BM Virgins from Atlanta, Georgia

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Preparations

Postby vic » Sat Dec 20, 2003 7:37 pm

Mike, With your intensity and skills you could probably leave Alabama empty handed and pick up enough stuff along the side of the road to have a fully equiped camp by the time you reach BRC. On the other hand, the planning and preparation are a lot of fun in themselves, as has already been stated.
But from what you have posted here, it looks like you are neglecting some important dimensions of preparation. You might want to pay more attention to the psychological part of your preparations.
Burning Man is a consciousness expanding experience and you will want to be open to new experience. This might mean less focus on your camp and more interest in what else is happening. Also, you need to consider the effect of Burning Man on your camp mates, which can be profound. They will change in ways that may or may not be predictable.
Some things to consider:
How will you be participating in gifting?
What kind of costumes will you bring?
What would you like to get from the event?
BM is like a convention for counter-culture organizers & planners. The are hundreds of us out there and you are going to want to meet some and see their work.
One more point to consider - no matter how committed they are now, it is likely that some of your camp mates will not make it to the event. Things come up and plans change. Be ready for that also.
vic

Postby 68barracuda » Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:59 pm

Vic,

Actually we will be leaving out of Georgia not Alabama but you're right I am a "preparationalist" yet another word for survivalist but the term is so in vogue now a days. The driver for my intensity is more a personal quest for improvement of my methods and technics. This environment called Burning Man is so far outside my comfort zone but as my tag line states, you never know where your limits are until you push them. This will be my first BM and if I start to focus to much on the mind altering consciousness I'll talk myself right out of going. I don't want that to happen. My potential camp mates are more into the scene of BM than I am but everything is a matter of degrees. My focus is to provide transportation, shelter, water use and disposal, and a working support system. I've posted a few ideas here trying to help my camp mates come up with ideas by bouncing them off the folks here.

Gifting.. I've been thinking about that myself and I just deleted a post that I was writing earlier because I really don't know what to offer. If I do offer a "gift" I have this need for it to be something useful and not some stupid trinket. Life sustaining gifts of water and food came to mind. Also physical gifts of comfort like a warm shower or foot soaking are likely to be appreciated. Then I thought of gifts that the recipient can take home with him or her like a headlamp to light their way along the dark streets of Black Rock City or handmade string sandals, both are inexpensive but very useful.

Costumes.. It all really depends if we decide on some theme or follow the 04 theme with our own interpretation, of course. We've been talking about putting together the "Trip the Light Fantastic" bar/lounge manned by the Neon Warriors. So urban black/grey/white night camo looks pretty cool under black lights. Or maybe I can stitch up some funky neon colored Ninja outfits. But its up to the rest of the group to help pick a theme.

What I want out of Burning Man.. Nothing.. I'm not going to BM with any preconcieved notions so I'll have very few expectations. Admittedly, I hope to make some new friends and to learn more about myself.

I know that things change and the best plans can crumble in an instant. But my goal is to make everything simple and well organized so that if only three out of the nine interested parties actually go then most stuff can be setup and run at a minimium. The relief is there will be less to plan for, build, test, and haul out to BM.

Mike
Unless you push your limits how will you ever know where they are?

welcome to my lair.. said the spider to the fly...
68barracuda

Sink or Swim...I'll Float if you don't mind..

Postby Last Real Burner » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:15 am

The upside is you have plenty of time to decide and lock things down. You've got 200+ days left.

remindingly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Gifting

Postby vic » Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:34 am

Mike, I thought you mentioned Auburn, that's why I thought you were in Alabama.
The gifting thing is more about the giving than the gift. A string of cheap plastic beads can be more meaningful than a fancy flash light if given in the right way.
I spent some time in a barter bar this year and I watched a number of "gifts" exchanged for drinks. The most memorable was a guy who shot flames off the ends of his fingers. Talk about style.
Providing showers for camp visitors is a great idea, particularly later in the week. Only a few camps provide this much valued service.
In any case, burners will give you many gifts and will work hard for months to provide amazing art as a gift to the community. You will be inspired to reciprocate in many ways, both large and small.
vic

Postby precipitate » Sun Dec 21, 2003 6:34 pm

> Life sustaining gifts of water and food came to mind.

Well, you'll have enough water to gift entire showers if you so choose.
People will *love* you for that.

> A string of cheap plastic beads can be more meaningful than a fancy
> flash light if given in the right way.

Well, sorta. In that case, it's nothing to do with the gift but with the
experience, and in general you don't absolutely require the physical
exchange of items in order for the experience to be meaningful. In my
experience, of course.

When it comes to gifting, I tend to recommend to people who've never
been that they hold off and see what the experience is all about before
they run off to Oriental Trading for anything other than blinky rings, which
make even my hippieraverhating ass happy.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby 68barracuda » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:56 pm

Gifting is truely a personal thing done between two people. That is my understanding on how things go. I have no intention of setting up a public shower even if some people thing I'm bringing enough water to do so :lol: The point I was trying to make with useful gifts is for the item to mean something either at the time of giving or in the future. But again.. what do I know..

Mike

68barracuda

Supplies

Postby Oreally? » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:05 pm

On da dome...
Paint only the ends. Too much paint just flakes off.
We could not afford the super duper sunblocker silver tarps, so we doubled up less expensive heavy duty silver tarps. It was ~15 degrees cooler in the dome than out.

Potties...
Forget the black water. The port-potties are well maintained and you get to watch others do the poopie-dance. Instead, are you ready? Pee funnels for girls and boys. And...only clear water (if you really can piss clear). Save the pee-cans for the pies.

Shower...
Just get a sun shower bag. Less pressure=less wasted water.

Construction...Deconstruction...
As most boyz know, getting it up ain't hard, it's getting down. Last year's dust devils kicked our butts (newbie to 7 year vets). The last thing you want to do on your final day is tear down a 3,000 ft2 mansion when you could've found home in a studio.

Less is more...
Going home always reminds me of how little I really need. Don't go out and spend your valuable resources (time & $$) when you could spend that time with friends and loved ones both on and off the Playa.

Good luck...
O.
Oreally?

Postby Badger » Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:11 pm

I'd say that's pretty good advice.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Chai Guy » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:08 pm

Very Good Advice

Every year I bring less and less "stuff" and every year I enjoy myself more (of course the benefit of previous experiences allows me to know exactly which stuff is essential and which is extraneous).
Chai Guy

Postby enthropic » Mon Dec 22, 2003 9:21 pm

strang Q for who. Did you bring a Radio Flyer?
Knothing is seperate. Everything is One.
Illusion blinds us. Understanding is enlightenment.
James
enthropic

Postby 68barracuda » Tue Dec 23, 2003 7:45 pm

The points made for "less is more" have been taken in consideration but as you can tell I'm not interested in a minimalist's approach. I'm also not interested in doing it like everybody else and thats the point I'm trying to make. I thought the Burning Man experience was an experiment in creativity not complacency. If it were what would be the point?

Mike

68barracuda

dihydrogen oxide

Postby Jenn_BigPuffyYellowCamp » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:27 am

cuda, our theme camp of 50 people brought 300 one gallon jugs of water, the one gallon ones can be handled easily for showers and one kept in a personal tent for refilling etc. we buy the water in reno and put it on our 24 foot rental truck. alot of our gear is staged at a friends in reno already but we do serious damage at the reno walmart store before driving the two hours out to the desert. we have two propane burners and two five gallon tanks for cooking. bring long stakes for tents like the gi surplus ice stakes and if u must use rebar bend it in two, so many people rip their toes on exposed rebar. goggles are a must and artsy ones at that, bring extra scarfs to breath thru or masks, and bring extra cotton socks and boots with covered toes, bring lemon juice or vinegar to wash the caustic playa dust from ur skin before it burns holes in it. bring lots of lip baum and extras for gifts, bring trading/batering things, money is useless., we also brought a 260 watt pa system with live microphones this year, and we were connected to a power grid :) in addition to our two gens, remember there are several live underground broadcasts on radio at BM, mostly bring a good attitude and drink twice as much water as alcohol . Our camp was also blessed with a shower this year , thx wendel:)
Big Puffy Yellow Camp
a Burning Man theme camp
www.bigpuffyyellow.com
Jenn_BigPuffyYellowCamp

minimalist approach

Postby Jenn_BigPuffyYellowCamp » Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:39 am

one guy showed up at the front gate naked with a ticket riding his bicycle, altho its not recommended
Big Puffy Yellow Camp
a Burning Man theme camp
www.bigpuffyyellow.com
Jenn_BigPuffyYellowCamp

Postby Bob » Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:34 am

Little surprise seeing BorgMart(s) endorsed on the Burning Man website w/o a Green Party-type nondisclaimer from Larry: we're not sure where he stands on the ACLU, much less the UFCW.

Anyhoe, ya'll stock up on Skynyrd CDs for gifting, here?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby 68barracuda » Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:52 pm

Jenn_BPYC,

Thanks for the good information and the suggestions will be added to our items to bring. Especially the vinegar and lemon juice. You mentioned you stage your camp from Reno how do you get out there?

Mike

68barracuda

Makin it happen

Postby Jenn_BigPuffyYellowCamp » Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:28 pm

Hiya Mike:

We have two big groups, one from dallas,tx, one from charlotte, nc, some drive, most fly into reno and meet up with our friend and get the rental truck, then shop and pack and hit it. If u fly, volunteer to get bumped on your return flight for free tickets and night over in reno :)
Big Puffy Yellow Camp
a Burning Man theme camp
www.bigpuffyyellow.com
Jenn_BigPuffyYellowCamp

Postby 68barracuda » Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:40 pm

Jenn,

We have a small group that will be traveling out of the Atlanta area with a one driving in from Colorado, another from Wyoming, and a pair that will fly from Atlanta and possibly another pair flying in from Mass. We'll be using a bus and trailer to transport our gear and equipment and prior to entry into Reno we'll stop in for fresh produce, perishables, and the bulk of our water. The folks that fly into Reno will be picking up their own drinking water, special foods, and other items that might have been forgotten. We'll likely fill up the bus with fuel and 5 gallon gas cans for the generator, art car, and other fuel guzzlers at one of Reno's truck stop.

Mike

68barracuda

Postby spaceboy » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:01 pm

First: 'Cuda, big props on being ultra prepared. You've got the right energy. I have so much respect for that!

Second: Dude, take a deeeeep breath. Exhale. Repeat. As has been said lots before, even with all of your planning, something will go wrong and/or not get done. Not only are the wind, heat, possible rain, dust, altitude adjustment, travel fatigue (I travel from N Carolina, trust me, you'll be beat), flakiness/laziness and camp in-fighting a factor, but you gotta understand; there is so much to see & do out there. You (and maybe your buddies) may be too distracted/overstimulated to tack up 100 'biners to a dome. Your fantastic dicipline may be challenged when the most beautiful naked girl rides by on an art car with a bed on top. Or you might get distracted by that black metal motorcyle parked next door spewing 80' flameballs out its exhaust.

Third: If you are on track with building and your friends "just have to see where that noise is coming from" and take off across the playa, don't fret. There will be a bunch of other burners nearby to help you erect your structures, ready and willing.

Fourth: Welcome to Burning Man.
--spaceboy--
Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we die!
spaceboy

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks