burning bonfire barrel?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

burning bonfire barrel?

Postby Para » Fri Nov 28, 2003 12:53 pm

call me nuts or jsut call me from oklahoma...... you ever see the tops cut off of 50 gal drums? and used as a burning pit? okay maby ive been around one to many rednecks.... however a idea i had was to get a 50 gal drun and haul into the garrage get the welding torch out and cut off the top oh lets say 25% then use the cut 25% and create a bottom for the barrel so the hot surface wont come in contact with the ground floor so you do not get those oh so unlovely burn marks? just wondering and also i could get a pan of some sort to fit into it and create a grill..... ooooooooo grilled mushrooms :P so do you think good idea or bad or need modifycation?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
" its five o clock somewhere"
" where are we going? why am i in this hand basket"
Para

Postby Kinetic II » Fri Nov 28, 2003 1:37 pm

Para, I've got several of the barrels you described but the logistics of hauling them 1600 miles from OK to BRC would be a little daunting for most people. And remember BRC practices LNT: Leave No Trace....if you bring it in you have to take it out, ash included.

I'm not sure if firebarrels are allowed. I will have to take a look at the online guides but I thought they were not allowed unless the org provides them and steps have been taken to prevent burn scars.

I hate to be negative but I'd reconsider this idea. Think about something lighter, easier to handle...your going to take a lot of the same route to BRC that I do and hauling that stuff over the mountains is no fun. And you want to enjoy the event and not be worried about all the extra stuff.

Another consideration...you would have to anchor that barrel down against very high winds, and if it rains it would be a muddy mucky mess.

I'll step back and let others add to this but I'd leave the fire barrels at home.
Kinetic II

Postby Ivy » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:42 pm

I don't know the details of how they were made, but we've had burn barrels in our camp every year I've been there. So have other camps I've known/visited. All the ones I've had experience with have been tres cool, too: all welded with cut-out designs and camp names and what not.

I do know that all the one's I've seen have had legs so they didn't sit on the playa. and people have always hauled out all the ashes and everything from them. Never seen one with a grill, but that doesn't mean it's never happened.
Ivy

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Fri Nov 28, 2003 2:53 pm

"Burn barrels are restricted to the Esplanade, the pedestrian boulevard at the front of our city, Villages, Center Camp, and the two Plazas at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock. All structures must be 50 feet from any burn barrel." From
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... ities.html

'55 gallon steel drum "burn barrels" with legs, staked
down against high winds, will be provided for some theme camps on the Esplanade. Groups receiving these will be asked to monitor their use and help with their clean up.' From
http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... scars.html

So, it looks like the idea is so old that it's been outlawed. On the other hand Fire (Fighters) Camp didn't get our ('official') burn barrels until Monday, Tuesday or so, and it took multiple trips out to the DPW depot to remind them we were waiting and to find out what was going on. (Unattached feet.) Which leads me to a question. Does this mean that there is room in DPW for an enterprising type, providing his own barrels, to help get them out faster? Or are they really stringent and only allow the DPW elect to create such animals?
BlueBirdPoof

Postby Ivy » Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:50 pm

"Burn barrels are restricted to the Esplanade, the pedestrian boulevard at the front of our city, Villages,

I feel i should note that the insatnces I mentioned previously were all villages. Just so we don't get beat up or anything. :)
Ivy

Postby Para » Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:16 am

okay good points every one and yeah the daunting task of hauling everything may as well be the hardest......and the leave no trace thing i agree with.... mabysomething smaller i guess back to the drawing board....
Para

Postby Kinetic II » Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:08 am

Don't let all of this discourage you. Burners are usually very resourceful and we find ways to meet the LNT ethic, the BLM rules and still have fun. I know this will be your first burn so I wanted to add some positive comments and keep your spirits up. You might not be able to haul a big burn barrel but you might be able to come up with something cooler looking and smaller! Who knows.
Kinetic II

Postby Para » Sun Nov 30, 2003 5:24 pm

aghhh you know the gears started cranking in my brain after i got off and i have another idea however i have to work out the kinks :D no worries ill post my idea as soon as the bugs have been worked out
Para

burn barrel

Postby SHARPER » Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:36 pm

Ok, now you will all find out what a truly redneck, trailertrash person I really am. We go camping/fishing a lot and we always like to have a firepit. Makes good story tellin to sit around the fire after a long day of resting and doing nothing. Anyhoo not a new idea - the inside drum of an old washing machine makes a really good barrel - make sure its an older one cause the new ones are made of plastic. To keep it up off the ground, go to a thrift store - find an old bar stool, the kind with four legs on the floor attached to a ring with one pole coing up the center. Remove the seat entirely and slide the washing machine drum down the pole. The bottom ring keeps the whole thing elevated. To make sure you catch any dropping ashes you can place the entire assembly on a sheet of plywood or extra large aluminum sheet. To empty, place large plastic bag over the top of the cooled barrel, invert said barrel and all the ashes and stuff will fall into the bag. (Idealy speaking that is) Point is a bit mute unless you are in a theme camp/village and can get a permit for a burn barrel but wanted to share anyway
Do not think of me as gone, I am with you still in each new dawn.
SHARPER

Postby Para » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:53 am

sharper hun... i live in oklahoma the south in a abyss of rednecks....that idea though was not that bad although if you would like me to share a few of my story with baleing wire and duct tape....... i know people who drive cars with parts held on soley by this stuff..... a friend once cracked a head gasket well if you know not much you can do about it so another person steps up and slaps a strip of duct tape on it yeah you guessed it you might be a red neck if....jeff foxworthy has NOTHING on a few people i know..... as for the washing machine barrel ( warsh if your down here) that does not sound like bad idea...... i just dont like the holes you know? and the plastic ones might be fun to watch melt
Para

Postby Skyhawk » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:19 am

yall dont be talk'in down to them there redneck. they some good people, shur nuff..

anyhow.. "burn barrels" are restricted, right? what about a "kettle" style grill? as long as your not burning maxi amounts of materials, it might do just fine, plus it come with a nice lid just in case the wind blows up. wouldnt want to ise it to really cook with if it was safly away from your shelters, dust and all. and for making a more intimate and lower to the ground set up (more stable as well) just trim down the 3 or 4 pole legs, flatten them over into feet (like building a conduit dome) and attach them (screws? secure and easy in and out) to an already staked down sheet of plywood, which will be double sure of leaving no trace and would help make a nice spot around the "kettle" usable.

just a thought.. because sometimes it just dosnt feel right to sit in a circle around a colman lamp.. but a fire.. albeit small and safe.. is a magical thing..

anyone have a better idea?
anyone have second thoughts about My idea?
and finally..
any official rule on this? remember, its not a burn barrel..
Skyhawk

Postby Skyhawk » Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:30 am

alrighty.. checking back on the big book of rules..
Camp fires are not permitted with the exception of designated public areas

but..
Commercially manufactured type cooking equipment (staked down in case of winds) is the only acceptable fire sources for cooking within camps

so something like This?
or a cheaper commercial version, with a lid, would be fine if it was staked down and safly located in your camp?
Skyhawk

bbq grills and coleman lamps

Postby SHARPER » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:22 am

ok, I have 3 coleman lamps one small coleman stove and one coleman stove that sets up to a height of 3 feet. You bring yours and I'll bring mine and we'll all sit around the coleman's and compare you might be a redneck if stories --- you might be a redneck if your working tv sits on top of your non working tv. You might be a BM redneck if your working tv on top of your non working tv is attached to your trailer park art car and you burn it all on the last night.
Do not think of me as gone, I am with you still in each new dawn.
SHARPER

Postby DangerMouse » Fri Dec 05, 2003 8:44 am

Skyhawk wrote:so something like This?
or a cheaper commercial version, with a lid, would be fine if it was staked down and safly located in your camp?

Um, no. The other issue is with high winds blowing cinders into someone's tent, etc.

You're best off going with an LP type stove. Yes, I know it doesn't taste the same, or give off the same amount of heat. However it keeps a sudden gust of wind from blowing hot ashes from an atteneded (or un attended) fire into someone else's camp, eyes, beer, or other inflammable objects.
DangerMouse

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Bacon Lube - The 8th Food Group

Postby Para » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:18 pm

trailer park art car now theres a idea! lol all we need is a granny sitting on rocking chair with a shot gun..... guns arent premited right? just checking if not paint ball gun maby or bow and arrows okay i got off track now well i was wanting to do something a tad more orriginal i do like the loos of that little one however well maby taller sides so the fire will be shelterd from wind and wanat about a elevated optional pan insert thing for BBQing? now i can really BBQ! thats what i want to do i figure a few nights out of the weak strike the grill up invite a few people and let a few walk in and grill away i do have partys over here by my back deck however the grill is a stone cemement one so if i were to take that back up the truck toss a few tow lines and step on it? NAgh! plus also me and my friends do like to gather and talk so i need a fire fire fire fire " fire good" lol okay back to the drawing board
what i do with my torch?
Para

Safety and an idea

Postby calsur » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:30 pm

Para,

One thing to consider about cutting barrels with a torch is what was in the barrel before it became empty. If it was anything flammable and you torch it, the results can be interesting as in "BOOM". This can happen even when you can not smell anything. The tops and bottoms of barrels are roll crimped on and can retain the product for years after being emptied.

If you continuously flush the barrel with an inert gas, I use nitrogen, you can cut the barrel safely.

Have you considered using a tub out of a washing machine? I have made several portable fire places using these tubs. They are great because of all the small holes in the side let plenty of air in and at the same time act as a spark arrester. Also because they are steel covered porcelain they last and are easy to clean. When the tub heats up, you get great heating out of them so you use less firewood. You need to add feet but if you can cut a barrel this should not be a problem If you can not find someone throwing out a washing machine you can generally buy one at a salvage yard for about 25 bucks.
calsur

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks