Contacts on the Playa?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Contacts on the Playa?

Postby raquelita » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:08 am

Hey everyone,
I wear contacts, and vastly prefer them to wearing glasses especially when I'm active. I'll be going to BM for the first time this year and all the talk about playa dust has me wondering if contacts are a good idea in the desert. Does anyone wear contacts or glasses and have suggestions?

Thanks!
Raquelita
raquelita

Postby phil » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:10 am

This'll be my 15th Burn, and I've worn contacts every year. There are problems with dust storms, and I have goggles and a back up pair of glasses.

Bring goggles and a pair of glasses and see what happens.
phil

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:29 am

I wear contacts there, and haven't had trouble with them. I've occasionally seen other people who have, though. The main thing is to listen to your eyes. If they start making crunching sounds, you've got problems.

Here's a few prior threads of peoples' experiences with them:

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33180

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=23959

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=13627

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=12251

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?p=124504
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Eric » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:06 pm

I wear the long-term "breathable" disposable lenses, one pair lasts me all week. I never take them out and just make sure I have eye-drops handy. The only issue I've noticed is that I have a slight film over my eyes when I get up, but a quick rinse with the eye drops and that goes away.

Definitely have a back-up pair and your glasses as well, just in case something happens.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scammers and Scalpers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby raquelita » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks guys! I guess it's already been discussed at length elsewhere. I just couldn't find those threads. Anyway, I'm usually a daily contact user and have sensitive eyes, so I think I'll just bring a bunch of dailies and a pair of glasses and see what happens.

Also, I noticed in the theme camp listings that there is an eye spa! I bet that's gonna be a great place to go when the contacts prove troublesome.

Check out Dilated Peoples Eye Spa for more info.

-Raquelita
raquelita

Postby phil » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:48 pm

phil

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:49 am

The spa might need Braille. ;)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby oneeyeddick » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:06 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:The spa might need Braille. ;)

They can use thier burn barrel for nice raised letters.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Savannah » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:29 am

I had no problems with my contact lenses out there. I brought several pairs of welding/motorcycle googles (dark ones, clear ones) and artificial tears for maintenance, as well as eye drops for redness (didn't want to use those unless absolutely necessary). It was probably more hygienic to leave them in, but I did sanitize or wash my hands and store them in saline at night more often than not. I brought back-up lenses, and a fresh pair for post-playa, and got my first pair of glasses in years specifically just in case. Didn't use 'em.

My campmate was not as comfortable and wore her glasses a lot. She would have been in a world of hurt without 'em.
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby lucky420 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:47 pm

wish i could wear my contacts but i have to wear the hard ones and any dirt in your eyes makes it feel like your being eye-stabbed :(
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: Contacts on the Playa?

Postby britzbitz » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:02 pm

These:

http://www.lens.com/contact-lenses/lens150.asp

You can wear them for up to a month without taking them out.

I live outdoors/camping for a month setting up for our festival (so most of July and into August), and then went to BM last year. Used one pair from July - Aug, put in a fresh pair for Shambhala, then put in a fresh pair for BM at the end of August. Always kept eyedrops handy, but rarely needed them. Definitely one of the best decisions I made for that summer, comfort wise.

I went back to my regular contacts for this summer. Even though I didn't do the Burn this year, after having it so easy last summer, I found it was a real bitch to take them out every night while I was on site for our event.

Will def. be buying them again next year, and using them during future summers even when I don't go to Burning Man.
"the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware - joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware." - henry miller
britzbitz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: DISTRIKT / Couch Surfer at FunkyTown

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:01 pm

Didn't know about that Contact Lens camp!
Someplace clean to douche the eyeballs?
Ugly Dougly

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:33 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Didn't know about that Contact Lens camp!
Someplace clean to douche the eyeballs?

I don't know where to go with it. I know where'd I go if I were oneeyeddick. I know where I'd go if I were Hans Bellmer. I'm just not certain what Fishy should do...
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby FaeTora » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:09 pm

This was my second year out and I wear contacts the entire time. I keep my glasses on hand if I need them. I also bring a lot of saline because I don't take them out for the week. Yes I know it isn't ideal, but when I tried my first year to take them out, even with clean hands, they had a bit of playa on them and it hurt so bad it took many hours to be comfortable again. Instead, I now wash my eyes with saline a few times a day and wear my goggles and I'm fine.

Hope it helps,

FT
We break to remind us how to mend.
FaeTora

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks