dehydrated/freeze dried food

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

dehydrated/freeze dried food

Postby J » Wed Sep 03, 2003 6:51 am

I'm going next year and want to know if anyone has any info on taking them. What works, what doesn't.
Is it worth tryi9ng or should I just scrap the idea?

J
J

Postby Remark » Wed Sep 03, 2003 9:59 am

Try eating it NOW for a week. Of course, cooking it on a camp stove. You'll be the expert and you can let me know.

You can stand anything for a meal or two (or you're hungry enough). See the MRE post on variety. Most folks have a comfort food or two, don't forget to bring that along.

Try all "menu plans" before you're in the middle of a desert.
Remark

Burning Since: 2001

Postby nodule » Sun Sep 07, 2003 10:26 am

I've found more than enough variety in this type of food to keep me happy, but I do bring more than I need, so I can have what I'm in the mood for, and not just what's left on the shelf.

Anything you can just add boiling water to is a quick easy way to stay fed. I like some of the instant potato cup things (sour cream & chive or bacon & honey), instant soups (corn chowder, hot & sour, whatever you like). There are some great Thai noodle things out there (similar to Raman, but much tastier). I just discovered a whole line of ready-to-eat indian food in foil packages (similar in design to MRE's). I like the vegatables in coconut milk and curied potatoes best, but there are lots of them. Just boil it in the package and whip up some minute rice to serve it on and you have pretty fine meal in 5 minutes.

Bringing the contents of a can to a boil is no more work (except for the cleanup).

You can find a lot of good ideas that will work for you by just searching the shelves in the grocery store. (Watch out for the add boiling water and then simmer for 20 minute stuff, though - who wants that kind of time commitment?)

I like to eat fairly well, but I don't like to put a lot of playa time into it.

Dan
nodule

Postby J » Sun Sep 07, 2003 3:49 pm

Thanks for the tips, but the one thing I'm truly curious about is cooking with dehydrated food. It's my fault I was vague.

I work at a book store and I've combed our system tryingto find books on the subject and there's nothing.

If anyone has any suppliers names (Canadian would be ideal) or cooking tips that would be great,

Thanks

J
J

Backpacking supply places

Postby Oubliet » Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:33 am

like MEC would have freeze-dried meals.

I've heard that they taste good, etc., etc., but they are pretty price-y.

If you want to experiment with making your own meals, drying them, and then sealing them in a Food-Saver wrap, there are resources on many backpacking sites online.
Oubliet

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Karma Chickens

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks