Lights for wings

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Lights for wings

Postby jbelson » Thu Sep 25, 2003 2:27 pm

We saw some people with great wings, fairie and butterfly, with lights around the edges.
Does anyone know what the string of lights was and where to get that sort of thing? Was it a fiber optic? And how easy is it to rig a battery pack for it?

Any input would be great.

JB
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby Hana Hou » Thu Sep 25, 2003 3:22 pm

http://www.elwirecheap.com/

There's one link... Search for el wire - there are many others.
Darwin was right.
Hana Hou

Postby Blenderhead » Fri Sep 26, 2003 1:49 pm

Hana Hou wrote:http://www.elwirecheap.com/

There's one link... Search for el wire - there are many others.

Also, it's all over eBay. I just received a 15-foot length (pre-soldered) and sequencer battery pack for about $20. However, I think I'm going to go ahead and pick up a soldering kit so I can do custom lengths and get more creative with it.

Lord knows I need another hobby.
Blenderhead

Postby jbelson » Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:16 pm

Well, I went to a BOLLYWOOD afterburn party last night and they had a
coolneon.com area where they showcased a lot of their neon light creations. The group is actually called dragondebris (,com) and they had a lot of great stuff. their website is cool. Unfortunately I didn't get to pick any brains for techniques. So I still dont quite understand how it goes. You solder the lights to the power source thingy? And can you solder light together?

Thanks for the info.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Soldering instructions

Postby Blenderhead » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:02 am

Howdy,

here's the link to soldering instructions from one of the el wire sites, just to give you a basic understanding of the process. I haven't done it yet, but will report back with any useful knowledge I gain from the experience (and maybe some useless knowledge too, but that's all relative).

http://www.elwirecheap.com/elwirsolin.html

the entire elwirecheap.com site is pretty informative; check it out!
B.
Blenderhead

Postby Skyhawk » Mon Sep 29, 2003 2:51 pm

EL wire isnt like fiber optics. its an electricly charged element, just like the phosper (sp?) elements that are glowing right now in that big screen in front of you. its made up of a thin copper wire coated with the stuff, then wrapped in Very fine wire and the whole mess is coated in clear plastic tube. pass the right alternating current through the wirews at the correct frequency and it lights up brightly, in many colors that are based on the exact materials and voltages. its fairly flexible and does not produce as much heat nor consume the power needed by neon lights.

the soldering thats mentioned is connecting the embedded wires to battery powered ac adapters that run the lines.

this is jsut an offhand description from somewhere or another, IM sure someone will come along and clear this up, or at least publicly humiliate me for my ignorance. after all, thats one the the founding ideas of the eplaya :wink:

$.02
Skyhawk

Postby Zulegoona » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:59 pm

On some thread, I don't remember witch on some one mentioned Luminex.
I found a web site the shows the fabric and it is really cool from what I can tell it is woven with fiber optic threads incorporated into it. There might also be a light source like el-wire but it was a poorly put together site so I couldn't tell. It appears there are two distributors in the US/Canada region both in New York, and there was now catalog or even a hint at price. Have any of you seen it or worked with it or have a clue on its price? It seems like it comes in different kinds of fabric too and seems like it would be really fun to see what we could do with it.
Zulegoona

Postby THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:12 pm

boy Blenderhead that is the coolest avater next to TestesInSac's.

well slappy white is cool too.
THE ORIGINAL DIGIMAN

Postby Ivy » Sun Oct 05, 2003 11:02 pm

Last I heard, Luminex was running $300/yard.
Ivy

Postby Cruz'n Connie » Mon Oct 27, 2003 8:28 pm

Luminex looks like fantastic stuff!

If it is $300/yard, maybe I'll start with a headband...

http://www.luminex.it/
Cruz'n Connie

Postby Cruz'n Connie » Tue Oct 28, 2003 9:10 am

Here is the U.S. contact for Luminex. I don't have the pricing from them yet. (Looks like you will have to cut & paste this in your browser.)

http://www.zuzka.com/enter.html
Cruz'n Connie

Postby scarlet_minnow » Fri Jan 23, 2004 3:13 pm

Luminex is the bomb. I want some sooooo bad... it's spendy, though. Here's a link to their store:

http://store.luminex.it/
Be who you are and say what you feel... for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind.

-- Dr. Suess
scarlet_minnow

light wings wing lights

Postby mikeylightsit » Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:30 pm

probably strobing el wire sets.

Michael

www.michaelslighttoys.com
keep freedom legal!
mikeylightsit

Postby robotland » Thu Mar 04, 2004 1:34 pm

Just FYI- If you want immediate gratification you can find ELwire in your friendly neighborhood Pep Boys or Auto Zone....The auto packs come with a 12V plug, which you can disassemble and connect a battery pack to. (a 9V battery will work in a pinch.)
These kits usually come with a tube of superglue, which works OK, but there's a fantastic adhesive called GOOP (or Shoe Goo) with which you can tack your ELwire down but peel off clean later....(Goop will bond permanently to fabrics and some porous surfaces, but can be peeled off most smooth, nonporous ones with a little work.)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

CoolNeon El-wire from Hovering Studios Lights You Up!

Postby Hovering » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:13 am

I am an authorized coolneon representative with fantastic service and excellent prices. I've been lighting people up for the playa for a couple of years now.

Visit http://www.hovering.com/coolneon/ for all the details.

AND your purchase goes to help out the ADA (American Diabetes Association) so check it out and let's help find a cure while we light up the night!

Best wishes-
-Hovering
Hovering

goop

Postby Lady Zooty » Sat Apr 24, 2004 1:33 pm

[there's a fantastic adhesive called GOOP (or Shoe Goo) with which you can tack your ELwire down but peel off clean later

i was wondering what to stick EL wire with BUT can i get this stuff over here in england do you know? :?
love and peace,
Lady Zooty and Rev. Zero Jones
Lady Zooty

Postby robotland » Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:52 am

If you can't find it by name,you could try contacting Eclectic Products, Inc.- their technical assistance number is 800-767-4667. I believe the basic compound is called tetrachlorethylene, for what it's worth, and although it's marketed as Shoe Goop, Plumber's Goop, Auto Goop, etc., I have tried all of them and really don't see the difference. (Yes, I DO use a lot of this stuff! It's a wonderful art substance!) In a pinch you should be able to find clear silicone, which shares several properties with GOOP but is less user-friendly. When you buy ELwire kits for car dashboards here in the States, they come with a little tube of Super Glue. Works, but less flexible both literally and figuratively. Good luck and happy hunting!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks