I wanna get there, really I do

BUT HOW?

Here's my dilemma/situation/present summary: :arrow:

I am 18.
I want to go to Burning Man
Oh Yea
But....

I don't have any way to get there.
All the vehicles at my present disposale (sp?) will actually have to be used upon return from Black Rock. From what I have heard of the overwhelming dust, that is not possible.
I'm not rich, so buying a vehicle for just Burning Man would be silly.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I think this particular situation is why so many people just don't bother to go. I know for a fact that some of my friends have had tickets, but just couldn't find the wheels.

SOMEBODY HELP!!
There is no greater wealth than wisdom; no greater poverty than ignorance;
no greater heritage than culture.
pintobean123

Postby Ivy » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:56 pm

>>All the vehicles at my present disposale (sp?) will actually have to be used upon return from Black Rock. From what I have heard of the overwhelming dust, that is not possible.

Um, becuase we all go out and buy new cars every year after Burning Man?

I'm still driving the same vehicle I drove to the playa last year, and (knock on wood) I'm gonna drive it there again this year.

yes, there is a lot of dust. No, you will never get ALL of it out of your car. But functionality? Other than a thorough cleaning outside and in, possibly a new air filter (and leaving out any extenuating circumstances), the car should be fine.

There might be other reasons not to drive there, but you might want to read more about this sort of info on the website and here on the eplaya before coming to conclusions that the car will forever be unuseable.
Ivy

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Apr 20, 2004 7:57 pm

The dust really isn't that bad. It's not going to instantly incapacitate your vehicle. Mine's been going for the past four years and she just passed 356,000 miles on the odo.

The thing to remember is that AS SOON AS POSSIBLE after you get off the Playa, take it to a full-service carwash and don't skimp on the bottom blast. You might even want to squirrel some money away into a nest egg, starting now, and spring for a detailing job when you get home. Even with the tip, you'll save on just about everything else. I'd estimate your lead-up time to departure for the desert is about 130, so if you stick away $5 a week you'll have $100 to spend on a detail job.

Or you can take the $100 and buy a boatload of cleaning supplies, cotton swabs, Armour-All wipes, orange cleaner, and suchlike, and spend a day doing it yourself :) Since you're so intent on coming to the Burn, I assume you're a DIY-type ;D
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Apr 20, 2004 8:10 pm

I'm not extremely rich, but I have a vehicle pretty much just for Burning Man (crew cab dually pickup, camper, flatbed trailer to haul large art car) so I guess I fall into the category of "silly".
Burning Man isn't gonna ruin your car; it is gonna get it pretty dirty. Given a choice, I wouldn't bring my nicest rig, and like mentioned above I'd spend some - O.K. a lot - of quality time at the car wash as soon as you get home...
It's just dust, it isn't sand. Blowing sand would be a bad deal, none of that to worry about.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Postby unjonharley » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:19 pm

I work the inside of the van (witch is open all week) with a dry paint brush and vac. Hold the vac tube up to where your cleaning and sweep in the dust. Easyest if you start at one point in the car and work your way around to the start point again. Then wet clean the carpet. Then wash, rinse and towel dry all hard surfaces. About 3 hours inside.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:21 pm

One thing you can do to abate the (interior) dust problem:

Point the vehicle's nose to point into the wind (southwest, primarily), cover the intake vent right in front of the windshield with gaffer's tape — <b><i>NOT duct tape!!!</b></i> — and/or cover the interior dashboard with a damp towel. Keep all windows that open to the south and west closed and open the north side only rarely. East side can usually be left open in calm weather.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Dork » Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:44 am

As others mentioned, the dust is really not that big of a deal. I worry more about accidents or breakdowns during the trip.

There's plenty of ride share action going on the month before the event starts. I've given rides to people the last two years.

Last resort, find a rental car with no restrictions on travel from wherever you're coming from to the Nevada desert.
Dork

Postby DangerMouse » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:21 am

Dork wrote:As others mentioned, the dust is really not that big of a deal. I worry more about accidents or breakdowns during the trip.

There's plenty of ride share action going on the month before the event starts. I've given rides to people the last two years.

Last resort, find a rental car with no restrictions on travel from wherever you're coming from to the Nevada desert.

Many companies, depending on state law and internal policies will wither not rent to individuals under the age of 18, 21, or 25. Those that do, will sometimes tack on an extra $25 per day charge, etc.

Not saying that they will definitely do this, but it is something to research ahead of time.
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Push your worries aside.

Postby poeticphoto » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:36 am

I just want to say don't worry. I'm taking my 88' toyota camry from New Orleans. It's a 2 day drive and my car's navy so I imagine the heat will be SO bad. And guess what - my car has NO airconditioner! Woohoo. Also, the temp gauge on my dash is broken so I really need to get it fixed before we leave or I'll have to worry the entire way of overheating. I don't graduate until May so needless to say I work a measly paying job. I average $150 a week, but also still live at home so maybe it evens out a little. I still have expenses like insurance though so money is not flowing out of my pockets. My advice to you would be go ahead and take any car you can. If you're comfortable with it and worry about your own car just try to find a ride with someone coming from your area. Search around the sight for a carpool from your area, you're not the only one who needs a ride and there are plenty of burners who are more than willing to offer you some room in their vehicle. Like the others have said, I'm more worried about breaking down on the way there. The dust can be washed and washed and washed away. Your car should be more than drivable when you get home. If I can do it in my 88' camry, you can certainly do the same. Like someone advised me when I was wondering about the same things... people have certainly made it there and back in worse off cars and from farther away before, so don't make yourself sick with worry. I hope you choose to make it out to the playa this year, however you do it. Good luck. See you out there. :)
poeticphoto

rental cars

Postby Icepack » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:40 pm

DangerMouse wrote:
Dork wrote:As others mentioned, the dust is really not that big of a deal. I worry more about accidents or breakdowns during the trip.

Many companies, depending on state law and internal policies will wither not rent to individuals under the age of 18, 21, or 25. Those that do, will sometimes tack on an extra $25 per day charge, etc.

Not saying that they will definitely do this, but it is something to research ahead of time.

We are over 25, but one year my husband went with a guy who was under 25. Yes, there was a surcharge but they were still able to rent. If you are traveling a long distance (we drive from Massachusetts), I recommend a rental car. That way if there is a breakdown or a problem, the rental agency will deal with it and you won't be stranded without a car.
We are budgeting about $500/week or so. This is what credit cards were made for, right? We are paying extra for the miles and insurance too. You could definitely rent a car for cheaper.
Icepack

Postby Chai Guy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:47 pm

1. Fly out (even if you live in S.F.)

2. Arrange for ride to Playa via the Ride Share Board (when such board becomes created, hopefully soon).

3. Put a little money away to help contribute to gas and it would also be a nice gesture to maybe buy the person driving a meal before you hit the playa and or on your way back to the airport.
Chai Guy

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:11 pm

Hi again pintobean 123. The one major fact you left off your question is, "Where are you coming from?" If it's most anywhere on the West Coast, there are ride share programs. If it's from the East Coast or Midwest, the same thing holds true: People are trying to hold down expenses and you probably could snag a ride. Are you alone or with a boy/girl/general friend? We are picking up a guy who is flying from Chicago to Sacramento, so there are ways to work it out even if you do not have the ride. Keep looking, things should work out.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks