Valves

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Valves

Postby Rider » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:56 am

I am looking for a valve to use on my Flamethrower / Fire Belcher Volcano, any help would be approached. I would like a 12 volt valve about ½ inch.
Rider

Postby Dustdevil » Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:32 pm

What pressure does this valve have to handle? Also, what volume are you needing to flow? And what fuel are you going to handle through the valve?
Oh, and does the valve need to be normally open or closed? Does the response time matter?
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

valve

Postby Rider » Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:53 am

Pressure 150 lbs, would be from a normal propane tank. Volume? Don’t know, 1/2" to 3/4 " pipe, but, enough to make a fireball about 10' +. The fuel will be propane. The valve should be normally closed. Valve response time, the valve should be fast, 1/10 second?
Rider

Postby Dustdevil » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:59 am

I beleive I have a good valve for you. The part # is nt-rs101. It is made by Mark Nye of Nyethermodynamics. He is Canada. Type Mark Nye into your browser and the first thing that comes up is link to his site. He is the creator of the ghoulie burner and other such jet powered devices. I use several of these valves on "El Diablo". They are not just a two way dump valve. They have a return to tank port that opens before the flow stops so you dead-head the feed lines. They will handle up to 2000 psi of pressure and are 12 volt. He was willing to share his knowledge with me during the construction of my project, unlike many of the jet people I encountered during construction. He is very busy so response time to email questions can take a day or two.I use these valves to control the streak fire controls on "El Diablo" as well as a safety backup for the main Afterburner Unit. I hope this helps.
Dustdevil

Postby Dustdevil » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:19 am

You might also try Extreme Valves. We use these in various race car applications. They have a wide variety of valves that will handle hydrocarbon fuels and very good prices. www.xtremevalves.com
Happy Hunting.
Dustdevil

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks