virgin going alone

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

virgin going alone

Postby iamtonynyc » Tue Jan 06, 2004 11:50 am

hey all, going to bm for the first time alone. im flying into reno & renting a minivan.

a bit about me. im a straight male 33y.o.(dont look my age and dont act it). i recently moved from chicago to new york city(where i didnt know a soul) to persue dreams of being able to support myself solely on my music. i play guitar. im also creative in the respects of decorating(tattooing) my body w/ my own orignal art. im a great cook & resourceful. im very easy to be around & respectful and i wouldnt ever hit on someone elses girl friend or wife. i have a day job so dont let the music thing scare you, i wouldnt be mooching food, water ect. iv'e done quite a bit of research about bm & the survival, and a day shelter is KEY. i have no problem purchasing or making my own, but i live in the heart of new york city & ther's nowhere to set up a shelter & see if its sufficent. plus i want to make this a new experience and make new friends, so i am hoping that i would be able to hook up w/ a group of laid back folks w/ a day shelter. ill have my own tent for the night. i understand that it can be costly for the shelters so I WOULD BE WILLING TO PICK AND DROP OFF AS MANY AS I COULD FIT IN THE MINIVAN FROM THE AIRPORT OR WHERE EVER(which i have already reserved)contribute cash, food, or i would be willing to fetch the ice every morning.

i realize this is alot to ask because the dynamics of a group of individauls is somewhat of a personal thing, so i promise to add to it and enhance your time at bm. im in no way a free loader, or a boring stick in the mud, you'll probably get a kick out of me. (id bet you'd want me back next year). so if anyone wants to adopt me, please do.
Last edited by iamtonynyc on Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
iamtonynyc

Postby Release Me » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:02 pm

Hey iamtonynyc,

I'm currently based here in Reno, so if you need a pivot man here let me know. This will be my fourth Burn and my experences just get better and better. As far as my camp goes...it's a little early in the game (or rather I've yet to figure out my own situation), but regardless, let me know if I can help.
Release Me

Postby iamtonynyc » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:27 pm

thanks. whats a pivot man?
iamtonynyc

Postby Release Me » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:32 pm

A metaphoric give and go. Some advice may able to make a smoother transition from your "pivot" in Reno to final destination in the Black Rock Desert.
Release Me

Postby iamtonynyc » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:35 pm

sweet. any help will be greatly appreciated and will not go unrewarded :!:
iamtonynyc

Postby NaughtySnowAngel » Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:51 pm

I can't help in any way, as it is my first burn and I will be "mooching" some camp space with a friend and their group.....but I did however wanted to say Welcome! Glad to have you! I am a Chicago transplant myself, now in Saint Louis.....New York City is an awesome place, grew up in Philadelphia and had many wonderful trips into the big apple! Imerse yourself and before you know it you will have plenty of new friends!

You sound like you have it all planned out for '04, but if you have any questions or need anything let me know! I will help in any way I can!
I like your plan of flying and renting a mini van....I am going to be a brave soul and have one hect of a road trip! 1800 miles each way and one hell of a week lay over!
NaughtySnowAngel

All for one and one for all...

Postby Last Real Burner » Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:13 pm

greetings earthling, iamtonynyc,

I see a lot of other firsttimers here who, like you are looking to hook up with others with a camp. Why don't you guys get together agree to meet at the Reno Burning man Hostil ride out to the burn together and camp. You do seem to at least have one thing in common. There must be easy 20 people who do not have camps, that way you, and they won't be alone. You're own little Solo Collective. Start a thread in the Theme Camps section, and then point others who you think would be interested. Eventually starting your own Yahoo group/website to stay up to date. It has been done like that for many years. Be sure to lay down some ground rules ie. have your ticket by such and such date. etcetera, etcetera, etcetera. I'm sure your camp will fill up in no time.

just a thought,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Postby dj_john69 » Thu Jan 08, 2004 4:12 am

dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Apex

Postby stlouisguy1188 » Mon Jan 12, 2004 8:43 pm

hey all...another Burning Virgin here. Just started researching/planning...but I'm definately going. I'm in St. Louis (originally Orlando) and would love to meet new folks. I'm willing to chip in whatever is necessary.

p.s. SnowAngel...just sent you a message. Hope you are still going. By the way, I drove from St. Louis to Park City, UT 10 yrs. ago w/my best bud...we had such a good time that we still re-tell each other stories from the trip whenever we get together now. Can't wait to make some new great memories.

Regards...stlouisguy1188 at yahoo dot com.
stlouisguy1188

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks