Newb here - SO EXCITED!!!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Newb here - SO EXCITED!!!

Postby everaftertrance » Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:28 pm

[color=darkblue]Hey all!

I'm so happy to be here posting with what makes the playa great from the sound of things. The people. :) I cannot wait to go for my first time this year. I have been reading, chatting, and learning as much as I can. My friend Danielle and I are taking a road trip from California to the event and are heaps excited. I haven't made any decisions on where to camp or anything along those lines yet, been too busy keeping an open mind and learning all I can. :) If anyone would like to chat, I'd love to hear from them. :D

AIM: EverAfterTrance

Yahoo: tiffanyanneclarice
<b>-Tiffers -</b>

<i>"The secret of the receptive must be sought in stillness; Within stillness there remains the potential for action."</i> - Zhou Xuanjing
everaftertrance

Hiya

Postby lemonade » Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:38 am

Hiya

I'm a newbie going from Bay area :-) I'm all excited as well - I am volunteering as I figure that will help me get to know people and also be involved.

Names Sinead - pleased to meet ya !

Cheers

Lemonade
Get off the cross we need the wood
lemonade

Re: Newb here - SO EXCITED!!!

Postby SlickVic » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:19 am

[quote="everaftertrance"][color=darkblue]HOlla

Hey Im also New to this as well, seeking info, from newbies and oldbies so if anyone would like to contact me my email is slickvic182@hotmail.com

]
SlickVic

Postby III » Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:48 am

>>seeking info

well, what kind of info are you looking for?

as a general hint, 90% of the stuff you need to know can be found either in the survival guide, or on the main site...
III

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:08 pm

as a general hint, 90% of the stuff you need to know can be found either in the survival guide, or on the main site...[/quote]

and the other 10% can only be found on the Playa after experiencing it first hand. read the survival guide MANY TIMES between now and August (don't wait until you start to pack). It is chocked full of knowledge gained through years of bitter experiences that you DO NOT want to repeat.

Then go to the website and explore links, look at photos, read stories, ask questions on Eplaya (be prepared for sarcasm at times). Even if you do all of this, your first year will be like nothing you imagined. Enjoy. Repeat often.

regards, Jafe
dragonfly Jafe

Postby III » Wed Apr 21, 2004 10:00 pm

>>be prepared for sarcasm at times

especially if the question is already answered on the main site.

especially especially if you've read the answer on the main site, and then come here looking for "the real scoop" because the answer on the main site is not what you wanted to hear.
III

expectations

Postby Ranger Genius » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:17 pm

Even if you do all of this, your first year will be like nothing you imagined

The veterans (literally and figuratively) who took me the first time forced me to read the entire BM site and the survival guide several times, and it prepared me pretty well for the experience (residing in a desert environment my whole life gave me an edge, too. The alkaline soil is a big surprise for a lot of people, especially from the coasts.)

After reading all the literature and a bunch of the stories, talking to people at our regional event, Burning Man was a lot like what I had imagined, except multiplied by about 10,000.

The most important advice has already been posted: It's called a Survival Guide for a good fucking reason.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:23 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote: (be prepared for sarcasm at times).
Sarcasm? On e-playa? Say it isn't so.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:26 pm

BTW, Tiffers, if you want your text to come out dark blue you have to have the[color=darkblue][/color] on either side of the selected text. [color=darkblue] like this [/color]
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks