One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby Patsh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:50 am

Just finished the third-to-last step on my 'gifties'...
all the hard work is now done, and the second-to last step will be done in the morning, before going to work.
Only 88 left from over 100, since I had to give a few away after showing them off at work.
The 'very-last-step' can even be done while I'm waiting in line for will call.

This is getting pretty exciting, since all the rest of my prep is already done! :D
Pack up the car Friday night after work, and head HOME Saturday!!!

It's about damn time...
from September to July took about three years to get here,
and from the end of July to now, I must have blinked accidentally or something,
because it just disappeared!! :shock:

I am SO ready!!! :mrgreen:

(hahaahaaa... my boss asked me today, would I please work over the Labour Day weekend. Haa Haaa Haaaaaaa!!! I don't THINK so!!) :twisted:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby Patsh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:54 am

Bexx wrote:Ohmygod.. I think I'm done! Got te Rav packed to the gills! All that is left to do.. When we get up @ 4am is put the bees on the rack.. Put the rest of the shiz on the roof... And GO!

HAHAHAHAHA!!! BEES!!!! My iPad must know where I'm going! That was supposed to be bikes!

HaHaaHaaaaaa....

Bees... Bikes.....
now, that's downright Cosmic,
for a 'Freudian' mistake!!!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture
Patsh

Postby EmilyD » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:35 am

nixiebunny wrote:Helped my lovely wife get her bike all furry. Also preparing the stereo system for it. Fixed the scary sound in the front brake in the '58 Chevy wagon which is being our transport.

Does editing the to-do list count?

Yes the list definitely counts. Nixiebunny!

Triken, yes exactly...the time between July and now **pffftt!**
EmilyD

Postby Kire » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:03 am

been sewing, organizing, coordinating, packing, charging, scrambling, and everything else I can. Basically what isn't done now isn't really getting done but thats ok, most of the stuff got done. i'm basically worthless at my job today cause I can't focus on anything so i'm making lists and plans and things.

Cutting hair (and coloring) and loading truck then off to reno to join the rest of my team tonight. so excited.
Kire

Burning Since: 2010

Postby wh..sh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:05 am

Triken wrote:Just finished the third-to-last step on my 'gifties'...
all the hard work is now done, and the second-to last step will be done in the morning, before going to work.
Only 88 left from over 100, since I had to give a few away after showing them off at work.
The 'very-last-step' can even be done while I'm waiting in line for will call.

Oh, the mystery!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:08 am

Precooking and freezing the shtakes for the M&G! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby wh..sh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:14 am

I got much done yesterday. Prepped the bike, cleaned the coolers, packed the camping gear, transported couple of "bright" burners within Reno, and finished the tutu.
Now that I am packing, things look LOT less overwhelming.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby danibel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:30 pm

wh..sh wrote:Now that I am packing, things look LOT less overwhelming.

I am still in "overwhelmed" mode, but super stoked with how the van is coming along. The futon fits perfectly and it will be a nice refuge from dust and wind. I had a new stereo installed and it connects to my iPod. Plus new fabulous speakers - so turn it up! Weeee!

Washed the card tables and coolers all out. Started ziplocking all my clothes in categories. Lists made for shopping on Sunday (every hour or so I add something to them!). School stuff finished so that was a huge relief. Working on my bike today, plus a memorial for my sister-in-law that I will hang at the temple. She died of Cancer a few years back and I just know she would have loved burning man. She was a very giving person in her life. It was just her "thing." I miss her a lot. :cry:

I'm bringing my staple gun and lots of extra staples to the temple to help people hang things.

OK. Back to my sewing projects.... ugh.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby wh..sh » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:15 pm

Danibel - you are doing so much better than I am. I am yet to pack clothes and food. Two main things!
And on top of that, I have my assignments to finish and classes to attend before I get to playa :(

Sigh... Sorry about your sister-in-law. Your gift to her is all the wonderful thoughts you have about her. They live on, in our memory.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby danibel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:31 pm

wh..sh wrote:Danibel - you are doing so much better than I am. I am yet to pack clothes and food. Two main things!
And on top of that, I have my assignments to finish and classes to attend before I get to playa :(

Sigh... Sorry about your sister-in-law. Your gift to her is all the wonderful thoughts you have about her. They live on, in our memory.

Clothes are the main thing that is almost finished, well besides the van. I still have some of my defaultia clothes to launder and pack, but that is OK. Food is a whole 'nother story. That is Sunday/Monday thing. Shopping Sunday, preparing/packing Monday.

I also have to go to class on Monday night. We are leaving for Reno immediately after. Prolly roll in around 3am and crash for a few hours, but that is OK because we will hit the playa Tuesday afternoon.

Carrie was a very special person and I cry still when I think about her. She was taken far too soon from us. Hug the people you love. Tell them that you love them. Our time is short. Live, Love, and Laugh.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby EmilyD » Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:40 pm

((((((((((((((danibel)))))))))) The Temple is a perfect place to leave memories and share blessings. Sounds like your sister-in-law was well loved.

Today I switched gears to packing...OMG the PACKING! I also had to redo half the insulation along one wall of our popup.

Water costume #8 remains unfinished but the only thing that relieves my stress right now is getting some shit packed! Happily I was able to stow most of our dry foodstuffs into the trailer's minimal storage space. That means if there's a white out, at least we won't starve! ;-)

More packing, organizing, and hopefully some sewing before we head to Reno on Monday. I know, I'll be one of the last ones here on the boards.

Hmmm what do you suppose it means that almost all my friends are located on the right side of the Burner Map?
EmilyD

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:11 pm

It's where all the cool kids hang out! :wink:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby danibel » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:40 pm

EmilyD wrote:((((((((((((((danibel)))))))))) The Temple is a perfect place to leave memories and share blessings. Sounds like your sister-in-law was well loved.

Happily I was able to stow most of our dry foodstuffs into the trailer's minimal storage space. That means if there's a white out, at least we won't starve! ;-)

Aw. Thank you for the hugs. My sister and I had a nice cry while we worked on the collage. It came out really well.

One reason I am so happy about the van is that I am setting it up to be livable during a white out. My sweetie found a battery operated fan that can be used in the mornings and in the event we have to spend hours in the van. A little sanctuary. :D

/danibel makes note to have snacks and small cooler in van to avoid starvation.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby SquirrelHead » Fri Aug 24, 2012 8:55 pm

Tie dye is done. I need more practice but it will work. Now to finish packing and a little more sewing. :?
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
dirty little reclaimed BURGIN. Ruining Burning Man since 2012.
SquirrelHead

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:39 pm

Bike successfully connected with bike transport. Tomorrow, I'm on the train!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby lazerfox » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:10 am

our tie dye is also done...and so is my robe!!

***happy dance***
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby yurtgirl » Sat Aug 25, 2012 6:25 am

Finished packing last night, yeah! Ended up with 3 bgs to check but there's no way one can fly to BM with camping eqpt and a couple flashy coats for night time all in just 2 bags, what was I thinking. today we fly to Reno, tomorrow hit Walmart and pick up the other camping goods and bikes I ordered, then off to da playa on Monday morning. Man, i hope i didn't forget anything.

oh, yeah, finished all the pendants for gifting yeah!! I cut sticks into little coin sized rounds and used my wood burning tool to make little Burning Man symbols on them and then used hemp cord for a necklace. Simple but i like them. I also bought some little glass jars to put some dust in it for folks to take some of the playa home with them. Im hoping I can find Goathead and let him burn some of the dust into little black balls for my little jar. That would be cool.

well folks, prolly the last time i'm on here today so, Stop by the World's Most Exciting Climate Camp for some fresh, organic fruits and veggies. 3 & J.
SEE Y'ALL IN THE DUST!
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch
yurtgirl

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:54 am

Just picked up the dry ice.

75 pounds for $30!!! WOOT

$75 cheaper than the grocery store. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby EmilyD » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:57 pm

Yay to tie dye finished Lazerfox & Squirrelhead!

Safe travels yurtgirl & BoyScoutGirl!

Figjam...how do you pack your cooler using the dry ice? I'm still trying to decide if I need to do it for what I'm bringing.

Yesterday and today were/are big organizing days and it feels SO GOOD to finally be packing! I'm currently re-purpling my hair and helping the Mr. pack his stuff. It's really tough for him to decide such things and I'm happy to help.
EmilyD

Postby wh..sh » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Finished most of my shopping for food! Now it's all about packing.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby EmilyD » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:42 pm

wh..sh wrote:Finished most of my shopping for food! Now it's all about packing.

YES IT IS!!! OMG, whew I'm beat. It took us two days but we're packed (except for kit bags and stuff for the drive.) I still have several hours to finish the final water costume though I'd rather take a nap!

Who's Still HERE?
EmilyD

Postby wh..sh » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:37 pm

Me! me! :)

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby EmilyD » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:43 pm

wh..sh wrote:Me! me! :)

LOL I guess we're it...that is...until

BLASTOFF!!! see you in the dust!
EmilyD

Postby wh..sh » Sun Aug 26, 2012 8:45 pm

Wednesday...

See you too, Emily! Have a safe trip.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby danibel » Sun Aug 26, 2012 9:39 pm

Me! I did my grocery shopping today. Tomorrow I am working on food prep and finishing packing the van. I woke up this morning at 6am and could not fal back asleep, though I really wanted to. I am just too excited.

I have two classes to attend tomorrow so I don't get cut and then we take off for Reno! Weeeeeee!
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby Oldguy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:23 am

33 dollar roundtrip bus ticket, 10 dollar super supreme pizza, blowing your car up on the way to Burningman... priceless.

My little Geo died today at 10 am outside Oroville. CHP gave me a fix-it ticket, I was able to limp it into a chevy dealership after stopping at a Wallyworld lot to let it cool down. Had to wait 8 hours for the southbound Grayhound. Smokin'....!

I tried walking the 10 miles from Marysville to my home...did not make it...crisis breakdown after 2 hours hiking...bad legs, bad heart...called ca+regiver, left muddled message...called mental health crisis line, asked for help...crying...

caregiver found me on side of road, took me home 12:16 am ... shit, I'm not going to get there tomorrow, need to find a way to get me and my stuff to the Playa. Mechanic to look at thermostat, electric fan ( no belt ), electrical... wobbly right rear tire... I'm supposed to call back at 10 am Monday, to check on the problem and damage $... FRAK ! :cry:
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby danibel » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:33 am

Sorry to hear about your car troubles Oldguy. Super major bummer. :(
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby wh..sh » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:34 am

Eekkks oldguy! Take care of yourself.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Oldguy » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:20 pm

Good news from mechanic, sort of. Waterpump was bad, putting out steam which was burning off crud and oil from outside engine. So no smoke, just steam. Wobbly rear wheel was bent wheel. Replaced with spare tire and wheel, fixed. Mechanic thought it best to replace pump, seals, thermostat, and rubber boots. Tune-up replacing plugs, wires, and hoses. Might be done Wednesday, but I doubt it. It is possible I might make on Thursday or Friday, but I am not risking pulling my trailer all that way...Mechanic said my hitch was not designed for the load I was packing... I was living on borrowed time, and time wore out... :roll:
Image current moon

"Opportunity is missed by most people
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
-Thomas Alva Edison
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Dogpatch

Postby Sail Man » Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:58 pm

Dammit OG, hope you can get the car fixed and make it in for the last few days at the least. Sending you good karma buddy :)
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks