skin

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

skin

Postby naken » Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:02 am

03 was my second burn,i spent hours bike riding in the buff.i got some sun poisoning on my arms this year,even with good sun block.i need to remember to wash the block off an reapply in the early afternoon.good lotion at nite is also soothing
enjoy
naken

Postby precipitate » Thu Feb 19, 2004 6:50 pm

Why would you wash it off before reapplying?

You should also be reapplying more than once during the day, if you're in
direct sunlight. Once every couple-three hours, especially if you have fair
skin.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby Sobretta Franjipan » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:11 pm

I agree, don't wash it off. I bring Hawaiin Tropic Oil (SPF 15) and use it as a moisturizer (on top of, in conjuction with my multitude of SPF 30's and 45's). I have a theory that the sunblock builds up over time (as you are NOT washing it off) leaving one with superior sunblock action. I am a fair skinned redhead and have not had problems with sunburn even braving midday heat and long ass bike rides. You have to be absolutely diligent with reapplying it (I do it whenever I remember) and applying it BEFORE it's needed. Have somebody help you with your back, don't forget your neck/tops of feet. It is also an essential in my "to go kit" as, no, you never really come back "in a minute".
Sobretta Franjipan

Postby Eric » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:10 pm

Sobretta Franjipan wrote:I agree, don't wash it off.

As yet another pasty redhead, let me say I agree as well.
I only washed off my sunblock once (love that mid-week shower!), and just kept adding layers of SPF 50 to my pale skin.

I came home with just some light color, not even the tiniest blush of sunburn. Of course- I wasn't naked. Light pants & short sleeve shirts (and a hat) during the day. Nasty sun. *Blech*
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby awibs » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:40 am

What spf and how many reapplications daily would you reccommend for someone who doesn't really burn... ever? I have deep olive skin that has literally never burned with or without sunscreen..... I realize, of course, that the playa would burn me if I wore *no* sunscreen, but I'm not sure how much is enough. I have some oil-free spf 17 floating around, and I was wondering how much higher I have to go. I strongly prefer moisturizers with an spf of 15-30 instead of "sunscreen" proper b/c they are much less greasy and smell much better.... is that enough? Would a higher spf greasy-arse sunscreen mean less reapplications? I have problems remembering to do such things as reapply because... well.. like I said, I've never burnt. I don't want this to be my first time, of course..... And does anyone know of a sunscreen that doesn't have that obnoxious "sunscreen" smell?
breathe deep seek peace
-----------------------------
"Share water, darlings!"
awibs

Postby unjonharley » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:53 am

I broke down on the way home. It was the middle of the night when help arrived. They had not seen me in over two weeks. They said: What did you do to your hair? It had bleached out to all white. I just started to work on a good tan this week. Get an even tan before going. The burn is easyer to control. Tops of feet are important. They burn quitly.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.
unjonharley

whee!

Postby DancingTofu » Fri Apr 30, 2004 12:27 am

I just discovered a very spiffy sunscreen! It's not greasy creamy white streaky, it's a gel - like that alcohol hand sanitizer. It goes on fast, and the alcohol is nice and cooling as it dries. The smell doesn't hang around long, either. I was putting it on, just imagining how blissful it will be on the playa....

I could only find it in SPF 30, but perhaps it's out there in other strengths. It's... coppertone sport brand, I believe. A blue bottle, anyway.

Oh, and don't get it in your eyes. That wasn't the most fun thing I've done recently.

Tchuss!
DancingTofu

sunblock

Postby Icepack » Fri Apr 30, 2004 5:58 am

I can't remember the brand name, but I saw an ad on tv last night that was for a sunblock that is SPF 50. I think it was called "Spectra 3" or something like that. Sounds like the strongest stuff I've seen so far.
Icepack

Postby Alpha » Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:43 am

My wife and I wore SPF 50 when we went to Africa while taking doxycycline (which hightens your sensitivity to the sun) for malaria. We had to get it from a pharmacy, though no prescription is required.
Alpha

Postby Ivy » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:06 am

Banana Boat makes a waterproof, sweatproof, SPF 50 sunscreen available most anydrug/deptartment stores, sometimes you can even find it at Big!Lots. I've used it th past few years and it's always worked well (when i remember to put it on).
Ivy

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks