How feasible are Scooters (either Gas or Electric)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby III » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:27 am

>>clueless who think that decorating a golf cart with a strand of blinky lights and a few feather boas is gonna cut it

man, now you're insulting the senior staff. that's not nice.
III

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:32 am

The truth is that since there have been any sort of vehicle guidelines, there hasn't been any logical consistency, just a game of catch-up with what people have been inclined to bring with them to the event. Not saying this is good or bad -- just reality.

Safety concerns aside, you could look at in terms of the BRC DMV having been tasked in part to jury vehicles as "art", but again, in reality, it's somewhat analogous to deciding how to moderate the eplaya, if at all.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:51 am

man, now you're insulting the senior staff. that's not nice.

You're killin' me Trey, *wipes away tear*
Chai Guy

Postby Badger » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:17 pm

Safety concerns aside, you could look at in terms of the BRC DMV having been tasked in part to jury vehicles as "art", but again, in reality, it's somewhat analogous to deciding how to moderate the eplaya, if at all.

Glad you said it Bob. It's the closest anyone I know of has come to using the word 'judge' as far as deciding who gets the coveted DMV permit. Everyone is loathe to admit that judgement is ultimately what it boils down to but the simple fact of the matter is that it's exactly what's happening.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 09, 2004 12:30 pm

The BBS analogy goes as far as you want to take it. My contention would be that smileys are the golf carts of the eplaya, and that "decorated" only means your post shows some evidence of having passed 3rd grade English.

Bob

Postby DangerMouse » Fri Apr 09, 2004 2:42 pm

So a golf cart plastered in wide-lined paper with grammatical rules and practice cursive will pass as art? Maybe I could throw in a few popsicle stick godseyes as well.
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:53 pm

Given that there's no better way to flame anyone on the playa with a big "fuck you!" than rolling up in a golf cart, all the Colorforms and poetry magnets you stick on it literally melt into the background.

Bob

Postby DangerMouse » Fri Apr 09, 2004 4:49 pm

And here I had grand designs to dress up as an obnoxious looking golfer in a cart and play a few rounds at the Playa open.

What if I took bigwheel and dressed it up to look like a golf cart.

Then again I had this plan to 'perform' as a drunken frat boy, and that may be a bad thing too.
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Postby Isotopia » Fri Apr 09, 2004 6:00 pm

And here I had grand designs to dress up as an obnoxious looking golfer in a cart and play a few rounds at the Playa open.

What if I took bigwheel and dressed it up to look like a golf cart.

You could cart around with the women during Critical Tits and pretend you're Dina Shore.
Isotopia

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:17 pm

Bob wrote:The BBS analogy goes as far as you want to take it. My contention would be that smileys are the golf carts of the eplaya, and that "decorated" only means your post shows some evidence of having passed 3rd grade English.

So let me get this straight.

Anyone who is from outside of the UNITED STATES that doesn't speak or write English well, that attends "Burning man" is STUPID.

:?

Just wondering, what are you saying? :shock:

(anyone that knows.........shhhhh!) :lol:

I'm sure if Bob is truely smart he wont answer.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:20 pm

real time !

Ya kinda had ta be there. :lol:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Isotopia » Fri Apr 09, 2004 10:49 pm

real time !

Ya kinda had ta be there.

Yeah, yeah, whatever. Now go take your meds.
Isotopia

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:00 pm

Now see,

The message was'nt for you.

You Imageof all people that has the nerve to tell me about taking meds.

You so funny! :lol:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:09 pm

let me do this right.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:09 pm

change that pic and be an isomert.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Fri Apr 09, 2004 11:11 pm

I love being underestimated. :lol:

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby III » Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:46 am

too bad it never haqppens, then, huh?
III

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:32 am

DVD Burner wrote:I love being underestimated.

As the eplaya equivalent of...

...a Scrabble game with all-blank tiles?

...a bathroom grafittist obviously trying to hold an intense conversation with himself, except he keeps interrupting?

...a three-day dust storm?

...or the van-conversion original-shag-rug locked-in-PARK bar-car with no windows, no vent, no muffler, no door handles, nothing to drink, and a Radio Shack PA system blasting a three-disc rotation during the entire whiteout, but nobody's dancing?

Please feel free to offer something useful or interesting for Newbies -- otherwise, your contributions seem most appropriate for General Discussion. IMO.

Bob

Postby DVD Burner » Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:01 am

Bob wrote:Please feel free to offer something useful or interesting for Newbies -- otherwise, your contributions seem most appropriate for General Discussion. IMO.

Just looking out in the best interest of foreign newbie's that, if they choose, would like to use smilies on their scooters or whatever without being ostracized by the likes of those such as yourself.

I'm sure you did'nt think about that before making the obnoxious statement.

Now, off to the general area for me.

:P

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 10, 2004 11:34 am

DVD Burner wrote:....off to the general area for me....

Promises, promises...

I think it goes without saying that our foreign participants typically have more than a 3rd grade facility with the de facto lingua franca.

As for use of smileys in bar cars and other playa art... hey, whatever blows your skirt up.

Bob

Postby Bob A » Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:42 pm

ramen wrote:
But what about:
the guy driving a flying carpet complete with palm tree and 2 cycle lawn mower engine
the electric wheel chair made over into a mobile mushroom
the hammock on wheels
the motorized bed
assorted mobile couches

In reading the new guide lines description paragraph, they specifically mention couches etc.

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/playa_vehicles/no_driving.html wrote:Mutant Vehicles include non-standard motorized vehicles such as couches, beds, and armchairs. Let the words "whimsical" and "surreal" guide you through your creative process.

So I would say you should fill the form out looks like they will most likely approve it. Better to find out now before you get out there and can't drive it.

Bob A
Bob A

Postby PurpleKoosh » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:39 pm

Bob A wrote:In reading the new guide lines description paragraph, they specifically mention couches etc.

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/playa_vehicles/no_driving.html wrote:Mutant Vehicles include non-standard motorized vehicles such as couches, beds, and armchairs. Let the words "whimsical" and "surreal" guide you through your creative process.

So I would say you should fill the form out looks like they will most likely approve it. Better to find out now before you get out there and can't drive it.

Yes, Yes, YES! The Mutant Vehicle application this year is a 24-page PDF file which needs to be completed here by JULY 15. There is no on-playa registration this year. Let me repeat that:

THERE IS NO ON-PLAYA MUTANT VEHICLE REGISTRATION THIS YEAR.

This is as much for you, the MV owner, as it is for Jewelz and the rest of her staff - and for exactly the reason Bob states above. We want to spare you the heartache of bringing your vehicle all the way to BRC only to be told you can't share it with the community.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby Tancorix » Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:06 pm

One other note...I was thinking about taking a stand up scooter and modifying it into a sit down type with a space frame and then other mods to make it into a spacecraft. The hotties wrote back and said it's like this. If you sit on your ass on or in it and you don't pedal it, it needs a DMV license, in advance, no questions.
Tancorix

Postby Isotopia » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:42 pm

Yes, Yes, YES! The Mutant Vehicle application this year is a 24-page PDF file which needs to be completed here by JULY 15. There is no on-playa registration this year. Let me repeat that:

I'm hoping that part of this information blitz is creating an announce topic which brings the point(s) into a more prominent place for e-playa readers to check out rather than bury it here in a somewhat obscure folder.

Gritz and her team might even go so far as to put it up like an announcement (lock the folder) so that the chance of those unaware of policy changes have yet another source of info.

This is as much for you, the MV owner, as it is for Jewelz and the rest of her staff...

BTW, the policy is being generated not only to make life easier for the DMV folks or would be vehicle operators but, I'd argue, for the majority of non-vehicle operators who're tired of those folks whove contributed to the somewhat diminished experiences of those not wanting or needing a vehicle on the playa (i.e. pedestrians and bike riders)
Isotopia

Postby PurpleKoosh » Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:16 am

Isotopia wrote:I'm hoping that part of this information blitz is creating an announce topic which brings the point(s) into a more prominent place for e-playa readers to check out rather than bury it here in a somewhat obscure folder.

I appreciate the wisdom of that. But I'm just a second year Hottie who doesn't want to overstep her bounds or start sounding like she's trying to speak ex cathedra for the entirety of DMV.

We are being mentioned on the front page of the main site, currently; I'm including the DMV URL in my .sig here, and will be adding it to my profiles here, Tribe, and 6degree. More than that, and I'd worry about looking like I was trying to make a play for Jewelz' job - which I am not by ANY means doing.

BTW, the policy is being generated not only to make life easier for the DMV folks or would be vehicle operators but, I'd argue, for the majority of non-vehicle operators who're tired of those folks whove contributed to the somewhat diminished experiences of those not wanting or needing a vehicle on the playa (i.e. pedestrians and bike riders)

I can see your point here, too - and as a pedestrian myself, will certainly benefit in more ways than one.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

I think the DMV people will be busier this year....

Postby Icepack » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:25 am

PurpleKoosh wrote:
Bob A wrote:In reading the new guide lines description paragraph, they specifically mention couches etc.

This is as much for you, the MV owner, as it is for Jewelz and the rest of her staff - and for exactly the reason Bob states above. We want to spare you the heartache of bringing your vehicle all the way to BRC only to be told you can't share it with the community.

A 24 page PDF form just to bring an "Art Car"? I wonder how many people will say "F--- that!" and just bring one anyway and get the ticket or whatever rather than deal with all of that paperwork!

I for one, am not an art car owner, but I suspect that the number of art cars on the playa this year will be diminished by the 24 page form now being introduced. Hell, my taxes weren't that long!

Hopefully the actual art car owners aren't as put off by this as I am.
Icepack

Postby Tancorix » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:07 am

IMHO: The long form and new process was most likely forced upon us by Kathy Lampman's death, the need for increased safety awareness as a result, problems with the pain in the ass shark last year, junker cars with a string of christmas lights subbing as an art vehicle, and more problems. Plus who can blame the hotties for wanting to get this stuff done before hitting the playa? They want to have as much fun as the rest of us.

I sent an e-mail asking about scooters and was told if you stand on it, no problem. If you sit on it or modify it to sit on, you have to fill out the form. I haven't looked at the form, just the fact that the basic form is 24 pages made me think it's not worth it. Plus some projects come together at the last minute and this new process stifles that....

It's too late to change this year's process but you can bet your ass there will be some comments made at the next town meeting after the event. 05 hopefully won't be this jacked up. Saftey is important, but efficient processes are important too (24 pages? Hello?). There's a balance here, everyone needs to work together and find it.
Tancorix

Postby III » Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:22 am

it's amazing - every time there's a news release related to the dmv, i think it's a joke.

24 pages? my taxes take less than that...
III

NOt to Mention The Questions...

Postby Last Real Burner » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:39 am

DMV Question #296.

Will you be wearing silk panties while operating this vehicle?

if yes, what color?

Re: I think the DMV people will be busier this year....

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:45 am

Icepack wrote:I suspect that the number of art cars on the playa this year will be diminished by the 24 page form now being introduced. Hell, my taxes weren't that long!

Right, this sounds bad...so I called up the 24 page PDF. ITS OK, REALLY! Whew.

There's an introduction of 2 pages

Type and number of Questions:
Yes/no: 11
Check box: 3
One line info: 14
Essay (why is your car an art car stuff):7

Photo

Misc. info totaling about 3 1/2 pages,
Trailer specific info, two pages (mostly trailer 1, trailer2, etc...),
7 pages of legal agreement/safety stuff,
2 pages of fire info/5 questions.

And that's it! The questions about the art car are basic, the information is good to know. Sooooo, I'll take this over tax forms ANY DAY (speaking of which....AAAAAUGHHHH). Happy April 15.
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks