THE trick for avoiding dehydration on the Playa

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

THE trick for avoiding dehydration on the Playa

Postby King_of_Snake » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:21 am

...and the answer is: powdered Gatorade! What we do is mix up a 1 liter bottle of the stuff BEFORE we get to the Playa (Reno) and sip it along the way. Once on the playa we make sure to consume at least 2L of Gatorade per day (2 people). We have NEVER had a problem with dehydration when using this technique. Why powdered Gatorade? It takes up less space and its cheaper than the liquid form. Powdered Gatorade is available in LARGE tins that seal.

Remember, if you are going to consume any dehydrating substance and this includes coffee, be sure to increase your amount of Gatorade intake. Dehydration is deadly, if you or anyone else experiences symptoms of dehydration, get to a Medical tent!

Happy Burnin'

KOS[/b]
King_of_Snake

Re: THE trick for avoiding dehydration on the Playa

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Mar 14, 2004 11:22 pm

King_of_Snake wrote:...and the answer is: powdered Gatorade! [/b]

Say just moments ago I was searching ebay for a deal on bulk Gatorade powder... there was some guy in Utah selling two packets good for 12 gallons total for $29 incl s&h, but the local stores have better sales. Didn't know it came in big resealable tins, I will look for some! Great stuff as long as the water its put in is potable to start with. I brought a case of the 32oz. jugs to the playa last year, you're right it works and even tastes good if not cold. (warm tap water...bleahhh) (unless of course that's all there is...)
Burning Man 2003-14; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech
Keru's Phenomenal Phantasmagoria of Terrors and Delights
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby rodent » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:55 am

Remember to water down that gateraid. Double the ammount of water as per instructions on the can. Too much electrolyte can be just as dangerous as not enough. It can dehydrate you just as drinking too little water. Too much electrolyte and your body tries to flush the extra from the system, using up more of your body's water to do so.

---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)
rodent

Postby Tiara » Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:36 pm

I think that most Costco's and similar warehouse stores sell large re-sealable cans of Gatorade powder for under $10. One can makes many gallons of drink, and even more if you water it down like Rodent suggests. The only flavor I've found at our local Costco is the original lemon/lime.
Tiara

Postby Dork » Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:24 pm

I've never had any gatorade on the playa and have never gotten dehydrated. The trick (IMHO) seems to be to keep sipping all the time. When I have seen people get dehydrated it's usually because they were too busy working in the sun to drink or because they were out partying all night and not sipping water between harder drinks.

Keep water, gatorade, or whatever with you at all times and if you can't remember when you last took a sip, take one.
Dork

Postby III » Tue Apr 06, 2004 2:33 pm

>>The trick

is to manage your electrolytes as well as your water. sucking down several gallons of water a day without including electrolytes will leave you a confused and miserable mess.

(i'll second the diluting gatorade by half recommendation. you can buy bags of powdered gatorade suitable for making a couple gallons at a time in contractors supply stores like white cap.)
III

Postby vulgaris » Sun May 02, 2004 6:28 pm

"The Trick"

Drink your god damned water... God damn!

I love gatorade any other week [or vodka] of the year, but once that shit gets warm it was like suckin' down cough medicine. Blah. Double Blah. I had this nalgeen bottle of water hangin' off my umbrella hook and I was A-OTAY. The magic is to drink deep, share, and refill or return home once you hit the halfway mark.
vulgaris

Postby blyslv » Mon May 03, 2004 10:51 am

You don't have to buy commercial products. Eat a good mix of salty and sweet snacks, and drink your water. If you do buy commercial products dilution is the solution.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks