isn't it ironic, dont you think?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

isn't it ironic, dont you think?

Postby my innerself » Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:55 pm

I have never been to BM, and I really hope to one day (unfortunately I live in Australia). From what I can tell the BM experience is like one big happy caring family. But I would have to say that I am a little dissapointed that when all you burners get back to the real world and congregate here on this bulletin board alot of that love dissapears. I read alot of the posts and I find that the majority of people are very abnoxious (spelling), annoying, rude and inconsiderate which goes against the very ideal of Burningman.

Peace

p.s. I wonder if the oncoming thread will cement my statement?
If only everyone was stoned, then I would not feel so alone
my innerself

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:34 pm

I think it may only be an American thing native to the west coast.
Either something about returning to the culture or maybe too much heat to the head. Frustration and/or confusion of realities. Burningman=home or home=away.
:lol:

However if you notice (which I'm sure you have.) eplaya has happier writings closer to the time of the event.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:39 pm

I think every one of us on this message board would love to meet and party and would be the best of friends. Some of us are.
What appears to be a lack of love is really just sarcasm and rib-poking. So get over it, dumb-ass!
And stop by my camp and I'll make you a margarita.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby my innerself » Sat Apr 24, 2004 5:53 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:So get over it, dumb-ass!
And stop by my camp and I'll make you a margarita.

Is that a poke in the ribs?

By the way I might just take you up on that Margarita offer. Cheers big ears.
my innerself

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:06 pm

You'll have to show up on the playa! And doing so from that far away will probably get you all the margaritas you want.
Are you aware of local (to you) Burner groups? There are people from countries all over that come, I bet there are some in yours. Hooking up with them could make it a little easier to make the trip happen. And there are certainly people to hook up with here to help get you from wherever you fly in to Black Rock City.
Fart-knocker.
Captain Goddammit

Postby Lydia Love » Sat Apr 24, 2004 6:31 pm

The population of the playa is just like the population of the rest of the planet. Of a diverse nature.

so you could have someone be an incredible asshole to you and then a second later receive the most astonishing act kindness.

sometimes it'll be the same person.

Hope you make it someday... leave those expectations in Australia and you'll be happier.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby shitmouse » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:20 pm

actually, BM is a cacophony event, which is indeed by nature a jab into the *uglier* parts of society, or a helping hand to 'recognize' or wake up something up. -(sound, pranks, etc.)

it's really not a love fest of sorts -(RB fest), but it *is* a conscious
entity of very good people. sometimes an experience can be a small sword of wit or sarcasm that can jab deep or skim off the surface light-heartedly, scenario pending. other times you meet people that you will know from here on out. the experience goes all over the spectrum.

BM is also a time to 'take out yer garbage'.
I personally appologize for *my* rude behavior at times, but it's kind of like a hand-me-down shirt you got from your big burning brother.
--- all in the name of good and understanding.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby _tears_ » Sat Apr 24, 2004 7:34 pm

Burning Man IS a family.... In most familys, there are rude, annoying people. THere are the no-it-alls and the bullshitters. The people you love to hate, the people you hate to love. Thats apart of being a family. Given this is jsut MY opinion and not ment to be taken as if i am saying " this is how it is".... We are all different, with different personallitys. The Eplaya also doesnt host as many people that are there ON the playa. And the fact is, we cant all live in the burning man state of mind, we come back to work, life, problems, issues ect.

Tears 2003, 2004

The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
_tears_

Postby Zulegoona » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:09 pm

Burning Man IS a family.... In most familys, there are rude, annoying people. THere are the no-it-alls and the bullshitters. The people you love to hate, the people you hate to love. Thats apart of being a family. Given this is jsut MY opinion and not ment to be taken as if i am saying " this is how it is".... We are all different, with different personallitys. The Eplaya also doesnt host as many people that are there ON the playa. And the fact is, we cant all live in the burning man state of mind, we come back to work, life, problems, issues ect.
I haven't been yet so we'll see after I'm there if I feel the same way but, I was first attracted to the site and e-playa. there seemed to me to be a positive mix of liberal and conservative ideas, no commerce / self-reliance, radical self expression / community building threw volunteerism people my age (48) and kids. The blend of contradictions is I think what has given me the feeling that I have found my people. The diversity makes it interesting. There is no one dogma or experience one is suppose to take away from the event. I am all for being civil to one another as I try to be in every day life, but would be disappointed if others didn't feel comfortable enough with the community I feel a part of to express there anger, disgust, happiness, sorrow, gratitude, and love when they are moved by there emotions. expressions of self in a community context is the Burning man spirit as I see it.
Zulegoona

Postby marnen » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:36 pm

Innerself, it's an Internet thing; I've seen the phenomenon in other groups. The people who post on the e-playa have nothing better to do than sit behind a computer sniping at each other (yes, I fully realize the irony of this statement!).

In person, I believe you'll find it very different. See you on the playa sometime, I hope!

Best,
Marnen Laibow-Koser
marnen@marnen.org
marnen

Postby DVD Burner » Sun Apr 25, 2004 12:11 am

Ms. innerself is now one of my favorites if she does'nt mind my saying so. :lol:

She too funny.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby calsur » Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:51 am

Ric,

Not nice to have you back
calsur

Postby my innerself » Sun Apr 25, 2004 2:34 am

Umm, DVD, I hate to correct you but I have too on this one, Im not a girl Im a guy
my innerself

Postby DVD Burner » Sun Apr 25, 2004 8:51 am

my innerself wrote:Umm, DVD, I hate to correct you but I have too on this one, Im not a girl Im a guy

:shock:

Almost as shocking as finding out that Bush and Cheney are liars.

Really didn’t matter to me either way weather you were female or not. My mistake for placing gender to describe my opinion.

Still pretty funny. :lol:

my innerself wrote: I read alot of the posts and I find that the majority of people are very abnoxious (spelling), annoying, rude and inconsiderate which goes against the very ideal of Burningman.

Peace

What really cracks me up is how some few take everything that is posted so seriously to the point where you can just imagine (no names necessary) steam coming from the ears as the eyes roll up in the head as the head bangs consistently against the wall as if that is going to make oneself feel better. I guess most times, people forget that it's a message board on the internet and sometimes words written here may be written in such a fast fashion that no matter how much proof reading is done, sometimes what is meant to be said will never come out the way one means.
Sometimes it takes a little extra effort to figure out what each other is trying to say. Sometimes that just may be too much for some to do.

I'm sure that happens from time to time with my Rummy rants. (Short for Rumsfield) No one has said anything about them yet, but I'm sure it annoys a few that spend a lot of time on the eplaya.

It's all in fun. I guess the irony is, those few tend to forget that it's all supposed to be about fun. Somehow the humor gets lost in the shuffle. I truly hope this changes. I think it already has started. :lol:

Best part is just like in real life and the way this country is being run, there is a long paper trail. Lots of reading to look back on, I love not having an edit function.
Not only is it challenging but it sort of places what is posted on the eplaya in virtual stone, so to speak.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Re: isn't it ironic, dont you think?

Postby Bob » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:08 am

my innerself wrote:....I find that the majority of people are very abnoxious (spelling)....

[Note: expect misspelling trolls to be corrected in eplaya 3.0, and email the admin if you'd like to submit cites of "abnoxious" as a 'Strine regionalism.]
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:09 pm

Well actually you CAN edit your posts; I have a time or two. There is an "X" button next to the "quote" key... you can remove your own posts and rewrite them if you want. It's not the most convienient way to go, but it works.
Captain Goddammit

Postby shitmouse » Sun Apr 25, 2004 3:20 pm

inner, you have a pm.
cheers,
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby III » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:13 pm

>>I have never been to BM

that woulda been a good place to stop, dontchya think?
III

Postby Isotopia » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:19 pm

Speaking of irony....

Quote:
I read alot of the posts and I find that the majority of people are very abnoxious (spelling), annoying, rude and inconsiderate which goes against the very ideal of Burningman.

We're not all THAT bad. Hell, the statement above from someone who admits to never having gone to the event makes you shred worthy. I mean, coming here and suggesting to us what the event is about has gotten more than one silly lamb tossed to this wolf pack.
Isotopia

Postby III » Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:26 pm

btw - i've never been to australia. but it seems to me...

(oh hell. i'm just not that mean. either that, or i'd be violating th u.g...)
III

Postby my innerself » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:33 pm

my innerself wrote:From what I can tell the BM experience is like one big happy caring family

So is the attitude from people on this bullitin board any different from the people attending BM?, if I get to BM this year should I be on the lookout for trolls bearing gifts of poison? I openly admit that I have never been to BM and that is why I come to this bulletin board, to hear what people have to say about it, and try to figure out if it is really worth me making a pilgramidge (spelling) to BRC, from what I have learnt so far I think I will be trying extra hard to come this year.
my innerself

Postby Dork » Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:58 pm

So is the attitude from people on this bullitin board any different from the people attending BM?

No, the rest of the 30,000ish people are actually clones of the 15-odd regulars on this board.

You seem to have your mind made up about something. Is there honestly anything we can say in this thread that will make you suddenly believe differently? Vibes at BM are primarily positive in my experience but shit does indeed happen. People say things as a joke which are not perceived that way, things are stolen or broken, rules are selectively adhered to and enforced, and people occasionally freak out. If you go there looking for negativity you will find it, just as you are on this board. If you go looking for a positive experience you will most likely find it.

As I suggest to everyone, do go to Burningman. Get there early in the week and drive up by yourself so you can leave if you find you don't like it or don't get along with the people you're camped with. Go with an open mind and don't expect it to be any particular way. Everyone I've talked to with a preconceived notion of what happens at BM, no matter how thoroughly researched, was wrong. You have to go and see for yourself.
Dork

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:02 pm

my innerself wrote:
my innerself wrote:From what I can tell the BM experience is like one big happy caring family

So is the attitude from people on this bullitin board any different from the people attending BM?, if I get to BM this year should I be on the lookout for trolls bearing gifts of poison? I openly admit that I have never been to BM and that is why I come to this bulletin board, to hear what people have to say about it, and try to figure out if it is really worth me making a pilgramidge (spelling) to BRC, from what I have learnt so far I think I will be trying extra hard to come this year.

I tell ya, I'm so tempted to give an answer/opinion to this question. Especially after some of my experiences on this board. I've been to BM and have had an awsome time. It makes me wonder also sometimes.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby ramen » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:29 pm

my innerself wrote:I have never been to BM, and I really hope to one day (unfortunately I live in Australia). From what I can tell the BM experience is like one big happy caring family. But I would have to say that I am a little dissapointed that when all you burners get back to the real world and congregate here on this bulletin board alot of that love dissapears. I read alot of the posts and I find that the majority of people are very abnoxious (spelling), annoying, rude and inconsiderate which goes against the very ideal of Burningman.

Peace

If you want peace and love, try the Rainbow Festival. Same bat-channel, different continuum.

Yeah, people are pretty nice there. They can also be downright surly, sarcastic, juicy, loveable, and sado-masochistic all in a big, happy, kind of way. Makes you kind of want to scream with the pure intensity of the vibe.
Short Attention Span Theatre
ramen

Postby ramen » Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:33 pm

Aaarrrgh!! I said 'vibe'. My brain is shrinking, shrinking....

Love and peace are kind of a side-effect of minimal rules. Of course, you could also argue that after beating people with foam bats, or riding your bike all over a hot, dusty plain for hours n hours, or seeing juicy acts of total abandon in various venues, you're just too spent to be anything but content.

Kind of like going on a long walk. You just feel better for the experience.
Short Attention Span Theatre
ramen

Postby III » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:31 pm

>> attitude from people

seems to depend largely on the people you meet, and how you interact with them.

if you're kinda friendly, and have your shit together, you get along fine, though you'll run into a couple of assholes.

if you walk up to someone building something while you're holding an umbrella and a wine cooler and start giving advice, you'll probably get a radio, err, tape measure to the noggin.

if you go into someone else's camp, and start demanding that they behave in a fashion you consider acceptable, expect to meet some hostility.

and the third time some alphabet ingesting spacetard walks over your tent fucking all your shit up, you'll be presented with the option of being all peace love and happiness, or maintaining some sense of order in the world.

if you show up completely unprepared, and require a lot of help to get there/set up camp/feed yourself/not go to the med tent, you'll get a lot more grief than if can handle your own shit.

and talking to someone who's been doing something for a decade or so, and t saying "i've never done this before, but you're doing it wrong" will probably just get you laughed at, in a mean "we're not laughing with you" kinda way.

as to the difference you note between here and the real event, there are anumber of differences. there, you can walk away from someone, or tell them to get the hell out of your camp if you're not getting along. it's easy to find your own space among 30,000 people. here, a couple of annoying folks can grate on each other to the point where nerves are frayed, and take up the whole space without leaving a space for others to escape to. the people here are also kind of the more dedicated, obsessed, or involved. they're (generally) the ones who put in hundredsd of hours and thousands of dollars ro make the stuff that you appreciate out on the playa. they can be a bit gruff out there, too. but you'll get a fair number of it's all good plur happy people that don't care about year round community because for them community is just showing up and taking happy drugs, but they contribute to the sense of happiness there.

huh. i've rambled. short version - yeah, it's nicer out there, but don't be surprised if it's not a full on love fest, either.
III

Postby Badger » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:40 pm

I tell ya, I'm so tempted to give an answer/opinion to this question. Especially after some of my experiences on this board.

<tongue........bleeding.>

Must.....not.........
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:42 pm

Badger wrote:
I tell ya, I'm so tempted to give an answer/opinion to this question. Especially after some of my experiences on this board.

<tongue........bleeding.>

Must.....not.........

that makes the 2 of us. :roll:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Badger » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:47 pm

that makes the 2 of us.

Remember grasshopper, there is a difference between must not and cannot.

The difference being a chasm wide.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Badger » Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:48 pm

....and a chasm deep.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks