Whats the best tent and reasonable price to get ?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Whats the best tent and reasonable price to get ?

Postby lemonade » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:44 pm

Hiya

Newbie here - looking for advice re best tent - what kind works best for the Burning Man. I've been told and seen the cheap ones will have you cooking in it during the day.

Anybody any recommendations - I am very new to camping so any tips would be gratefully appreciated - I know it will probably still need rebar - have read all the guides but anyone give me some hints on what type to buy, what works best etc

Cheers

Lemonade
Get off the cross we need the wood
lemonade

Postby Chai Guy » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:49 pm

You might want to try reading this thread titled "tents" in the Structures folder.

viewtopic.php?t=2606
Chai Guy

Postby _tears_ » Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:56 pm

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... n=24149466

I went to a camping outlet store and i found the perfect playa tent for me. I would check around. Find exactly what YOU are looking for and then hunt for pirces.

I suggest you not have mesh ventalation unless they zip. Dust finds its way in during a dust storm

Tears 2003, 2004

The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
_tears_

Postby polzicons » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:27 pm

Yea, Tears, you almost need two tents. ("Dr., I feel like a teepee and a wigwam!" --"Relax, you're too tense.") A big airy structure that provides the blessed SHADE and inside that, a smaller dust-free camper-tent. Buy your fav Dome Monster Tents but be sure to have a larger shade structure over them all or suffer the Mouse-in-a -ziplock syndrome! No regular camping tent I've ever seen is "ideal" for BRC. Inside a "screen-tent" you'll be eating dirt and in a common dome you'll be be mumified by 9 AM. The trick is to place the one inside the other. --My gift to all newbies, 4 what it's worth! :lol: -POL
-a phat desert ratt..!
polzicons

Postby _tears_ » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:10 am

I had to have two tents one for sleeping and one for my other things. too much cluster , it drives me nuts. I didnt need shade, i camp with the Lamp Lighters and we have that nice lounge with a misting system

Tears 2003, 2004

_tears_

Postby polzicons » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:49 am

Tears , Ihear you on that! :) But not everyone can get into such a fine circle thier first time out. It used to say "...if new and want to get Involved in a big way join Lampliter's Camp..." for a place to start. Not sure if they still do, maybe I just miss the page. But can't think of a better way for a newbie to get right into the thick of things!
Me, T've always wanted to join something as big as that, but can't see doing it 1/2 assed! (I need the other half for my own Camp.) Anyone wishing to become instantaneusly "involved" should not be shy! You get as you give. Check out the link to Lamp Lighters' Camp above. Peace! :-} -POL
-a phat desert ratt..!
polzicons

Postby shitmouse » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:30 am

as far as cheap big tents go, i bought two giant 15 man tents from coleman of all places. -(the dakota line). typical white trash deer killin' hut. 3 rooms.
-- shitty zippers, but stayed on the playa floor. *big* enough to provide a room for all of your "bins" of supplies. as well, that's part of holding your tent to the playa floor.... (and of course your rebar stakes...)..
note i bought 2 in a 3 year span...........

best shade structure for us was a constructed tower this year.
the building process literally knocked out 2 guys from exhaustion all week. one guy had a beer with me late in the week then passed out again... very much reached their limits on what a man can do with 9 days in the desert. -- and by all means nothing to reccommend to anyone...

*but* being about 20 feet off the playa floor was sooo much cooler, and the view was "as you can imagine", esspecially at night!

pvc, used parachutes, zip ties, and duct tape can work very well. -(and stakes for the pvc of course.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Thanks

Postby lemonade » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:55 am

Thanks guys - I'm getting the idea two tents is better than one...

A more shade you can design the better.

Anyways appreciate the input - now to go get me some shade

Cheers

Lemonade
lemonade

Postby shitmouse » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:02 pm

not two tents, that's too much over-head. just one BIG one. -(if your going to go that route).

the BEST thing you can do for yourself lemon'mang, is to have *some* sort of shade structure over yor tent. your (most likely) going to be hanging out "late-night-style" and the sun comes up earlier and hotter than you think. crazy hot and you need your sleep. BM is all about energy.

a shade over your tent will turn your frown upside down, and provide for a non-grouchy camper. -(within limits). you'll avoid the playa "easy-bake" oven -(your tent)-.
outside of rebar stakes and h2O, this would be one of the bigger things to plan to *do* for yourself. you will be stoked. trust me....
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby _tears_ » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:02 pm

I would LOVE to put shade over my tent, i am out until the sun comes up and tired by then and i dont mind sleeping in the LL lounge, but sometimes they are loud. However, i can barely put up a two pole tent ( actually i am not even sure i can yet LOL ) Is there an EASY EASY EASY not too Expensive way to put shade over my tent and wont blow away?

---Tears---

Tears 2003, 2004

_tears_

Easy Inexpensive Shade

Postby MusicVixen » Sun Apr 04, 2004 9:58 pm

_tears_ wrote:I would LOVE to put shade over my tent, i am out until the sun comes up and tired by then and i dont mind sleeping in the LL lounge, but sometimes they are loud. However, i can barely put up a two pole tent ( actually i am not even sure i can yet LOL ) Is there an EASY EASY EASY not too Expensive way to put shade over my tent and wont blow away?

---Tears---

Tears,
Just sent you a private email to your yahoo address.
MusicVixen
MusicVixen

Postby calsur » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:09 pm

One type of tent I would stay away from is the self erecting type. Very cool tents for non extreme camping. Its the type you roll out, grab the center and lift and it pops out like an umbrella.. And then at 2:00 am in a 60 mile an hour breeze decides its had enough of camping and refolds itself. It is bad when your tent attacks you.

I have had real good luck with the 10' X 9' generic dome tent I bought at Costco. Had it for 3 years now and it has stood up to some bad stuff. I think I paid about $65 for it.
calsur

re tent

Postby lemonade » Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:34 am

Thanks Calsur

I'll check out costco :-) And I'm thinking a silver reflective type tarp would be good for getting some shade over it.

Thanks a million

Sinead
lemonade

Postby funrog » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:14 pm

Don't stretch the tarp to tight as the first 'minor' wind will snap/bend the tent poles in half. Happened to me the first day. Never slept in a tippy before...he he glad I had 300ft of rope and 4 rolls of duck tape...gotta love Costco
Peace,
and always Music!
funrog

Postby Bob » Mon Apr 19, 2004 8:05 pm

I often use two tents, one family-size, canvas type, for living/sleeping, and the other a compact nylon backpacker's type for the food stash and random gear. Any tent can be made to work if properly staked around the floor & at all available mid-height guy points, and if pitched downwind from windbreaks (cars, fences, etc) around the W/SW/S sides to block the prevailing wind. Chilly morning winds come from the opposite direction.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Ditto on the double tent strategy

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:20 am

Bob wrote:I often use two tents, one family-size, canvas type, for living/sleeping, and the other a compact nylon backpacker's type for the food stash and random gear.

I do the same thing, sort of. I slept in the back of my truck w/ shell (can't beat hard walls in a dirt-storm!) and had a dome tent for my supplies, clothes, etc. This made a lovely dressing/get my shit together room that was apart from where I slept. I'm big into bedding, and can't deal with assorted debris interfering with my sleeping arrangements. This often includes sleep partners if-ya-know-what-I-mean.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
14 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
FB Group: Burning Man Porta-potties
Changing the world one asshole at a time!
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Postby cptnsulu » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:54 am

As this is going to be my 1st Burn, and after much thought, I've opted to going the ambitious route and have decided to construct my own 2V 15' diameter geodesic dome out of 3/4 EMT tubing with silvered tarps.

Is it a lot of work? Yes. Will it keep me from being blown to Oz? Yes.

It won't keep the dust from covering my stuff when I have the lower sections open for ventilation, but I'll feel safer, and it also gives me room to spread out and to have "guests" over for visits. ;)
cptnsulu

Postby Lydia Love » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:58 am

silvered tarps

just so it's not a surprise... tarps are noisy as fuck in the wind.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby cptnsulu » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:08 pm

Lydia Love wrote:
silvered tarps

just so it's not a surprise... tarps are noisy as fuck in the wind.

Yeah, I had heard that they can be noisy, but, I don't know of any other strong, relatively inexpensive alternative to cover the dome with.

It was the silvery, sun-reflecting qualities of the tarp that I found appealing.

Canvas was rather $.
And I am unsure of the durability of those "emergency blankets."

Thanks.
cptnsulu

Postby Lydia Love » Tue Apr 20, 2004 12:26 pm

And I am unsure of the durability of those "emergency blankets."

ooh... yeah. you can be sure that the durablility would be *none*.

in the tips and tricks section there's at least one thread that discusses dome coverings I do believe...

i mean... I'm sure a tarp would work fine. the noise of a tarp in the wind drives me (personally) bugfuck though.
It's all about the squirrels.
Lydia Love

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 20, 2004 3:10 pm

Definitley lot's of good advice. Shade over a tent is key. Some of my favorite things? Rebar, rebar, rope, bungee's, and zip ties. Oh, and beer.

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:09 pm

Among the advantages to having one or two old backpacking/mountaineering tents -- they can quickly be put together day or night after a long drive; pack in the car easily; gives you shelter & takes the pressure off if it takes more than a day to finish the main structure; an extra one can be loaned out to campmates or neighbors in need; much more weathertight than most ad hoc structures in case of rain; and gives you or your partner an option in case of disagreeable snoring or conflicts in sleep schedules. Easy enough to find for cheap at yard sales, REI, or used outdoors outlets.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby angelface » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:10 am

For shade last year (after not getting nearly enough sleep the year before) I bought a cheap shade structure at Target (pretty much a 10 x 10 tent with no walls), bought heavy duty tent stakes, rope, and such to tie it down, and than made walls out of old sheets that blew around freely in the wind, but kept a lot of the sun out. It survived last year with zero problems, though I wonder how it would do in really bad winds. It greatly improved how much sleep I got, which improved my whole BM experience. Under that, I just used a regular dome tent, easy to set up, but big enough to hold all my crap. It was also nice to keep my water somewhat shaded, and I even had a little porch area with a couple chairs for company.

If I can throw together a shade structure.. anyone can.
angelface

A "cheap" shade structure

Postby JustSomeGuy » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:42 pm

http://maxicon.com/Burning_Man/PVC_Structures/pvc_on_the_playa.htm

Its fairly sound and if you're really worried use 3/4 inch rebar and a hand full of guy lines. Materials run for just the structure are in the 20-40 dollar range plus your tarp.

Add in a surplus (Campmor, Sierra Trading Post, or any number of Military type stores) tent for 20 to 40 bucks and you've got a good deal.

I found a French army desert tent for 25 and a pretty cool Swedish army snow tarp for 20, both work well.

YMMV.
JustSomeGuy

Postby polzicons » Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:10 pm

Angle Face just said it all! When I advised 2 tents earlier in this thread I meant one sleeping "t"ent and a shade structure "T"ent. The Shade Tent is as tall and as wide as you can reasonably afford to make it, and by no means air-tight! In a pinch something like a car-port tent with bed sheet walls would work just fine. You sleep in your little dome tent IN THE SHADE. A regular camping tent becomes an E-Z Bake Oven at 6 AM and a death trap at high noon! Put a shade Tent or canopy above it and you can sleep in till maybe 9 and have a shady place to rest at noon. A Shade Tent won't keep out the ever-present wind blown grit, but an airtight camper-tent won't keep out the Sun...IMHO you need 2 "tents." And ANYONE can do it, it's not rocket science, I did it, too! Now how 'bout painting those bed sheet walls with extra-terrestrial panorammas? Now yer talking! -POL
-a phat desert ratt..!
polzicons

Postby Badger » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:43 pm

So,

Back to the question. If you do go with the advice and follow through with a small backpackin tent I recommend this little guy http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?productId=47774799&storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&langId=-1. Ruthlessly cool. 3+ season tent voted by 2004 Backpacker Magazine as the best tent in its class (Overall Best). Decent price, very, VERY sturdy - especially in high winds - and allows you to set up a basic tarp on the poles if the weather's too hot all the way up to an inner secondary wall that serves as a vaopr/dust barrier. Spent four days in one of these things and for the price you can't go wrong.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby angelface » Thu Apr 22, 2004 7:50 pm

REI also has an outlet store online with discontinued stuff.. I got my dome tent there for about $50 and it has survived 2 years at burning man and at least one other (very dusty, in the tent anyway) camping trip. I plan to use it again this year, as it seemed to be in fine shape at the end of last...
angelface

Postby Badger » Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:37 pm

And then there's my tent... http://www.shelter-systems.com/awarddesigns.html which has been to every burn since 92. Don't wanna say my oval intention is playa proof but, well, I've slept well every night I've ever spent on the playa with it. Unfortunately it's no longer made but its prodigy can be found here http://www.northface.com/opencms/opencms/tnf/gear.jsp?productId=58 As good a playa tent as any made IMO.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Past Tense and future Tense!

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:40 pm

I've got this design of a tent in my head and some day I'm going to sew it up. It going to be white duck canvas. The best part is the wind design built into it much like a stealt bomber. Lowest slanting faces west, second lowest faces the north, highest end on the south east with a short high slant. Very wind ergonomic. Zippered port with larger zippered windows on the east and north. Above it would be three triangled shadescreens to help lower the temps and that would be easily lowered in high wind weather.

But on the real side of life I want to get a Kirkland springbar tent.
It's the shit for Great Basin Camping! Make for desert my half virgin mormons- they never went all the way!

This one is my favorite and hope to have it $390 or the 5 man sleeper $490 above it.

http://www.kirkhams.com/tabs/canvas/campsite.html

You'll feel like a bedouin prince and princess with a nice carpet rug and inflatable mattress- Hmmm I can smell the incense burning now and the glow of candle light!

Best thing about them they are wind resistant to above 70 mph- two extra ropes crossing over but not tied to them will let them move in high wind and keep them on the ground.

But cheap way to go is on Walmart. Buy one of their cabin tents and by the time you get it back to the store it will have a tear or two in it so you can get your money back, Hey get one of those cheap inflatables and will be punctured by the weeks end so you can your money back on that too!

And Its all free on my buddies the Waltons! Love that 90 day money back guarantee! I've been doing this for the last three years and never paid a dime. Even got some refund CA Sales tax thrown in too- we're sales tax free here in Montana! He,he, he!

May you burn long and bright!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Mithra » Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:47 am

I use a cabin tent that a picked up at a discount from a local army navy store here in San Diego, it's a 10 man or so. Half of it holds my stuff half of it's for bed space, I can stand up, hang close or invite lots of people in.

It's surrouned by a 10 x 20 car port with tarps on all sides. This does a fair job of keeping the sun out, though I might downsize the tent and just use the extra space to store stuff instead of keeping it in the tent with me.

Check ebay for big cabin tents. I like them because they don't have big vents in the top like the more modern tents have. that and as there squarish they have lots of space inside.

Mithra
Mithra

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks