Who was that masked man?....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Who was that masked man?....

Postby Rendrag » Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:08 am

<never been to BM, plan on going this year>

In looking over the numerous photos of BM on this site and countless others, I've noticed very few people wear masks as part of their costume. Is this observation accurate? Is there something about life on the playa that makes wearing a mask ill-advised? Or is part of participating in BRC being able to come face-to-face with fellow citizens?

The reason I'm asking is one of the costumes I'm thinking of bringing involves a large rubber mask.
Rendrag

Postby Whelp » Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:03 pm

The only reason that I can think of is that the playa tends to be fairly hot, which would make wearing a mask during the day rather uncomfortable. Hell, even my goggles tend to get unpleasant if I keep them on my head for too long, so I can imagine what a mask must feel like. Just as a warning, rubber doesn't feel too good during daylight hours; it breathes poorly, and is pretty sticky. You might want to save that mask for when the sun goes down. If it covers your ears, it might even be a blessing to have something like that after dark; the nights can get mighty cold.

Hope that helps.

- Whelp
Whelp

Postby bushonk » Fri Jan 02, 2004 1:34 pm

I wore a mask... though it was more as a belt than a traditional mask. Hey, it worked pretty well for keeping the hot sun off my nether regions... :oops:
bushonk

Masks and other Joys

Postby Clint Kaster » Fri Jan 09, 2004 9:59 am

Mask considerations, other than heat and cold, include the diminished ability to see where you're going -- certain areas of the city exist under looser Pershing County building codes (hence the presence of both Pershing and Washoe County sheriffs) and as such are not liable for exposed rebar, tent ropes and variances in setbacks from the roads. Several years ago a friend wearing a Mexican wrestling mask (and perhaps a bit high on life) rode his bicycle directly over an unmarked pile of lumber with, thankfully, no serious consequence. But it could have bummed his week horribly. Nothing like falling on rebar to put a crimp in your style!

Visibility on the playa is one of the key elements to anything you wear -- always carry a light source at night and note that while LED's make YOU visible to others, they don't do such a great job at projecting a beam of light that really illuminates. One art project two years ago consisted of windswept Australian eucalyptus trees mounted on a burn platform in some particular shape. The jagged tree branch ends wound up at about head height and there was no light or warning -- during a mild dust movement (no real wind, just drifting powder) I rode into the installation and nearly impaled myself on said branches. Don't override your headlamp!

I haven't seen much in the way of masks either but they certainly do get used and I can recall a lot of saucy, sexy folk wearing nothing but masks. Most of the masks around our camp tend to be handmade -- a lot of the fire dancers have built headgear for their routines incorporating animistic or fire elements. Depends where you go and what the vibe is -- who are you today? Just try to incorporate some safety (lighting) and your own vision needs into the outfit.
Clint Kaster

Re: Masks and other Joys

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Fri Jan 09, 2004 10:06 am

Clint Kaster wrote:Visibility on the playa is one of the key elements to anything you wear -- always carry a light source at night. . . . Just try to incorporate some safety (lighting) and your own vision needs into the outfit.

Cannot emphasize the lighting enough. There are cars (art, service vehicles) driving at night, sometimes even above the 5 MPH speed limit. You want them to see your fabulousness.
BlueBirdPoof

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks