41%
I saw them once... they scare me.
5%
BRING ON THE BLOOD AND CARNAGE!!!!
54%

Total votes : 39

GWAR! in 2004 needs your help

Postby Skarecrow » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:41 am

I riddled a few people with the idea of gwar thumping it out in 2004 at thunder dome (or another sacred battle ground).... after recieving a message from there tour manager it looks like this is now a reality.

Heres the unholy static. There is going to be a booking fee, and I have agreed to be the keepsake and aranger for the whole show.... if anyone is intrested in seeing this battle take place please contact me at my e-mail adress
Kolizionrecords@juno.com

if anyone is willing to help suport and chip in a few dollars..... It would be extremly nice as well..... actually more then helpfull as not only do I have to get the band... I have to purchace Bm tickets as well. what the hell.... if your willing to help for anything.... just send me a message.

As of right now this is JUST a battle.... no music.......
if someone wants to help build a stage....
then...
i'm sure we have music.

-=skarecrow=-
If you throw a cat out of a car window... is it kitty litter?
Skarecrow

Postby LarryHarveysHat » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:54 am

A booking fee? You mean they don't want to do it for free? Don't you know that only BMORG is allowed to make money off of Burning Man? If you're not careful, we'll have to send you to burner re-education camp.
LarryHarveysHat

Postby Skarecrow » Wed Sep 24, 2003 2:08 am

i'm not making money off this.... i'm covering cost by asking for donations.

it gets kinda spendy bringing out a band, paying plane tickets, fees, and entrance to event.

all to have a semi-unanounced show.

this hasn't gone anywhere aside from this site, their agent... and me
Skarecrow

Postby Jordan 10-E » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:34 pm

I'll repost what I did in the other thread about this...

"I say let them buy their own damn tickets. I could understand if you are renting a soundsystem or something, but if they want to come to Burning Man let them fend for themselves like everyone else."

Seriously, let them pay their own way.I think if you pay for all that you are getting shafted and they are getting a free ride and are denied the chance to learn what Burning Man is really about.

This reminds me of the "big name DJ" I talked to about coming to Burning Man and if he wanted he could play at our camp. He told me he had to talk it over with his agent. I didn't push the idea any further. I wanted to say, "Fuck your agent".
Last edited by Jordan 10-E on Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Kinetic » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:37 pm

Obviously someone needs a little education of the concepts of a "gifting economy".

I understand what he's trying to do, but imho it flies in the face of what BM is all about. I'll refrain from getting on my soap box about this and keep the comment simple.
Kinetic

Postby stuart » Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:50 pm

If gwar wants to come to BM, let them foot the bill.
If you want "gwar at burning man camp" take care of it yourself or amongst other "gwar at buring man camp" enthusiasts.

This shit is offensive.
stuart

Postby III » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:04 pm

hmm. i've hung out with daniella (aka slymenstra hymen) on the playa before, and she definitely seemed the type to get it. she was way more into the girlie freak show than qwar though, and it's arguable that the gfs would be a better match for burning man.

isn't this kolizion records person someone who has demonstrated an inablity to get it on the old eplaya as well? i'm old, and memory is always the second thing to go...
III

Postby lurker » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:08 pm

look at it from another angle...

skarecrow wants to bring gwar to the playa so everyone can enjoy them

he's trying to defray his own costs--like someone who wants to set up s kick-ass bar or club'll ask people for help.

as long as no one gets charged to see gwar the people who chip in are gifting everyone with a performance.

now, I'dve thought that gwar would like BM and come on their own--but hey, who'm'I to look a gift horse in the mouth?
lurker

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:13 pm

isn't this kolizion records person someone who has demonstrated an inablity to get it on the old eplaya as well? i'm old, and memory is always the second thing to go...

You're not hallucinating, I remember something very similar, can't remember if it was GWAR, though, or someone else, or if the name was ever mentioned. But I do recall this discussion.
Ivy

Postby stuart » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:18 pm

look at it from another angle...

skarecrow wants to bring gwar to the playa so everyone can enjoy them

It does not much matter to me who he wants to bring or what they do when they get there. Please don't solicit me for money for your theme camp under any circumstances. Shit, at least have a fundraiser. gwar could even play it. Oh, but you'd probably have to pay them and work it out with their agent first.

everyone can enjoy them

are you sure?
stuart

Postby ScottV » Wed Sep 24, 2003 1:54 pm

I don't think that they could live with the limits on commercial promotion at burningman.

They seem very full of themselves.

Charging a fee to perform at Burniningman?
Probably want to sell CDs and DVDs too.

At least we all know now.
ScottV

Postby blyslv » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:22 pm

I was somewhere and somebody handed me a little card. I was all enthusiastic 'cuz I thought he was giving me a gift. Turns out it was an advertisement for his DJ act in Mundania. It harshed my buzz. He saw my face fall as I read it and I think it made some impact.

I have no trouble with people seeking resources to do their art, but I'm not sure this is the place for it. But I've been wrong before.

I will however, be happy to create for food.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:28 pm

Yeah, I find it pretty amusing that everyone is up in arms in this thread when this stuff happens at BM already.
Ivy

Postby III » Wed Sep 24, 2003 3:47 pm

you mean the mutaytor thing? i knew that was going to be a bad idea...
III

Postby Skarecrow » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:33 pm

isn't this kolizion records person someone who has demonstrated an inablity to get it on the old eplaya as well?

i'm not sure exactly what you mean by that.... but it doesn't seem very nice.

how is this IN ANYWAY different from .. "i want to build a roller coaster... e-mail me to help" I'm asuming since there burners so all that meterial is free.

now I don't want to start an internet tard war... because I won't reply if it goes that way.. and i'll simply give in with a big ol "you win cuz yer older and know better"

so if you want to know what i'm up to ... e-mail... as stated before. please don't asume you know my intentions. I hate that.
Skarecrow

Postby Kinetic » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:43 pm

Ivy wrote:Yeah, I find it pretty amusing that everyone is up in arms in this thread when this stuff happens at BM already.

Just because it already happens doesn't mean we can't give them shit over it and try to discourage more of it from happening. It's like the art car / out of control shark thread. Police yourselves. I see this thread as that concept in action.

I'm not offended by it, I just think someone doesn't get what BM is about, or supposed to be.

And the quotes about theme camp fundraising....I agree, don't even ask me on here to do it. If you have a private list like Gigsville or Kidsville does, fine, and if I'm part of that I'll gladly chip in. Maybe it's being partial and biased...but it's how I feel about it.
Kinetic

Postby precipitate » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:47 pm

> i'm not sure exactly what you mean by that

He means that there was someone on the old eplaya with a similar schtick
to this, who refused to "get it"* and was wondering if you were the same
person. Either you're not, or you're playing dumb. Prolly the former.

> please don't asume you know my intentions.

From what you posted, all we know is you're some random asking for our
money to get GWAR on the playa. Evidently that isn't particularly
important or attractive to the people who have responded thus far. You
might want to look for other avenues of fundraising. If enough people
think it's a cool idea, you'll get your money. But I wouldn't count on it,
and if it's important to you you'll need to find another way to make it
happen.

And I'd make very certain GWAR understand the environment they'll be in.
This isn't Kansas, and they can't sell merchandise.

* "it" in this case is that Burning Man is not intended to be a commercial
event, and in the spirit of that, many people (but not the LLC, apparently)
also believe that using the event for commercial promotion is against the
core tenets of Burning Man.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:51 pm

Just because it already happens doesn't mean we can't give them shit over it and try to discourage more of it from happening.

Kinda hard when they are encouraged and partially funded by the Org itself.
Ivy

Postby Kinetic » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:54 pm

Ivy wrote:
Just because it already happens doesn't mean we can't give them shit over it and try to discourage more of it from happening.

Kinda hard when they are encouraged and partially funded by the Org itself.

Don't even get me started on the ORG funding, the over importance of the Esplanade, and other topics. But as much as I bitch about BM, I bitch because I love it and care about it. If I don't bitch, then I no longer care and it's over for me.
Kinetic

Postby precipitate » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:05 pm

> Kinda hard when they are encouraged and partially funded by the Org itself

Hey, maybe Skarecrow should hit up the LLC for art funding. Stranger
things have succeeded.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:18 pm

Hey, maybe Skarecrow should hit up the LLC for art funding. Stranger
things have succeeded.

You know, that's not a bad idea...
Ivy

Postby III » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:21 pm

heh. especially if the theme for next year is "cheesy metal bands that wear big foam rubber outfits and spew a lot of fake body fluids".

he'd be a shoe in.
III

Postby Ivy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:30 pm

the theme for next year is "cheesy metal bands that wear big foam rubber outfits and spew a lot of fake body fluids".

I'm voting for that one!
Ivy

Postby nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:39 pm

Skarecrow wrote:
isn't this kolizion records person someone who has demonstrated an inablity to get it on the old eplaya as well?

i'm not sure exactly what you mean by that.... but it doesn't seem very nice.

how is this IN ANYWAY different from .. "i want to build a roller coaster... e-mail me to help" I'm asuming since there burners so all that meterial is free.

now I don't want to start an internet tard war... because I won't reply if it goes that way.. and i'll simply give in with a big ol "you win cuz yer older and know better"

so if you want to know what i'm up to ... e-mail... as stated before. please don't asume you know my intentions. I hate that.

personally, i would love to help finance having gwar in brc. in fact, all you need to do is say the word and i'll rally the troops and hold a fundraiser. we can do a variety show - singing, dancing, stand-up, poetry slam, fashion show - you name it. i've already got a venue in sf.

not to mention my entire extended burner family would love to help.

all i really care about is getting devoured on stage - all the rest are just petty details.
nymphgonebad

Postby Skarecrow » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:39 pm

send me an e-mail at KolizionRecords@juno.com and we can discuss the matter further. There are a few conditions that I myself have for the band and anyone that helps to make it purly a "you have to be there at the right time to see"

any help is greatly apreciated.... thank you.
Skarecrow

Postby Jordan 10-E » Wed Sep 24, 2003 6:58 pm

I just don't understand it. Why should anyone pay to have them come? If they want to share their "gift" with the rest of us let them, but why should they get paid (ticket, airfare, etc) to do it? Additionally, they are not even providing music under this arrangement, just a "battle". I can find you a hundred costumed people right off the playa that could do the same thing, people that paid their own way to the event. Hell, last time I checked I had to come up with a bunch of money I probably didn't have to make it out. I can imagine they have a few more dollars than I do, why not them? Maybe this is the trend of the future. We can have promoters/theme camp organizers paying to have all kinds of bands to play.

It was also mentioned that somehow this is similar to art installation funding. Sorry it's not. People have the choice to come and participate and share, art has no existence outside of it's creator(s).

Either way Scarecrow, I am not dissing your intentions, you just want to bring a good show to the playa. What I really question is their intentions. They are getting a free ride just because they have some popularity. If they REALLY want to share their talent and effort let them be like the rest of us and pay their own way.

I still think if you pay for it you are just being duped. How many entry tickets, how many plane tickets, etc?... For one battle in the thunderdome? Are you providing their food, water, and shelter too? Maybe you might need to rent an RV for them.

I bought someone's ticket this year (2003) to help pay for the rental of their soundsystem, but it compensated them for an item they would have charged me for even if they had stayed home. I had to rent that soundsystem to make our camp happen, it just happened to be the form of "payment" we agreed upon. Whether I paid for his ticket directly or paid him cash first and he bought his own ticket it still all comes back to renting equipment. I didn't pay him to come perform though, I paid for equipment we needed, he just got to have the Burning man experience in the process. If he only wanted to perform something, no matter how great it was, he would have been buying his own ticket I can tell you that. I could have just as easily paid him some money and let him stay home.

Now with this situation you're helping create what amounts to a paid performance. It's not like we are talking about a generator or construction materials.

Either way, if that is something you really want to do and to share as a gift I say go for it, but that is a lot of money given to people that should be paying their own way to be participants in the experience. People come to Burning Man because they really WANT to, not becasue they were HIRED to do so.

Sorry, I REALLY don't mean to put you down. I just wonder about this arrangement they have proposed. Instead you should be telling their agent how Burning Man normally operates. Non-commerce is a new concept to many people.
Jordan 10-E

Burning Since: 2002

uhhhh.

Postby dis=c0! » Wed Sep 24, 2003 7:16 pm

i'd like to make a motion that this thread get moved to the "Grey Water" discussion. in talking about the money issue, you've got it ALL wrong. trust me.
dis=c0!
.t3chno
dis=c0!

Re: uhhhh.

Postby nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 8:53 pm

dis=c0! wrote:i'd like to make a motion that this thread get moved to the "Grey Water" discussion. in talking about the money issue, you've got it ALL wrong. trust me.

werd, dis=co.

btw, i'm raising money for arnold. let's all pitch in and buy him a bag of clues.
nymphgonebad

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Sep 24, 2003 9:18 pm

Personally, I think GWAR going off at Thunderdome would be a "not-to-be-missed" event. I'd play hooky on damn near anything to see that (lay down a tarp, though...definitely).
That goes for <i>anything</i> they do out there, assuming they do come out.
That having been said...I'm with the "let GWAR pay their own way" side of the issue. I've hung with Slymenstra and a couple of her slaves too, she's <i>very</i> cool, GWAR on the Playa would be great. If they're into it enough that they'd haul <b>all</b> their shit out there, power their camp/event/whatever, concoct a cleanup strategy up to the standards of the rest of the event, and give everyone the chance to come home and say, "Wow, what a great Burn, and GWAR even played out there!!" — then terrific.
But. If I were you, I'd parse the suggestion, and upon positive reception I'd say to them, "Great! Here's where to get in contact with people, here's a packlist of survival and camp gear, here's what you can expect in terms of weather/people/peoples' attitudes/environmental conditions, now let's discuss how you're going to Leave No Trace..."
If their people said anything like "Booking Fee," I'd snicker and tell them Prairie Prince, Todd Rundgren and a number of other rock music luminaries and royal figures go out there and they sweat, pay out the nose and get Playa trenchfoot just like everyone else does. Welcome to Burning Man! DPW just grades the roads and sets up the lantern posts and Center Camp, it's YOU THE PEOPLE who build this City! :D
If they go greedy corporate type and say, "Oh, no way then," file it under the "Wouldn't it be cool if [XX] happened out there?"/Didn't pan out" heading :/
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby nymphgonebad » Wed Sep 24, 2003 10:51 pm

i'm pretty sure the members of gwar are burners.

and thanks for pointing out, diane, just how godwaful their overhead is.

and we think we have a lot of stuff.
nymphgonebad

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks