does it or doesnt it?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

does it or doesnt it?

Postby jonanotjones » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:22 pm

is the early part of the festival mostly setting up and preparing for the second half of the week, im thinking about arriving monday but unsure of how the day and nights are going to be filled,i dont mind giving a helping hand with other peoples project if needed,but i could have it all wrong meaning that it kicks off from monday.well does it or doesnt it?
a collective of owls is a pariament! fact not fiction

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 17, 2004 2:38 pm

Check in at Playa Info in Center Camp if you need to ask where volunteers might be needed.
Amazing desert structures & stuff:

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Silver » Sat Apr 17, 2004 3:21 pm

I think that most or your questions will be answered here: viewtopic.php?t=3341. And trust me you will have no trouble keeping yourself occupied at any time.
My grandfather tried to raise me as a Southern gentleman, that means that I can be a real SOB some of the time.

Postby Alpha » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:05 pm

If you have the time and ability to camp all week, then by all means you should do so!

Postby Lydia Love » Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:41 pm

unsure of how the day and nights are going to be filled

I laughed when read this... read it out loud to my husband and he laughed...

we haven't had any problems with boredom. a much bigger problem is every year I get home and find out I only saw / experienced / participated in a teeny fraction of what's going on at all times.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Tancorix » Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:29 am

Boredom? In Black Rock City?
Your kidding, right?

Seriously, the only way you'll be bored if is you sit in your tent all day and night and never leave it. Of all the words I can think of to associate with BM, boredom is NOT on the list. There is so much to get involved in, to look at...oh man, you have NO NEED to worry about boredom, none at all!

Postby Ivy » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:15 am

I have been bored before at Burning man. Sometimes becuase out of all the 4,000 things going on, none of them were things I wanted to do.

Postby Dustdevil » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:19 am

Is that like 300 channels on the TV and there is nothing good on?
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:34 pm

In past years there was a lot of set-up going on earlier in the week, but last year it seemed everyone had things going much sooner than ever.
Either way, I actually prefer the early part of the week; less crowd, fewer yahoos...
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.
Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

arriving early vs arriving later...

Postby Icepack » Sun Apr 18, 2004 8:43 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:In past years there was a lot of set-up going on earlier in the week, but last year it seemed everyone had things going much sooner than ever.
Either way, I actually prefer the early part of the week; less crowd, fewer yahoos...

I was one of the early arrivals last year, and it was an experience to watch the city grow. One morning I had a nice clear view of the man, the next morning I was looking at the back of an RV. However, the people IN the RV were some very cool guys who fed my man real steak and potatoes. So it wasn't all bad! :-)

Seriously, it was a little boring at times to not be involved in a project all the time, but part of that was my doing. I enjoyed sitting in a chair and taking it all in. Once I became comfortable with the wind, it was cool to watch the city being built, growing, and breathing.

Postby stuart » Mon Apr 19, 2004 1:44 pm

all those folks setting up all day early on need to blow off some steam at night. That is, if they have any energy left. I hate to say it, but I like those early in the week after work parties better than the later week stuff. I think my best night last year was Tueday. Although I had been there since the previous Thursday.

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:55 pm

There is definately a certain rhythm and mode change over the week. Last year we got there the Friday before it opened (we were part of the medical team, and yes we were needed that early) and that meant that I got to watch them "Fly the Man" (move the effigy onto its pedistal) which was fun for me. (Heck, I have fun watching the heavy construction in San Francisco--the smaller scale and intemacy enhanced that for me.) As the week goes by, there's more people, the parties go on for longer into the night, more traffic, more going on, the feel of the community changes. Plus, the heat and altitude definately make a difference to me. The first couple of days I'm not human--if I arrived teh day before the burn, it would be sort of pointless. Of course it depends on your character, time available, and 100 other things. That being said, try to make it for more than the weekend. It's a more meaningful experience. IMHO>
Burning Since: 2017

Postby shitmouse » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:06 pm

the earlier part of the week is better than the latter.
-- if i had to cut out and leave bm during it's week, it would be by thursday than after.
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks