Gifts given and received....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:20 pm

weirdscience wrote:
Fire_Moose wrote:Is it glass or is it pyrex? ;)
pyrex, glass would shatter very easily and sum1 would have a chest wound with playa dust and glow in the dark powder in it
Pyrex is a subset of glass with a much lower Co-efficient of Expantion that regular glass (and also a trade name, generic is "Boro-Silcate") and it's generally tougher. I still don't know that I'd be happy using one, but they go in and out fo those other ovens okay...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:22 pm

ygmir wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
ygmir wrote:
weirdscience wrote:
ygmir wrote:
weirdscience wrote:i was thinking of taking little vials necklaces with the man on them and filling em up with playa dust ... what do you guys think?

be unique:
make it a suppository

or, link them for a "Ben Wa" effect

ETA: Ben wa......

whats ben wa

google can be a friendly helper.........

He might also learn something from what I shout at you as I beat you to a pulp for suggesting something as foul (and potentially as pro-female genital mutilation) as sticking glass up your vagina.

*beats Ygmir to a pulp*

hey, hey, hey now............it's not just vaginal, you know........
and, I bet there are many very strong/sturdy containers, that would work perfectly fine,

It has nothing to do with mutilation. nothing.
Some folks do this (I seen pictures, I know).

you may well choose, to read the worst, into a post, but, jeeze.......
I have never posted things blatantly/seriously anti-female or pro-injury towards same.

I will not stand by, and be accused, of promoting injury or disrespect to others, when, it is not the case.............

Harumph!!!!!

storms out

Okay, sorry, there are just certain things that don't belong there, and the mere idea of glass breaking in there...
oooooh. I don't know that you'd want one breaking in your jock strap...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Snow » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:42 pm

weirdscience wrote:sum1 would have a chest wound with playa dust and glow in the dark powder in it

sorry, but that too, has already been done before

hand blown glass (pyrex) dildos are quite popular, and quite beautiful art pieces
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Casanova » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:42 pm

The best gift I recieved was help to keep our hexayurt from blowing away, if it wern't for the nice people that stopped by to help we would have been sleeping on the floor for the next week.. thanks random friends =).
Casanova

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:16 pm

The best gift I recieved was help to keep our hexayurt from blowing away, if it wern't for the nice people that stopped by to help we would have been sleeping on the floor for the next week.. thanks random friends =).

That's a beautiful reminder that the best gift out there can be help or assistance.

I was feeling melancholy this year one evening, and two passing bears asked me how I was doing. When I admitted my feelings, one of 'em offered a hug, and I accepted. He was awesomely cushy, and smelled good, and had the added bonus of no prurient interest. His perceptive kindness reversed the course of my evening.

I'm not even a person whose first instinct is to hug, so when I truly need one--& the right one is offered--it is both rare and very helpful.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Boijoy » Tue Oct 26, 2010 4:15 pm

I too love Bear Hugs. :)

don't forget to floss
Boijoy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Metro Mart

Postby Trishntek » Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:40 am

Gifts that we received without even really realizing it:

Wet Q-tips for the ears and nose are quite refreshing!

One of our camp mates had several solar lights he would be sure to charge each day and then illuminate narrow paths and dark areas of the camp at night.

Then, somebody gave Superman the crabs.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Sham » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Trishntek wrote:Gifts that we received without even really realizing it:

Wet Q-tips for the ears and nose are quite refreshing!

One of our camp mates had several solar lights he would be sure to charge each day and then illuminate narrow paths and dark areas of the camp at night.

Then, somebody gave Superman the crabs.

I didn't do it, but I did stop by for a squirt of absinthe from that superhero. I am pretty sure I left one of my sun necklaces there with you.
Sham

Postby dcweas » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:53 pm

Received:
- a snowcone
- bacon
- popcorn
- cheese and crackers
- a corona
- a hug
- a piece of sea glass
- lamplighter pendant
- and the best - a crystal healing massage when I woke up my second day, sick as a dog/raging headache

Given
- home mad dried mangoes
- home made beef jerky
- beer from a local brewery
- burt's bees
- a hug
I'd rather hit the books.
dcweas

Postby lucky.bastard » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:41 pm

best gift i got: an introduction to a world of people i have been searching for my whole life.., and damn if the first thing they said to wasn't " welcome home "

best gift i gave: at the end of the Georgia regional i took my truck around and loaded all the trash up from the people camped around me.., bags and bags of foul smelling rubbish..., everyone seem very grateful no to have to but that shit in their vans and cars and drive it out..,

** i didn't decide to go until the morning of and could not get a ticket,, a friend of a friend in georgia ( i live in Virginia ) found one on craigslist, called the fellow, met him somewhere in Atlanta, paid him and made the experience possible for me.., it was a pretty good introduction of the kinds of people i met there,, willing to treat complete strangers in a way that some blood relatives wouldn't even consider..,
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
lucky.bastard

Postby Ansgard » Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:46 pm

That was lovely, lucky! Ive always felt. the best things in life aren't things.
Day of anger, day of mourning, when to ashes all is burning.
Ansgard

~Golficus Carticus~

Postby moonrise » Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:21 am

`~)'(~ ` ~Golficus Carticus~ `~)'(~`

~I Don't know how to explain this easily but I'll do my best~

~Golficus Carticus is the cutest little maroon midget type of art cart golf cart you've ever seen...she's an 11th year burner and in tip top shape~

~She and her generous owner Motz of Stag Camp saved my burn 2010 BRC~

~Powerful forces all seemed to be working against me and my attempt to finally go back home!~
~I came to eplaya in defeat, to give up and sell my ticket, I will spare everyone most of the strange details about the camp(s) I had been invited to join for the BM festival of 2010...these camps crumbled due to the recession, inability to accommodate me due to my poor health, deaths in the families, on and on, the list is long~

~I had settled on a maybe weekend trip, half assed burning man experience and or simply ask for advice on eplaya and perhaps scrape together enough dough to buy a suitable, small disabled persons vehicle and wait yet again another year, until 2011~ ouch~ ~eplayans did everything they possibly could to help, they are a gift to us!, snark and all, thank dawg :wink: ~

~After hum drum idling along, fast forward and one day my PM box has messages in it, huh, what is this?, I've never had any of those before???? what is up????~ Low and behold, there are messages from Motz and eplayans pointing out Golficus Carticus :shock: I'm stunned, wtf, how could this be?!?!~ For over an hour I stared at the screen, I can no longer ride a bike, I rely on a cane to walk, my birthday is the week of the burn and a stranger, driving all the way from Oregon?! wants to loan me his infamous BM golf cart and turn a half assed burn into a living dream...I refused twice, said let's wait and see if someone else who has planned an entire week wishes to use your wonderful cart...deadline is approaching and I am able to smash my schedule and make the full 9 day trip! I accepted!~

~Still in shock, I nervously announce "I'll bring extra gas and give rides to other stranded, injured, elderly, tired and otherwise immobile burners!" (all the while thinking, what have I gotten myself into!!!!) fast forward, I got myself into the best community of people in the world!~

~Me and GC and Motz's gift triggered a chain reaction of action, corny but the "gift that keeps on giving" truly I wasn't looking forward to sitting on my butt, stranded and depressed in a half hearted attempt to make it back home...I was able to give over 100+ rides, meet fantastic people who help me and me they to this day and for the rest of our lives!~

~BM is not just a party, it's what we all make of it, I'm still in shock, I brought many other small gifts and gave and received those and the intangible gifts, in short, I get it, it's about sharing and learning and growing and evolving and of course fun~

~I know there are smaller (and larger) gifts given at BM, all of them mean just as much as GC and my time enjoying giving rides and meeting old and new freinds and learning and having fun, this is simply one of the examples of the powerful help Motz's efforts gave to us, Golficus Carticus, what a mindblowing BM & birthday week and beyond the precious 9 days Motz!!!!~

T~H~A~N~K~ ~Y~O~U~ ~M~O~T~Z~ Infinately!~
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby psychoalpha » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:08 pm

Aww, I really want to jump in on this! Last year was my first time and I was totally blown away by all the little gifts I was given that I completely cherish. I received a metric fuck-ton of stickers. One girl who ended up in our camp did an internship or something with BM and gave me one of each of the annual stickers from the past 10 years.

I also got a ton of other stickers from other camps, a beer koozy, a really lovely Burning Man 2010 necklace, another long beaded necklace, a "Love Heals" bandana, "Love Heals" pins, several Burning Man pins, a root beer float, avocados, watermelon, having my hair washed, a massage, flower hair clips, and some of the best hugs I've ever, EVER received. Not to mention snacks, water, chapstick, bike lights, and, um, recreational fun times when I needed them most.

What stuck with me was that I really REALLY want to do something this year. I'd really love to hook up with the people running the Hug Deli and just give people massive hugs for the better part of a day. Also, I make a lot of uterus-themed art, and I'm wondering about making a ton of my customary Uterus Liberation Front patches, except with a Burning Man twist on them (though the combo of uterus and burning..? eek!) Don't know how many people would be into my specific appreciation of the female reproductive system.

Some great ideas in here, though. Excited to figure something out!
psychoalpha

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Anita Cocktail

Postby lucky420 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:52 pm

uteris art? mmm very interesting (having issues with mine and may have to have it removed soon and not sure how i feel about it) keep us posted on this theme if you go ahead with it please.
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Strata » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:52 pm

I've given out bandanas multiple years. I ordered two huge batches, one with a black and white (like a cow) pattern on them, one blue with hawaiian flowers. I would ask people, without any explanation, "Cows or flowers?" and whichever they answered, I'd give them that bandana.

Always useful to have another bandana on the playa!
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011 *
Strata

Burning Since: 2006

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks