One Item for BM a Day (2010-2012)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby Edana » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:26 pm

Ow! Ow, ow, ow. I'd go for hairy before I'd do that.

I'm trying to convince myself that I can do it - I've had tattoos, piercings in, um, delicate spots, I give myself mutiple daily injections (prescription), I've had two kids - I can do this right? Right?
Edana

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Edana wrote:I'm trying to convince myself that I can do it - I've had tattoos, piercings in, um, delicate spots, I give myself mutiple daily injections (prescription), I've had two kids - I can do this right? Right?

Um, HECK yeah! What's a little (a LOT?) of pain between friends. You have fun with that, now. :shock:
Bling

Postby plumblove » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:35 pm

Started Mutant Vehicle in Oct (!) Work on it just about every day. Anlway. Always looking for fun lights.
plumblove

Postby AntiM » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:17 am

Bling wrote:Ow! Ow, ow, ow. I'd go for hairy before I'd do that. :P

LOL, I shave my legs when I remember. So that's what? Six times a year? Ah, the joys of light leg hair. I do shave before the playa, one year I forgot and I had little playa dust coated hairs standing straight up on my legs. Weird.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:30 am

Bling wrote:Ow! Ow, ow, ow. I'd go for hairy before I'd do that. :P

Obviously a person of sense.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:31 am

My legs are very closely shaven.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby Bling » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:32 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Obviously a person of sense.
:D

Didn't end up making my template last night--too much to do, and I need a certain type of cardboard. But today I ordered a girl pee funnel (SheWee) and some way cool metallic mineral eye shadows from eBay ($11 for 20 colors, incl. S/H!)
Bling

Postby LittleJack » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:59 pm

I'm *SO* glad it's not just me who's prepping for BM 6+ months out! Lessee, so far in February:
  • Gave away on Freecycle the carpet I used in my PVC Quonset Hut last year. Way too heavy to deal with.
  • Purchased a canvas drop cloth to use as a floor in my new hut, will grommet it later on for 10" nails.
  • Upgraded my PVC quonset hut (http://maxicon.com/Burning_Man/PVC_Structures/pvc_on_the_playa.htm) to a full on Monkey Hut (http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/). This entailed buying PVC connectors and buying, cutting and sanding 1.25" PVC bits. I just layed out the spine with the connectors and bungie cords, and measured it. It's 6" longer than my tarp, which is perfect! YAY Monkey Hut! Last year my PVC shelter needed some emergency surgery, which luckily I was able to do. Monkey Hut looks way sturdier.
  • Acquired a shemagh. Not sure I'll use it, though.
  • Picked up 100 feet each of gray (invisible) and bright orange (visible until dust coated) 550 Paracord.
  • Ordered a pair of Fire Poi and a set of flaming Devil Sticks.
  • Taking a class on Poi swinging and fire safety at the Crucible.
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby Bling » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:01 pm

6 months out? Nah, more like 8. 8)
Bling

Postby LittleJack » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:02 pm

Bling wrote:Didn't end up making my template last night--too much to do, and I need a certain type of cardboard. But today I ordered a girl pee funnel (SheWee) and some way cool metallic mineral eye shadows from eBay ($11 for 20 colors, incl. S/H!)

Don't forget about Pee Funnel Camp!
They give away thousands (?) of pee funnels.
LittleJack

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Postby Victorian » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:05 pm

LittleJack wrote:I'm *SO* glad it's not just me who's prepping for BM 6+ months out! Lessee, so far in February:
  • Gave away on Freecycle the carpet I used in my PVC Quonset Hut last year. Way too heavy to deal with.
  • Purchased a canvas drop cloth to use as a floor in my new hut, will grommet it later on for 10" nails.
  • Upgraded my PVC quonset hut (http://maxicon.com/Burning_Man/PVC_Structures/pvc_on_the_playa.htm) to a full on Monkey Hut (http://www.chromatest.net/Lovemonkey/). This entailed buying PVC connectors and buying, cutting and sanding 1.25" PVC bits. I just layed out the spine with the connectors and bungie cords, and measured it. It's 6" longer than my tarp, which is perfect! YAY Monkey Hut! Last year my PVC shelter needed some emergency surgery, which luckily I was able to do. Monkey Hut looks way sturdier.
  • Acquired a shemagh. Not sure I'll use it, though.
  • Picked up 100 feet each of gray (invisible) and bright orange (visible until dust coated) 550 Paracord.
  • Ordered a pair of Fire Poi and a set of flaming Devil Sticks.
  • Taking a class on Poi swinging and fire safety at the Crucible.

LittleJack, love your website from Chromatest. He is a friend of mine! I love his DJing skills, attend Pheonix AZ events for it, for sure... haha!
Victorian

Postby Victorian » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:12 pm

Well, Didn't get to organize the spare room yesterday... But today I:

*Cashed in my tax return into my bank account (be purchasing ticket and stuffs later this week)
*Got a bike pump from the boss lady to re-air tires on bike, will decorate and test my bike I purchased last month from a garage sale. I need to practice my riding skills!
*Surf the E-playa at work, of course!
*Browsing currently for : Scarfs, Goggles, and storage bins/organizing stuffs
Victorian

Postby Bling » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:57 pm

LittleJack wrote:Don't forget about Pee Funnel Camp!

There seriously is a Pee Funnel Camp? Awesome! If mine accidentally falls into the porta potty (which would be VERY, VERY bad, I know, I'll be careful), I'll know where to go!

I just found out that American Science & Surplus has a bricks & mortar store nearby! Woohoo!! Field trip on Sunday.
Bling

Postby motskyroonmatick » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Bling wrote:
LittleJack wrote:Don't forget about Pee Funnel Camp!

There seriously is a Pee Funnel Camp? Awesome! If mine accidentally falls into the porta potty (which would be VERY, VERY bad, I know, I'll be careful), I'll know where to go!y.

If you have a pee funnel you can use the urinal. Right? No worries of dropping it in to the loo.

BTW. Now, like any time, is a good time to remind everybody. No baby wipes in the porta potty. Pack em out!
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby Bling » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 pm

motskyroonmatick wrote:If you have a pee funnel you can use the urinal. Right? No worries of dropping it in to the loo.

Never thought of that, being a girl and all... :oops:
Bling

Postby Victorian » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:51 pm

Today I
Bought my TICKET! It's official folks!

Victorian

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:53 pm

The problem with Pee Funnel Camp is that they made their own pee funnels for a clear plastic cup and a tube. Tube was not flush with the bottom, so there would always be some left over. I suppose women just emptied the rest over the JotS. I wouldn't know. The pee funnel that could help me hasn't been made!
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Bling » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:30 pm

Ohhh. I wondered how they could give away the silicone ones for free--they're $10 on eBay for just the basic model. Supposedly they work (good reviews), but anything of that ilk makes me a little nervous. Definitely going to try it at home first!

Today we got new tires for our tow vehicle, and checked that our trailer tires are highway rated (they are, yay!!!).
Bling

Postby Victorian » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:08 pm

Today, I've just been daydreaming, scheming. Found a very cool website for my bike.. I'm not sharing it.. muahahaha :twisted:

Anywho, I'm quite hungover, I drank with some old friends last night. So I guess you could consider that "building my alcohol tollerance" to prepare for BM. Yes I will be drinking. No not every day. Yes I might stumble into your camp. I'm a fun drinker and NOT a drunk. I swear. :shock:
Victorian

Postby Victorian » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:09 pm

Haven't really done much today... just daydreaming I guess.
Victorian

Postby lonestoner916 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:04 pm

Ordered a sleeping bag and a lantern.

Tomorrow: Post office to send care packages, and probably some drinking. Also, my goggles should be arriving!
lonestoner916

Postby Bling » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Got to American Science & Surplus yesterday and picked up some 2-part LED bike lights that come off and clip to your clothes, and at Sherpees we found some fleece leggings (!!!!) and a cool hat & t-shirt for my sweetie. Best find: Big Lots happened to have their biannual 20% off everything sale! We nabbed washcloths, spray bottles, and tons of sugar free drink mix to go with the plain electrolyte powder. Even found my favorite flavor: raspberry lemonade. :D Went to our regional meeting last night to talk about an April campout.

I'm thinking a fabulously fuzzy camp would be fun some time...
Bling

Postby Elorrum » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:22 pm

Bling wrote:I just found out that American Science & Surplus has a bricks & mortar store nearby! Woohoo!! Field trip on Sunday.

Holy great friggin frick! I'm so jealous.

I swear on Jarvis' flying machine that one day, I too, will visit the American Science and Surplus store.
Elorrum

Postby Bling » Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:24 pm

It is a strange conglomeration of miscellaneous stuff, from toys & novelties to small engine parts to craft supplies to beakers and test tubes. Pretty wild!
Bling

Postby Victorian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:24 pm

-Had two days off Monday and Tuesday. Talked to my fellow az'er that's camping with us - we pretty much text all day about our planning and whatnot.

-Uncle has a GIANT lemon tree. Our camp is serving Lemonade this year, vokda or virgin. So that worked PERFECT. I'll be picking baskets full this week, and juicing the lemons and freezing the juice in ice cube trays to freeze and take tons in my cooler to add to water once we're out there...

-Ticket's purchased, Doctor has cleared me to go, all my levels for thyroid and sugars look great. I'm quite healthy.

-Working on quitting smoking, so I can afford more things for BM 2010.

-Went to walmart, bought a pink mister/spray bottle for $1.
Found some awesome solar globe lights that are LED and change color!!!
Victorian

Postby Bling » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:40 pm

Giant lemon tree for lemonade--how fun! I love color-change LEDs. We have some tealights that do that as tent stake markers. :D

You beat our BigLots price with your misting bottle!
Bling

Postby Weebdog » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:06 pm

Hey Elorrum - Have you gone to Weird Stuff in Sunnyvale (http://www.weirdstuff.com/sunnyvale/html/index.htm)? Kind of like American Science and Surplus.
Weebdog

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Burnout

Postby Bling » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:30 pm

My Playa boots arrived today! Real sheepskin from Australia, just like UGGs (in a pretty blue), but only $30--INCLUDING shipping. Woohoo! And my staff gave me a gel bike seat for my B-day. :D
Bling

Postby Elorrum » Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:40 pm

Weebdog wrote:Hey Elorrum - Have you gone to Weird Stuff in Sunnyvale (http://www.weirdstuff.com/sunnyvale/html/index.htm)? Kind of like American Science and Surplus.

Yep! I like that store. Haven't been in a long time, but they have some Nimh 12V battery packs that I've been scoping out on their website.
Elorrum

Postby Victorian » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:24 pm

I want pictures bling!
I've been having a bad day today...

SO I'm just daydreaming about the playa.
Actually, contemplating moving as well, post BM 2010 of course.
Victorian

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks