instruments on the playa

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:27 pm

Polkageist wrote:Wow, I hope I come across the Irish pub location. I could just install myself in there and merrily play music forever and ever.

Considering that I love my instrument, and I've never been out to Burning Man, my plan is to buy a cheap-ass fiddle and case (~$200 worth) and proceed to play music for everybody with that.

If it dies in the desert, it lived the life of a good cause.

What does it take to make an Irish pub on the playa? Besides a cooler full of Guiness, I mean...
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 am

If there are enough musicians interested, I would be confortable with hosting an Irish music camp, providing a venue for performers. It would not be a "bar camp"; in fact, I would be confortable with a non-alcoholic camp. PM me if you're interested and we'll see what is possible.
Enli - fiddle
Knowmad - flute
Littlejack - mando
joe Buck - pipes
Ugly Dougly

bagpipes on the playa

Postby pamtree » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:06 pm

I am a Scottish bagpiper about to embark on the playa for the first time. I can't take my own pipes, insurance is out of this world, but would love love LOVE to play at BM...any suggestions how i could source a set?
pamtree

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:08 pm

Why don't you just grab a couple of cats, stuff them into a bag, and then stab it them with a fork. Makes pretty much the same sound as bagpipes.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby pamtree » Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:21 pm

now now, they are very nice in their own way ;-)
i'll be sure to give you a special rendition, prove you wrong. maybe not a dawn chorus though...
pamtree

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:12 pm

Bring a practice chanter with a plastic reed. Even if you bring your regular set, you may have a lot of trouble with traditional reeds in the low humidity.

And pay no attention to the cat-hater.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Elliot » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:37 pm

:D
Obtain grand piano, load cat, close lid, enjoy.
:lol:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:49 pm

Heard an expensive violin on the playa.

I doubt he brought the strad, but who knows?

Nothing better than live music out there.
gyre

Re: bagpipes on the playa

Postby Mojojita » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:50 pm

pamtree wrote:I am a Scottish bagpiper about to embark on the playa for the first time. I can't take my own pipes, insurance is out of this world, but would love love LOVE to play at BM...any suggestions how i could source a set?

I have a lovely CD with bagpipe version of Scotland the Brave with the Boston Pops orchestra. I have been known to use it on my adult sons as reveille in the am - stirring, particularly at volume.
Mojojita

Postby gyre » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:52 pm

And I love pipes.
All the wild variety of them too.

Good players don't sound like someone beating a bag of cats.

Seen some wild accordion players too.
Even heard percussion played on accordion.
gyre

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:23 pm

A noble instrument.
Ugly Dougly

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:24 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtXg-FQjwbc[/youtube]
Ugly Dougly

Postby Elliot » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:29 pm

One of my camps mates noodles around on the violin/fiddle. He's no pro, but he does have some tunes down pat and keeps us entertained on our long drives in my camping bus. He will probably bring a not-real-valuable fiddle to the Playa.

This is the year the techno dies! :twisted:
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby pamtree » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:38 pm

ugly dougly - i'm afriad i couldn't get through more than 10seconds of the flutephone children's orchestra, partly through laughing, and partly through pain! wowwee, that is some instrument!
you are probably right about the traditional reeds, i might noise up the dude who is taking irish pipes (no pun intended, yet)

mojojita - yes the pipes are stirring, at volume, they are less well received in the morning ;-)
pamtree

Postby pamtree » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:46 pm

Elliot 'This is the year the techno dies!'

well as much as i love acoustic and traditional hooting and tooting, techno+bagpipes works well (i can hear the cat-haters groaning already!)

check out Mark Saul (i've not figured out how to post a youtube video yet, sorry)
pamtree

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:50 pm

I'm pretty sure that they get a piper in for the plaque ceremony on Saturday morning, but I have no idea what he does to keep his healthy.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elliot » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Pamtree, please allow me to welcome you to the E-playa forum! And of course, to your first Burning Man Art Festival (soon).

Since you are new to this "little thing in the desert", I shall happily explain my comment.

Burning Man suffers from a tyrannical over-abundance of techno at nuclear-war volume-levels. Perhaps the relatively few who prefer their music that way simply wish to share out of the goodness of their hearts. (But I suspect they actually suffer from Dick-wagging Syndrome.)

Whatever the reason, we suffer under the tyranny of techno, and the Revolution is on. Amplifier cables have been cut. I prefer the more subtle approach -- I'm bringing pianos.

And I'll be listening for your bag pipes!

Oh... my 'puter has no sound card. But I'll take your word for it.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby haolegolucky » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:20 pm

This is good...this will be the first year I've been considering bringing out something.

I just got a new (used) banjo and one of my most favorite memories is waiting in D lot for the gates to open and coming across an jam session with two guitars and a banjo and a harmonica. We came across right as Old Crow Medicine Show's "Wagon Wheel" was being played.

Live instruments out there are amazing (and this comes from a serious hip hop/house head.)
haolegolucky

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Joe Buck » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:40 am

Greetings Pamtree!

Wish I still had a set of highland pipes to loan you, but I gave up on them and focused on the Uilleann pipes a long time ago. I totally understand your reasons for not bringing your pipes all the way from Scotland. If I did not make my pipes I would probably not bring them as well, they are very expensive, complicated instruments and pretty fussy, but I live on the edge of the Great Basin already (Salt Lake City) so my pipes are pretty well adjusted to the dry environment, and I'm able to repair them if anything happened, nothing has happened beyond a reed or two going bad.

Several local Uilleann pipers also play the GHPs, and I know some have delrin sets for foul; weather playing. If I can get a loaner set would you be game?

BTW, a heads up to any acoustic musicians, I have been informed that the Irish lads and lasses are bringing the Paddy Mirage pub back to the playa, http://burntheirishbar.com/ and are very interested in hosting musicians! Would be great to have an Irish session! Anyone interested please PM me and I'll post any further developments in a fresh thread as things progress!

Joe Buck
Joe Buck

Mandolin

Postby Wolfgn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:53 am

I have an old plywood mandolin that I play only on the playa. For some reason it sounds great in the desert but crap anywhere else. I have had no problems other then breaking strings which I do nayway
Wolfgn

Postby lightgraywolf » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:21 pm

Wow... I was excited to find this thread! Never thought to look for an Irish Pub on the Playa but I guess anything and everything can be found if you just look hard enough.

I play trad. Irish flute and purchased one of the M&E flutes specifically for travel; hardy enough to knock it around without fear of damaging it, and quite adequate for the average Irish seisun. There's absolutely no way I'd bring my Olwell. Wasn't planning on bringing a flute to BM but if there's other trad players to be found I'm definitely packing it now.

This will be my 2nd burn. I look forward to playing music with some of you.
lightgraywolf

Postby joya » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:31 pm

Just thought to chime in: for what it's worth, my husband is bringing his congas to the playa. I warned him about the alkaline playa dust, but we're hoping that 5 days will be okay.
Burning Man: I'm over it.
joya

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:49 pm

joya wrote:Just thought to chime in: for what it's worth, my husband is bringing his congas to the playa. I warned him about the alkaline playa dust, but we're hoping that 5 days will be okay.

Joya, there are tons of drums on the playa. Your man will be in good company.
Ugly Dougly

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks