Camera Preparation? Any hints? Big or sacrifice with small?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby teardropper » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:21 am

I took my Nikon DSLR last year and basically never got it out. Looking through a SLR viewfinder is looking through a tunnel. Not the way I wanted to spend my burn. Also had a Nikon point and shoot and it lasted till Saturday before it froze up. The p&s was less obtrusive and easier to use. This year I will take a water proof/dust proof/shock proof p&s for all those photography needs.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby winebuff » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:29 am

I thought about the waterproof, dustproof camera but am still waffling. I do photography semi-professionally so it is like having a artist who paints going to Italy and just bringing childs watercolors. I think I will bring the good camera but also bring the point and shoot. Then decide where my comfort level is. If it is a nice day, no dust (yeah right) then photograph the art with the big one. People more than likely, with permission from them, shoot with the p and s so as not to look like an ass :lol:
winebuff

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:24 pm

justfred wrote:Seriously though - to experience something you have to EXPERIENCE it. You can't do so by seeing it through a viewfinder, and you can't do so by looking at a coffee table book. You have to be there, be in it. This is one of the things I've learned at Burning Man.

I disagree. Having my camera with me at the event encourages me to get more involved in the environment around me. My shooting style out there pretty much demands that I am there and in it.

Now, I also freely admit to utilizing my camera to avoid social interaction at times but it is the exact opposite when I am on the playa. Asking for permission to photograph demands a basic and opening level of interaction witht eh person you are wanting to photograph and it has served as an ice breaker in the past. One of my best days on the playa ever was in 08 when I was behind the bar at Booby Bar shooting portraits all afternoon of people ducking in to get out of the dust storm.

One aspect of the event that newbies don't seem to understand, is that everyone is a participant. And although you "do your art through photography" - that isn't participating. It isn't enriching the event for others AT THE EVENT. People won't look at you and say, "oh wow, that's awesome, you're taking pictures." There used to be a big sign at center camp that said "No Spectators" and you're asked to do four hours of community service during the event - a request that new people tend to ignore. What do you plan to do to serve the community? Picking up moop doesn't count, you have to do that anyway.

My first year I participated with a new theme camp and manged to shoot over 2000 pictures in the same week.

And truly, community service is in the eye of the beholder. I spent much more than 4 hours touching up and sending pictures out to people that asked for copies of ones I shot of them on the playa that (in addition to busting ass on and being part of a popular theme camp). Are you saying that the time I gave of myself in providing photos for people did not enrich their experience and memories of the event? That such time does not count as it is merely derived from spectating and moot by proxy? I think they would disagree with your assessment based on the thanks and well wishes that it has brought me from them.

I honestly suggest that instead of planning a photo safari, you try to find people in your local area who are doing a project of some sort - a theme camp, an art car, an interactive art piece. Get to know them. You may find out that you can indeed paint, sing, and play an instrument - and maybe you can weld, use a plasma cutter, do some soldering, go thrift store shopping, cook dinner, share wine, come up with clever whatever for the amazing whatchamawhozit they're building. Heck, they'll probably even let you take pictures of them! They are the real Burning Man. Go deep.

I suggest doing all of that and planning a photo safari that incorporates all of it into one fun packed, action filled adventure.

I'm sure the media mecca people are cool and all, but for the most part capitalism is what they're about. You get a media tag so you can sell your shit, and media mecca exists to corral these folx and try to steer them on-message. If you just want to take pictures for friends and family you don't need a media pass. If you really want to take pictures to sell to stock photo agencies, you'd be better off spending your week in Death Valley instead - suggest you go barefoot and don't bring any water.

It is not nearly as easy as you are trying to make it out to be in terms of media access. Every image you submit for publication has to be preapproved by BORG. If they are recognizable images of people you have to have full model releases from them.

Selling them as stock images would never fly with BORG and they'd shut that down in a hurry.
Playawaste Raiders cordially invites you to suck it.
CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby winebuff » Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:24 pm

Touche Smashy! I couldnt have said it better. I just called him some "not nice words" for saying all that stupid shit :)
winebuff

Postby skeive » Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:22 pm

I have gone to BM the past three years and have taken and used a Cannon Digital Rebel XTi with a variety of lenses each year and the camera and the lenses have survived without any problems whatsoever.

A couple of suggestions I can make that have helped me. I carry a dry bag with me to store the camera and lenses in. I figure if it is water tight it should be dust tight, and the way you seal them is a lot more durable than a ziplock bag. Also you don't have to worry about poking holes in the plastic. Plus since most dry bags are opaque you don't have to worry as much about leaving the camera laying around and someone borrowing it permanently when you aren't looking.

Second, using a UV filter on every lens goes without saying. I have ended up with a few dust scratches on my UV filters, but then again they are cheap and are sacrificial lambs to the dust gods. No biggie if they go away.

Third, you can change lenses, just don't be stupid about it. I try to do so inside the dry bag, and don't do it in heavy dusty wind.

I am more into low light photography than day time photography so would definitely suggest taking a tripod and a remote trigger to get good time lapse shots of explosions, fireworks, etc...

The last suggestion is that you don't worry about it. I basically wrote the cost of the camera off the first time I went, and see every day it has survived since then as a gift from the dust gods. The pictures I have gotten are well worth the cost of one camera.

Cheers,

Skeive
skeive

Postby dr.placebo » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:28 pm

I agree with smashy and skeive. Take reasonable precautions and your camera is likely to be OK. Take a tripod. Photography is art, and is fun to share, although it's important to take a few trips into the playa without having a camera along.

3 years of a Canon G2, 5 years with the same Canon Rebel XT:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dr-placebo/sets/
dr.placebo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Cleu Camp

Postby lambert13 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:26 am

A waterproof point and pray could also be a good idea. Something like this

http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/digital ... lim-ex-g1/

Dust wont get inside. Shockproof. Good image quality.

It wont be as versatile as a DSLR, but for most things it would do just fine. You could even rig a filter over the lens to protect against airborne dust and particles with a little bit of creativity.

In my experience, knowing how to use your camera and working with its limitations and strengths is far more important than having a big fancy camera that does "everything". I would not use something like the camera above for low light/night photography because of point and shoot's poor low light performance. I would use it for daytime bike rides around the playa in case I saw something that caught my eye.
It's pointless to walk when it's past time to run.
lambert13

Postby Kodachrome-Burning » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:56 am

[quote="winebuff"]PS

I am a semi-pro photographer btw. I sell to stock ad agencies and have sold over 700 photos. (La de flippin dah)![/quote]

Tell me it ain't iStock.....Vah-mit!

BTW, the good folks at Black City LLC do not allow the sale of images of BM through stock outlets in any shape or form regardless of credential.

Question though, I usually shoot with 2 Leica bodies to avoid film and lens changes in foul weather, do you need a tag for each rig?
I don't need the World at my fingertips - it's planted firmly beneath my feet
Kodachrome-Burning

Postby manicrabbit » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:44 am

Great photos! I will probably bring my point and shoot...
manicrabbit

Postby winebuff » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:44 pm

Hi Kodachrome

No, it is mostly at shutterstock. As for you question about 2 cameras, I am a virgin, first time going in 2010 but I would assume that you only need to register in general, doesnt matter on your equipment. I am not going to sell my pics, just shooting for the thrill of the art. Not looking to make money at all. I think of BM as the ULTIMATE photo op but one that is for me to keep and show friends and family. That is what makes it so great, it is not for the money, just pure art to enjoy
winebuff

Postby Kodachrome-Burning » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:02 am

winebuff wrote:Hi Kodachrome

No, it is mostly at shutterstock. As for you question about 2 cameras, I am a virgin, first time going in 2010 but I would assume that you only need to register in general, doesnt matter on your equipment. I am not going to sell my pics, just shooting for the thrill of the art. Not looking to make money at all. I think of BM as the ULTIMATE photo op but one that is for me to keep and show friends and family. That is what makes it so great, it is not for the money, just pure art to enjoy

Not sure what Shutterstock's business model is, I only do high end stock in my own agency that is heavily password protected, out of the public eye.

I know what you mean, I have done photography for 34 years of my 42 on this planet. I don't do it for the money either, but I get paid full time to do it because people insist on paying me, so who can argue with that, right?

I am currently waiting to hear back from the press folks since what I want to produce on Kodachrome film at BM 2010 would be a great sub-essay for a chapter in my book called "Art-We" which is about the human projection of art adorned. The book will come out in late 2011 and be called "Kodachrome at 75" and be a personal homage to a medium that still flat out blows away digital in my opinion.

Along with the book will be an exhibit of Ilfochrome prints that travel for a year. None of the images I will make at BM-2010 will appear on the internet even for personal purposes. This marks a change for me that started last month and I will no longer be posting *any* of my work on the internet for I do not like how people are being exploited. It is one thing to have the right to take photographs for personal use, but more and more the idea of posting them willy nilly without regard to the consequence of the one portrayed really bothers me.

The whole "Share" on Flickr thing to gain self serving accolades like "Nice Capture" is totally out of control now, people are really starting to not like photographers. For example, in the first 17 years of my career, I only ever heard " I don't want my picture taken" and that was fine by me, easy to respect. Now for the past three years, I have witnessed an alarming trend from people who now all say "I don't want my photo on the internet".

So Burning Man is a really poignant case study in this and regardless of what happens with the press office, I am going to be SO happy not only to hand over a card so that people can get copies of photos I take of them, but to assure them that they will not find their likeness plastered on the internet to boost my ego, ever.

So either way, I will be there doing what I love and what people love for me to do, respectfully and as a participant, not just an observer.

Peace, db
Kodachrome-Burning

Postby winebuff » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:50 am

Hey db,

Great words. My sentiments exactly. Have you looked into Media Mecca also? They have a camp there that you can hang out with and talk shop with other photographers who are shooting bm. They only ask to bring a bottle of something to drink and share with the group. I have never been to bm but going in 2010 and researching what I can. Maybe we can hook up and have a drink. Would love to chat with you.
winebuff

Postby winebuff » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:53 am

WOW db

Your photos are awesome! And you only shoot film? We do need to have a drink. Great job. I absolutely love photography because I cant sing, dance, draw etc etc but photography is something anyone can do and take it to whatever level they want.
winebuff

Postby chris2010 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:30 am

lambert13 wrote:A waterproof point and pray could also be a good idea. Something like this

http://www.uncrate.com/men/gear/digital ... lim-ex-g1/

Dust wont get inside. Shockproof. Good image quality.

It wont be as versatile as a DSLR, but for most things it would do just fine. You could even rig a filter over the lens to protect against airborne dust and particles with a little bit of creativity.

In my experience, knowing how to use your camera and working with its limitations and strengths is far more important than having a big fancy camera that does "everything". I would not use something like the camera above for low light/night photography because of point and shoot's poor low light performance. I would use it for daytime bike rides around the playa in case I saw something that caught my eye.

That is what I plan on doing for my first time at Burning Man. I had thought about bringing my Canon XTi, but I was too afraid it would be damaged so I got a Water/Dust proof camera... I got the Canon PowerShot D10 which I hope it will work well out on the Playa! :) ... I'm just counting down the days now!

Canon PowerShot D10: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=2590&modelid=18332
~Chris~
2010, 2011)°(2013?
chris2010

Postby Oso » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:49 pm

I took a couple of good Point & Shoots this year, took tons of pic's, and had no problem. I kept them in a simple zippered bag, took them out only when "inspired", then quickly put them back.
There were a couple of times that I didn't get a shot cause the wind kicked up and the camera went back into the bag pronto.
Home is not where you live but where they understand you.
Oso

Postby akmojo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:17 pm

I use a new Lumix TS1, it is a 12MP point and shoot that is water and shock proof.. also shoots 720P HD video.. it's lens is internal, fits in ones pocket..
plus it has a zoom range of 28-128... take it anywhere and have it out and take a pic in a heartbeat, no need for zip locks, etc...
carrying around a big camera is a personal choice (also maintenance/risk/cost).. but I like the ease of carrying and quickness of shooting my Lumix... easy to charge batteries in camp too.. also peace of mind knowing I am ready with my lil camera vs worrying about dust, gear, lenses, batteries and hauling around a big bag that one has to fool with to open and reseal all the time..
for pics look in www.myspace.com/aksotar
think big and dare to fail
akmojo

Postby teardropper » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:25 pm

Yeah, that's the one I got, the armoured Panasonic. Small and everything he said, the Lumix is the best I could find. With image stable mode it does shoot a decent hand held night shot. With spare battery and SD cards and truly waterproof/dustproof/shockproof it should last the week with no problems.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby Kodachrome-Burning » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:40 pm

winebuff wrote:WOW db

Your photos are awesome! And you only shoot film? We do need to have a drink. Great job. I absolutely love photography because I cant sing, dance, draw etc etc but photography is something anyone can do and take it to whatever level they want.

Thanks for the compliments. I have shot digital for nearly 16 years, but I am trying to get away from it, so...onward....

But your last statement, I am going to have to disagree. Not just anyone can make powerful, real and emotionally driven photographs, it still takes talent and presence, something digital or Photoshop can not give you. I do understand that it is rewarding to a lot more people because they get past some of the more vexing technical aspects in using digital. But the way one responds to light, composition and the convergence of things, that will always take high levels of talent to bring forward.

I don't mean in this in anything but the best way. For example, if you surround your self with nothing but the internet photo groups, the hype would make you believe that anyone can make a resounding photograph. But then when you talk to the editors, art directors, the galleries, all of them still agree that talent tops technology.

And I would be glad to talk to you or anyone out on the Playa, but it is highly unlikely you will find me in the Media Mecca because I don't really talk shop and I would rather be in the moment like everyone else. I am not the guy who will stand out with a D3 on one shoulder and a D700 on the other, I am much more low key. I am far more likely to find a cheap Nikon FM, paint it strange colors and be art my self...
:D
Kodachrome-Burning

Postby winebuff » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:43 pm

Good for you D. I like doing both, meaning I like talking to other photographers because they inspire me to do better and I also like my "alone time" when I shoot because it is time for me and no one else. I think anyone can shoot photos and feel good about what they shoot. I know when I started submitting my photos professionally, I got my ego bruised because I thought they were better than the stock ad agencies that dished them. I eventually took their critiquing and now I have sold many photos over and over. Very rewarding. It is funny though, the ones I like, they do not sell. The ones I think are good but no big deal, tend to be my biggest selllers.

Anyways, I am digressing. I am going to bring the best camera I have, stay low keyed, pull it out when I want to get the shot and put it back. Plain and simple. My camera is weather sealed so should be fine.

BM is the ULTIMATE photo op so I say go for it. Just BE RESPECTFUL
winebuff

Postby Weebdog » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Check out the "camera rain covers" sold at "http://thephotobuddy.com/" (scroll down).
These look as a possible alterative to ziplock baggies to protect your camera out on the playa. I like that you can keep the cover on and still take pictures.
Weebdog

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Burnout

Postby winebuff » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:13 pm

Weebdog wrote:Check out the "camera rain covers" sold at "http://thephotobuddy.com/" (scroll down).
These look as a possible alterative to ziplock baggies to protect your camera out on the playa. I like that you can keep the cover on and still take pictures.

Cool idea but a ziplock would be less money. Something to think about definitely, thx!
winebuff

Postby Elorrum » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:12 am

I bid on three cameras once on ebay and won them all. Average price $20.00. Kodak easyshare 4mp. no moving parts, takes an SD card and even though it feels disposable, I've used the same one for three years at Burning Man. I pretty much gave up on "capturing" what blows me away. Things look tiny and distant. I usually say, "this was supposed to be" while showing many of my pictures. I show pics to friends to sort of show them where I go. I don't think the pictures give me any approximation of my experience, they are just reminders. An unused camera, no matter the quality, isn't a good camera for Burning Man. I put mine in a ziplock baggy and try to keep it handy, but it is not a critical element of my experience.
Elorrum

Postby teardropper » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:20 am

[quote="winebuff"]I thought about the waterproof, dustproof camera but am still waffling. I do photography semi-professionally so it is like having a artist who paints going to Italy and just bringing childs watercolors. I think I will bring the good camera but also bring the point and shoot. Then decide where my comfort level is. If it is a nice day, no dust (yeah right) then photograph the art with the big one. People more than likely, with permission from them, shoot with the p and s so as not to look like an ass :lol:[/quote]

It's not exactly like using crayons to use a good Leica lens, 12 megapixel, the same as 28 mm wide angle, HD movie shooting with sound, "point and shoot". Your eye sees the pic, the camera just takes what you see. I also shoot a lot w/DSLR, but "see" just as many pics with the quality P&S. And I have it with me, I won't have to worry about it, and the pics, with just a wee bit of a loss of control, will turn out great. You see high quality SLR's, but not many, and most are pros who clean them after. I hate for you to sacrifice your art, but don't think you'll lose much, but I'd hate for you to lose your camera. I lost the last two days of the burn due to camera failure, and after losing the P&S, I wasn't about to back up with the DSLR. Maybe I'll see you, pre burn at Alturas.

Oh yeah, I just made an iMovie on my Mac and it turned out great.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby winebuff » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:27 am

teardropper wrote:
winebuff wrote:I thought about the waterproof, dustproof camera but am still waffling. I do photography semi-professionally so it is like having a artist who paints going to Italy and just bringing childs watercolors. I think I will bring the good camera but also bring the point and shoot. Then decide where my comfort level is. If it is a nice day, no dust (yeah right) then photograph the art with the big one. People more than likely, with permission from them, shoot with the p and s so as not to look like an ass :lol:

It's not exactly like using crayons to use a good Leica lens, 12 megapixel, the same as 28 mm wide angle, HD movie shooting with sound, "point and shoot". Your eye sees the pic, the camera just takes what you see. I also shoot a lot w/DSLR, but "see" just as many pics with the quality P&S. And I have it with me, I won't have to worry about it, and the pics, with just a wee bit of a loss of control, will turn out great. You see high quality SLR's, but not many, and most are pros who clean them after. I hate for you to sacrifice your art, but don't think you'll lose much, but I'd hate for you to lose your camera. I lost the last two days of the burn due to camera failure, and after losing the P&S, I wasn't about to back up with the DSLR. Maybe I'll see you, pre burn at Alturas.

Hi teardropper,
Yes, planning on camping in Alturas Fri and possibly Sat night. Look for the vintage turquoise and white chick shack. Yes, point taken on the camera. I will probably bring the good one, and 2 point and shoots. Then decide what my comfort level is. My good one is weather sealed so that works out. Just play it by ear. Would love to have a drink with you Fri or Sat night :)
What time do you plan on getting to BM? That is what I am trying to decide since I am driving by myself, whether to go in the morning or head out and arrive after midnight, maybe follow others burners if that is the way to go from there
winebuff

Postby teardropper » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:45 am

Oh yeah, bring a real packable tripod for night shooting. Which is the most fun anyway.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:21 am

If you put your camera model and "Waterproof" into eBay, you can find molded plastic bags that were made to take "regular" cameras underwater. If they are waterproof, they are dustproof. They also have them on Amazon, where they have reviews (generally, the bags take a little getting used to to avoid having them interfere, but the overall impression was very good--with no degradation of picture quality), but the products cost more.

I bought my daughter one of these for her Nikon D90, for $20 (free shipping). NOt sure if the image will show up, but if not just click the link... [img]ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260540818325&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_7714wt_712[/img].

ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 7714wt_712[/img]
Bling

Postby winebuff » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:06 am

Bling wrote:If you put your camera model and "Waterproof" into eBay, you can find molded plastic bags that were made to take "regular" cameras underwater. If they are waterproof, they are dustproof. They also have them on Amazon, where they have reviews (generally, the bags take a little getting used to to avoid having them interfere, but the overall impression was very good--with no degradation of picture quality), but the products cost more.

I bought my daughter one of these for her Nikon D90, for $20 (free shipping). NOt sure if the image will show up, but if not just click the link... Image.

ttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 7714wt_712[/img]

Thats a great idea. I did buy a batery grip so dont think it will fit with that. The battery grip will hold batteries since we dont have electricity. May have to readjust my thinking on this
winebuff

Postby Blurt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:17 am

Thanks for another camera thread - I have taken my DSLR two years now and both times I only managed to take about 100 shots before I couldn't be bothered to lug it around anymore. This year, a small waterproof cheapie is coming. If it is easier to cart around, I might actually use it.
Blurt

Postby Bling » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:21 am

My daughter may not mind lugging around her D90, but I'm with you, and will be bringing my Canon Powershot A630. Nifty little lightweight camera, takes great pictures, and uses regular AA batteries. I was looking at the waterproof ones, but why spend another $300 to basically duplicate the A630, when for $13 I can use the one I like?
Bling

Postby Blurt » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 am

Bling, how is the lag time on the Canon? I was looking into an Olympus waterproof:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10136065&catid=22534#
Blurt

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks