Economical Scar prevention

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Economical Scar prevention

Postby The DubJunglist » Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:25 pm

Ok, forgive me if I've told you this before. I have a 16' tall art structure made from plywood that I'd like to burn. one Idea to prevent scarring is to have a canvas tarp underneath to contain the embers from the wood via a long stick. The question is, what to have underneath, protecting the playa? A large piece of sheet metal supported by patio cinderblocks seems to be a pretty costly endeavor, also a problem in toting it out there. I've heard of sand being used.
I feel more like I do now than I did before
The DubJunglist

Postby angrykittie25 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:00 pm

I have not been to burning man yet but am hoping to go this year. If I recall I read a couple of years ago that people would put a flame retardant material, something like canvas, down and then put sand on top of it to make sure that there would be no burn scars. There is a site that you can buy a non toxic spray and apply it to canvas so that it is fire proof. http://www.natfire.com/products.htm
hope this helps
angrykittie25

Postby The DubJunglist » Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:04 pm

wow, that looks great, thanks. I'm wondering, has anyone else had experience with this stuff. Its hard for me to imagine that it will keep the canvas tarp from actually burning.

Would I want to put the sand underneath, on top or both, in relation to the tarp?

Are you going this year?
The DubJunglist

Postby angrykittie25 » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:21 pm

On the burning man web site it says that if you have any questions about how to prevent burn scars, to email the installations. I have attached the link to the form to send. http://www.burningman.com/scripts/compo ... tallations
angrykittie25

Postby The DubJunglist » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:55 pm

Ok, I have an idea here

make a frame from 2x4s (with the 4" side vertical) with perimeter and central support Cover this with sheet metal, the kind that you can get in rolls and secure the sheets. what I'm wondering is: how thick should the metal be not to melt under the wood.
The DubJunglist

Postby Tiara » Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:35 pm

I wish I could find the link to the old threads, but haven't had much luck. Someone last year posted some really great technical info about burn scar prevention. (maybe it was Buster?)

any of the oldtimers remember where that discussion was?
Tiara

Postby jaywalker » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:35 pm

Well Buster put up the one he tested out and used for the TOE on this thread from last year.
http://oldbbs.burningman.com/index.cgi? ... y0Xa2LwggY^18@.eedfacf/20
your judgement is a little off at this time- Peking Noodle Co. fortune cookie
jaywalker

Postby Tiara » Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:46 pm

jaywalker, that's the *exact* thread I was thinking of. Thanks for unearthing it.
Tiara

Postby The DubJunglist » Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:30 pm

While this is a good idea and relatively economical. It is still more than I can afford and very labor intensive. The latest idea is to create a platform using 2x4s an d covering it with pieces of sheet metal (the thin kind that comes in rolls)

I'd like to make it by just laying the 2x4s out in a frame, with the 4" side vertical. This is very easy, but encloses the area under the platform. I'm wondering if the lack of airflow will damage the playa.
The DubJunglist

Postby Tiara » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:59 pm

I'm not an expert, and I'd recommend sending an email to Buster to see if he'd be willing to lend you his expertise. But if the "thin sheet metal that comes in rolls" you're considering is what I'm thinking it is, it probably won't be adequate to prevent leaving a scar.
Tiara

Postby Bob » Tue Apr 20, 2004 5:54 am

Two or three issues, at least, w/ burn scars -- discoloration from smoke & ash, discoloration & baking/firing of playa silt/clay from the heat, and leaving ash and other materials as trace.

Sheet metal or silica cloth prevent smoke & ash from contacting the playa, but should be overlaid w/ sand or dirt, layers of sheet metal separated w/ air space, maybe w/ noncombustible insulation of some sort. Or a metal pan kicked off the ground at least six inches.

Here's the proper link on the main website. Look for the art installation guidelines.

http://www.burningman.com/themecamps_installations/installations/
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks