Gifts given and received....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:07 pm

I made a bunch of laminates with what your suppose to say to LEO's and handed them out to virgins and bars. Most people were like, "um, ok."
Grilled cheese in the very wee hours of the mornings didn't go over to well either cause most people were burning themselves with the hot cheese. But the otter pops mid afternoon went over great, as did the homemade marinaded goodies that I made and passed out to a few people.

I gifted a squater the use of my extra tent for the better part of the week, which was alright, and helped a bunch of people set up their tents and yerts.

I enjoyed gifting lolipops and candies to all the kids that were running around.

It was a light 'schwag' year for me I got a few buttons, stickers and a couple patches, no necklaces, or braclets, but I'm not there for the schwag anyway.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:08 pm

I woulda liked one of those laminates.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:10 pm

Rilopie wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Go with the bottle caps. Some portion of the glitter will end up on the playa floor as MOOP.

My boyfriend likes that idea too because it means me buying lots of beer with neat bottle tops for him to drink, haha.

You can always bypass him here: East Bay Depot for Creative Reuse.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Rilopie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:27 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Rilopie wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Go with the bottle caps. Some portion of the glitter will end up on the playa floor as MOOP.

My boyfriend likes that idea too because it means me buying lots of beer with neat bottle tops for him to drink, haha.

omg! <3<3<3
that place is like 10 minutes from my work, how awesome!
Rilopie

Burning Since: 2008

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:29 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I woulda liked one of those laminates.

I left a couple hanging behind the bar at Booby Bar, and I have a few left overs that I'll bring next year. No worries, you'll get one.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby Savannah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:05 pm

Gave:

* Necklaces I made
* Cups
* Travel t.p.
* SPF lip balm
* Just-in-case stash of feminine hygiene stuff (I was totally stoked to give this away 'cause when someone needs it, they NEED it)

Received:

* 2 beautiful necklaces
* Burning Man stickers in varying designs
* 4 Glow-in-the-dark )'( bracelets
* Princess Minnie hat . . . from Jella!
* Assistance in pounding rebar!

Also Given/Received: a lot of food & drink this year. Was given a perfect, cold plum, a can of beer from a visiting art car, almond champagne, creamy pasta, cookies, a fried nutella sandwich, 2 grilled cheese sandwiches, which are so perfect when you're hungry as hell, etc, etc. For my own part, I shared shots of cold ginger vodka and pear vodka w/ chilled pears, beer, etc. My favorite new edible to share was pickled asparagus, also chilled, in the heat of the day. Made a few converts! A lot of people are unnerved by asparagus, so--it was gratifying. :lol:

I was a little bummed that not all of my little presents turned out right this year . . . I actually had swag for (among others) curiousgnate, C187 and Jella, but they weren't what I wanted 'em to be, so it'll hafta wait 'til next year . . .
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:08 pm

I showed a couple people in camp how to use bungee balls. Damn were they grateful haha
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:42 pm

Rilopie wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Rilopie wrote:

omg! <3<3<3
that place is like 10 minutes from my work, how awesome!

It is a very wonderful place. I find all sorts of nifty crap therein.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:43 pm

A very handsome Camp Cats! Cats! Cats! patch
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby MistressSybs » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:20 am

Gave

icy cold firm grapes that came from our working Cruise America RV fridge

2-3 meals of spaghetti and meatballs with wheat noodles - in one of the awesome chinese food to go containers that Changs delivers their food in... enough for two plus 2 plastic wear sets per container. One of the guys that got one during a dust storm couldn't believe that we were sharing spag.... he's all and it's still HOT ... OMG!

5 gas containers that we emptied during the week

4 boxes of wine to the dpw

Received

3 beautiful necklaces

1 beautiful pink umbrella

3 different mooped beer cams in my bike basket... I guess it's better than the ground

lots of hugs and special moments
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.
MistressSybs

Postby Da Mule » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:34 am

Bounce530 wrote:I made a bunch of laminates with what your suppose to say to LEO's and handed them out to virgins and bars. Most people were like, "um, ok."

That's a great idea. Got any of those that have recommendations on what to say to animal control?

Bounce530 wrote:...and helped a bunch of people set up their tents and yerts.

Thanks for doing that. I was hammering away, something like 30 strikes per super-long stake when someone with big muscles came by to help me. Two to three strikes per stake for him!

You forgot to mention your gift of ear scratches on eplaya!
Da Mule

Postby swampdog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:57 am

Da Mule said:
I was hammering away, something like 30 strikes per super-long stake

It also helps to have a bigger hammer. Besides, ladies like a man who swings a big hammer.
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby geospyder » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:39 pm

MistressSybs wrote:Received

I gifted someone a pink umbrella. By some chance were you in a pink tu-tu when you received the pink umbrella? I was camped on the corner of 6 and H
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby Homiesinheaven » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:06 pm

my most memorable gifts have been:

-one frozen grape and one powdered Donette at sunrise at the temple. unfuckingbelievable!
-two AA batteries for my camera so i could shoot the sunrise.
-a brave "i love you guys" from a lonely stranger.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby MistressSybs » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:11 pm

geospyder wrote:
MistressSybs wrote:Received

I gifted someone a pink umbrella. By some chance were you in a pink tu-tu when you received the pink umbrella? I was camped on the corner of 6 and H

Nope not me ... was at the Black Rock Syndicate when I got mine. =)
Opinions and Assholes, everybody's got one!

.:: starfuckers incorporated ::.
MistressSybs

Postby swampdog » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:13 pm

Given: Me
Received: You
swampdog

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

Postby Boijoy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:43 pm

we gave: about 50 tampons, 9 tooth brushes, 2 toothpaste, 3 sunblock, paperplates, 8 plastic cups, condums, 1 pair socks, lots bungies, 3 rolls of duct tape, bike tube, 3 spools rope, 1 bottle of water, ALOT of blow pops, safety pins, asprin, neosporin, many band aids, antacid, 5 pr goggles, many bandanas, more blinkys & glowies that I can remember, bacon, ummm and more stuff I can't remember or wasn't there for.

received: much appreciation.

Metro Mart Rocked!!
don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Tabula Rasa Mistress » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:58 am

Gifted:

-Everything burners needed to make their own jewelry. Tools, wire, hemp, cord, leather, findings, semi precious stones, beads, etc. (Many virgin burners were very happy to find a space where they could make gifts to give).
-A gifting center stocked with LED headlamps, sunglasses, lighters, jewelry as well as other useful items that burners left for peeps to find.
-Cigarette butt tins (made from recycled Eclipse gum tins---my best friend and our children, who have never been to Burning Man, paint them and I seal them with acrylic and add ribbon so they can be worn as a necklaces. We've been making them since '07 and they work really well, as shutting the lid extinguishes the cigarette and no MOOP---and they are pretty).
-A table laden with non-perishable snacks inside the jewelry tent. Burners really seemed happy to snack on pretzels, apple chips, etc.
-Pink Floyd and Dead Can Dance playing loud enough to hear within the jewelry tent.
-60 plus pillows and a hammock in our teepee-like shade structure (we hosted a sweet young man from Astonia after the burners he camped with left on Saturday---he graciously appreciated sleeping in the hammock under a tree of lights we make in there).
-A single and double bowl chair in our other chill structure, open 24/7---super comfy and been burning since '04; beautiful, appreciate burners slept in these spaces, leaving no trace when they wandered off, many nights. Including us on burn night.
-Extension cords, lotion, water, blankets, first aid, etc.
-Space; our neighbors, Camp NoseFish and ourselves, put up a trash fence walkway between our camps for the Cafe Village, so that they had a pathway back to their village, once the event opened. Christmas lights lit their way throughout the night. They were very gracious for this small gift of about 6' by 100'... And surprised.
-Hair washing, hair braiding and hair fall making, for those lovely ladies who left their hair natural for the week.
-Advice: Directions to many wanderers, as well as information regarding Safer Sex Camp for females that came in and needed it.
-Bacon; we did, we gifted bacon. And Toblerone.

Given:

-The most amazing and gracious group of burners ever to come through our camp. Our busiest year ever, we were complimented on being "the perfect camp, in the perfect place at the perfect time", which is about the greatest gift one can receive when a lot of work has been put in to bring a camp like ours. Thank you's were prevalent, return burners abounded and no outside burner drama. It was a great, if not exhausting, week.
-Water and coffee from our neighbors and neighbors from year's past when one of our campmates gave ours away throughout the week (read below). Long story, I learned a very good lesson in patience; and know who I would never invite to camp with us again.
-A ride on the Nautilus out the movie theatre---Priceless. Live music-amazing.
-Being on the open playa at sunrise for the first time and being gifted a gorgeous landscape. With my two favorite guys.
-Burners gifted myself and other campmates with jewelry they made in our camp; as well as left jewelry and handcrafted art in our gifting center for others to find.
-The melody of Playa Jazz Cafe all week. Enough said.
-The aroma and gift of coffee every morning from Camp Nosefish.
-Placement in Center Camp, which allowed us to watch the burn from our bowl chairs, with gifted snuggies that created a "cave" that we peeked out of during the whiteouts. We also had a rare vantage point of seeing much of Burning Man pass right in front of us. A lot of work, but an experience we will always remember.
-Watching the Lamplighters emerge every evening to light the city.
-Awesome Ranger Lady gave us patches.
-Awesome Mayor of Kidsville came by with her amazing daughter and husband; a true gift.
-Canadian burner wandered in one evening and gifted us with handmade purses and amazing company.
-Burner gifted a purse she constructed from t-shirts.
-Two couples from our local area came and shared space with us and brought supplies. And danced. And ate.
-Burners we've come to love and appreciate over the years visited often and made our week full and satisfying.
-A week long conversation with a Center Camp artist that pierced my soul and opened discussion about race, spirituality and love. I will be eternally grateful for her.
-A campmate that tested our patience, authenticity and nerves with their aggressive, offensive and bullying behavior. The gift? Said campmate was the relative of the most amazing, thoughtful, gracious and beautiful campmate we've had ever. Worth every single second.
Tabula Rasa Mistress "Lady D" married to her favorite person, "Roo"
Camp Tabula Rasa
Burning Man 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010/
LA Decom 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009/
Xara Dulzura 2005, 2006 (Camp Zenplicity-Burning Man 2003-Virgin Year!)
Tabula Rasa Mistress

Postby Tabula Rasa Mistress » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:41 am

I forgot the best gift given to us this year:

The beautiful locksmith who came out Friday to unlock our truck---no charge, glad to do it; and blew me away with appreciation when we gifted him a tin and some Guinness---you don't get that kind of service in the default world.

Lady D
Tabula Rasa Mistress

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:41 pm

My coolest gift received this year:

I'm biking along the 6 o'clock ring road in the peak heat of the day.. around 3-ish. Tired.. a little thirsty.. burnt. I look down, and there in the middle of the street is this plum that is covered in dust. I ride by it once.. then think.. wait a second.. a circle back around.

I pick it up, and sure enough.. it's a beautiful, perfectly ripe plum. There's a guy with a mister standing there spraying people, and he watched the whole thing. I wheel up to him.. and he just smiles and sprays it off. I wipe the sucker down.. and it's perfect. Not even bruised from being dropped. In fact, it's still slightly chilled like it had just come out of a cooler.

I take a nice big bite of it.. and my god.. it's perrrrrrrfect. So sweet, so juicy, nicely chilled.. omg. I ride along eating it all the way down to the pit.. all the way remarking at my little treasure that was tossed my way by the playa gods.

(the end)
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:43 pm

It was damn nice to get one of your bills, Rob, sent on by thoughtful campmates.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:54 pm

I got, THEE, most beutiful, awsome, helmet...........from Boobarians.........my friends.
horns, furs, badges...........One of the great moments, ever.
I felt so speshul..........

and, now, I say: ......

.............................................NEE
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Thecatman » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:24 pm

I, for some reason wear a watch while there. I was blessed with gifting the time of day to dozens and dozens of folks this year.

We, the folks I camped with this year, and myself, had to pretty much take care of a newbie from Michigan that was camped next to us. He was'nt moochin, but was'nt totaly prepaired so we took him under our wings and we did it with a smile. A real nice fellow though, he helped us keep things tidy around camp and he gave good conversation.

We were informed by some officials (guessing DPW) that another street was to added beyond K so we built a "metropolitan park" across K street from our camp that several people sat in and appeared to be enjoying the view of the Calico mountains.

Meeting several eplayans at the MnG was a memerorable gift that I recieved.

The patch I got via snail mail from a member of camp Cats! Cats! Cats! will be kept forever
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby LostinReno » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:17 am

Best gifts given this year;

Always my favorite gifting item!
Otter Pops in the heat of the day on Thursday and Friday. Which in turn, turns into one of the best gifts received is the big thankful smiles/hugs given in return!

Myself and 5 others went in on some pathtags (coins that could be made into necklaces/keychains etc. with the BM insignia and a tracking number on the back to see where people were from)

Our cute German neighbors that were camped with primarily vegitarians. We fed the carnivores meat on a couple of occasions, never seen anyone get that exited over ham and eggs! LOL! They were very sweet! 8)

Best gifts received;
The look of wonder of our virgin campmates faces the first night on the playa.
Patches from Howzit
Patch from Bucky Cat!!! (all patches are now on my sweatshirt, of course it's 90 degrees, and haven't been able to wear the sweatshirt yet :wink: )
Necklaces from Swag-Mart, Fallout Shelter, and the mouse and cheese art car guy, (that one's lethal but very cool!)
LostinReno

Postby geospyder » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:58 am

LostinReno wrote:Myself and 5 others went in on some pathtags (coins that could be made into necklaces/keychains etc. with the BM insignia and a tracking number on the back to see where people were from)

This is the pathtag Lost mentioned we gave out this year. The actual size is between a nickel and a quarter.

You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby Fire_Moose » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:56 pm

OH! I want one! Got any lefT?!?!?!

I want one with string too.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Thecatman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:36 pm

LostinReno wrote:Always my favorite gifting item!
Otter Pops in the heat of the day on Thursday and Friday

Damn I forgot to mention that, I had a gal, maybe late 20s to mid 30s gift me an Otter Pop. She had a box of them and she had a pair of scisorrs to cut the top off. It was late morning or early afternoon I'm pretty sure on Thursday.

I am totaly ashamed of myself for not mentioning that. :oops:
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!
"We in Arizona (and the rest of the United States) have been more than patient waiting for Washington to act."
"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem."
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:50 pm

String? String? String!
What a prolifigate moose you are! You think string grows on trees? You think that it can be had for the asking?
Have you learned nothing?
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Elorrum » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:19 pm

Waiting in a pulsing stop during my exodus on Sunday around noon, while thinking of animals and babies that shouldn't be left in hot cars, someone handed me an otter pop! lovely. Magic Marty gave me a beautiful necklace that has actual playa fired into the glaze.

This year I seemed to be in spots to hand people back the things that fell off their bikes. I had some tools and string (yep, I have extra!) to put a bike rack back on. Last year, I helped put bikes together as well. My neighbors showed up with 6 brand new unassembled bikes. That was fun. The year before I had a headlight and pliers and about 20 minutes to help remove a kimono from a bike that was completely wrapped around the back sprocket as well as the chain. A gentleman was walking down the road, carrying a yellow bike, and we had an interesting project getting him back to rolling transportation.
Elorrum

Postby Radioactivebongwater » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:40 am

I plan on making a ridiculous amount of gifts to give, charms, necklaces, pouches, and any other random things that I create throughout this next year. : ) I love gifting to strangers.
Peace, Love and Crafts.
Radioactivebongwater

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks