The most awe-inspiring, odd, truly BM costume you ever saw?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

The most awe-inspiring, odd, truly BM costume you ever saw?

Postby Raheer » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:56 am

I have to know, what is it? For me, strangely, it wasn't even at BM, but at a Sci/Fi Fantasy convention here in Portland, Oregon. It was a young lady in a shoulder-to-knee dress made of white fabric with a pot-leaf print, a pair of wings with the fabric removed and silk pot leaves sewn in place of it, a pair of white shoes with pot leaves painted on, green hair, and a crown of -- you guessed it -- (at least I hope you did...), pot leaves. Only these pot leaves were sewn into a crown shape, and then dipped in gold....

Truly awe-inspiring, the Pot Faerie was....

Raheer[/i]
Raheer

Postby clandyone » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:13 am

I don't know about the best one I ever saw, but I can tell you what my favorites were from this year.

A young man stomping around outside the cafe. He was wearing a dark three-piece suit, a rep tie and wraparound shades, and he was shouting into a cell phone. "I don't run my business that way!" was something I remember hearing. Fine, I thought, mildly funny. Until I walked by him and caught the back view... the suit was backless. From behind, he was entirely naked. The whole arrangement was held on by a belt around his waist, and that was it. It was brilliant. He eventually threw the phone on the ground and stalked off, and I nearly died laughing.

I also liked the guy dressed as the Chrysler building. I don't really know why, but every time I saw him I had a good chuckle.
Won't somebody please think of the children?!
clandyone

Postby Angry Butterfly » Tue Sep 30, 2003 9:16 pm

The Ironic ones were my favorites, too! I loved the guy in the mormon outfit preaching the gospel of Math! I saw a guy in a suit and tie that looked like it was run over by a truck. I also liked this guy who was dressed entirely in gold lame, even his face. The favorite wings I saw were the animated EL ones with a camelback built in, but I wish I had been able to make a pair of the big aluminum fire wings I built for a friend for myself.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby JezebelinHell » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:39 am

The giant disco ball guy looked rather cool.
"The future is a whore, she promises herself to everyone."
--Poe
JezebelinHell

Postby Bambi of Finland » Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:37 pm

I was tired ,dusty and in need of some time away from my campmates. So I started walking to to the cafe. I started to laugh myself into a good cry when I ran across "Our Lady of Guacamole" It was quite an interesting costume, very much like Our Lady of Guadalupe , but with chips. I was all caught up in seeing how it was built and in awe at how this person and their mate dressed as a cardinal were carrying their costumes off. They turned towards me and asked if I would like to feed from the breast of the Holy Mother, aimimg her breast onto a cornchip and unscrewing the cap off of her nipple, the guacamole landed perfectly onto a chip and was placed into my mouth. I had just received the most holy communion of my life .Sometimes the random irreverence slaps a smile right onto my face.
Lost in the Forest
Bambi of Finland

Postby Smudge » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:06 pm

I was at the foot of the man's pedistal as soon as they allowed the crowd to approach and stayed there for a few hours giving people water and I saw the most interesting costume of the whole week. At first I thought it was supposed to look like some sort of tree but I knew that I really didn't get it. He was wearing a backpack frame and had this shaft about a foot wide going up from his shoulders a few feet. Sprouting off of this shaft was a four foot wide dome with streamers hanging from it. At about 1 am I made it over to the church of Wow with that awesome green laser and joined the dancing there. HE was there and everyone was enjoying his dancing tremendously. He would spin and walk through the crowd and dip(he was somewhat tall) and rise and people would chase him around. I mentioned him to my campmate who had seen him as well. She had been chilling with someone who was on acid when this fellow waltzed by spinning with all the streamers tickling people on their heads and shoulders providing a gentle rustling sound and breeze. The girl on sid declared, "wow!, T[color=violet]hat was COOL!!
I was impressed as soon as I figured out he was supposed to be a jellyfish. He put a significant amount of work into that costume and it was rather fun to dance with even if it was from last year's theme.

-Smudge
Smudge

Postby antron » Sat Oct 04, 2003 8:59 pm

to me, i would have to say that it's the variety of bodies we share at burningman. there's every kind, size, shape, texture. i am awed by humanity.
Last edited by antron on Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
antron

fuckin fairies

Postby alice » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:14 pm

check out:http:/www.amybrown art.com

to pick out your fuckin fairy avatar.

ya fuckin fairy!
bitch all you want - it won't change nothin.
alice

Postby muppy » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:21 pm

not really awe-inspiring, but i liked the girl i saw this year with the outfit made out of red licorice!
muppy

Re: fuckin fairies

Postby Kinetic » Sat Oct 04, 2003 9:55 pm

alice wrote:check out:http:/www.amybrown art.com

to pick out your fuckin fairy avatar.

ya fuckin fairy!

Excuse me...yeah, you. You got a problem with fairies? Yeah, there are male fairies, and we have serious wings. Wings that would make you jealous. And I'm not exactly a small fairie, at 255 lbs, 6'4", with martial arts experience I can kick ass if I need to.

So what was you saying about fairies again? You wish you could look this good!

And thanks for the cool link by the way. (grin)
Remember, you make your own BM experience...mine just happens to include wings!
Kinetic

Re: fuckin fairies

Postby alice » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:52 am

Excuse me...yeah, you. You got a problem with fairies? Yeah, there are male fairies, and we have serious wings. Wings that would make you jealous. And I'm not exactly a small fairie, at 255 lbs, 6'4", with martial arts experience I can kick ass if I need to.

So what was you saying about fairies again? You wish you could look this good!

And thanks for the cool link by the way. (grin)
Remember, you make your own BM experience...mine just happens to include wings!

all that blah, blah, blah.....

which one is you?
alice

Postby Angry Butterfly » Sun Oct 05, 2003 7:09 pm

I remembered another one I really liked, the night of the burn i saw a guy dressed as shiva, the costume wasnt perfect, he probably wasnt an artist, but it clearly took a lot of time and effort, which I reallly appriciate. The most truely odd, truely inspiring costume I ever saw was (This is probably cheating) made in a class i was in at RISD called Creature Creation where we made life size puppets. Although there were some that were technicly awesome, the best one was theis huge slug like fat woman that was really an alien that had lost her biomorphic ship, she had this sweet "face" on the top of her body that was really a disguise, and her belly opened to a big, toothy mouth, it really freaked people out when that belly opened up!
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby alice » Mon Oct 06, 2003 2:24 am

Angry Butterfly wrote:I remembered another one I really liked, the night of the burn i saw a guy dressed as shiva, the costume wasnt perfect, he probably wasnt an artist, but it clearly took a lot of time and effort, which I reallly appriciate. The most truely odd, truely inspiring costume I ever saw was (This is probably cheating) made in a class i was in at RISD called Creature Creation where we made life size puppets. Although there were some that were technicly awesome, the best one was theis huge slug like fat woman that was really an alien that had lost her biomorphic ship, she had this sweet "face" on the top of her body that was really a disguise, and her belly opened to a big, toothy mouth, it really freaked people out when that belly opened up!

it's, like, really freaking me out that you guys are'nt here yet!
alice

Postby BroadcastBurner » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:01 am

The one that blew me away the most was this huge dude garbed up as a shaman/zulu and he was walking through the tropical blacklight forest camp (with all the comfy sod everywhere).

His getup was so blacklight friendly and his stature was just towering with all the "low brush" dangling from the make-shift palm trees and the plumes of feathers jumping off of his head dress. There's actually a picture of him standing next to a dude dressed as Gonesh. very cool indeed.
BroadcastBurner

cool costumes

Postby Icepack » Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:57 pm

I didn't see it in person, but saw pictures on the Burning Man website- the spork lady! A white dress and hat all covered in sporks. Very creative!
So many female costumes seem to go toward nudity and sexuality, it was cool to see something that didn't lend itself toward sunburn and also had a very "classy" look to it. Very old-fashioned and very well put together.
Icepack

Postby Tiara » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:29 pm

Icepack,

Sounds like you're talking about Spork from Gigsville. A mutual friend showed me a picture of her wonderful spork dress. Impressive indeed.
Tiara

Re: The most awe-inspiring, odd, truly BM costume you ever s

Postby PurpleKoosh » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:41 pm

Raheer wrote:I have to know, what is it? For me, strangely, it wasn't even at BM, but at a Sci/Fi Fantasy convention here in Portland, Oregon.

Was it at The Other Hotel<tm>? :wink:
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby PurpleKoosh » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:43 pm

clandyone wrote:I also liked the guy dressed as the Chrysler building. I don't really know why, but every time I saw him I had a good chuckle.

And now I've got "The Producers" running through my head.... *laughs, hopes someone gets the reference*
Anything purple is mine. Anything else can be dyed or painted.
PurpleKoosh

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby jenny » Sun Apr 18, 2004 3:02 am

I only saw this one in pictures, but it is awe-insipiring, odd and truly BM to me: it's $teven Ra$pa - and I love it!

http://stevenraspa.com/quick/personas/personas_1/html/2__bm01_d4_r16_01.html
jenny

Postby madmatt » Sun Apr 18, 2004 11:44 pm

BroadcastBurner wrote:huge dude garbed up as a shaman/zulu and he was walking through the tropical blacklight forest camp

That was one of my faves too. I got a great picture of him. When I got home, however, I was slightly put off to see he had painted his skin brown. Kinda reminded me of the white guys playing black guys on vaudeville who had the charcoaled faces and white lips.

I found out his costume is actually quite authentic looking. (I saw some pix of the real thing). Not the neon part obviously.
madmatt

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks