Camp size

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Camp size

Postby funrog » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:31 pm

So I can't wait to get back to the Playa. It was my first time last year and I can't stop talking about it. Now several of my friends will be joining this year which brings me to this question...I'll be going on Tuesday but most of my friends will come Thursday/Friday. Are there any guidelines about claiming a certain amount of space so that we can all camp in the same area? Last year I saw yellow tape and such. There will be 8 of us, for now...
Rog
funrog

razor wire heheheh

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Apr 18, 2004 10:29 pm

The way spaces filled up around me last year by Thursday ( and I was on the second to outer ring Monday night...out in the boondocks at the time) the trick might be to have as few vehicles as possible to try to hold spots for. No particular guidelines on claimed space that I know of...others??
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Land grabbing

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:11 am

The yellow tape/little flags are marking registered theme camps. If you're not inside someone elses plot of playa, you're free to mark off some land for your group.

When you come in off the pavement, talk to the Greeters about available territory. Since there are only 8 in your group, there shouldn't be much problem, since this is a small group. Be aware that others may want to encroach on "your" area, and parking vehicles around your perimeter is your best way to avoid misunderstandings.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Camp size

Postby funrog » Mon Apr 19, 2004 6:27 pm

Thanks. Guess I'll just have to see then since it'll be me, my truck, and hopefully by then a fixed up camper with a kick-ass sound system.
He he...I can't wait! 8) javascript:emoticon('8)')
funrog

Postby shitmouse » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:02 pm

note:

just a quick note about getting space. this last burn, i have never seen so many people get there so "on-time". many camps were there and space taken very early in the week. -- and on the flipside, many were late setting up. in the week.

in the past, the event wouldn't 'fill' till around thursday, then cramp with bud-can-littering fratheads on friday and sat.

you'll be fine. just know that you won't be camping "as close as you want to "the front". -(an ideal that i have to deal with every year from my friends that can't get there as early as i can: "ok dude, this year your getting space in like the 3 rd street back right?")

i've said this before, but camping in the "neighborhoods" can be a good way to get some fun and color going out past the first 3 streets. --- provided you make it happen.

-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks