What sort of things are good for gifting?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Postby DoriumLux » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:41 pm

If you are going to give, try to give something that won't be as likely land in a landfill after the Burn such as glow sticks or face masks. It's really easy to go to the fabric stores and find cool fabric to make into face bandannas.
DoriumLux

Postby DoriumLux » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:45 pm

KestrelSF wrote:My first year, I ended up bringing lots more shit paper than I could possibly use for some reason. The last day there wasn't a single sheet to be found anywhere. As I stood in queue for the potty, people started eying my shit paper. Like it was gold. I started to stroke it and say 'my precious'. When I returned later with an armful of rolls I was insta-hero.

Hope that shitter paper was fit for the porta potties.
DoriumLux

Postby JassenB » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Based on many things I've read around the web, I'm actually considering picking up a couple hundred pairs of brand new socks and gifting those. Seems like clean socks are a blessing come Friday and Saturday.
JassenB

Postby phil » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:43 pm

Socks are excellent! If you don't give them all to burners, check with DPW and see if they're accepting socks when you leave.
phil

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:10 pm

Socks. Pfah!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby KestrelSF » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:18 pm

DoriumLux wrote:
KestrelSF wrote:My first year, I ended up bringing lots more shit paper than I could possibly use for some reason. The last day there wasn't a single sheet to be found anywhere. As I stood in queue for the potty, people started eying my shit paper. Like it was gold. I started to stroke it and say 'my precious'. When I returned later with an armful of rolls I was insta-hero.

Blah, I don't bother with the 4 ply perfumed up quilted and embroidered stuff even at home .. I'm wiping my arse, it don't need to be pretty!
KestrelSF

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Paradise Motel

Postby DoriumLux » Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:15 pm

KestrelSF wrote:
DoriumLux wrote:

Blah, I don't bother with the 4 ply perfumed up quilted and embroidered stuff even at home .. I'm wiping my arse, it don't need to be pretty!

No, I mean that you shouldn't be putting regular toilet paper in the porta potties. The potties cant handle it. It clogs the pumps when they are cleaned out and that ISN'T a good thing. It's highly advised that if you are going to be bringing your own potty paper that you buy something fit for RV toilets. Regular toilet paper, tampons, tissues, and other misc. is a no-no. Don't make those guys jobs any harder than it already is.
DoriumLux

Postby Toolmaker » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:05 am

bandanas
zippo lighters
multi tools
knives
Toolmaker

Postby TD-2441 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:29 pm

AKAparttime wrote:Coming from the UK,(Walnut whips & Surburt fountons would be high on my, list....

Walnut whips would melt in about 15 seconds, Sherbert Fountains hmmm possibly but they will no doubt leak all over my luggage :D

Not bought the glowsticks yet, but I hear a lot of the drinks camps would appreciate little cocktail gizmos - brollies? Glace cherries?

I think I'll just bring Haribo and lots of bandanas.....but yeah I figured loo roll would be a top currency!
Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441, http://www.tk2441.co.uk
No longer a Burner Virgin - coming back Home in 2013 ;)
TD-2441

Postby phil » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:15 pm

> but yeah I figured loo roll would be a top currency!

Seriously, it has to be RV toilet paper - single ply that will dissolve in water in a few seconds. Normal commercial toilet paper doesn't dissolve, and it clogs the hoses on the trucks that come in and suck out all the sewage.
phil

Postby robotland » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:00 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Socks. Pfah!

...or, "thumbless mittens".
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby phil » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:57 pm

Face paint!

People love to get their face painted.

phil

Postby steveboy » Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:30 pm

Though I had mixed feelings about bringing anything that came in a small plastic tube, last year I brought a lot of sample-sized sunblocs and gave them out. They seemed to be appreciated.
steveboy

Postby cablemonkey » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:26 am

perhaps think about what you would like people to give to you, and shop with that in mind.

I would suggest function over novelty or fashion. Blinky toys are cool and fun, but a flashlight is infinitely more useful.

Glowsticks to de-darkwadify people at night are almost always welcome.
cablemonkey

Postby TD-2441 » Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:47 am

Right this is what I'm bringing

A smile
Hair bands for the girls (and maybe boys!) cos they always slip out of your ponytail then you find you've not got a spare
Rizlas
Roll-up filter inserts (optional of course :wink:)
Haribo in "fun size" bags
Dust masks
Bandanas I'm making myself
Glowsticks (for me at night but will have spares)

And that's it 8) All useful stuff I hope :D
Imperial Sandtrooper TD-2441, http://www.tk2441.co.uk
No longer a Burner Virgin - coming back Home in 2013 ;)
TD-2441

Postby Elliot » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:33 pm

:D
Garbage bags, for all the stuff that other people "gift" and throw out.

Two good messages in that one! My two-cents-worth is to avoid trinkets and nick-nacks. And definitely avoid things that leave debris behind, like wrapped candy.

The gift that I'm most hoping to receive -- music. No, not the recorded /electric stuff. YOU playing an instrument.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby ygmir » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:08 pm

I don't know if this is the right thread, so, sorry if I'm off base.......

I'm thinking of bringing a bucket of nickels, putting it on a tripod and having a sign something like:

MONEY:
IF you need some, take some,

If you have extra, leave some......

and see what's in there at the end.........

Kind of a gift, I'd think?..
If there is anything, I'd donate to charity, of course.....

Also,
would it be ok to take into the deep playa to set up? Do I need some sort of permission?
Any feedback appreciated........

thanks,
Ygmir
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 am

ygmir wrote:I don't know if this is the right thread, so, sorry if I'm off base.......

I'm thinking of bringing a bucket of nickels, putting it on a tripod and having a sign something like:

MONEY:
IF you need some, take some,

If you have extra, leave some......

and see what's in there at the end.........

Kind of a gift, I'd think?..
If there is anything, I'd donate to charity, of course.....

Also,
would it be ok to take into the deep playa to set up? Do I need some sort of permission?
Any feedback appreciated........

thanks,
Ygmir

I think that fucker will be empty of change and filled with cig butts and whippet canisters. Maybe there will be a half smoked joint if yer lucky.
Toolmaker

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:24 am

you may well be right, but, who knows? I think it'll be interesting to see..........

Does anyone know if there's a "rule" about putting it out on the playa with the art?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby skibear » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:55 am

TM
you could add to the sign:
"A Nickel For a Clue"

:wink:
skibear

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:03 pm

ygmir wrote:you may well be right, but, who knows? I think it'll be interesting to see..........

Does anyone know if there's a "rule" about putting it out on the playa with the art?

You can pretty much just set it up; make sure it will not blow away or create MOOP, and it needs some type of light at night. Up against the trash fence may be good, up against other people's art, not so much.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby dr.placebo » Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:18 pm

Kindness.

There's never too much, it never goes to waste, and someone out there is in desperate need.
dr.placebo

Postby Elliot » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:28 pm

dr.placebo wrote:Kindness.

There's never too much, it never goes to waste, and someone out there is in desperate need.

Amen.
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:51 pm

AntiM wrote:
ygmir wrote:you may well be right, but, who knows? I think it'll be interesting to see..........

You can pretty much just set it up; make sure it will not blow away or create MOOP, and it needs some type of light at night. Up against the trash fence may be good, up against other people's art, not so much.

Thanks for the info, AntiM.....
The light thing:
I'm guessing some sort of solar garden light might be ok?.......
I'm going to make a tripod from rebar, and, hang the bucket underneath, like an old fashioned cook pot, or, the Salvation Army thing........
does it have to be painted brightly, too?
It won't be huge, maybe 4 or 5 feet high.......
It should be heavy enough, and not much sail, being a bucket full of nickels, and, rebar......with a wide based tripod.

Or, if anyone had a spot that was lit out on the playa that would agree for me to put it near for lighting purposes.......

Sorry for all the questions, I'm new to this......

and, any input is appreciated.

Ygmir
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:07 pm

Three solar lights, one at each foot, and one at the apex should work. You don't want it to be a hazard to bikes and MVs at night. The beauty of solar lights is they turn on by themselves. Just check it daily to dust it off and have a spare light in case one fails or wanders off.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Elliot » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:09 pm

I keep thinking that Art Installations out on the Playa are supposed to be registered with and placed by the BM organizers. I may be wrong. But you might want to read a bit more on www.burningman.com -- look for information about Art Installations and words to that effect.

And money in general is an iffy topic, since Burning Man is supposed to be a community where money does not exist -- with a couple of exceptions. Seems to me, the only people who would drop off any money in your bucket, would be those who make a point of returning to the bucket with money they normally leave packed away in their camp.

I like your "social experiment" angle, but would hate to see it twarted by failure to learn the correct way to do it.

ImageImageImage
Elliot

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:10 pm

So those solar garden lights would be ok?
do they last most all night?
I'm thinking 4 total, then?

I'm still debating in deep playa or in front of our camp.........it might be fun to watch what goes on with it.....but, a treat, perhaps, to happen upon while wandering the playa looking for treasure........

Thanks for the info, again.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby AntiM » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:32 pm

Some solar lights are better than others, you have to experiment. I know, running out of time. Of course in front of the camp would be easiest, a trial run perhaps, and deep playa next year.

Most people don't carry money. Perhaps swag? I've done leave a gift and take a gift, always interesting. That's basically what my Home for Wayward Art is.

No, you don' t have to be registered to place art out on the playa. You just have to follow a few simple guidelines ... secure, no MOOP, lights, not in the road or interfering with other art. Being placed means you get a spot on the map. The year I did Five Minutes After, I was placed at 12:05, and was #69 on the map. It was fun, but I could have hauled it out to the ass end of the playa and set it up.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby ygmir » Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:52 pm

I think part of it for me is that not many carry money out there.....
will it drive them to go get some and leave it for others?
will some, devoid of funds and needing a few bucks see it as the end of the rainbow?
will a turd dump it on the ground and kick it all over?
Will some other turd take it all and leave an empty cup in it's place?
Perhaps a person needs gas, and, has a cool necklace, and feels like they need to leave it, and, perhaps a person sees that necklace and so loves it they'd trade their watch......

who knows, who cares, it seems, possibly, quite interesting, though........

thanks for the input.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby phil » Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:00 pm

I haven't looked for awhile, but Reno drugstores used to sell sunblock in colors and with glitter.
Here's a photo of a guy rubbing sunblock on another Burner:
and here's a result:

Louise and I give away pin-on buttons that we order from Dr. Don's, and we've also started buying stickers from him:
Obligatory flickr link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/civex/2388299945/
where you can see a larger image.

Ben Nye also sells make up, latex and 3-D make up effects, fantasy and glitter make ups, and a ton more stuff:
http://www.wyb.com/makeup.html

See our page at
http://www.cieux.com/bm/2dTime.html
for more ideas.
phil

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks