What sort of things are good for gifting?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: What sort of things are good for gifting?

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:07 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
Simon of the Playa wrote:
cigarettes are always a great gift for those that are in need

if you buy a carton and then hand out single cigarettes on saturday, you WILL be a God / Goddess...

hand out marlboros, and you may even see grown men weep.

I bring 10 packs of clove cigarettes every burn. I lovvvvvvvve smoking them while *intoxicated.. and inevitably, there is someone downwind every 30 minutes or so that seeks me out and rushes up to me.. "Are you smoking a CLOVE??"

"Why.. yes.. would you like one?"

*eyes roll back in their head*

I HAVE DONE THIS. :lol: (I don't smoke, although I won't refuse a clove once a year).

I have also toted around Nat Sherman's Fantasia cigarettes, because when I'm dressed head to foot as Hunter S. Thompson, my cigarette must be pink.

Gotta keep it feminine when I'm staggering around muttering profanities.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby wh..sh » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:07 pm

On a healthier note, last year, someone gifted me T'ai Chi DVD (instructed by his late wife).

After my friend accidently took it with her, the DVD has travelled half way across the world and has come back to me.
I never thought of learning T'ai Chi, but I see this as *cough* a sign from the universe.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:09 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:
cigarettes are always a great gift for those that are in need

if you buy a carton and then hand out single cigarettes on saturday, you WILL be a God / Goddess...

hand out marlboros, and you may even see grown men weep.

You learned that in the big house?

Necklaces are much better than mere (MOOP) trinkets, especially if they come with cord. :)
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Sham » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:20 pm

I will only gift out something that I would REALLY want to get myself. I bring fist fulls of bike locks to pass out to those who forgot. I just love, love, love when someone asks how much? (I usually extract a cheap hug)
Sham

Postby greenharlequin » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:35 pm

I was planning on bringing a lot of Mardi Gras necklaces to hand out. Is that too MOOPish? I know how excited I was to get and wear my first few strands, I thought other people might feel the same. Also, people could add the to costumes, get in spirit, etc. However, I also don't want to contribute to a bunch of junk either like I know can happen with them. Thoughts?
greenharlequin

Burning Since: 2012

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:41 pm

Mari Gras beads are generally frowned on, I know I politely refuse them if somebody tries to give them to me.
They are just moopy plastic with no connection to the event, other then "hey, here's some beads"
What other people think about you is none of your business.
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby CornMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:42 pm

I'm hoping to get 500-1000 buttons made with our camp radio station logo.

The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Undecided » Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:58 pm

Those would be cool buttons.
Chris (Undecided) | 2011 Dusty B'Owl | 2012 Sparklepony Express | Soundcloud
Undecided

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:17 pm

greenharlequin wrote:I was planning on bringing a lot of Mardi Gras necklaces to hand out. Is that too MOOPish? I know how excited I was to get and wear my first few strands, I thought other people might feel the same. Also, people could add the to costumes, get in spirit, etc. However, I also don't want to contribute to a bunch of junk either like I know can happen with them. Thoughts?

That's a tough one, greenharlequin. Welcome to ePlaya, by the way.

If you really adore Mardi Gras beads and want to give them, aim for like-minded people. If I were wearing a pink spangled outfit and someone gave me pink beads, I might really like it. One doesn't see pink beads every day, and it would be clearly chosen for me. My first year, I didn't bring a whole lot of costumes, which was painful for a clotheshorse. :) I wouldn't have said no, I certainly wouldn't let them become MOOP. A few folks might, though. Still others might decline, and that's fair too.

However, if you are thinking of Mardi Gras beads in large part because they are cheap, and you can give them to the greatest number of people--and you're worried you will be caught empty-handed and have no other inspirations--reconsider this choice. You don't have to gift everyone. You might instead gift a much smaller number of people something more personal, or something more needed (even if it's small). If you're wandering and you share your whiskey because you're having a fascinating conversation, that's still a gift. If you give someone with cracked lips a new lip balm, that's a great gift. If you help someone struggling to set up a tent, that's a gift.

Give because it seems right, or you have what somebody needs, or because you connect with someone specifically.

(It'll be easier once you're there.)

Savannah

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:20 pm

And if you don't bring mardi gras beads, someone else will. There will be more mardi gras beads than people who want them.

Although, there are some really cool mardi-gras type beads in the shape of fish. Those are cool. Tautologically cool.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:15 pm

Great and easy material gifts are functional ones.

- lighters! Keep a huge stash of cheapies in your bag if you smoke. When someone asks you for a light, give them the entire lighter.

- MIXERS FOR THE BARS. Keep your gut rot vodka. Bring a flat or two of red bull or a few extra gallon jugs of Gatorade and gift it to your local bar on Thursday.

- rolling papers. Always keep a stash.. even if you don't smoke.

- cheapie LED flashlights

- etc

Think functional. Think random needs that you yourself would be stoked as hell on if someone produced for you in your time of need.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:24 pm

junglesmacks wrote:- MIXERS FOR THE BARS. Keep your gut rot vodka. Bring a flat or two of red bull or a few extra gallon jugs of Gatorade and gift it to your local bar on Thursday.

Ff you have a way of keeping them frozen (or mostly frozen) until Thursday, lemonade or limeade concentrate make great mixers for bars. They're small, there's minimal waste packaging, it makes a decent quantity, and alcoholic lemonade is near heaven by that time of the week.

Cranberry juice is good (get the real Oceanspray stuff- the Kirkland shit tastes like... shit). Basically, if you'd want to drink someone else will too, no matter how weird it is.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Savannah » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:50 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:And if you don't bring mardi gras beads, someone else will. There will be more mardi gras beads than people who want them.

Although, there are some really cool mardi-gras type beads in the shape of fish. Those are cool. Tautologically cool.

I do have a string of Mardi Gras beads with lobsters on, and I love them. :)

Savannah

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:23 pm

First and last time I gifted anything, I gave a friend of mine a box of pubic hair. A gal in our camp was shaving all comers, and I remembered my friend said he needed something that *looked* like pubic hair to decorate some sort of vagina throne on wheels, so what better than the real thing?

Never expected to top that, so I didn't. Fuck all ya'll's gifts!
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CornMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:31 pm

Bob wrote: Fuck all ya'll's gifts!

Ah bah humbug!
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby Bob » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Zeke Chaparral wrote:

Ah bah humbug!

Thanks for inspiring my latest sigline.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby CornMan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:58 pm

Bob wrote:
Zeke Chaparral wrote:

Ah bah humbug!

Thanks for inspiring my latest sigline.

You better watch it Scrooge, or you'll get a new playa name out of all this.
Never mind the weather
Your holiday's forever
CornMan

Postby BBadger » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:09 pm

junglesmacks wrote:- lighters! Keep a huge stash of cheapies in your bag if you smoke. When someone asks you for a light, give them the entire lighter.

Shit yo', you're reading my mind. Even some pretty nice and cool lighters are cheap from places like DealExtreme. Make sure you fill them with some quality gas before handing them out since they have to empty them beforehand.

- MIXERS FOR THE BARS. Keep your gut rot vodka. Bring a flat or two of red bull or a few extra gallon jugs of Gatorade and gift it to your local bar on Thursday.

Yeah, everyone has so much extra hard liquor while the mixers get used up quick.

- cheapie LED flashlights

May favorite, well, until Thursday when it is no longer fun and charming to give lights to the (dark) 'tards.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:06 am

Eric wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:- MIXERS FOR THE BARS. Keep your gut rot vodka. Bring a flat or two of red bull or a few extra gallon jugs of Gatorade and gift it to your local bar on Thursday.

Ff you have a way of keeping them frozen (or mostly frozen) until Thursday, lemonade or limeade concentrate make great mixers for bars. They're small, there's minimal waste packaging, it makes a decent quantity, and alcoholic lemonade is near heaven by that time of the week.

Cranberry juice is good (get the real Oceanspray stuff- the Kirkland shit tastes like... shit). Basically, if you'd want to drink someone else will too, no matter how weird it is.

You know Eric.. I was in Sam's Club yesterday looking at the huge containers of instant lemonade and Kool-Aid.. and was thinking about getting one of those and gifting it along with like 5 - 1 gallon jugs of water to a few bars. Seems like a decent way to get juice out there in quantity. Only down side is the bar having to mix together powdered mix and water. Thoughts?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Postby greenharlequin » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:36 am

I already have tons of beads, perhaps I'll only bring a smaller collection of the more out of the ordinary ones. If nothing else I suppose they could be tent decoration for me. :) You have, however, given me a good idea. I think I may bring a large bag or two of fresh limes. They can be used for juice, margaritas, as beer or drink toppers, or used in cooking. They won't go bad so if not many people want them I'll have all the limeade I can drink when I get home. Thanks everyone!
greenharlequin

Burning Since: 2012

Postby jcliff » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:03 am

greenharlequin wrote:I already have tons of beads, perhaps I'll only bring a smaller collection of the more out of the ordinary ones. If nothing else I suppose they could be tent decoration for me. :) You have, however, given me a good idea. I think I may bring a large bag or two of fresh limes. They can be used for juice, margaritas, as beer or drink toppers, or used in cooking. They won't go bad so if not many people want them I'll have all the limeade I can drink when I get home. Thanks everyone!

Limes are a great idea! Bars will love you!
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby Savannah » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:23 am

Mmm, limes. :shock:

Yes, bars will love you, but so will passersby.

Ask in this thread below if anyone has experience with keeping limes nice. You might also simply be able to extrapolate some general advice about keeping produce fresh. Dry and cool helps. (i.e., not in your tent.)

HARDY Produce for the Playa?
viewtopic.php?t=55748&p=838458

Savannah

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:50 am

junglesmacks wrote:You know Eric.. I was in Sam's Club yesterday looking at the huge containers of instant lemonade and Kool-Aid.. and was thinking about getting one of those and gifting it along with like 5 - 1 gallon jugs of water to a few bars.

It really depends on the bar. Kool-Aid can make a good punch, but see if it's the kind that has sugar in it already. Most of it needs huge quantities added, which I doubt most bars will have brought along unless they were already making it. Same goes for the instant lemonade (with the personal note that I think that stuff tastes awful; however, since I'm the person who brings bottles & bottles of organic Santa Cruz lemon & lime 'ades I may not be the best judge...)

I like the concentrates as they're "ready to go": dump them in a container, add a little water if you want (but you don't have to), add booze, consume.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:56 am

the best thing you can give to someone on the playa is a nice clean sanchez.

it's so much better than a dirty one.
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby wh..sh » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:04 pm

My plan is to carry/gift pairs of cheap gloves (handy thermal gloves).
I saw way too many people freeze their ass last year, including myself.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby ygmir » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 pm

"reacharound camp"?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Canoe » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:06 pm

Savannah wrote:
greenharlequin wrote:I was planning on bringing a lot of Mardi Gras necklaces to hand out. Is that too MOOPish? I know how excited I was to get and wear my first few strands, I thought other people might feel the same. Also, people could add the to costumes, get in spirit, etc. However, I also don't want to contribute to a bunch of junk either like I know can happen with them. Thoughts?

... You don't have to gift everyone.

You might instead gift a much smaller number of people something more personal, or something more needed (even if it's small). If you're wandering and you share your whiskey because you're having a fascinating conversation, that's still a gift. If you give someone with cracked lips a new lip balm, that's a great gift. If you help someone struggling to set up a tent, that's a gift.
Give because it seems right, or you have what somebody needs, or because you connect with someone specifically.

BIG plus to that advice.

You don't need to bring something for "tradesies" or to gift back in return.
Gifts are given freely with no expectation in return, or it's not a gift.

Don't take it personally if someone says "No thanks" to something they don't want, or don't want to take home.

Simple Gift: thank someone for what they did or are doing. Or compliment their costume, hat, (or their collection of Mardi Gras necklaces?), or any thing that they put effort in to.

Hugs are usually good.
I got hundreds of hugs.
I remember them and three of the gifts I got.
One of which was from a couple who didn't need/want what I was gifting, but wanted to gift me because they liked what I was doing.
And one abrupt determinedly delivered handshake from a young man. He was at the end of the line and had watched a dozen or so people of various genders hug me; he was so scared I was going to expect a hug.
Odd. No bears to watch in the dump. Oh well, lets go across the road & pick blueberries.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby ranger magnum » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:11 pm

In 07 an experienced massage therapist taught me how to give hand and foot massages. So I went out each night and gifted massages that year.

That was the year the man burned on Tuesday. So we went to the crew who were rebuilding the man, and massaged them. By the end of the event, my hands were so sore I could hardly close them.
Praise the Lowered
ranger magnum

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Camp Yonder/Ottoman Empire

Postby percussivepaul » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Last year at the Temple Burn a friend was approached by the fellow sitting next to her. He told her that he had brought only one gift to the event, to give to only one person, and that he had decided to give it to her. He presented her with an amazing, beautiful set of Tarot Cards.

The most memorable gifts I've been given in four burns:
- Hot scrambled eggs
- Hot steak sandwich
- A Playa name
- A beautiful pendant necklace
- A purification with burning sage
- Hugs and other personal connections
- Bacon
percussivepaul

Postby kalouts1 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:25 pm

I'll bring socks and tooth floss to give.......nothing fancy, but efficient.
kalouts1

Previous

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks