Gifting question

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Gifting question

Postby Sandwichman » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:08 pm

Well my question is simple. I am one of the most unartistic people on the planet but I am a dj and a muscian. I was wondering how well recieved CD's are as gifts on the playa. I am only planning on leaving an email address as I love pen-pals. So let me know is this considered one of the acceptable forms of gifting or is it kind of taken as an effortless gift? I really want to be able to gift from my heart. Thanks

Sandwichman
oonsa oonsa for your feets click here
Sandwichman

Postby PantzookaHQ » Fri Feb 27, 2004 2:22 pm

We'd prefer you give pants to the pantless however its our stance that other than cd's being used as coasters we think your talent is music and you should go with it. Give out CD's why not, its from the heart you go with it!
Providing pants to the pantless.
PantzookaHQ

Postby que.f.o. » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:39 am

One of my most treasured gifts is a CD from Camp Cherry, year 2002. It"s a great compilation of genres, most relating to burning shit. Raises my spirits everytime I'm missing home.
Is it time to Burn yet?
que.f.o.

Postby Booker » Sat Feb 28, 2004 7:47 am

Who ya gonna give it to? What would that person appreciate that you can create? There's your answer.

You don't need to be handing out objects like you're Santa Clause or something, though. Create a nifty experience for people, and you're on the giving end of the famous gift economy. Or volunteer with the greeters or the rangers or earth guardians. Hell, the Org needs volunteer help all year. Go on down and help 'em shovel piles of ticket envelopes. Lots of ways to channel that wanna-give-from-the-heart energy.
Booker

Postby LeChatNoir » Sat Feb 28, 2004 9:52 am

Personally, I think that’s a good idea... giving CD’s that is. Especially if you happen to be spinning some of the same stuff on the playa. That way it could be a reminder of the time spent there anytime you listen. I feel that any gift from the heart is a gift worth receiving. Whether it’s a large, intricate piece or a necklace made from strands of yarn, if it’s got heart I would be flattered.

And as for the "unartistic" thing, you should check out this thread.

viewtopic.php?t=2220&highlight=artists+born
LeChatNoir

OH YEAH!!!!........

Postby Last Real Burner » Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:40 pm

Where's my Fucking Gift?Image
Last Real Burner

Postby Iago » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:00 pm

Hey Last Real Burner I love your emoticon <sfm-bitch.gif> Fuck gifts, what a fucking waste of time, I bring a couple of trinkets to get started and just give away what ever I get to the next giftee. Only go home with one or two items that I don't have to remember who I got them from. Being there is gift enough for me, Bah, Humbug!!! I don't need no stinkin' gifts to love you. I either do or I don't. Your smile is the greatest gift ever and you have no control over that....
Iago

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: I Camp Remember

Postby Dork » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:09 pm

Sounds like a great idea. Offer them to people who complement you while you're spinning or when the mood strikes you. Put your email address on the label. They should be in some sort of a protective case that's convenient for the recipient to carry back to their camp. Those thin plastic clamshell ones are great.

I'd love to get a CD to listen to on the drive home and later on to remind me of the Playa.
Dork

Postby _tears_ » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:23 pm

I love the idea.

--tears

Tears 2003, 2004

The Ties That Bind Me Hold My Soul
_tears_

Hey! I just look beautiful....

Postby Last Real Burner » Wed Apr 14, 2004 8:15 am

Thanks Iago, I got a million of 'um.

But on topic, you know it would be a great idea to gift the cd of my book to people. Hell the cost for cds now is like what? a nickle? I was thinking about wooden nickles with a pic of the man on the reverse, or handmade wire sculpters of the man.

seriously,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby griffin » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:17 pm

I made about 30 copies of an original music CD last year, and actually gifted about 20. I only gave them to people when I felt the time was right. I somewhat agree with Iago, I hate people just walking up and giving me some totally sensless gift. Last year a neighbor gave me some marinated steak. Now that's a gift. But a postcard that you printed using photoshop? Just because? It's a time and place thing. If I meantioned that I was into graphic design, or the wizard of oz, the postcards would be appreciated. But don't give them to me just because that's what you brought to gift. That is meaningless. How 'bout giving the gift of letting somebody use the JOTS that is behind you in line at 4am.
----------------------------
yesterday was unique
today was the same
----------------------------
www.cypresslounge.com
griffin

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Hey griffin,

do you have any of your tunes online?

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Tiara » Thu Apr 15, 2004 5:55 pm

I like receiving CDs of original music or compilations. I listen to them on the drive home from the playa.
Tiara

Postby Tancorix » Thu Apr 15, 2004 8:23 pm

Not all gifts have to be extravagant. Sometimes it's a matter of sharing what you have with you at the time someone else needs it. Like sunscreen, extra water way out past the man, or even garlic filled olives like Tiara got me hooked on when I run into her in center camp. My point is while CD's and such are very cool, don't overlook small gifts and acts of kindness.
Tancorix

Postby shitmouse » Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:12 pm

... and alcohol.
it is also a thing of timing; one year i gave a guy a nice bottle of wine for blasting me with a cool shower of water riding my bike by; and the guy looked at me like i was giving him some sort of meaningless bottle of poison. -(when i was riding off, he then saw it was still sealed and not a joke, and actually a decent bottle of spanish wine, and then got that surprised and happy look on his face). --- it could have been gifted better really. too over the top for that scenario.

but alcohol does make a nice gift, be it a mixed drink and a few minutes of conversation, or a bottle for someone special, or just a freakin beer.
it gets good smiles.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby actiongrl » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:11 pm

I would love it if someone would tell people though that spraying me with water without asking is not a gift. I find it so utterly annoying that I will actually lose my temper over it (not something that happens to me often!) First, I may not have wanted it, and second, that $2000 staff radio strapped to my belt is a rental, and the deposit's on my credit card.
actiongrl

Postby actiongrl » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:13 pm

Oh, and that said, a CD for someone you're talking to is a great gift. I've gotten several that I liked over the years. I agree though, running around handing any gift to random strangers without a bit of context is not really helping the gift to manifest its intended purpose. And when people have come up without conversation and tried to hand me little bits of plastic from Oriental Trading Company, I have been known to politely refuse.
actiongrl

Postby PurpleKoosh » Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:19 pm

actiongrl wrote:I would love it if someone would tell people though that spraying me with water without asking is not a gift.

Having been non-consensually dosed that way outside a Dead show once (a mild one, thank god, but still), I can't agree more.
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

misting as gifting

Postby SilkenTofu » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:13 pm

most of the times I was misted... I was asked before they misted. This almost always seemed to be waiting in line for ice. It was always welcomed and appreciated...still doesn't beat a water truck. I wish they has those going down my street in the morning.
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....
SilkenTofu

Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Apr 22, 2004 4:01 pm

PurpleKoosh wrote:
actiongrl wrote:I would love it if someone would tell people though that spraying me with water without asking is not a gift.

Having been non-consensually dosed that way outside a Dead show once (a mild one, thank god, but still), I can't agree more.
My Sweetie had the same experience at the decompression last year. From what he's said there are a definate group of people who will do that to the medics as stand-ins for real authority figures. Not cute.
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Badger » Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:18 pm

Personally, I can't think of a quicker way of 'gifting' someone an ambulance ride.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Re: Gifting question

Postby marnen » Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:17 pm

Sandwichman wrote:Well my question is simple. I am one of the most unartistic people on the planet but I am a dj and a muscian.

Well, then you're not inartistic. Music is an art too!

--Marnen
(overtrained musician geek)
marnen

Postby III » Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:44 pm

>> dj and a muscian

nicely phrased...
III

Postby shitmouse » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:04 pm

"I would love it if someone would tell people though that spraying me with water without asking is not a gift. I find it so utterly annoying that I will actually lose my temper over it (not something that happens to me often!) First, I may not have wanted it, and second, that $2000 staff radio strapped to my belt is a rental, and the deposit's on my credit card."

- yeah, i forgot to mention i was presented with the option to be "blasted" or not.

nothing better than to be blasted by some cliche' hippy trick that could end up wrecking things. -( i have 'live' wires on my playa cruiser)...
also, it *is * BM so enter -(your personal credit) at your own risk.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Postby Badger » Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:33 pm

"I would love it if someone would tell people though that spraying me with water without asking is not a gift. I find it so utterly annoying that I will actually lose my temper over it

Shitmouse, dude, counter the love by gifting with a spritz of diesel fuel.

There's never enough diesel love.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby shitmouse » Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:44 am

good idea badger.
good idea.

sorry for my off comment actiongirl. grumpy evening.
-b
=-=-= \<>/ =-=-=
shitmouse

Gifts and sprays

Postby Honey » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:26 am

One of my favorite gifts from the playa is a home spun disc from an artist by the name of Toby. As others have said, it's a great taste of home.

If anyone knows Toby from Canada please let me know. Thanks Honey....
Honey

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 24, 2004 10:49 am

Dutch gin or Polish vodka over ice, and keep your souvenirs for Disneyland.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Getting Hosed

Postby Honey » Sat Apr 24, 2004 11:27 am

Actiongrl;
If by getting sprayed by a water truck is what your refering to, I would like to say something on behalf of the truck operators. First off I know that there are assholes out there that blast people and piss them off. There is no excuse for this behavior and I dont blame anyone for losing there temper and sounding off. Thats the only way some people get the message!!!
I have operated water trucks on the playa a few times and I would like to share my perspective with you. About once or twice a day we catch shit for getting something wet. Most of the time we did not see what the spray hit because were in a tight spot with people, bikes, ect and where the
trucks wheels are is what were looking at. When a camp or crowd runs out to the road for a blast of water we dont always have time to see radios and cameras. We do are best to not get bitchtd at or piss anyone off but as long as the permit says dust control, theres going to be water trucks
spraying stuff. Please dont fuck up an operators day over an accidental "gift". We get enough shit over things like gitting cars wet or lamp post that sit out all year. And I cant forget tents! If you dont have insurance on a camera or whatever put it in a ziplock.
Love, Honey..................
Honey

Postby Bob » Sat Apr 24, 2004 12:37 pm

The water truck drivers are the hardest working people during the event, without a doubt.

I think people are talking more about the numbnuts who run up to you and insist on spritzing the sunscreen off your face with an old Windex bottle full of recycled ice-cooler water.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks