teepee designs

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

teepee designs

Postby nelson90 » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:04 pm

Hey everyone,

This will be my first year on the Playa, and I want to build a teepee that I will cover with a canvas and write/draw my own designs on.

Some points of interest are:
Wood vs. PVC
Types of canvas
How I would anchor it
Design plans
Dimensions
Height vs. Width
Airflow/heat

and of course, I am on a budget and would like to get the whole thing done for less than $100.

Any advice is greatly appreciated....

peace,

nelson
nelson90

"Dr. I'm a Wigwam, I'm a Teepee!"

Postby polzicons » Tue Apr 06, 2004 10:19 pm

How big a wigwam? How tall a Teepee? Relax man, you're two tents! -Sorry, just couldn't resist. :lol: How big/tall are you thinking? I've seek these great tall telephone pole sized riggs over the years... For under $100 sounds like you're thinking of a smallish construct, like 8' diameter x 12' tall or less.
Fantastic way of thinking after reading the RV thread! Go for it man. :)
Get yourself something to use for the poles (maybe heavy guage conduit with stout connectors.) Remember that the poles "cross" oneanother below thier top-ends unlike a pyramid or 'umbrella.' Make them 16' long, crossing and lashed at 12' and cover with white canvass or plastic tarp. Leave a large ventalation hole at center and have 2 opposing doors for breeze, plan to lash all 3 shut in the event of rain. Cover the floor with old carpet scraps and throwrugs to keep the dust down. Add some old pillows around the perimeter, accent with candles and inscense, and you'll have yourself a first class Chill Space! 8) -POL
-a phat desert ratt..!
polzicons

Postby Bob » Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:28 pm

I have a few links here:

http://www.geocities.com/potatotrap/tech/bluetarp.htm#tents

Keep in mind that a teepee, just like any tent, needs to be properly staked down (eg at each pole) so you & it don't get blown ass-over-teakettle.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby RouseMouse » Wed Apr 07, 2004 6:26 pm

seeing my campmate pols 2 cents worth I just had to make it an even nickle ....
It's been a while since I helped setup or slept in a Teepee but as I remember ....

Due to their shape the wind pushes down from all sides it comes from and the rope used to bind the poles was brought down the center and staked down with a set of stakes. I'd think about adding a couple more tiedowns running outside the structure.
the original poles were lodgepole pine trees which can grow 25 feet with a 3 inch or smaller base. a tripod was lashed together with a long rope which then was used to bind the other poles to the tripod then down to the stakes.
If you live in an area with lodgepole pines you might talk a home owner into thinning his stand for fire reasons. you will need to debark the poles with a spokeshave or other means since it will make a mess on the playa as well as damage your covering if left on.
Two poles were used for lifting the cover onto the frame and holding the smoke flaps open or closed .
There was also an inner skirt that allowed air to flow up the outside walls to help move the smoke out the top while avoiding a draft accross the floor.

on the playa your concern will be dust not smoke since you may not have the fire in your teepee (or on the ground or within 50 feet of a tent) since fire burning down a tent city is a concern since sometime around 1083 and the fire of London

as far as any of your questions go , I have no idea , well I have a couple , but that would take another page
Rouse
~~~{~~{~~<@ <;`g;:g;~~

www.Contraptionists.Com
RouseMouse

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Contraptionists

Postby robotland » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:25 am

It's a good idea to test any structure before it hits the playa. Although teepees have centuries of use-testing behind them it's a different story when you introduce new materials to replace heavy, rigid poles. PVC and EMT both bend, and EMT won't bend BACK. Best would be something approximating the originals, but you'll have to contend with transporting big, long poles or sacrifice strength by cutting them shorter and coupling them together. Perhaps if you made each pole in two sections with some kind of coupler, like a piece of BIG EMT (like 2" or bigger), and added 6' or 8' sections of smaller dia. around it like a splint by binding with rope?
At least if you HAVE to use solid poles, you can roofrack 'em out and then burn 'em.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Re: "Dr. I'm a Wigwam, I'm a Teepee!"

Postby nelson90 » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:22 am

polzicons wrote:How big a wigwam? How tall a Teepee? Relax man, you're two tents! -Sorry, just couldn't resist. :lol: How big/tall are you thinking? I've seek these great tall telephone pole sized riggs over the years... For under $100 sounds like you're thinking of a smallish construct, like 8' diameter x 12' tall or less.
Fantastic way of thinking after reading the RV thread! Go for it man. :)
Get yourself something to use for the poles (maybe heavy guage conduit with stout connectors.) Remember that the poles "cross" oneanother below thier top-ends unlike a pyramid or 'umbrella.' Make them 16' long, crossing and lashed at 12' and cover with white canvass or plastic tarp. Leave a large ventalation hole at center and have 2 opposing doors for breeze, plan to lash all 3 shut in the event of rain. Cover the floor with old carpet scraps and throwrugs to keep the dust down. Add some old pillows around the perimeter, accent with candles and inscense, and you'll have yourself a first class Chill Space! 8) -POL

Thanks for the advice, bro.
Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience in the art of teepee construction.
Anyone else have any input?

nelson
nelson90

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks