJAM wrote:When I mentioned that it had been 15 years since Id been hugged, I was mobbed in a huge group hug that made up for all those years.

I was to scared to say how long it had been since Id had a blow job.

I may live to regret that one. :)

:lol: :lol: Wiping off monitor screen! :lol: :lol:
LostinReno

Postby brushfire on the playa » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:44 am

The best things I have been gifted:
-any food/cold drink of any kind
-smiles and hugs
-a ride to the man on some guy's electric scooter (WAY fun!)
-a sweet paint job on my upper half before critical tits
-an offering of delicious jello shots within the first hour of my very first burn (my first introduction to the generosity of bman)
-great conversation
-during a crazy duststorm in 2008, some guy invited me and and few friends into his RV for some dust relief. He also had GREAT pasta for us to eat, claiming he had made too much (thanks Ray!)

Things I have gifted to others:
-jello shots (after enjoying the ones I recieved so much)
-smiles and hugs
-homemade necklaces and bracelets
-homemade magnets
-mini flashlights
-TONS of glowsticks (my friends and I all bought thousands of glowsticks one year and would go out every night with a few tubes and hand them out to people in need of some glow)
-great (I hope!) conversation
-some parts of costumes to ppl if i had something that matched what they were wearing
-beer and food to neighbors
-picking up any MOOP I see
-a full pack of cigarettes to a girl who looked like she needed them more than I did

I was thinking about gifts for next year something that has been helpful to me in the past. I was thinking about buying all these mini flashlights (like LOTS of them) that are on a keychain. I would attach string to them with maybe some glow in the dark beads or something, and possibly draw the man on the flashlight or something. Having a mini flashlight always around your neck is EXTREMELY helpful on the playa, at least in my experience - the best use is checking the situation of the porto-potties at night. You never know WHAT you will find in the pottie at 4am! Good idea you think?? Is it something you would use if you recieved one? I don't wanna bring stuff to the playa if people won't want it!
i'm on the playa, bitch!

bigger and better next year, every year...
brushfire on the playa

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Miso Horny

Postby goodgodgreg » Wed Oct 13, 2010 3:18 am

I've had so many great gifting experiences and a couple of not so great ones.

I loved gifting candy. I'd sit on the back of small art cars and gift candy to those passing by. It always put me in bliss doing it but my favorite gifting candy stories happened really early on my burn.

One of my first days there I was registering my cameras at playa info and being a virgin I felt so alone and unsure of myself at the time. Lost at the thought of what I should do next, I looked at the line of people near me. I saw the line going into information booths was quite long. So i felt at that moment that I needed to gift everyone in line candy and everyone loved it.

in return a hot guy gave me a neckless and coffee. Things were great after that.
goodgodgreg

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:27 am

I was thinking about gifts for next year something that has been helpful to me in the past. I was thinking about buying all these mini flashlights (like LOTS of them) that are on a keychain. I would attach string to them with maybe some glow in the dark beads or something, and possibly draw the man on the flashlight or something. Having a mini flashlight always around your neck is EXTREMELY helpful on the playa, at least in my experience - the best use is checking the situation of the porto-potties at night. You never know WHAT you will find in the pottie at 4am! Good idea you think?? Is it something you would use if you recieved one? I don't wanna bring stuff to the playa if people won't want it!

Those are a fine idea. They are easy to give away--just look for the doubtful posture on an unlit person about to step into a biffy . . . or to someone with an unlit front or back at night.

I know I didn't have a small hands-free light my first year.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby sweetorangeblossom » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:19 am

These are all very great ideas...
Just Lovely!
sweetorangeblossom

Postby gaminwench » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:13 pm

Brushfire... good one! I know that I count on my tiny flashlight attached to a necklace - I've gifted them before, and they're always appreciated!
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby weirdscience » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:37 pm

i was thinking of taking little vials necklaces with the man on them and filling em up with playa dust ... what do you guys think?
Who's awesome? You're awesome! :) .
weirdscience

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:49 pm

It's not a completely original idea (a camp I was friends with gave me one of these in 2003, and it probably wasn't even an original idea then) but it IS a fabulous variety of necklace, and remains one of my favorite pieces of swag, ever. Sometimes when the desert feels very far away, it's a wonderful thing to wear.

I'd say do it. I think most giftees would be very moved.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:13 pm

weirdscience wrote:i was thinking of taking little vials necklaces with the man on them and filling em up with playa dust ... what do you guys think?

I have given and received them. Try painting the vial with stained glass paints for a cool personal touch. Go for it.

I had a couchsurfer who was a burner. She mailed me a vial necklace which I received ON THE PLAYA IN MY CAMP! How cool is that?
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby ygmir » Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:58 pm

weirdscience wrote:i was thinking of taking little vials necklaces with the man on them and filling em up with playa dust ... what do you guys think?

be unique:
make it a suppository

or, link them for a "Ben Wa" effect

ETA: Ben wa......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby weirdscience » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:01 pm

ygmir wrote:

be unique:
make it a suppository

whats ben wa
weirdscience

Postby weirdscience » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:05 pm

oooo i got it ill get glass vail necklaces fill them with playadust/ glow in the dark dust and at night it will glow... OR! give the out side of the glas a small transparent paint brush of glow in the dark paint
weirdscience

Postby ygmir » Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:16 pm

weirdscience wrote:
ygmir wrote:

be unique:
make it a suppository

whats ben wa

google can be a friendly helper.........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:14 am

ygmir wrote:
weirdscience wrote:
ygmir wrote:

be unique:
make it a suppository

whats ben wa

He might also learn something from what I shout at you as I beat you to a pulp for suggesting something as foul (and potentially as pro-female genital mutilation) as sticking glass up your vagina.

*beats Ygmir to a pulp*
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:54 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:
weirdscience wrote:
ygmir wrote:

be unique:
make it a suppository

whats ben wa

He might also learn something from what I shout at you as I beat you to a pulp for suggesting something as foul (and potentially as pro-female genital mutilation) as sticking glass up your vagina.

*beats Ygmir to a pulp*

hey, hey, hey now............it's not just vaginal, you know........
and, I bet there are many very strong/sturdy containers, that would work perfectly fine,

It has nothing to do with mutilation. nothing.
Some folks do this (I seen pictures, I know).

you may well choose, to read the worst, into a post, but, jeeze.......
I have never posted things blatantly/seriously anti-female or pro-injury towards same.

I will not stand by, and be accused, of promoting injury or disrespect to others, when, it is not the case.............

Harumph!!!!!

storms out
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Da Mule » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:02 am

I know someone (not naming names) who owns a glass dildo. The temperature and surface apparently feels better than all that plastic stuff...
Da Mule

Postby Fire_Moose » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:06 am

Is it glass or is it pyrex? ;)
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby weirdscience » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:35 am

Fire_Moose wrote:Is it glass or is it pyrex? ;)
pyrex, glass would shatter very easily and sum1 would have a chest wound with playa dust and glow in the dark powder in it
weirdscience

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks