One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:38 am

EmilyD wrote:DAB, I'm sure it'll be a huge relief to get your gear enroute.

It sure will . At this point I just need to tape the boxes shut and enter them in the UPS manifest for pickup this afternoon.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby lazerfox » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 am

EmilyD wrote:one shave before I leave home works well enough for me. (Not that anyone asked lol.)

if only I were so lucky...(also not that anyone asked lol. :P )
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby tattoogoddess » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:26 am

I mostly sweed, but i also have german and irish and native american.... i was not blessed with the sweed hair so i have to shave or i look like this

maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012

Postby stinkyfoot » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:47 am

tattoogoddess wrote:I mostly sweed, but i also have german and irish and native american.... i was not blessed with the sweed hair so i have to shave or i look like this

I have Japanese American body hair. Pale skin, sparse dark black hair. If I could grow a rich pelt I totally would. I have to shave because if I don't, my entire body looks like Keanu Reeves' splotchy beard.

stinkyfoot

Postby Bob » Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:55 am

My Swedish ex didn't shave but still felt the need to bleach.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby AntiM » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:52 pm

The hair on my arms and face is pale golden blonde, visible only when coated in playa dust. My leg hair is somewhat darker, but grows slowly. I wish I'd gotten mom's legs, hairless and smooth as if lasered. She never shaved her legs ever. At least mine grows slowly.

I forgot to shave my legs one year, by the end of the week, each hair would stand up straight covered in dust. I'd clean it off and it would be right back on ... static electricity on the playa does funny stuff.

NTS: SHAVE before you go.

Printed out our passes, still painting, making and remaking frozen food decisions.
Read Me!! Ticket Sellers and Seekers!

Really, read the damn sticky posts.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Foxfur » Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:36 pm

I fully cleaned out the storage closet in the trailer for the first time since the burn last year. I finally found all those clothes I was missing...
Found 2 packs of Hell Bank Notes (ancestor worship shrine money) as well! The folks at the Viet-Thai store where I bought 'em looked at me funny 'til I told 'em I was going to give them as gifts to people at Burning Man. Then they looked at me even funnier. :lol:
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Camp Foxfur @ 2:45 & C

Postby Oldguy » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:02 pm

I signed up with the county for another year of mental health services. Got a few groceries and engine coolent. Got my car's oil and filter changed. On the drive home she started smoking, I think they spilled some oil, I hope so...

I cooked 2 turkeys this morning, both 16 pounders. Just finished boiling up giblets and necks before browning. Picked up a jar of Kosher Dill Garlic Pickles and a couple slabs of bacon. Bags stacked in living room, my practice camp goes up tomorrow. I'll pack it up next week before departure. Since I'm hauling my gas buggy I need to refine my load, cutting non-used extras.

I filled up a 5 gal. and a 2 1/2 gal. can of gas for $27.00. jeeze... Check your plastic cans for cracks, you do not want gas leaking over everything. Luckily, I had extra. :o
Image current moon
A starving man will eat with the wolf.
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005

Postby geospyder » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:39 pm

@oldguy - check your messages...
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Burning Since: 2017

Postby danibel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Tonight I am sorting and going through all my playa clothes and seeing which items must make the trip home. I figure if I have taken it in the past three years and never wore it, it can stay in defaultia. I am bit concerned that I don't have enough night clothes that are warm, comfy, and costumey. I should probably hit up Ratty's thread about "starting with what you have," to see if I have anything that can be easily modified.

I have two big coats so I am good there, I just need some snazzy layers.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:43 pm

Finished all my gifts.

Finished 5 pieces for AntiM's home for wayward art. Camping about 80 feet away so they should actually make it there this year.

Picked up some blank tees for stenciling / dying at the burn.

Packed and shipped out 212 pounds of crap for the burn.

Heaved a sigh of relief, all that remains is packing clothes - in 7 days I'll be in the dust.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby VultureChow » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:47 am

Deep breath. Boxes off to Reno UPS ground. With 24 hours leeway in case something gets lost. Yay.

Shipped an extra box. Got nervous as I was packing up my first full suitcase and not fitting as much as I thought. Both coats finished last night and shipped.
FREE THE STRIPPERS!
VultureChow

Camp Name: Camp Hooker @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Foxfur » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:52 am

Drawingablank wrote:Finished all my gifts.

Finished 5 pieces for AntiM's home for wayward art. Camping about 80 feet away so they should actually make it there this year.

Heaved a sigh of relief, all that remains is packing clothes - in 7 days I'll be in the dust.

I'm just dyeing to stencil!!!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:06 am

Foxfur wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:Finished all my gifts.

I'm just dyeing to stencil!!!

Thats why I'm bringing them - that potentially fatal stencil is awesome.

Drawingablank

Postby Oldguy » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:37 am

My doctor said my pressure was 117/77 . My meds are working and I do not have to go back for 3 months. Yay, I am good to go... Whoo-Hoo !
Image current moon
A starving man will eat with the wolf.
Oldguy

Burning Since: 2005

Postby Milayna » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 am

It's been a lonnnng time since I posted, bc after losing in the lottery and having to quit my job for a family emergency I thought for sure I wouldn't make it to the playa this year. But HURRAHHH I got a ticket, and now it's a MAD rush to get the things I did not buy earlier this year (luckily I have all the big things) and get organized and packed!!!!

Today is researching local garage sales for tomorrow, catching up on the bajillions of eplaya threads I've missed, and patching and sealing the seams in my tent.

:D :D :D Excited!!!!!!!
Milayna

Postby FeetOfClay » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:13 am

FINALLY packed all my clothes (or about 90% of them) tightly and neatly into my suitcase--I ROCK!!!

Used large ziploc bags to organize the clothes, squeeze out excess air, prevent dust, and make outfit planning easy. Actually fit WAY more stuff in the suitcase once in the bags with air squeezed out!

even passing up packing some of the less-stellar costumes i made in favor of utilitarian, comfy, dust-storm type gear. don't get me wrong, still got a ton of costumes, but i am being practical with what i choose to bring.

still gotta pack a couple dresses, bras and panties, and an accessory or two. whittled my toiletries down to essentials. reinforced the zipper handles on my suitcases.
i feel so much more prepared now that clothes are basically done.
bedding: done, clothes: done, toiletries: done, maps/confirmation numbers/papers/tickets: done, batteries/lights/first aid: done
What is this quintessence of dust?
FeetOfClay

Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:14 am

Well, it sounds like it's been a stressful year. I don't know if you'll find the playa ... relaxing... per se, but it sounds like a well deserved break.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Fufa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:31 am

Hit up the dollarstore and hardware store last night. For $6 I got a water spritzer, 3 white board markers, a bag of zipties, a roll of red ribbon to cover up a skirt hem, a 30 pack of plastic shot glasses, and a length of thin braided utility cord for tying up things that are too big for zip ties, but weak enough to be held by bits of string.

Got some solar powered hanging garden lights for $2 a piece, testing them out today before I decide whether to buy more. Got two each of a sun, dragonfly, and flower. I will tie them to my shade entrance if they work well.

90% completed making a cooler cozie out of those car sun reflectors, when I ran out of duct tape. Will finish it tonight!
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby Foxfur » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:43 pm

Milayna wrote:It's been a lonnnng time since I posted, bc after losing in the lottery and having to quit my job for a family emergency I thought for sure I wouldn't make it to the playa this year. But HURRAHHH I got a ticket, and now it's a MAD rush to get the things I did not buy earlier this year (luckily I have all the big things) and get organized and packed!!!!

Today is researching local garage sales for tomorrow, catching up on the bajillions of eplaya threads I've missed, and patching and sealing the seams in my tent.

:D :D :D Excited!!!!!!!

That's WONDERFUL!
Welcome back and a big congratulations to you :D

Went to Harbor Freight and only spent $25! Must be an a record.
Got some electrostatic register filters at Ace hdwe to cut circular filters from for my respirator.
Visited my furdresser for a furcut. She's all excited for me re: the burn. I love her!

When I went to our post office box they had a package for me.
It came from our very own Wh..sh!

Hello Foxfur.jpg

Sweetpea loves it even more than I do...

Thank you so much, dear!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby maladroit » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:00 pm

I bet that tape felt good while removing it from your beard.
maladroit

Postby Foxfur » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:20 pm

Mmmm, oh god yes :shock:
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:35 pm

Just made refill filters for my respirator. I got 3 from each sheet and used three in each filter housing.
Tomorrow I'm gonna take a trash bag, drop a teaspoon of playa dust in it, stick my head in it, and jump on the trampoline for a bit.
I'll keep you updated...

DIY Respirator Filters.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby Fufa » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:46 pm

I picked up American money at the bank today. I'll never get used to how boring your bills are. :P
Fufa

Burning Since: 2010

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:53 pm

Why do you think most Americans sleep on the job... It's the boring money. It's also how we get wacky economic theories--trying to make the money exciting...

Have you talked to Dadura?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:46 pm

:D Foxfur, I am glad you are putting it to good use. And say hi to Sweetpea!
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Foxfur » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:57 pm

Fufa wrote:I picked up American money at the bank today. I'll never get used to how boring your bills are. :P

I LOVE your currency. It's so, current.
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby Foxfur » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:01 pm

wh..sh wrote::D Foxfur, I am glad you are putting it to good use. And say hi to Sweetpea!

She sends her love and thanks. She's cutting out the individual Kittys and they're everywhere now :lol:
I've got a big ol' foxy hug for ye!
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Postby wh..sh » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Foxfur wrote:
wh..sh wrote::D Foxfur, I am glad you are putting it to good use. And say hi to Sweetpea!

She sends her love and thanks. She's cutting out the individual Kittys and they're everywhere now :lol:
I've got a big ol' foxy hug for ye!

:) You both made my day! I will take all the foxy hugs I can get.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby yurtgirl » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:21 pm

Sewed on a big blue butterfly shape from el wire on the back of my white jean jacket for my night time travels. So, if out on the playa, you see a blinking blue butterfly just flutter by and say hi!
There are 2 dates on your tombstone and all you're friends will read 'em, but the only thing that matters is that little dash between 'em. - Kevin Welch
yurtgirl

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks