airplanes...rental cars

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

airplanes...rental cars

Postby djaded » Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:45 am

Although I am the biggest procrastinator I know, I got on the ball and bought my airline tickets. Southwest airlines is so frickin cheap. I saved $300 bucks on 2 tickets. WOOTWOOT! *shakes money maker* Now, I need to start working on a rental car....My girlfriend is 21-I am 19. Ive heard that the rental car places hate burners and I realize that it is going to be a hassle anyway to rent under the age 25. So....does anyone have any positive experiences with a rental car company in reno? I was considering advantage because they gave me the cheapest quote but cheaper does not always equal better. Thanks guys. *shakes money maker again*
It's those Swedes again....get the hose.
djaded

Postby Menehune » Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:57 am

Do some research and get first hand information. Prepare a list of questions and make a few calls…

Do you rent to people under 25?
What is the rate per; per week?
What is the mileage charge if any?
What is the insurance rate?
What other charges maybe included, such as taxes, cleaning fees, fuels charges.

The last question should be….. Do you rent to Burning Man participants?

Also, call the local car wash/detailing shops for quotes for cleaning the vehicle and compare with the rental car agencies.

Advantage Rent-A-Car
2105 Kietzke Ln
Reno, NV 89502-3602
Phone: (775)322-3003

Alamo Rent-A-Car
Reno Tahoe Airport,
Reno, NV 89501
Phone: (775)323-7940

Avis Rent A Car
Reno Tahoe Intl Air
Reno, NV 89501
Phone: (775)785-2727

Enterprise Rent-A-Car
7111 S Virginia St #A17
Reno, NV 89511-1115
Phone: (775)853-1100

Hertz
2707 S. Virginia St.
Reno, NV 89502
(775)827-2469

Internet Auto
1220 Kietzke Ln
Reno, NV 89502-2749
Phone: (775)326-5050

National
Reno Tahoe Internati
Reno, NV 89501
(775)785-2756

Rent-A-Wreck
295 Gentry Way
Reno, NV 89502
(775)322-7787

Savers Rent-A-Car
Reno, NV 89501
(775)786-6444

Thrifty Rent-A-Car
1395 Airmotive Way
Reno, NV 89502
(775)329-0096

Auto Car Wash & Detailing Shops

All Seasons Auto Detailing
170 E Grove St, Reno, NV 89502
Phone: (775) 825-8408

Buggy Bath Car Wash
2525 S Virginia St
Reno, NV 89502-3716
Phone: (775) 826-6679

Car Wash At McCarren Landing
4991 Longley Ln, Reno, NV 89502
Phone: (775) 829-9274

Classic Auto Detail Shop
3409 Mill St, Reno, NV 89502
Phone: (775) 329-4488

Franktown Hand Car Wash & Express Detailing
2331 Kietzke Ln
Reno, NV 89502
(775) 827-2601

Freeway Car Wash & Detail
10170 N McCarran Blvd Ste D
Reno, NV 89503
(775) 624-1445

Futura CarWash
650 Booth St
Reno, NV 89509
(775) 322-7212

GNT Enterprises Inc.
5301 Longley Ln
Reno, NV 89511
(775) 829-2333
Loves to share.... But does not play well with others....
Menehune

Postby anticdevices » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:01 pm

Are you sure you need a car? If you're flying into Reno, assuming Fred does it again the Black Rock Burner Hostel and/or Ride Share works quite well for getting you & yours from Reno to BRC & back. As long as you can be flexible (+/-24 hrs) about when you're willing to arrive & leave the playa IMHO, this option rocks for people coming from a long way off. As a bonus, you'll probably get to meet some pretty cool Burners face to face before you even hit the playa.

And no, anticDevices is not a wholly owned subsidiary of BRBH. Just happy customers. :wink: Feel free to PM if you'd like more information about our experience.
O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention - Henry V, Prologue
anticdevices

Postby Alpha » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:30 pm

A couple more things: you are allowed by law to waive the damage insurance, and it's usually wise to do so if you know that your own car insurance covers rentals (check first). And when asking the Burning Man question, I'd throw in an extra reassurance: "Do you rent to Burning Man participants as long as the car is brought back clean?" If they say No then they are more or less admitting to discriminatory practices.
Alpha

Postby djaded » Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:56 pm

Wow thanks for the help. I have actually been looking at the burner hostle and rideshare and was really impressed. My girlfriend and I wont be arriving till tuesday on the week of the burn and the burner hostle said they had planned to leave sunday or monday. I am kinda thinking that even though I am a poor college student and I have already spent a buttload of cash on tix I will be able to save up for a rental car. My first gift to someone can be a ride to BRC :D
It's those Swedes again....get the hose.
djaded

Postby Release Me » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:07 pm

If you can get away with not renting a car that's your best bet...less liability and headach. Hooking up at Fred's hostile I hear is a good experience. He's under the handle "hageymon" in some threads around the forum. He's a good guy, loves horns and was a teacher of mine in high school. Though a frequent target of the pantzooka team.

Renting a car would be nice too...your on your own schedule. I'm probably heading out the 29th or 30th to set up camp, coming back to Reno for my B'day on the 31st, then going back on the first with the rest of my campmates. If I can be useful let me know.
Happiness is nothing more than good health and a bad memory.
Release Me

Postby anticdevices » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:24 pm

djaded wrote:My first gift to someone can be a ride to BRC :D

That definitely rocks. And you may still want to hook up with Fred on the 'I can give a lift' side of things. As I remember he was still shipping people out as late as Wednesday last year - though my memory is fuzzy. He was definitely still arranging rides for a day or two after his official 'last day'.

A ride back to Reno when you're leaving would also be a much-appreciated gift. As I remember (and our involvement was only as interested (& easily distracted!) observers) Fred had a harder time arranging rides to get people back to Reno. Not for lack of volunteers, but more (I'm guessing) due to communication difficulties. It sometimes takes a bit more effort to arrange rendezvous on the playa than it does in civilization.
O for a Muse of fire, that would ascend
The brightest heaven of invention - Henry V, Prologue
anticdevices

Postby Chai Guy » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:34 pm

I'm going to say that Rideshare is probably your best bet. Especially this early on in the game. Perhaps you could even help with a theme camp (Not saying you have to "join" that theme camp, you could camp in walk-in camping if you like, but just help with set-up and clean up in exchange for a ride).

Of course renting a car does have it's advantages, right? I mean you don't have to worry about anyone flaking out on you and you don't have to worry about missing your flight or getting dropped off at the airport 8 hours early.

Finally, have you considered renting a truck or van from one of the "moving" companies? You might find one cheaper than you could a rental car, and with much less hassle about cleaning it (just drive it to a do-it-yourself carwash and hose out the interior of the box van-done!). Hey, stop by one of the Reno thrift shops and pick up a bed, couch, and other furnishings and you've got a full size bedroom right in the back of the truck! Just an idea.
Chai Guy

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:18 pm

Ride shares will be posted on this board, I understand.

You might also try craigslist
http://www.craigslist.org/
There were a lot there last year and even though I didn't see a Reno location, there are a lot of people coming through from the Bay area.

Just a suggestion.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Burner Hostel/Rideshare Project

Postby hageymon » Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:50 am

Ok, kids, I guess it's time for moi, Hageymon, to jump into this thread. The Burner Hostel/Rideshare Project is indeed up-and-running for 2004, but my website is outdated and is undergoing revision by a website guru volunteer. Last year, despite my intentions to leave for the Playa earlier, the Rideshare Project remained open until the Thursday before the Burn, due to incredible demand, which limited my own Playa-Time. Would you believe that almost FIVE HUNDRED PEOPLE came through here last season, counting Rideshare Volunteers? Beyond Belief! This year, I'll be shutting things down sooner, but will PROBABLY keep the doors open for Tuesday and EARLY Wednesday arrivals. For more information, I'm at fhagemeister@prodigy.net
hageymon

Postby marnen » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:23 pm

Last time I went, I flew to Reno. I rented from Thrifty, which charged me something like $222 for a small car for the week (I was 27, so didn't have the under-25 issue). Frankly, I didn't really want to be dependent on someone else's wheels; I tried to give someone else a lift to the playa, but it didn't work out. The car also meant I was able to do a little sightseeing in Reno before I flew home.

Having a car at BM was good too, since it gave me extra storage space (I was camping alone and had a tiny tent).

A couple of notes: I did *not* tell Thrifty I was going to BM...when they asked for a phone number where they could contact me, I told them (truthfully) that I wasn't sure where I'd be staying (I don't have a mobile phone, or I'd have given them that). Before I brought back the car, I spent $14 or so to have it washed inside and out. It looked like new, with no trace of playa dust, and I was not given any trouble when I returned the car. I'd happily rent from Thrifty again if I had to (I'll be taking my own car this time, God willing).

Good luck!
marnen

Postby III » Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:43 am

it is becoming common for car rental companies to track their rental cars via gps. the fines for doing this are exorbitant (in the thousands of dollars - you could buy a chaep used car for the price). the rub is, they tell you what the restrictions are, and you're the one lying to them about where you go. you don't even get to have a moral leg to stand on if you get busted...
III

ride out

Postby Piper » Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:09 pm

I will also be doing an in and out this year. I have to open school so I will be coming back in Sunday and going out Wednesday for good and will have some room to take people there. I will be working with Hagey if there are people needing rides out.

Now, that aside, if you do rent a car/truck I am sure the Hostel(spelled it right Fred) could use some help if you had sapce going out?

Peace
Piper
Peace
Piper

I said, "Man, I'd like to stay
But I'm bound for glory
I'm on my way
My ride's here...

Warren Zevon RIP
Piper

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks