A gift for the Playa

THIS YEARS POSTERS

2015 posters
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Re: One Item for BM a Day

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:20 am

melodiousdirge wrote:Discovered this weekend that the transfer of ownership paperwork was not done correctly for my playa trailer. The person I bought it from lives 4 hours drive distant, is not certain she even has the trailer registered in her name, and is leaving for a 2 week vacation in 4 days. Getting this mess figured out I'm sure will be the object of my obsession and high blood pressure for the next few days. Hoping it ends with a sigh of relief and not a panicky plan B :roll:

AIEEE! Well, you still have enough time I'm sure. Fingers crossed for your pending sigh of relief!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!
EmilyD

Burning Since: 2010

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Started buying food, (less than first time - bought 2X more than we needed). Focusing on beverages and salty snax, will de-package before packing in bin. I will again pre-cook some nitrate-free bacon. OMG that shit is too good!
EmilyD

Postby danibel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:10 pm

I spent 45 minutes in TJ's today. Looking at nuts and snacks. Trying to figure out my food list. My sweetie, would simply take a few boxes of cereal, dried fruit, fizzy water and a gallon of milk, and call it a day. I on the other hand, need fresh veggies and such. The boxed soups and "tasty bites" look like good items. Also some bagged veggies. My main concern is - do I buy here in SC on Monday before leaving town, or do I wait to get to Reno and chance sold out items?
In dust we trust.
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby Minxy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:21 pm

danibel wrote:I spent 45 minutes in TJ's today. Looking at nuts and snacks. Trying to figure out my food list. My sweetie, would simply take a few boxes of cereal, dried fruit, fizzy water and a gallon of milk, and call it a day. I on the other hand, need fresh veggies and such. The boxed soups and "tasty bites" look like good items. Also some bagged veggies. My main concern is - do I buy here in SC on Monday before leaving town, or do I wait to get to Reno and chance sold out items?

I'm always getting anxious when playa prepping so I personally prefer to get everything done when I can and not wait till the last minute. YMMV of course. I like to "nest" and pack everything away; it's like when I was pregnant and I kept folding and refolding all the baby clothes. :D Might be weird, but that's me.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:23 pm

MAN I LOVE that trailer! Never seen one like it. We do already have a toaster at ArtCar Camp but I'm sure the Playa can handle more than one.

This one, (done on a car instead of a trailer) was at the Seattle ArtCar Blow Out this year:

@EmilyD Ooh, I didn't know you were local-ish. =) I don't know hardly anyone around here most of my "people" are up in Portland. I haven't even bothered with costumey stuff this year, completely not in that mode. Maybe next year.

Yes, I'm nearby and there are a bunch of really talented, friendly, folks living in Vallejo. There is a local open studio event (November) and also a parade in Dec.) It's becoming a town where artists can actually buy a house in the Bay Area!

Image[/quote]
EmilyD

Postby danibel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:26 pm

Minxy wrote:
danibel wrote:I spent 45 minutes in TJ's today. Looking at nuts and snacks. Trying to figure out my food list. My sweetie, would simply take a few boxes of cereal, dried fruit, fizzy water and a gallon of milk, and call it a day. I on the other hand, need fresh veggies and such. The boxed soups and "tasty bites" look like good items. Also some bagged veggies. My main concern is - do I buy here in SC on Monday before leaving town, or do I wait to get to Reno and chance sold out items?

I'm always getting anxious when playa prepping so I personally prefer to get everything done when I can and not wait till the last minute. YMMV of course. I like to "nest" and pack everything away; it's like when I was pregnant and I kept folding and refolding all the baby clothes. :D Might be weird, but that's me.

Yeah. I do like to have it "all done" as well. My main concern is the freshies. Maybe a day or two more won't matter much, then again, maybe it will. I am definitely buying all my water in Reno. Keystone has an excellent system and we had our choice of containers, even as late as Wednesday last year.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:29 pm

Regarding food: I have to figure out a way to make tacos for our camp on Friday when I'm coming in on Tuesday. That's a good long period to try and keep meat and veges fresh. Maybe I should sign up for an earlier dinner. Any tips (aside from leaving out the meat...not an option.)
EmilyD

Postby danibel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:46 pm

EmilyD wrote:Regarding food: I have to figure out a way to make tacos for our camp on Friday when I'm coming in on Tuesday. That's a good long period to try and keep meat and veges fresh. Maybe I should sign up for an earlier dinner. Any tips (aside from leaving out the meat...not an option.)

One of my favorite veggie taco toppings:

Take a head of cabbage (should do OK out there till Thursday if kept cool in shade) - slice into small shreds, squeeze an entire lemon over it, add chopped cilantro (also should be OK if washed, dried, and zip locked till Thursday, or chop and freeze ahead), and mix in a small can of sliced jalapenos. Put all in a big zip lock (maybe doubled if you worry about leakage), let sit for a day. Next day squeeze another whole lemon over it all and place in bowl for taco topppings. Better than dealing with wilting lettuce.

In terms of the meat - I would make it up ahead of time and freeze. Keep it on ice (dry ice?) and reheat to serve.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby EmilyD » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:50 pm

danibel wrote:
EmilyD wrote:Regarding food: I have to figure out a way to make tacos for our camp on Friday when I'm coming in on Tuesday. That's a good long period to try and keep meat and veges fresh. Maybe I should sign up for an earlier dinner. Any tips (aside from leaving out the meat...not an option.)

One of my favorite veggie taco toppings:

Take a head of cabbage (should do OK out there till Thursday if kept cool in shade) - slice into small shreds, squeeze an entire lemon over it, add chopped cilantro (also should be OK if washed, dried, and zip locked till Thursday, or chop and freeze ahead), and mix in a small can of sliced jalapenos. Put all in a big zip lock (maybe doubled if you worry about leakage), let sit for a day. Next day squeeze another whole lemon over it all and place in bowl for taco topppings. Better than dealing with wilting lettuce.

In terms of the meat - I would make it up ahead of time and freeze. Keep it on ice (dry ice?) and reheat to serve.

Damn that sounds good danibel! Sort of like El Salvadoran cole slaw. Yes, cabbage will last much longer than lettuce. We will be having some dry ice at camp I just heard. Cooking the meat in advance is good, thanks for these tips!
EmilyD

Postby VultureChow » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:54 pm

I also vote cabbage instead of lettuce. Holds up much better to heat. Can the meat be chicken instead of beef? You could use canned chicken breast. And just heat with some sauce. Canned chipotle chiles in adobo would work well with the chicken. Or a southwestern canned soup. Add a ton of chicken breast to that and simmer. It will be like a shredded chicken dish.

Rice and beans to fill out the tacos so you don't need as much meat.
I should change my sig line.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby danibel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:56 pm

Oh! I should have said - let sit in cooler for a day! You probably wouldn't leave it out, but that is important. At home I just put it in a big glass bowl and cover it in the fridge.

I know it might not be the best, but I would go with premade salsa as well. I don't think tomatoes do very well out there.
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby danibel » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:59 pm

VultureChow wrote:
Rice and beans to fill out the tacos so you don't need as much meat.

Oh yes! I think this is a good idea. Tacos: some meat, rice, beans, cabbage mix, a container of sour cream, grated cheese - bueno! I think Savannah may have some tips on keeping your tortillas fresh until needed. I wouldn't fry them though - just warm on a cast iron and toss in a "keeper."

Mmmm. I want tacos now!
In dust we trust.
danibel

Postby FIGJAM » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:07 pm

I would use lime instead just cause I like lime.

Good canned roast beef makes great shredded beef tacos.

I would use the ready made shells if you can store them where they won't get broken, and if they do, make taco salad. 8)

How many are you cooking for?

I would plan on 3 apiece.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Minxy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:10 pm

danibel wrote:Yeah. I do like to have it "all done" as well. My main concern is the freshies. Maybe a day or two more won't matter much, then again, maybe it will. I am definitely buying all my water in Reno. Keystone has an excellent system and we had our choice of containers, even as late as Wednesday last year.

Ohhh, ya, well the fresh stuff I do always buy at the last minute. Usually in Reno. No point in carting that around and letting it go bad ahead of time, IMO. :D

I LOVE the cabbage idea, I'd never thought about that. I'll definitely use that this year. Thanks guys.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby skippy3k » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:51 am

My BM item for the day consisted of the yearly "spirited discussion" with my wife of who is actually doing what and when it will be done. Fueled, of course, from silly yet normal pre-BM nervousness with a dash of stress. Luckily, this task only happens once a year then it's nothing but fun the rest of the way.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.
skippy3k

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:01 am

Finished a faux leopard print loincloth to match the vest. Sadly I don't have the build for wearing it.

Started cutting fabric for my next batch of neck coolers.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby tahiti_treat » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 am

Accomplished this past week:

Bought good lip balm, the stuff I don't ever need at home and desperately wanted on the playa last year. Lip Smackers didn't cut it, oh hell no.

Bought some dry shampoo to try out.

Finished sewing lights into the collar of my playa coat. Decided the cuffs need lights too.

Tried some more packaged Indian dinners. Both brands of paneer are the big winners so far. Also like Uncle Ben's Bistro Express Indian Style Curry with Basmati Rice. Tested cooking one on the dashboard with great success.

Bought a kick-ass steampunky-looking leather vest and real felt cowboy hat from the Sally Ann. Fended off husband from stealing them for his own.

Oh! I almost forgot the biggest one. Made peace with certain things, realized (again) that I can't control everything that happens, and let go of a lot of anxiety regarding this year's burn. Had to do that last year too, I suspect it will be something I need to realize again and again, forever.
tahiti_treat

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:43 am

tahiti_treat wrote:Oh! I almost forgot the biggest one. Made peace with certain things, realized (again) that I can't control everything that happens, and let go of a lot of anxiety regarding this year's burn. Had to do that last year too, I suspect it will be something I need to realize again and again, forever.

I love this one, just sorta . . . coming in at the end there. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:00 pm

Got my Go Girl pee funnel. It is soft and squishy.. and so am I. This is going to take some practice.
Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:08 pm

$1 day at the thrift shop!
- Silk sheet.
- Gold cotton tablecloth (bonus: embroidered with Fertility 2.0-compliant grapes, gourds, etc.) to make into a hammock. Hopefully it's long enough - gotta test it out.
- Linen wall hanging that I was going to use to partition off "me space" in the box truck but now that I look at it again, it's probably going to become a cloak - thanks, Ratty, for helping me see everything as super-hero apparel!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:24 pm

Received: 100 bacon bumperstickers. A good day for packages.
AntiM

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:45 pm

AntiM wrote:Got my Go Girl pee funnel. It is soft and squishy.. and so am I. This is going to take some practice.

Argh, the squishy ones are tricky!

I'm going to pick up a $3 automotive funnel (some of them bear structural similarities to the Freshette) and try one of those. Delle swears they work.

Savannah

Postby AntiM » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:00 pm

I used the bog truck funnel (because that was all we could fine in the truckstop). It has a flexible hose, the accordian style, so the pee caught in all the little ridges.

I have time to order a rigid funnel. Heck, a kitchen funnel might work.

Don't get old, everything droops. Everything.
AntiM

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Despite your recommendation, I'll just have to make my peace with getting old. Beats the alternative. :D

The reason the automotive funnels (apparently) work is because the right ones are oval, rather than round, and they're rigid. Oh, and they're ridiculously cheap!

Savannah

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:39 pm

EmilyD

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Oo, organic bacon . . .

(I already like their organic beef hot dogs.)

Savannah

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Savannah wrote:Oo, organic bacon . . .

(I already like their organic beef hot dogs.)

Yes, their meats are really good and I appreciate the non-nitrate curing. You CAN eat bacon and not ingest a bunch of chemicals!
EmilyD

Postby EmilyD » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:58 pm

Great taco ideas everyone, thanks! I'm probably going to use ground turkey, pre-cooked and frozen for the carnivores. Everyone will get grilled veges (if I buy in Reno on Tuesday, and keep chilled, they should still be alive by Friday night. I'm figuring on soft tacos, they're easier and take up less space than those shell keeper packages for the crispy ones. They're ready to use right out of the package both corn and flour but if I'm feeling fancy...I could toss them in a pan to warm them. It depends on if it's 20 people or 40. I'll also serve with vege refried black beans, and yes danibel, pre-made salsa for sure. It'll be just fine. Add in your lovely cabbage recipe and I think my camp mates will be very pleased.

The bacon...I learned to pre-cook on a rack in the oven. That leaves most of the grease here at home. Then I pack and freeze the bacon and when it's time to cook, just fry it up quickly on site. OMG it was pure salt heaven last time! Some of my other salty favorites: Almond stuffed olives, Kalmata olive tapanade, and Duffy Family clam dip:

1 package of cream cheese (or soft goat cheese) mixed with
all the clams and about 1/2 the juice of a can of minced or chopped clams.
Eat with wheat crackers = unbelievably good (and I don't even care much for clams.)
EmilyD

Postby melodiousdirge » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Weird, Thought I posted this already. Musta glitched.

1) I think I have a workaround for my playa trailer registration issue. I REALLY HOPE I have a workaround - will find out I guess.

2) Got some snazzy playa eyewear in the mail:

3) Got some blinkies for my trike and stuck 'em on:

4) Got my swamp cooler pads and rigged that up.

5) Got my Sturmey Archer 5 speed conversion kit for the playa trike. Sweeeet!

'Snark' is just another way of saying you're an asshole.
melodiousdirge

Burning Since: 2011

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks