Where does your Ticket Live?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Where does your Ticket Live?

Postby SilkenTofu » Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:58 pm

Okay, I understand tickets are still in transit and a lot of people are still contemplating buying their tickets (JUST DO IT), but once they have come into your life where do your tickets live until they are ready to be used? A safe? Under your pillow? Glove box in the car? In the Cookie Jar?

I placed mine in my favorite hardbound book (The Life and Death of Peter Sellars) and back on the book shelf until August.
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....
SilkenTofu

Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

Re: Where does your Ticket Live?

Postby Icepack » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:01 pm

SilkenTofu wrote:Okay, I understand tickets are still in transit and a lot of people are still contemplating buying their tickets (JUST DO IT), but once they have come into your life where do your tickets live until they are ready to be used? A safe? Under your pillow? Glove box in the car? In the Cookie Jar?

I placed mine in my favorite hardbound book (The Life and Death of Peter Sellars) and back on the book shelf until August.

It's supposed to go in the safe. But the safe is in the closet and there is too much junk in the closet to open the safe door. So in the meantime, it's on the bulletin board in the kitchen, waiting to be put in the safe.

It's also been photocopied and hung in my office, and scanned into the computer.
Icepack

Postby shitmouse » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:06 pm

... in my Dom Perignon box from graduation years ago. also keep passports there as well.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby Dork » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:12 pm

Mine, if it already exists, is at the ticket office. I won't see it until I show up at the gate and give them my name and confirmation number.

I'm still not sure why so many people get their tickets delivered because of the extra cost plus the need to keep it safe, remember to bring it with you, etc.

Will-call is the best! Used it the last two years with no problems.
Dork

Postby Sensei » Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:13 pm

To quote myself from the "Still No Ticket?" thread:

The thing is, I loved having my ticket by February. I immediatedly stuck it on the front of the fridge so I could always see it. I would touch it, stroke it, take it out for dinner, a movie, maybe a little dancing afterwards, and who knows? Sometimes, if the ticket had a couple of drinks and was feeling generous, I even got lucky. This REALLY, REALLY helps in getting through a dark, cold, rainy Northwest winter.
Sensei

use a color copy to look at/post on fridge...

Postby kiki » Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:49 pm

...and keep the real thing safe. last year my friend had hers on the fridge, roomate had friends over late one night, **poof** no tix when they woke up the next morning. heartbreaking.

(roomate polled friends to find out who the thief was, failed (predictably), but paid my friend for the ticket, anyway. classy AND responsible)
kiki

Postby III » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:24 pm

>>I would touch it, stroke it, take it out for dinner, a movie, maybe a little dancing afterwards, and who knows? Sometimes, if the ticket had a couple of drinks and was feeling generous, I even got lucky.

huh.

seems to me the people working on projects don't have this obsession. yer too busy welding/measuring/sewing/whatever to fondle a ticket...
III

Postby _tears_ » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:18 pm

I have walk way into my room which is decorated with BM cost carts and necklaces from past (years) and other trinkets. I put it in a zip lock bag and hang it to that wall.

Tears 2003, 2004

The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
_tears_

Postby PurpleKoosh » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:51 pm

Mine currently resides in its Priority Mail envelope, sitting in the hutch on my computer desk. If it were an old TicketBastard-style ticket, it would be in a Ziploc in the fridge, probably in the butter tray. (I used to work a TicketBastard counter, back in the days when BASS still existed. I've seen what can happen to thermally-printed tickets....)

If I get particularly motivated (unlikely in 97-degree weather), I may bring it over to my boyfriend's place and have him photocopy front & back and file that with his Important ESD Shit, so I have a record of it somewhere other than my house.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby Sensei » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:28 pm

III wrote: seems to me the people working on projects don't have this obsession. yer too busy welding/measuring/sewing/whatever to fondle a ticket...

Well, last year I spent about 300 hours making my gifts. Hope I didn't disappoint you too much.
Sensei

Postby calsur » Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:38 pm

Taped to the right side of my computer monitor so I can enjoy the artwork of the ticket and the anticipation of showing up.
calsur

Postby Sensei » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:26 am

By the way III, did you plan on contributing to this thread, or did you come in here just to belittle others? I don't really care one way or the other, but if it was the latter, then I've got lots and lots of company, don't I? So, your turn, III. Tell us where your ticket lives. What? You're not going? So why hang around sniping in the "Where does you ticket live"? Surely, you have better things to do, whereas I (who has sex with his ticket) clearly do not.

I know dozens of people who will not even consider posting on this board because of this sort of crap.
Sensei

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:33 am

:shock: :lol:

:P

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:46 am

Where the hell IS my ticket? I did will-call the last few years... I wanted an actual ticket this year that I could put up somewhere cool and have a tangible part of '04, but all I am is worried about WHERE THE HELL IS IT?? AAAHHGGGHHHH!!!
Now, I know the nice people at the ticket office are very busy mailing eleventy-zillion tickets.... but WHERE IS IT?!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Postby bloodroses917 » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:48 am

ticket sleeps- it rests its beautiful little head in my top drawer with my fancy panties. :-) where else would such a big, bold, powerful being such as my ticket to sanity, want to lie?? well in amongst the thongs and silk is where! :-) oh happy happy little ticket.....
never trust me 100% ;-)
there are no ladies like the playa ladies!!
bloodroses917

Living tickets

Postby gilmore » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:02 am

bloodroses917 wrote:
its beautiful little head in my top drawer with my fancy panties.....
amongst the thongs and silk is where! oh happy happy little ticket.....

I want to be a Burning Man ticket in my next life
Eat till you're tired, sleep till you're hungry
gilmore

Postby robotland » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:30 am

Red Robot holds my ticket, on the robot toyshelf in my studio. Sometimes he lets me touch it.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby headquarters » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:04 am

i feel so cliche, last year the tickets were in the cookie jar, and this year they are in my lovlies "drawer with my fancy panties"
headquarters

Postby SilkenTofu » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:33 am

I can just see the greeters this year asking if they can smell your tickets.

You can make it a game and see if they can guess where your tickets have been.

Eww... mine's sticky.
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....
SilkenTofu

Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

Postby DVD Burner » Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:38 am

SilkenTofu wrote:I can just see the greeters this year asking if they can smell your tickets.

You can make it a game and see if they can guess where your tickets have been.

:idea: just the thought of that made me think of becoming a volunteer greeter................ummmmm

na!

nice thought though. :lol:

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby III » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:51 am

>>did you come in here just to belittle others?

nope. my apologies. that didn't come out at all the way i intended it.

one of the things burning man awakened in me is a sort of deconstructionest mind set - learning to experience the experience directly, rather than get attached to the symbolism. it's part of why i was so anti photography in the past - the pictures aren't the experience, they're symbols representing the experience. likewise, the ticket is a symbol of something yet to happen. so it doesn't hold much value for me, whereas the actuall act of preparing something does.

but, that's just my own personal view. i understand that symbolism (which is part of ritual, after all) can be a powerful thing. i didn't mean to ridicule, only to offer my differeing view. i apologize for doing it in a rude and superior seeming manner, it certainly isn't superior, just different.
III

Postby blyslv » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:03 am

Sensei wrote:I know dozens of people who will not even consider posting on this board because of this sort of crap.

That's unfortunate.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby blyslv » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:06 am

Our tickets are tucked under the spinning karma wheel on the 'fridge. The last two years a friend got my tickets, so I never saw them until we got to the gate. This year the duty was mine. They came last night. But when I got the email that the were en route it jump started something in me. I think that's the value of the ritual that III mentioned.
blyslv

Postby Bob A » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:10 am

III,

I'm impressed, I like the concept. Although, I'm on the ritual side of the fence myself.

My ticket is locked in my 1920's cash register and a color photo copy sits next to my computer as I plan and create for burningman. I've only read it about 20 times so I'm not to hooked, am I?

bob A
Bob A

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:10 am

Mine is locked up in a fire-resistant safe. I make a copy of the ticket and use it for a screen saver on my work PC - makes the morning grind a bit more palatable.

To people who use will call, have you ever had to cancel and if so, could you sell your ticket to someone else?

regards, Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Postby blyslv » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:12 am

blyslv wrote:
Sensei wrote:I know dozens of people who will not even consider posting on this board because of this sort of crap.

That's unfortunate.

eeeck I'm quoting myself! But it wouldn't let me edit to a post that's been responded to.

I wanted to add that exposure to different personalities, modes of thought, perceptions and modes of expression are a big part of the reason we go back to the event and a big reason people come here. If it was just a constant series of "I agree" or "you're so right" it would be boring here and its value would be diminished.

When we go to the desert we know that we will be potentially exposed to baking sun, merciless wind, maybe rain, sleet or hail. We also know that there will be some people who do things we consider less then perfect, like speeding in their art car, adversly judging your art or farting upwind of you. I don't think it is reasonable to expect that the eplaya would have no annoyances either, such as people who disagree or may come off as abrasive.
blyslv

Postby Dr. Pyro » Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:34 am

Newsflash to Sensei: Trey (III) doesn't even go (at least not this year) to Burning Man, so get off his back.

Two of my four tickets are unaccounted for, but the two that arrived safely are tucked away in their own little corner. DO NOT do what another member of Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro did last weekend: Took out his two tickets to show a guest, put them in the back pocket of his pants, and then proceeded to toss them into the laundry. Bad idea. The combination of Tide, hot water, and $330 worth of Burning Man tickets equals one very expensive load of wash.

The Doc
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dustdevil » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:46 pm

They are stored in my safe at work with other important documents. BUT, they are listed as the first item to get on my checklist. I have this fear of getting there and not remembering to bring them.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby blyslv » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:22 pm

Let's hear it for ritualistic talismans!!!

What's your fetiche?
blyslv

Postby PantzookaHQ » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:31 pm

bloodroses917 wrote:ticket sleeps- it rests its beautiful little head in my top drawer with my fancy panties. :-) where else would such a big, bold, powerful being such as my ticket to sanity, want to lie?? well in amongst the thongs and silk is where! :-) oh happy happy little ticket.....

And your panty drawer is where? Address please.
Providing pants to the pantless.
PantzookaHQ

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks