How feasible are Scooters (either Gas or Electric)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

We don't need no stinking Badges....

Postby Last Real Burner » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:09 am

DMV Question #216.

Will this vehicle be Nuclear Powered?

if yes, will it have Mud Flaps?

Postby Badger » Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:15 am

A 24 page PDF form just to bring an "Art Car"? I wonder how many people will say "F--- that!" and just bring one anyway and get the ticket or whatever rather than deal with all of that paperwork!

A ticket will be the least of worries if someone decides to intentionally do an end run around the reqs this year.

Count on it.

In fact, the above situation is primarily what's driving the push in the first place. Too many people in the past have said "Fuck that!" and felt they were above the conditions (see 'entitlement') which drive (no pun intended) the licensing procedure for vehicles. By far the greatest number of complaints and infractions having to do with vehicles had to do with those people who made either no effort or a marginal effort to decorate/mutate and register their vehicles.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

non-registered mutant vehicles

Postby Icepack » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:26 pm

Badger wrote:
A 24 page PDF form just to bring an "Art Car"? I wonder how many people will say "F--- that!" and just bring one anyway and get the ticket or whatever rather than deal with all of that paperwork!

A ticket will be the least of worries if someone decides to intentionally do an end run around the reqs this year.

Count on it.

In fact, the above situation is primarily what's driving the push in the first place. Too many people in the past have said "Fuck that!" and felt they were above the conditions (see 'entitlement') which drive (no pun intended) the licensing procedure for vehicles. By far the greatest number of complaints and infractions having to do with vehicles had to do with those people who made either no effort or a marginal effort to decorate/mutate and register their vehicles.

I imagine a ticket will be the least of the worries, having read the information on the website about them. The vehicles will be left at the gate and not allowed entry. Hope there is a parking lot for them, or will they be towed off-site? Will we be seeing the DPW drive them after the event is over and the original owners fail to claim them?

As I said before, I don't own an art car. The closest thing I'm considering is a bicycle or scooter, and even that I'm unsure about.
Icepack

Re: non-registered mutant vehicles

Postby PurpleKoosh » Thu Apr 15, 2004 1:44 pm

Icepack wrote:I imagine a ticket will be the least of the worries, having read the information on the website about them. The vehicles will be left at the gate and not allowed entry. Hope there is a parking lot for them, or will they be towed off-site?

There will be an impound lot (I believe on-site, but would have to check with the higher-ups); vehicles that show up without having pre-registered will be parked there. Last year, vehicles that did not pass on-playa inspection were allowed to return to their camps; I am uncertain if that will be the case again this year, or if those vehicles will be directed to the impound lot.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby polzicons » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:42 pm

Wow! you guys are harsh! Way back on page one I was talking about the idea of bringing an electric scooter that was so fully Mutated that it would not seem to even need wheels to glide silently across the Playa and in effect would be a "mobile sculpture" for the viewing benefit of all. All the feedback since has been about how strongly against "scooters" most of you are. I'm sad to see that no one seems to make the distinction between a mutated electric scooter with a SEAT and a noisy gas powered 2 stroke seatless scooter without any attempt at transmutation! The way the rules are written, I have a hard time "registering" (have you seen the form?!) the former, while some clown on the latter gets to skate by the DMV... This policy can surely have but one effect: less "ART BIKES" and more motor-scooters! (And mine will be solar recharged, so there's not even a generator involved..). Maybe I'll just wrap some tape on the handle bars and just ride my bicycle. Had wanted to build a moving sculpture. sniff :( -POL
-a phat desert ratt..!
polzicons

Postby Bob » Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:43 am

polzicons wrote:....This policy can surely have but one effect: less "ART BIKES" and more motor-scooters!....

FWIW, "fewer" is better, but best of luck with your communication difficulties.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby technopatra » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:02 am

polzicons wrote: The way the rules are written, I have a hard time "registering" (have you seen the form?!) the former, while some clown on the latter gets to skate by the DMV... This policy can surely have but one effect: less "ART BIKES" and more motor-scooters! (And mine will be solar recharged, so there's not even a generator involved..). Maybe I'll just wrap some tape on the handle bars and just ride my bicycle. Had wanted to build a moving sculpture. sniff :( -POL

<Speaking as a staff member but not an offical DMV hottie>

Well, yes, the form is intimidating, but it's just a form. It is nothing compared to actually creating the art itself. It's a hoop we have to make people jump through so that:

a) we don't have as many non-mutant vehicles roaming the playa this year. I mean, who comes to Black Rock to see a Mitsubishi with poetry magnets on it?

b) mutant vehicle owner/creators are made painfully aware of their safety responsibilities. We had way way way too many irresponsible drivers out there last year. Speeding, no night lighting...shudder.

c) the registration process will be less about "what is art" (always subjective) and more about what is

What it boils down to is if you are really dedicated to a mutant vehicle project, if you really believe in your art, you won't let a little paperwork deter you. Besides, the DMV hotties are there to answer any questions and help you through the form if you need them.

And I will again, for the record, throw my support for scooters-as-art your way. I will be bring out my little electric stand up one (I still can't ride a bike for more than a mile with my bad knee) and it will be even prettier than last year.
technopatra

Postby PurpleKoosh » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:20 am

technopatra wrote:<Speaking as a staff member but not an offical DMV hottie>

Well, yes, the form is intimidating, but it's just a form. It is nothing compared to actually creating the art itself. It's a hoop we have to make people jump through so that:

a) we don't have as many non-mutant vehicles roaming the playa this year. I mean, who comes to Black Rock to see a Mitsubishi with poetry magnets on it?

b) mutant vehicle owner/creators are made painfully aware of their safety responsibilities. We had way way way too many irresponsible drivers out there last year. Speeding, no night lighting...shudder.

c) the registration process will be less about "what is art" (always subjective) and more about what is

What it boils down to is if you are really dedicated to a mutant vehicle project, if you really believe in your art, you won't let a little paperwork deter you. Besides, the DMV hotties are there to answer any questions and help you through the form if you need them.

And I will again, for the record, throw my support for scooters-as-art your way. I will be bring out my little electric stand up one (I still can't ride a bike for more than a mile with my bad knee) and it will be even prettier than last year.

Speaking as an official Hottie...thanks.

Believe me, polz, we're all for scooters-as-art. But the paperwork has to be there, to weed out the folks who are just trying to get their ride approved somehow. (Yeah, the stand-up vs. sit-down loophole is an annoyance. Feel free to bring it up with my boss in feedback.) I was offered a free moped-clone by a friend - and if I wanted to bring it with me, I'd have to fill out the friggin' form, too.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:41 am

polzicons wrote:...All the feedback since has been about how strongly against "scooters" most of you are...The way the rules are written, I have a hard time "registering" ...And mine will be solar recharged...Had wanted to build a moving sculpture. sniff :( -POL

...not the scooters, just the pleasant whine of the cyborg leafblowers...

Build it! You aren't going to let a little paperwork get in your way, no way! (print out the form...bet you can read the info & fill in all relevant questions on it in under 1/2 hour) Bring a BIG solar panel, at least 15 watts, those little 6"x12" trickle chargers won't keep the scooter going.
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Badger » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:31 pm

...not the scooters, just the pleasant whine of the cyborg leafblowers...

Annoyance Factor: 8+

Getting a group of folks whose sole purpose while at the event is to clean the playa surface of all thart pesky dust by using leaf blowers.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

(Art) Scooters at Black Rock City

Postby polzicons » Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:32 am

Wow, thank you all, (especially "Retro-Pasta," "Blue Kooch," "Tiarra," and "Mole Man") for your support! The project is back on track after some serious doubts were overcome by your words of wisdom, proof that this E-Playa is an invaluable tool for planning and exicuting esoteric projects and concepts for Burning Man! I agree 100% with all the concerns about un-mutated personal transpo units, but assure you all that it was NEVER my intention to cruise around the Playa on a scooter because I was too fat and lazy to pedal a bike. (Fat yes, lazy NO.) As Purple Koosh pointed out, [sic] anything worthwile to pursue is a challenge, and I accept this one, thanks for the link! :D Yes I have ample solar collection devices at my disposal Tiahaar, our Camp, "Contraptionists' Corner," will be powered 100% by Solar energy, so why should my secondary (and largely ceremonial) vehicle be any different? I hope you all come by for a visit and have a cold one on me! The Badger can ride one of several exercize bikes connected to swamp-cooler fans that will power "wind dancers," and even use them to clean the playa, yuk-yuck! Thank you all once again for putting the wind back in my sails, and as they used to say some years ago: "See you on the Playa!" -POL of "Pol's Icons" or Polzicons...
-a phat desert ratt..!
polzicons

Postby Tiahaar » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:33 am

Awesome! ...and one less person to steer away from gas scooters : )
8+....Word, Badger!
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:30 pm

I'm gonna bring my Harley this year. Man, it's truly art, chrome everything! And remember, Loud Pipes Save Lives. I'm just gonna take the seat off and stand up on it, so I won't have to register it or nuthin'. It's electric-start, too. Who knows where I can get a foot or two of ELwire? Hey, babes, show me your tits when I rumble by and I'll toss you a beer!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp I'm Going To Hawaii Instead

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks