Jewish Burners?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Jewish Burners?

Postby Green Hexagon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:16 pm

Hey friends,
I have not yet been to Burning Man, though it's long been an ambition of mine. I'm finally in a financial position that makes it a possibility for this summer. However, after going to the NYC Decomp, I'm questioning whether or not it is the right move.
One thing that I'm exploring right now is Judiasm and I'm curious how this meshes with the Burning Man experience. For sure, there are probably thousands of Jewish burners, but the people I'm looking to talk to are those who are truly observant.
Meaning--do you observe Shabbat every week, no matter what? Do you study the weekly parshah? Do you do an Amidah every day, or at least every week? Most importantly, do you have a relationship with Hashem?
If you know what I'm talking about, please drop me a line.
Cheers,
Max
Green Hexagon

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:24 pm

Okay, I'm going to play stupid goyim (it's a role I'm qualified for) and ask some dumb questions.
Are you not going to go to Friday night burns or turn on a flashlight?

Okay, I guress I'm either stupider or not as stupid as I thought as that's my only questions.

there are a fair number of jews at the burn. Different levels of observation, or course. Some isralis as well.

Wait, another stupid question. You're going to be alright with women in various states of covered/uncoveredness. If not, we'll do our best to help you in an attitude adjustment by August, because having people freak out when we are being free (oh crap, did i really write that crap! I"m going to have to go to Hippie Re=education camp now) is bringing an energy that could interfere with others' burns--not cool.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Green Hexagon » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:35 pm

Uh, we're not really on the same page here. Yes, I personally would love to see naked people dancing in front of a fire on a Friday night. That has nothing to do with my question. I'm only asking if there are any practicing Jews please drop me a line. That's all, Mr. Cryptofishist.
Green Hexagon

Postby pinemom » Thu Nov 08, 2007 5:43 am

thats' Ms. Cryptofish
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby scotto » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:15 am

Green Hexagon wrote: I'm only asking if there are any practicing Jews please drop me a line.

Black Rock JCC
Do the green thing Jewish style--learn about tikkun olam/repairing the world and pursuing justice, dance, pray and learn. Friday night will be a veggie/milchic (fish ok)pot luck and ecstatic prayer.
Hometown: Oak Park, IL

From the 2007 Theme Camps List

Scotto
Burning Man is a Participatory Sport! Lead by Example!
scotto

Camp Name: PolyParadise

Re: Jewish Burners?

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:30 am

Green Hexagon wrote:I'm looking to talk to are those who are truly observant.

I may have assumed, as did Crypto, that "truly observant" meant "truly orthodox." So we can better respond to you, let us know a little better what you mean by that. I have met Jews, Mulisms, Christians, and probably folks from some relgions I never heard of.

If melting pot diversity and tolerance are your things then you should do just fine. As a first-timer you will be underwhelmed by the sex-n-drugs aspect (grossly over reported in the media) and totally blown away by the life-affirming art and creative spirit (something no media can totally convey accurately.) Well, individual results may vary, I suppose.

Good Luck, Inshalla, Mazletov
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:54 pm

No kidding - all the newbies that find out I do BM assume its a D&A / Sex fest. I see 100 times the people praying, or meditating than I see doing drugs.

I smell weed once in a while, but have yet to see anyone doing lines, or shooting up. I am sure it happens, but there arent people chasing you around with syringes.

BM is what you make it.

later
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:07 pm

I'm Jewish. I go every year. And I run a concentration camp. Think what you wish.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:53 pm

Dammnit, 007, haven't you seen the syringe marathon tag race yet?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.

theCryptofishist

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:54 pm

i always miss the syringe races, maybe 08'
mdmf007

Postby Green Hexagon » Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:27 am

To respond to those unclear about why I wrote this post, it's because I emerged from Decomp having lost a good deal of faith I have been slowly building up over the last year-and-a-half in what Jewish people call "Hashem," which literally means "The Name"--otherwise known as the Yud-Kei-Vav-Kei and pronounced "Adonai" in prayer.
Why that happened I can't exactly say, but I feel like I could emerge with the opposite result if I connect with some burners in advance who believe in this divine entity and practice daily mitzvot, which loosely means good deeds as defined by Hashem in the Torah.
To be sure, a truly orthodox Jew is probably not going to make it out to Burning Man, say like a 10 out of 10 on their level of observance. But someone who is about an 8 or 9 out of 10, certainly may. In any case, if you really believe in Hashem, even if you are a 1, please send me a private message.
Personally, I'd say I'm probably about a 4 out of 10 in my level of observance, and I would like to get higher so I can experience what it's all about. As far as sex & drugs go--that's something I personally need to make sense out of to see how they fit in the puzzle. As far as I know, there is no Jewish law that prohibits drug use as long as you keep it in perspective and don't start worshipping some mushroom-God or something of the sort (I actually know people who do, and I'm sure most of you do as well).
In any case, I like sex, I like dressing as a sex-God, I like psychoactive compounds, and I'm a fairly hedonistic person. Most of my friends when I was living in Boston were Burners. But there were a lot of things about Decomp that made me realize I need to get this faith-issue straight prior to making plans to go to the festival. I'd write more about that but I don't want this post to turn into a book.
Green Hexagon

Postby skygod » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:47 am

Two years ago I camped next to agroup of Israelis, only one of which had been to BM before, the rest had never even been to the US. I was amazed at their courage, since it was obvious many of them were overwhelmed. (One of them asked me"You people here do whatever you want?") I had a great time eating meals with them and going to their playa wedding.
It was fascinating watching them try to reconcile what they saw with their more constrained lifestyle. Their friendly and hospitable nature overcame their fears.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby Lassen Forge » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:19 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:I'm Jewish. I go every year. And I run a concentration camp. Think what you wish.

And we love ya for it! ))grins((

I wondered the same thing about Orthodox or Catholics? Like, well, where does one go for Mass on Sunday? Sing Vespers in the evening? Eh? Heck, if you were in a bad way, where would you find a priest to give you last rites?

Most people think that somehow BRC is not a spiritual space, when actually it is more spiritual than most places. As to following a specific doctrine, well... whatever you find in your local town of 50K, you'll find here, too.

Sus
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Clar-i-ty » Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:20 am

[quote="Dr. Pyro"]I'm Jewish. I go every year. And I run a concentration camp. Think what you wish.[/quote]

Oh how gleefully I giggled at this post!

Death to Barbie and all her evil ways!
GET OUT OF MY TRUCK HIPPIE!
Clar-i-ty

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: GET OFF MY LAWN!

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:15 pm

the man is circumcised.
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:16 pm

i'm quite certain the man is reformed...

at the temple burn there wasnt a single flaming yarmulke...NOT ONE I TELL YOU!
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Green Hexagon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:28 pm

that's funny
Green Hexagon

Jews on the Playa

Postby nocturnal_steve » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:23 pm

http://www.metatronics.net/burn/index2004.htm

As an hedonistic Schwartz tribe member , I camped with Jews myself a few years back. Included an orthodox camp-mate as well as reform rabbis. They held regular open to all Sabbath, and one former closet Jew guy rediscovered his roots and was bar mitzvah'd and circumsized at our camp. Those Jews weren't so bad. and I think Hashem had fun too.
Stay hydrated my friend.
nocturnal_steve

Burning Since: 1997

Re: Jews on the Playa

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Dec 25, 2007 2:47 pm

nocturnal_steve wrote: circumsized at our camp.
Wow. Amateur Surgery Camp might be okay. AT least until members are arrested for practising medicine without a liscence.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:25 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Wow. Amateur Surgery Camp might be okay. AT least until members are arrested for practising medicine without a liscence.

how much practice will they be needing?
unjonharley

Postby wedeliver » Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:46 am

theCryptofishist wrote:

I don't think you need to be a doctor to perform a circumcision actually a "Mohel" (remember Mel Brooks in Men in Tights, snip, snip) who is a person who is certified to be capable and knowledgeable in both the surgical aspects of performing circumcision as well as the traditional aspects of performing a kosher circumcision and the traditional ceremony, if not the father, is supposed to do it. Also is circumcision really medicine or scarification? (this debate is going on elsewhere)
I'm a topless shirtcocking yahoo hippie

www.eaglesnestrvpark.com
wedeliver

Burning Since: 1998

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:03 am

Religion as well as politics is for suckers!

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:20 pm

wedeliver wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

I don't think you need to be a doctor to perform a circumcision actually a "Mohel" (remember Mel Brooks in Men in Tights, snip, snip) who is a person who is certified to be capable and knowledgeable in both the surgical aspects of performing circumcision as well as the traditional aspects of performing a kosher circumcision and the traditional ceremony, if not the father, is supposed to do it.

According to this webpage http://www.ehow.com/how_2069881_become-mohel.html not only must you have a liscence and malpractise insurance, but you have to write a 3 page essay!

Although it is true you don't have to be a doctor.
The Lady with a Lamprey

theCryptofishist

Postby Box Burner » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:36 pm

jewish Burners.

Hmmm...

Are they the ones still waiting for the man to come? :?

Sorry. I couldn't resist.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby AntiM » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:09 pm

I don't know about burners, but apparently there is a Kosher Claus.

Some sunshine, some dust, a little paint and a tutu. Yeah.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:34 pm

whats wrong with sporting a turtleneck?
mdmf007

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:48 pm

Nothing!
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby gyre » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:32 pm

skygod wrote:Two years ago I camped next to agroup of Israelis, only one of which had been to BM before, the rest had never even been to the US. I was amazed at their courage, since it was obvious many of them were overwhelmed. (One of them asked me"You people here do whatever you want?") I had a great time eating meals with them and going to their playa wedding.
It was fascinating watching them try to reconcile what they saw with their more constrained lifestyle. Their friendly and hospitable nature overcame their fears.

You met restrained Israelis out there?
That's something I haven't seen yet.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby skygod » Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:04 pm

Their wild-haired scooter-riding one-time burner friend who talked them into coming was not too restrained, but the others seemed semi-shocked at the whole scene around them. Perhaps I misinterpreted their wide open eyes.
I hope I run into them again someday.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:44 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I'm Jewish. I go every year. And I run a concentration camp. Think what you wish.

Now be nice Dr. Pyro we don't want to scare off fresh meat do we?

Just warn him about about soaping up and keeping the butt towards the wall at all time!

about Hashem please bring the black opiated hashem.

Does an orthodox jew need to have his ingested drugs be Kosher? If so you will have to find your drugs at Israel Camp or at least bring it there to be purified!

OK seriously, you can't be orthodox at BM there too much of what is call sinning going on and you can't be just observing, but participating!

AIIZ
Apollonaris Zeus

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks