Gifts given and received....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Gifts given and received....

Postby accordionMan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:45 am

What kind of gifts worked for you in the past?

Helping a neighbor is wonderful. A little piece of your art is nice.

One year I gave out crystals... folks loved it, but I found that besides carrying almost 20 pounds of accordion, I was lugging ROCKS with me. Nope, not going to do that again.

Anyway... here's a gift for you... for the past few years I've been designing "money" for the playa.

$1,000,000.00 dollar bills that say "Gift to the bearer a MUTUALLY SATISFYING experience worth a million bucks."

If you want, download the file and print them out on matte photo paper for best results.

NO they don't turn into MOOP. My experience has been that folks treasure the gift and protect it as one of their mementos of BM.

http://www.digitalartist.com/art/burningman/money.html

What gifts were most touching that you received, which gifts did you enjoy giving?

Curious minds want to know!

FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm
accordionMan

Postby Token » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:50 am

Fargin Sweet!
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby MoonSplash » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:33 am

On the playa, I've been given as gifts:

The best hugs in the world
a barbecued turkey leg at 2 am while walking randomly in the dark
A bottle of water when I most needed it after a hot sweaty hour of dancing
a leather bracelet with the MAN on it (wore it until it fell apart)
an Arabic scarf
Help with getting rebar out of the playa when I was totally exhausted
Cold fruit
Shaved ice

Most memorable: day 1 in 2008, my friend is suffering terribly from heat stroke when we're a mile away from our camp, I'm a virgin and not sure how this whole thing works and my heart is telling me, "Just Ask For Help." I flagged down a Mutant Art Vehicle and they kindly agree to cart her back to camp. I'm left with two bikes and I'm not coordinated enough to ride my own bike and handle hers as well. And suddenly a stranger walks by and offers to help walk the other bike up a couple of streets - he's gotta turn left, so he cajoles someone else to help me walk the bike another couple of streets... and THAT stranger hands me off to another stranger to help me... home. What a gift.
MoonSplash

Postby Fire_Moose » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:39 am

I gave out crystals once, but then every one started wanting more and more it was weird...then a bunch of them started cleaning the community shade, very strange...

I like teaching staff. and helping people that look like they need help as i walk by. Oh and little flashlights
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Clar-i-ty » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:06 am

One year I made a bunch of crochet beanie hats with draw strings so you could also use them as a little swag bag. That was a fun gift to give.

Last couple of years I just brought extra stuff to give to those who needed it. Spare goggles to a college girl wondering around center camp in a t-shirt and undies, aloe vera to someone with psoriasis, an inner tube, and my favorite was glow sticks and blinky lights to a grandma getting back to her camp on her scooter as the sun was going down. That one felt good.

Best gifts I've received were a frozen fudge bar and iced chai tea. Mmmmmm!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby some seeing eye » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:35 am

I have an interactive gift, renewed for several years, no material. Gifts are great, but if you can develop an exchange that isn't material and works with your comfort level and that of the giftees, I would say go for it!

Some great suggestions here, the best gift is one tuned to your "gifting radar", right thing at the right time.
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:57 am

I am with Clar-i-ty

I didn't conciously bring anything to "gift" my birgin year, but I DID gift a lot of stuff. I was WAY over prepared and had extra goggles, sunglasses, chapstick, lighters, gads and gads of cigarettes, dust masks, head wraps, and re-usable battery powered LED light type of glowy-stuff.

I ended up gifting out most of this stuff. I was so glad I had it!

You never know when your, fill in the blank, is going to get TOTALLY fucked up.

However, I have recieved some PRETTY amazing gifts.

-ice cold watermelon on Thursday afternoon
-canned sardines on day one (because I used to be vegan and didn't bring ANY meat to the playa)
-some of the most amazing hugs I've ever had
-a shoulder to cry on from someone I had never met when I needed it the most

In addition, I have seen some pretty amazing gifts go to other people who really needed it. And that's a really beautiful thing.

It's more about coming from the heart. A truly helping hand.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Most memorable: day 1 in 2008, my friend is suffering terribly from heat stroke when we're a mile away from our camp, I'm a virgin and not sure how this whole thing works and my heart is telling me, "Just Ask For Help." I flagged down a Mutant Art Vehicle and they kindly agree to cart her back to camp. I'm left with two bikes and I'm not coordinated enough to ride my own bike and handle hers as well. And suddenly a stranger walks by and offers to help walk the other bike up a couple of streets - he's gotta turn left, so he cajoles someone else to help me walk the bike another couple of streets... and THAT stranger hands me off to another stranger to help me... home. What a gift.

That was a very sweet story, thank you.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby accordionMan » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:30 pm

"Help with getting rebar out of the playa when I was totally exhausted "

I know all about that... the day I was leaving i had everything down and packed except for one 18" stake that for the life of me I couldn't get out of the playa. Each time that i made a major effort to get it out of the ground, it left me more tired and weaker. A fellow who was passing by stopped and after a bit of grunting managed to get it out of the ground. Who ever you were THANKS AGAIN!

Some other memorable gifts... ice cold cherry Popsicle deep in the playa. A squashed penny embossed with a BM icon... gifted by 2 people to me (glued one to my accordion and another one to my copper braclet). A "got fire?" lighter.
FREE MONEY to BURN 2013:
Some accordion at BM: http://current.com/items/89239638/rob_the_accordion_man.htm
accordionMan

Postby harrypotterybarn » Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:56 pm

I've been thinking long and hard about this (heh heh) since I'm flying in and I've got to keep weight down and whatnot. Do you think folks would take well to a traveling "seamstress"? I've worked the faire circuit for years and have a fairly robust "emergency repairs kit". I figure I'll amp it up a bit (heavy duty thread and pins, glue, tape, sparkly patchy bits) and then offer my services to anyone with dragging hems or unintentionally bare patches.

This is the best thing I could come up with that wouldn't just end up littered. My companion is trading music, so I figure we can compliment each other (a song while i sew?)

I know no one requires you to gift or anything, but dammit, I like giving gifts!!
HPB

Pure virgin burner
harrypotterybarn

Postby ibdave » Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:01 pm

eye to eye contact followed by a great smile...yup... 8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Bluemandrew » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:22 pm

ibdave wrote:eye to eye contact followed by a great smile...yup... 8) 8) 8)

Agreed
Bluemandrew

Postby cahlm » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:56 am

The past couple years we have been making embossed soap for gifting. We homemake it so I dunno how well it works, but it looks and smells nice.
cahlm

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Geodesia

Postby ygmir » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:50 am

I thought you were going to say: forehead to belt buckle
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby VeganChoirGirl » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:11 pm

ygmir wrote:

Hahaha...yay.
Finally moving to SF...can't WAIT!
VeganChoirGirl

Postby jella » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:21 pm

being flagged down for a fresh mango margarita ... yummm
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby Trishntek » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:53 pm

ygmir wrote:

you're such a perv
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby Elorrum » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:06 pm

I took a magic class in a local adult ed program. I barely remember two rope tricks, but they are pretty good. One I used to get my postcards mailed, and I taught them both to a very nice boy of ten-ish age, who hailed me from the road for some cold mate (mah-tay? tea?) Many of the things I've brought in the past were just trinkets, and had little meaning to me, so why should I expect them to have meaning as gifts? I ended up bringing them home with me. Last year I made postcards and put stamps on them. I think I'll do the same again this year. They are flat, light, easy to carry. More meaningful is helping someone when they need it, and I try to be on the lookout for those opportunities. I was finding bits of rope in my camping gear, and it reminded me that I should practice my magic tricks as well.
Elorrum

Postby sportsmobile » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:33 pm

i've got about 2 dozen or so 1oz applicator bottles with biodegradeable bicycle chain oil in them to hand out to those in need of a good lube.

i also have a couple dozen of the nicer emergency style glow sticks (i despise glow sticks but my former employer was throwing them out so i figured better to be used then thrown away) to gift those with no light at night.

and a few other gifts as well.
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country. - Thomas Jefferson
sportsmobile

Postby Mulligan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:13 am

Gifted:
1. extra water to neighbours who had gifted way too much to some hippy girls
2. Lighters with the man embossed on them. Love to git that one.
3. A mint tin (for cig butts) to a kid who was woefully underprepared.
4. Picked up and anonmously returned camp items for neighbours when the wind placed them near our camp.

Been gifted:
1. tp at the porta-johns when the supply ran out. Somebody walked out and just handed me a few clean squares...
2. An ice cold hug. Couple of girls at artic camp bought some ice and had to figure out how to get it back to their camp. They duct taped it to their chest. Then they proceeded to go around hugging everybody. It felt soooo good!

This year, we're taking tennis balls with holes cut into them. We changed our camp posts so we have a few extras. We're going to take a few of them around and place them on rebar we see exposed anywhere we go.
Mulligan

Postby illy dilly » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:00 am

harrypotterybarn wrote:I've been thinking long and hard about this (heh heh) since I'm flying in and I've got to keep weight down and whatnot. Do you think folks would take well to a traveling "seamstress"? I've worked the faire circuit for years and have a fairly robust "emergency repairs kit". I figure I'll amp it up a bit (heavy duty thread and pins, glue, tape, sparkly patchy bits) and then offer my services to anyone with dragging hems or unintentionally bare patches.

This is the best thing I could come up with that wouldn't just end up littered. My companion is trading music, so I figure we can compliment each other (a song while i sew?)

I know no one requires you to gift or anything, but dammit, I like giving gifts!!

That would be awesome!
But be ready, after helping people fix clothes, they may require you drink with them, you could end up real wasted real quick!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby CLARKcon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:31 am

Bravo :) I second that thought...material possessions & trinkets fade-n-break, but a sincere memory and/or moment can last the rest of your life.
COFFEE CAMP: "The Social Hub of the Uncivilized World"
"Remember- Drink coffee...it's for your own good"
"DRINK IT!"
"...it's only just begun."
"To Percolate & Serve."
CLARKcon

Location: .:P3 OASIS & COFFEE CAMP (@ 2:15 & "G") in Fandango Village:.
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: COFFEE CAMP

Postby harrypotterybarn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:37 pm

illy dilly wrote:
harrypotterybarn wrote:I've been thinking long and hard about this (heh heh) since I'm flying in and I've got to keep weight down and whatnot. Do you think folks would take well to a traveling "seamstress"? I've worked the faire circuit for years and have a fairly robust "emergency repairs kit". I figure I'll amp it up a bit (heavy duty thread and pins, glue, tape, sparkly patchy bits) and then offer my services to anyone with dragging hems or unintentionally bare patches.

That would be awesome!
But be ready, after helping people fix clothes, they may require you drink with them, you could end up real wasted real quick!!!

I sew better when I'm drunk! At least, I think I do.
HPB

Pure virgin burner
harrypotterybarn

Postby Fire_Moose » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Mulligan wrote:Gifted:

This year, we're taking tennis balls with holes cut into them. We changed our camp posts so we have a few extras. We're going to take a few of them around and place them on rebar we see exposed anywhere we go.

You could also give those tennis balls to people with bikes that have naked kick stands.
2K8 Burning Man Virgin 2K11 Camp Envy
2K9 Camp Envy 2k12 Fucking Flamingoes
2k10 Stag Camp 2k13 Camp Envy
Fire_Moose

Postby Nitevenus » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:09 pm

My first year home I found that my overpreparedness ended up being the best impromptu gifts that I could have given. At the last moment I threw my "crafty" box into the RV, of which had an over abundance of this and thats. When the neighbors found that I had safety pins and various needles and threads, a humungous supply from one of those commercial grade safety kits and a "I kind of went crazy on the glow stuff" supply...the extra gas supply for the generator.... well, the stuff I did bring for "gifts" went ungifted. Somehow, the playa presented the gifting opp itself and felt so much more rewarding. Hugs, smiles, the laughter were the best gifts in return. And to think, everyone (including me at one time) gets so jumbled up in the "gifting"........Relax, be who you are and let you shine through.
Nitevenus

Postby ibdave » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:45 pm

Nitevenus wrote:My first year home I found that my overpreparedness ended up being the best impromptu gifts that I could have given. At the last moment I threw my "crafty" box into the RV, of which had an over abundance of this and thats. When the neighbors found that I had safety pins and various needles and threads, a humungous supply from one of those commercial grade safety kits and a "I kind of went crazy on the glow stuff" supply...the extra gas supply for the generator.... well, the stuff I did bring for "gifts" went ungifted. Somehow, the playa presented the gifting opp itself and felt so much more rewarding. Hugs, smiles, the laughter were the best gifts in return. And to think, everyone (including me at one time) gets so jumbled up in the "gifting"........Relax, be who you are and let you shine through.

my wife brought her sewing machine to finish a costume one year. a smoking hot girl next to us heard and worked on her stuff while the rv air was very very cold.......... :wink: :wink: :wink: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:34 pm

Actually, there are people who bring sewing machines to the event for gifting. Rapid repairs or whatever. I suppose you could bring lengths of cloth and make skirts. Or skip the sewing machine, decide they're sarongs and call it good.

And then you could not bring the sarongs because they don't have hems and you don't want them to moop thread. It's amazing how easy gifting can be when you just use your imagination...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Rilopie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:41 pm

A guy at my camp made necklaces from rocks he found on the playa and gave them out. I thought it was really special.
The otter pop was pretty memorable too...
My fav. though was all the people that I would ride by on my bike and they would wave and say hi, it was like we all knew each other. :)

I'm starting to think about what I want to gift out next year... I found little bottles of SPF 30 giltter sunscreen on the internet, which I think is totally rad. Or maybe some kind of bottle cap jewelry... earrings and pins with some kind of man symbol on the inside.
Rilopie

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:56 pm

Go with the bottle caps. Some portion of the glitter will end up on the playa floor as MOOP.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Rilopie » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:06 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Go with the bottle caps. Some portion of the glitter will end up on the playa floor as MOOP.

My boyfriend likes that idea too because it means me buying lots of beer with neat bottle tops for him to drink, haha.
Rilopie

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks