Question about bike locks

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Question about bike locks

Postby danibel » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:21 pm

Hiya!

I did a quick search on bike locks and the most I found was that people recommend we use them (duh!).

I don't bike a lot in the real world. I love spin class though! :) My good friend sold me a mountain bike that is currently at the bike shop getting proper tires and a tune up. Needless to say - I don't have a bike lock hanging out the garage and I have been searching online but there are so many to choose from!

My questions:

Do you prefer any particular brand?
Do I need to get the cable and u lock one since my tires are quick release?
Or would A long cable lock suffice?
A key or a combo lock? The combo thing might suck if I get really drunk and can't remember it! Then again losing a key would also suck. Which do you prefer?
If there is no post/bike rack to lock the bike to - do you just leave it out of the road and lock the tires to the frame?
Should I worry about my quick release wheels/seat?
Is bike theft prevalent? From what I read in the survival guide - a bike going missing is usually a case of mistaken identity.
I am not bringing some super nice bike but it I don't want it to go missing on me.

Thanks!
danibel

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby sputnik » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:33 pm

My experience is that you are just trying to deter the drunktard who is looking for transportation. Put one of those cheap combo locks on it. I even paint the combo onto the underside of the frame in case I forget it.

If this is a fancy bike, then I say you should dull it down, or playafy it ASAP. hide the fact that it's a fancy Trek (or whatever) with fur and ribbons and stuff.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Absolut Jeenyus » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:44 pm

Something simple. Cables are best IMO on the playa cause you can lock up multiple bikes to each other, and/or use it to lock onto a permanent fixture.
Now obviously the less shit you have to carry the better so I would opt for a combo cable lock, this way you don't have to carry and keep track of the keys. It would really suck to come back to your bikes and you cant get to em cause someone lost the key. lol. Both are about the same price. And you can just wrap them around the frame when not in use.
Anyhow hope this helps. :wink:

-AJ )'(
Absolut Jeenyus

Postby wedeliver » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 pm

Kryptonite made some really nice motorcycle/bike locks a few years back that had the round type key. Well it turned out that the lock could be opened with the top of a bic pen. It fit in the hole and the soft plastic could work the gears inside. Kryptonite ended up replacing the locks with a regular key type which work great.
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:27 pm

Many many bikes go missing at the burn. If you disable the bike then those looking for a ride will go on to the next one. Get something easy to use cause you will be locking and unlocking it all the time. I just put the cable through the frame and both wheels so when someone picks it up and tries to ride it won't function. That way when you come out of the potty the bike will still be there.
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby DoctorIknow » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:45 pm

I use same keyed cheap Master locks, and have them on cheap cables on the four bikes our group brings. We have eight keys, all the same, all on heavy string worn as a necklace. Even the fashionistas will submit to the logic of wearing the key.

And if your bike is too valuable, and even decoration can't block out the quality, check out garage sales.
DoctorIknow

Postby dragonpilot » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:51 pm

One word...keyless cable lock...OK, two words.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Burning Since: 2005

Postby ibdave » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:58 pm

5 words... Bungee cord.. (bad at Math)

Last 10 years we have used a bungee cord qand depending on how many bikes we have , we wrap it through the frame, wheels ect.. The Borrower's just grab and run, if they grab and have lots of bikes, they leave them. If you have ONE bike, run the bungee through the frame and front wheel and watch them flip over the handlebars..... :shock: :shock: :shock:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Postby Playa Tom » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:16 pm

Get one with a changeable combo lock. You can set your own combination like your phone number and if you are too drunk to remember it you have no business riding anyway.
Playa Tom

Postby AntiM » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:07 am

we have locks which have words for the combos, not numbers.

What we need is a suggestion for a one-handed operable lock.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:28 am

Im more concerned about all the lights and crap that I put on my bike walking off more then the bike it self.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby dragonpilot » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:22 am

First year I lost my key. Second year I brought a combo lock, but the numbers were so small I couldn't read them at night and had to wear my readers around my neck whenever I wanted to work the numbers. Finally...a combo lock with BIG numbers!
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.
dragonpilot

Postby geospyder » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:33 am

Bounce530 wrote:Im more concerned about all the lights and crap that I put on my bike walking off more then the bike it self.

I know the feeling. My head light and tail light snap/slide off so I have no problem with them. Actually the headlight becomes a good flashlight. I have a five foot combo wire/lock so I think the bike itself may be safe. It's the el-wire I have wrapped around the frame that bothers me. I'm a virgin so I have no idea what to really expect. Some what off subject but it was mentioned to use a tennis ball on the kick stand so that bike stays upright. Does that work OK?
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby Bounce530 » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 am

I did put a tennis ball on my kickstand, and wrapped it with duct tape so it didn't moopify, it kept my bike upright all week.
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Backup lighting for bike

Postby DoctorIknow » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:47 am

Bounce530 wrote:Im more concerned about all the lights and crap that I put on my bike walking off more then the bike it self.

Lights walk off, get lost when removed from bike, die.... even non-removable light systems are not fail safe... so I found this system (posted in a new thread) which looks like a great backup:

viewtopic.php?p=483660#483660
DoctorIknow

Postby gyre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:56 am

Use a hoop lock for theft prevention.
Use a cable to stop convenience theft.
The smaller cables do not resist cutting.
Key locks deal with dust better than combination locks, my opinion.

I have used the masterlock Python cable locks on the playa and they held up.
Convenient to adjust tension on them and cinch down coats, etc.
They can be looped through both wheels with a 6 foot cable.

NOTICE- The usa line is totally different in quality from the chinese walmart versions.
I use the usa versions.

For real security, use a a hoop lock, padlock and chain.
Masterlock has at least two hoop locks, one being much heavier.
American sells the premium line of masterlocks.
Some are identical, some unique to american.
They also carry handcuff style locks for bikes.

Masterlock sells chain in lengths.
Abus will do custom lengths from 6 mm to 14 mm (+1/2").
We tested the 6mm and it is extremely tough.
I would use this over most cables for cut resistance.
Use the 12mm for generators.

There are combination locks designed for vision impairment that may be handy.

For one hand use, the european style frame mounted locks that clamp the rear wheel will do it.
Opinions vary on quality.

A frame mounted alarm can be keyed one handed too.
And there are padlocks that are remote operated like a car alarm.
gyre

Postby Thecatman » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:26 pm

The one I use is damn similar to the combination lock Absolut Jeenyus posted. Most times I don't bother locking it. I put the two ends together making it appear to be locked but don't move the combo dials. If I do accutually lock it, I move one dial one notch. Unfortunatlly the numbers on mine are starting to wear off. You also might use WD-40 or some kind of penetrating oil on the lock as the playa dust will attack locks as well. :wink: The oil I use on the lock is the as I use on my bike chain. Daily! if not more. Either 2 in 1 oil or Pyroil penetrating oil made by Valvoline.
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Playa Tom » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:25 pm

Has anyone ever lost a bike that was locked - even with some cheapass lock- at Burning Man?
Playa Tom

Postby gyre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:47 pm

Yes.
I hear mostly about more expensive bikes.

But a set of chinese 14' cutters go right through cables.
There are some very heavy specialty cable locks from Abus that may be more effective.

Standard 80 grade lifting chain can be cut in 3/8' with 24" cutters, though with difficulty.
The Abus is hardened to +62 rockwell.

Cheap locks are, well cheap.

The shrouded masterlock padlocks and security chain and/or the heavy hoop lock will slow a serious thief enough for him to bugger off on the playa.
Much cheaper than some of the esoteric stuff in bike shops, just as good as most.

FYI- The markup in bicycle and motorcycle shops on locks is staggering.
gyre

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:40 pm

[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1205442/Theres-fishy-pictures-Either-genetic-engineerings-got-way-hand-someones-Photoshop-.html]If it's mainly the expensive bikes, well, here I go being a tower of compassion and all, but those bikes are totally ruined for riding off-playa anyway, so they wont be all that missed.

eplaya is still monsterously slow, so I'm surfing the web while it loads. If I find something I like, I'll post a link.[/url]
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby gyre » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:52 pm

I know many that use their primary bike on playa.
They clean and maintain when they get home.
gyre

Postby seantildawn » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:33 pm

In 2001, on the night of the burn, I met some girls at around 3am in Center Camp. Later, one of them was tired and wanted to go back to her camp so I volunteered to walk her back. She grabbed her bike off the rack and we left. When I went to their camp the next morning to say goodbye, they were packing up and all worried about something. It was the bike Jenny walked back with me. It was not hers. It was a black 26" mountain bike alright but not the cheap one she arrived with. It was some sick full suspension Gary Fisher job. What to do?

I figured keep it. There was no intent to steal and back then, if you tossed it back, it's gone to the next person but not the real owner.

She still owns it and rides it to this day.

Don't bring expensive bikes to the playa. If you must, lock it up. Not everyone is a thief and bikes look similar at 4am in the dust. Bikes are so cheap, there is no excuse to bring your everyday one.
seantildawn

Postby gaminwench » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:39 pm

decorate your ride so its individuality shines, 'plain' bikes are easy to confuse in the dusty darkness...
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Postby Oldguy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:50 pm

Rationalization is the first tool of a thief. " I deserve a bike so I'm taking THIS one." If it's worth a hundred bucks it's grand theft, a felony, if you conspired in the theft, you (my friend) are also a felon. Even if you aren't caught this time, you've got some bad karma about you. You know this, it compells you to confess. You knew it was wrong but you did not stop it. She stole the bike, it was not her's. It was dark and I was drunk is not an excuse. Prisons are full of " innocent " people, I know first hand. I am an ex-con. You can't con a con, (my friend).

Good fences and good locks makes good neighbors.
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby wedeliver » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:10 am

seantildawn wrote:In 2001, on the night of the burn, I met some girls at around 3am in Center Camp. Later, one of them was tired and wanted to go back to her camp so I volunteered to walk her back. She grabbed her bike off the rack and we left. When I went to their camp the next morning to say goodbye, they were packing up and all worried about something. It was the bike Jenny walked back with me. It was not hers. It was a black 26" mountain bike alright but not the cheap one she arrived with. It was some sick full suspension Gary Fisher job. What to do?

I figured keep it. There was no intent to steal and back then, if you tossed it back, it's gone to the next person but not the real owner.

She still owns it and rides it to this day.

Don't bring expensive bikes to the playa. If you must, lock it up. Not everyone is a thief and bikes look similar at 4am in the dust. Bikes are so cheap, there is no excuse to bring your everyday one.

You are a thief. You should have taken it back to where you stole it from and left it there so the owner could have found it.

Please do not come to Burning Man.

and, and, Your thief friend Jenny left her bike there for the crews to have to clean up.. her "cheap one". People like you and your friend make burning man not so fun for others with your thoughtless actions.

Now send me $400.00 for my bike you stole.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby klondike_bar » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:08 am

Oldguy wrote:If it's worth a hundred bucks it's grand theft.

:| not exactly. grand theft involves a minimum stolen property value of a GRAND (1000$).

100$ falls more in the "petty theft" category.

however, i agree that if you mistakingly borrow someone elses bike, you return it ASAP to where you found it, or to the centercamp
klondike_bar

Postby wedeliver » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:44 am

I think a mistake is when I offer you a lite beer instead of a regular one.

How can you take someones bike by mistake? Don't we all have identifiing features that make every bike unique.

Also in Nevada theft is a felony when over $250.00.

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Postby Oldguy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:26 pm

Thank you for the clarification. I was incorrect. I really am a freaking old man...:

"NRS 205.0835 Penalties.

1. Unless a greater penalty is imposed by a specific statute and unless the provisions of NRS 205.08345 apply under the circumstances, a person who commits theft in violation of any provision of NRS 205.0821 to 205.0835, inclusive, shall be punished pursuant to the provisions of this section.

2. If the value of the property or services involved in the theft is less than $250, the person who committed the theft is guilty of a misdemeanor.

3. If the value of the property or services involved in the theft is $250 or more but less than $2,500, the person who committed the theft is guilty of a category C felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130.

4. If the value of the property or services involved in the theft is $2,500 or more, the person who committed the theft is guilty of a category B felony and shall be punished by imprisonment in the state prison for a minimum term of not less than 1 year and a maximum term of not more than 10 years, and by a fine of not more than $10,000.

5. In addition to any other penalty, the court shall order the person who committed the theft to pay restitution.

(Added to NRS by 1989, 1205; A 1995, 1216; 1997, 340; 2007, 683)"

A custom mountain bike would most probably be worth more than 250 bucks. All my bikes are now each worth at least 252 bucks.

I was just thinking about the old days in Nevada. If you tried to steal a man's ride (horse) the owner could shot you dead and noone would say a word. It was a matter of life and death back then. But that was then and this is now...too bad. And 100 bucks was a lot of money...
Image current moon
Burning Man is an exercise—indeed, a challenge—in balancing cooperation, self-reliance, individual expression, and creative collaboration in the formation of an artistic community. E. Britannica
Oldguy

Camp Name: Monkey Business Annex of Banana Camp

Postby geospyder » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Oldguy - presumming you are over 60 - then how about this for a spin (no pun intended). By stealing our ( yes, I'm over 60) bikes the thief is forcing us to walk. Thus the term abuse comes into play. In Nevada certain crimes against the elderly (over 60) have enhanced sentencing - twice the normal sentence. Don't mess with us old guys!
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.
geospyder

Camp Name: Somewhere in Hushville

Postby brcprincess » Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:12 am

It's funny how it's so easy to lock your bike during the day... and so damn complicated to unlock it at 4am..
brcprincess

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks